• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

LuciferHobo

Hello~ :D
Okay... good to know I won't be at a huge disadvantage... And that Gible was just pure luck... the other IV bred Pokemon I have are a 31 in HP, DEF, SpDEF and ATT Larvitar(I named it Godzilla ;] ) and a Beldum with 31 in HP, DEF and ATT(All these three are outstanding and on my SS)
From what I understood when you breed you only get like 3 IVs from the parents so I don't think I can breed for flawless Pokemon like those RNG'd.. I'm pretty sure that Gible was just luck and that I won't get anymore Pokemon like it(And now I want one with its hidden ability..)
So anyways thank you all for your answers, I hope these RNG'd won't come by very often and I have a few more questions I just thought about:
1.If I keep breeding the same Pokemon which has high IVs until it gets more and more, would that work? or is it true that only 3 IVs are passed down and that Gible was just luck?
2.So far on my in-game teams I only used offensive moves, not any status... Should I start using those? I mean like, while the opponent uses all these status moves I usually knock them out... but just in-game...
3.I've seen competitive battles on Youtube(I watch ThePikaWu and Haydunn) and I notice people are switching too often... is that some sort of a strategy? I just think it's annoying having to switch every 2nd Pokemon, can't there be like competitive battles without switching too much? Or do everyone act like that?
4.How do I start all this business? Like, starting an online competitive career
5.Any tips? :\
Sorry for these long posts ._.

^ #3- Why wouldn't you switch if a pokemon that would obviously kill you comes in? Say you have a Tyranitar in, and the opponent sends in a terrakion. Would you stay in? No. Obviously you should switch. It gets much more complicated though. Basically, you have to predict what the opponent will switch to so you can have a favorable matchup. Then you have to predict the opponent's switching, so you can hit a pokemon hard. The main thing you have to learn is how to work out in your head the most logical course of action for your opponent, and therefore you. You also have to figure out the safest play if you don't know what the opponent will do. This is called prediction.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Comments in bold.

1. If I keep breeding the same Pokemon which has high IVs until it gets more and more, would that work? or is it true that only 3 IVs are passed down and that Gible was just luck?

Okay you only pass on 3 IVs total from both parents at most(sometimes you only pass done 1 or 2 so you at best you have a 1/12 chance of passing down IVs if you don't use the power items.) This is for 5th gen I think I read somewhere that you pass down 3 from each parent in HG/SS but I'm not sure. I breed on white 2 to pass down abilities and natures faster.

2.So far on my in-game teams I only used offensive moves, not any status... Should I start using those? I mean like, while the opponent uses all these status moves I usually knock them out... but just in-game...

In game and competitive are very different and status is a big support option. I generally don't use status except for will-o-wisp on my Rotom-C/W and Toxic on my Politoed but those do come in handy from time to time, other support options include taunt and tail wind as they can really help in doubles and in the case of taunt single battles.

3.I've seen competitive battles on Youtube(I watch ThePikaWu and Haydunn) and I notice people are switching too often... is that some sort of a strategy? I just think it's annoying having to switch every 2nd Pokemon, can't there be like competitive battles without switching too much? Or do everyone act like that?

Like the guy above or below me depending on how you have your veiw of the forum set you don't want to leave in a pokemon that is going to die or do nothing to an opponent. If you have Blissey vs calm mind Jirachi You well switch as Jirachi well calm mind to +6 and then try to kill Blissey and if it has Psyshock you are screwed for the rest of the match. If your pokemon is going to faint then your better of swapping or letting die to get a revenge kill but it all depends on the situation.

4.How do I start all this business? Like, starting an online competitive career

If you can play pokemon showdown then try it and go to smogon, if not then go to smogon anyway they have a lot of information on competitive battling. If you want to participate in the video game tournaments by nintendo then You well need to play your ds and breed a good team. Smogon can help you there as well.

5.Any tips? :\

The above tips and also look at popular teams and how they work that might help you pick a style or strategy.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
On Gothitelle's Smogon page it says that only male Gothitelle are allowed to have Shadow Tag. I've looked into it, but can not figure out how gender makes a difference. Why are only males allowed to have Shadow Tag?

