• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

GoshinX03

Pride & Power
Okay, so I'm considering participating in the upcoming WiFi tournament, and I want to know would it be unwise/foolish to run a straight Psychic team? Even more so with just Psychic Pokemon that I'm actually able to breed?

Zachmac

Okay, so I'm considering participating in the upcoming WiFi tournament, and I want to know would it be unwise/foolish to run a straight Psychic team? Even more so with just Psychic Pokemon that I'm actually able to breed?
Monoteams struggle both defensively and offensively, as their types make it difficult to cover their teammate's weakness. Also, only using psychic type will restrict your competitive options, so it'll be more difficult to find a pokemon that fits perfectly onto your team.

So, if you're playing to win, don't. But if you aren't, then you can do whatever you want. No point stressing over a win that you don't really want that much, right?

CaptPonyholder

I looked at PokeCheck, but they show a bunch of low levels (1+) with IV's of 30's, etc. How did they get IV's that high? I can not get a single IV above 6 for a freshly hatched eevee?

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
I looked at PokeCheck, but they show a bunch of low levels (1+) with IV's of 30's, etc. How did they get IV's that high? I can not get a single IV above 6 for a freshly hatched eevee?
they have an account and upload it to pokecheck, in order for almost any iv calculator to be close to accurate the poke has to be leveled like at least 35 i want to say

Ðew™

Definition of insanity

They got it by breeding for IVs. Read the serebii.net guide to get a better understanding, google whatever else you don't understand. Just a fair warning, IVs get really complicated.

CaptPonyholder

... I am so confused. I want to get my Eevee the right IV's for my Glaceon, but I dont' want to attack or level up my Eevee and gain it unecessary EV's.

Or is there some sort of calculator for IV's that I don't know of that completely changes the IV set that I don't see as a level 1? I just look over to my stats and notice they are all 6's, that is what I am basing it off of for my eevee's.

Also if my Glaceon requires IV's of 30 SpA/SpD, does that mean I just need to get those two IV's and be fine with everything else? I looked on Smogon, but I can't see what the IV's I need are.

EDIT: Also, how do I know my eevee will evolve with the right ability? I don't think an Eevee can have an Snow Cloak and assume it will change to one of the two abilities for Glaceon?

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
... I am so confused. I want to get my Eevee the right IV's for my Glaceon, but I dont' want to attack or level up my Eevee and gain it unecessary EV's.

Or is there some sort of calculator for IV's that I don't know of that completely changes the IV set that I don't see as a level 1? I just look over to my stats and notice they are all 6's, that is what I am basing it off of for my eevee's.

Also if my Glaceon requires IV's of 30 SpA/SpD, does that mean I just need to get those two IV's and be fine with everything else? I looked on Smogon, but I can't see what the IV's I need are.

EDIT: Also, how do I know my eevee will evolve with the right ability? I don't think an Eevee can have an Snow Cloak and assume it will change to one of the two abilities for Glaceon?
the stats you see in game are not ivs, if you follow the steps and upload eevee to pokecheck, you will see 3 columns when you look at your poke, evs ivs and stats. what i think you are referring to are stats and also a dw ability eevee will evolve into a dw ability glaceon(ice body) and a non dw eevee will evolve into a non dw glaceon(snow cloak)

CaptPonyholder

Okay, that makes sense then.

My only question now is: How do I get my Eevee's to breed the correct IVs? For example: Eevee 1 is Female with IV's specializing in Health, but weak in SpD and SpA. However Male Eevee 5 is strong in SpA at 30 (what I need), but weak in SpD. Would the offspring keep the SpD and HP or would it still be completely random?

Also: How the hell have I gone through 15 eevee's all being male? It should be 50/50 for Male/Female right? Am I THAT unlucky? Is there any easy way to assure that I get a Female? Is there a secret to getting a quiet nature as well?

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)

My only question now is: How do I get my Eevee's to breed the correct IVs? For example: Eevee 1 is Female with IV's specializing in Health, but weak in SpD and SpA. However Male Eevee 5 is strong in SpA at 30 (what I need), but weak in SpD. Would the offspring keep the SpD and HP or would it still be completely random?

Also: How the hell have I gone through 15 eevee's all being male? It should be 50/50 for Male/Female right? Am I THAT unlucky? Is there any easy way to assure that I get a Female? Is there a secret to getting a quiet nature as well?

every species has determined m/f ratios, eevees is 87.5% m and 12.5% f and also i would say if you download a flawless eevee from pokecheck and have it hold one of the power items,breed it, and you can guarantee that the offspring have 31 in that stat, then take it to the battle subway guy and have him tell you what (if more than one) ivs are flawless, by saying that they cant be better

Ðew™

Definition of insanity

Koolaidman answered your last question, and now on to your first.

Remember how i said stuff was gonna get complicated? RNG is what's gonna make it that way. The offspring would keep those, however, it's by a random chance. If you learn how to rng, you'll guarentee the offspring getting the desired IVs.

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
Koolaidman answered your last question, and now on to your first.

Remember how i said stuff was gonna get complicated? RNG is what's gonna make it that way. The offspring would keep those, however, it's by a random chance. If you learn how to rng, you'll guarentee the offspring getting the desired IVs.
precisely, i was just trying to keep it simple lol :p

Ðew™

Definition of insanity
One more question: If the guide asks for an IV set of 30 SpD/SpA and 3 Spe, does that only want 3 Spe and nothing higher?

Depends on the goal.

For a hidden power, there's probably a few higher variations of it, while if you're trying to make it a sweeper poke, you'll definitely want it higher.

CaptPonyholder

I got the *almost* perfect eevee with the last breeding. It was Female, with 31 in SpA, but only 26 in SpD, with a 4 in Spe. It has one more SpA than what was listed and 4 less SpD than recommended. Is 4 less SpD going to really affect much of anything?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Does this guide you're following have the Glaceon knowing a specific version of Hidden Power? Probably HP-Ground? If so, the type and base power of Hidden Power are determined by an algorithm that uses your six IVs as the inputs to the function. Any variation in any of your IVs will result in a Hidden Power with a different type and power. If the guide is giving IVs that are that specific, it's probably their opinion on the best way to get that particular type of Hidden Power while still maintaining the maximum base power (which for HP is 70).

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Wait... what? I thought Hidden Power was just some useless move?

Eek.

Hidden Power is one of the most useful and widely used moves in the game. It is the only way for many special attackers to get certain type coverage. However, you didn't answer the question. Does your guide suggest Hidden Power as one of the moves? If so, that explains why the suggested IVs are so specific, and if that is the case, then you would have to get those exact IVs in every stat.

Btw, Hidden Power Ground is a standard move for Glaceon.