KillerDraco

On Gothitelle's Smogon page it says that only male Gothitelle are allowed to have Shadow Tag. I've looked into it, but can not figure out how gender makes a difference. Why are only males allowed to have Shadow Tag?

Because Gothitelle is not regularly available in the Dream World. Gothoritas with their Dream World Ability (Shadow Tag) were given away as a Global Link promotion, but these promotional Gothoritas (and thus, Gothitelles) were all male; ergo, the only legitimate, non-hacked Shadow Tag Gothitelles are male.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Because Gothitelle is not regularly available in the Dream World. Gothoritas with their Dream World Ability (Shadow Tag) were given away as a Global Link promotion, but these promotional Gothoritas (and thus, Gothitelles) were all male; ergo, the only legitimate, non-hacked Shadow Tag Gothitelles are male.
Ah, thanks for clarifying that for me.

poyplemcmuffins

Hello all,
I am competing in VGC soon and i had a question about my team. I have a pretty crippling weakness to rain teams (i have a cresselia chandelure ursaring rhyperior gliscor and dragonite) and the only supereffective move i have is energy ball on my chandelure. I was wondering, should i switch out my ursaring for a toxicroak to counter rain? All opinions are welcome thank you for replying

KillerDraco

Hello all,
I am competing in VGC soon and i had a question about my team. I have a pretty crippling weakness to rain teams (i have a cresselia chandelure ursaring rhyperior gliscor and dragonite) and the only supereffective move i have is energy ball on my chandelure. I was wondering, should i switch out my ursaring for a toxicroak to counter rain? All opinions are welcome thank you for replying

You might want to drop Rhyperior as Rain will ruin him 100% of the time, with his 4x weakness to water, poor special defense, and nonexistent speed. Ursaring isn't really worth much either, as he's pretty much outclassed by Conkeldurr.

If you're looking for a hard counter to rain, Toxicroak isn't it. He may absorb water, but his low special defense means he can't take repeated perfectly accurate Thunders, and a single perfectly accurate Hurricane will end him. Toxicroak is actually used on rain teams to break through rain-counters such as Ferrothorn and Blissey. To that end, try something like Ferrothorn or Rotom-W for dealing with Rain, both of whom have the bulk and resistances to take common attacks of rain teams, and the STABs to bite back hard.

poyplemcmuffins

You might want to drop Rhyperior as Rain will ruin him 100% of the time, with his 4x weakness to water, poor special defense, and nonexistent speed. Ursaring isn't really worth much either, as he's pretty much outclassed by Conkeldurr.

If you're looking for a hard counter to rain, Toxicroak isn't it. He may absorb water, but his low special defense means he can't take repeated perfectly accurate Thunders, and a single perfectly accurate Hurricane will end him. Toxicroak is actually used on rain teams to break through rain-counters such as Ferrothorn and Blissey. To that end, try something like Ferrothorn or Rotom-W for dealing with Rain, both of whom have the bulk and resistances to take common attacks of rain teams, and the STABs to bite back hard.

I am probably going to drop ursaring for a rain stopper and keep rhyperior for the things it is bad against. But the question is, which should i choose? I would like one that is an attacker and can function well in or out of trick room. Thanks for any suggestions

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I am probably going to drop ursaring for a rain stopper and keep rhyperior for the things it is bad against. But the question is, which should i choose? I would like one that is an attacker and can function well in or out of trick room. Thanks for any suggestions

As KillerDraco said, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn are both excellent rain checks. If you want a physical attacker (I assume that's what you meant by "an attacker") and something that can work with TR though, Ferrothorn would probably be a better bet. It is a powerful physical attacker and can work in (low speed) or out (Gyro Ball) of TR, I would imagine.

poyplemcmuffins

As KillerDraco said, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn are both excellent rain checks. If you want a physical attacker (I assume that's what you meant by "an attacker") and something that can work with TR though, Ferrothorn would probably be a better bet. It is a powerful physical attacker and can work in (low speed) or out (Gyro Ball) of TR, I would imagine.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am going to use it and hopefully it will work!

Cena_#1

100% stratusfaction
Hello everyone!

I haven't played much Pokemon for a while now. I used to play competitively in DDPt days but I've stopped when I heard that Gamefreak stopped the "Level shoots to 100 when you play online" opition. This was a year or so ago. I'm back now and I want to play competitvely again.

Here's my question, what kind of strategy do I want follow if I want to level up my Pokemon to 100 quickly after I EV train them.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Hello everyone!

I haven't played much Pokemon for a while now. I used to play competitively in DDPt days but I've stopped when I heard that Gamefreak stopped the "Level shoots to 100 when you play online" opition. This was a year or so ago. I'm back now and I want to play competitvely again.

Here's my question, what kind of strategy do I want follow if I want to level up my Pokemon to 100 quickly after I EV train them.

Use the Lucky Egg you get from Professor Juniper obviously. When I'm level grinding, I Audino grind on that route south of Undella Town, battle Cynthia, Cheren, and Bianca. However, the bulk of the experience comes from the stadiums in Nimbasa; post-E4, they all have multiple Pokemon over 60, which can yield 3-4 levels a day even into the 80s and 90s.

Cena_#1

100% stratusfaction
I also have another question. If I use up all of the points of the effort value and then I go to level up my Pokemon by batteling random Pokemon, does it affect the distribution of the effort values on my Pokemon?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I also have another question. If I use up all of the points of the effort value and then I go to level up my Pokemon by batteling random Pokemon, does it affect the distribution of the effort values on my Pokemon?

Once you add any amount of EVs to any stat, there is nothing that can take away or otherwise nullify those EVs except for the EV reducing berries. Battling random stuff after you've maxed your EVs is completely safe.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Hello everyone!

Pokemon w2/b2 have the dojo in join avenue if you lv that up you can get your pokemon up to lv 100 very quickly also the deli is another store in join avenue that well lv you pokemon up. a few runs though the elite 4 or the nimbasa city sports areas well get you some additional lv ups and the cash need for the join avenue stores. If playing on b1/w1 then battle cheren the sports domes audino and the elite four for fast lv ups.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Which Pokemon have Hidden Abilities that make them superior than their non-hidden ability counterparts? (i.e. Drizzle Politoed)

KillerDraco

Which Pokemon have Hidden Abilities that make them superior than their non-hidden ability counterparts? (i.e. Drizzle Politoed)

That's... a pretty long list. I'm not sure I could name them all off the top of my head.

Politoed, Ninetales, Blaziken, Sharpedo, Alakazam, Espeon, Xatu, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Cinccino, Gothitelle, Chandelure, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Dragonite, Mamoswine, Ditto, Gliscor, Tentacruel, Venusaur, and probably many others who I can't remember should always use their Dream World ability if it's available to them.

Heracross, Salamence, Breloom, Gyarados and probably several others I'm forgetting have DW abilities that can be better, but their default abilities are still very viable.

AceTrainerBen

Hi everyone :)

I've recently got into EV training pokemon, and have my head around mostly every aspect, apart from natures..... my question is simple: how do natures affect ev's.

is it a 10% boost / drop added to the stat or ev's when the pokemon is in battle?

is it a 10% boost / drop to growth speed when training

or is it a 10 % boost / drop to how you can spread e.v's

I look forward to your help! I know it may seem obvious but if you look around the internets it mostly says an increase and that about its, which is a bit vague to say the least.

;)

KillerDraco

Hi everyone :)

I've recently got into EV training pokemon, and have my head around mostly every aspect, apart from natures..... my question is simple: how do natures affect ev's.

is it a 10% boost / drop added to the stat or ev's when the pokemon is in battle?

is it a 10% boost / drop to growth speed when training

or is it a 10 % boost / drop to how you can spread e.v's

I look forward to your help! I know it may seem obvious but if you look around the internets it mostly says an increase and that about its, which is a bit vague to say the least.

;)

It's 10% max or min for the stat. It does not affect EVs at all; 252 EVs is still going to give 63 stat points regardless of if it's a positive nature, a neutral nature, or a negative nature.