• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

AceTrainerBen

Thanks I really do appreaciate it, KillerDraco! :) I guess it's a bit like an held item boost then, except the increase is always there, out of your control, and solely increases / decreases stats.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Which Pokemon have Hidden Abilities that make them superior than their non-hidden ability counterparts? (i.e. Drizzle Politoed)

It's a very debate-able topic. Of course, some abilities are just straight out better than others (eg. Mamoswine's Thick Fat > Oblivious, Pikachu's Lightningrod > Static) while some have just really bad DW Abilities that they're almost the same (Delibird's Vital Spirit & Insomnia, Unfezant's Big Pecks & Rivalry) etc etc, or they're debate-able. For example, Gyarados that are more defensively inclined may tend to run Intimidate over Moxie. However, some prefer Moxie as it allows them to sweep after Dragon Dance. Scraggy in LC falls under the same band. Moxie vs Shed Skin. Moxie helps to kill stuff in its path, but Shed Skin is also useful, since a burn can damage your sweep.

Lugia also suffers from the Pressure vs Multiscale thing. Pressure helps stall out Arceus's Extremespeeds, while Multiscale allows Lugia to take really powerful hits (boosted Arceus) and phase it out. Yeah, it's all depending on the situation and how it fits the team.

MSK

Not sure if this has been asked before but would a Hidden Power with power 60 get the boost from Technician, thereby giving it 90 power?
Just wondering if there was any viable way to work an HP 60 and what IV's you'd need.

KillerDraco

Not sure if this has been asked before but would a Hidden Power with power 60 get the boost from Technician, thereby giving it 90 power?
Just wondering if there was any viable way to work an HP 60 and what IV's you'd need.

It's possible but generally not worth it.

Most viable user of Technician has high attack and low special attack. You wouldn't use Hidden Power on things like Scizor, Hitmontop, Ambipom, Breloom, or Cinccino simply because they lack the special attack to effectively utilize it.

Dream World Roserade might be able to, but its other attacks (Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, etc.) don't get a Technician Boost, and it misses out on Natural Cure to prevent it from being crippled by status effects. Mr. Mime's in the same boat; its best moves don't get boosted by Technician, and thus its generally outclassed by Nasty Plot sets. That, and Mr. Mime itself is generally outclassed so you wouldn't use it in the first place.

Technician Hidden Power is nothing short of a gimmick.

Mr.Bento

Pikachuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Hi everyone! I am going to use a trick room sweeper (kingler) on my team, and so I have already given it 252 attack EVs. Kingler's defense stat is very good (115) while it's special defense stat is miserable (50). Since I don't need speed and have extra EV's for defenses, should I try to balance the two defense stats, focus on defense, or focus on special defense? Also I will be also using focus sash/flail as back-up so should a raised special defense stat affect this strategy?

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Hi everyone! I am going to use a trick room sweeper (kingler) on my team, and so I have already given it 252 attack EVs. Kingler's defense stat is very good (115) while it's special defense stat is miserable (50). Since I don't need speed and have extra EV's for defenses, should I try to balance the two defense stats, focus on defense, or focus on special defense? Also I will be also using focus sash/flail as back-up so should a raised special defense stat affect this strategy?

If you want to use focus sash I would say DON'T boost it's defenses. Flail will do maximum damage at 1 hp so if anything you should drop them. Ignoring the Flail situation, you could always just dump them into hp, 50 sp def isn't going to be good anytime soon

AxelWolf

Arcanine lover!
I am about to compete in this month's International Challenge for April for double battles and I am not sure what I am going to do with Lucario. What I mean is that he has a adamant nature and has two physical and two special attacks, which the special attacks are Aura Sphere and Focus Blast. I know I need to drop them but I have no idea what moves I should have him learn instead.

KillerDraco

I am about to compete in this month's International Challenge for April for double battles and I am not sure what I am going to do with Lucario. What I mean is that he has a adamant nature and has two physical and two special attacks, which the special attacks are Aura Sphere and Focus Blast. I know I need to drop them but I have no idea what moves I should have him learn instead.

Swords Dance, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, Ice Punch with Life Orb is your standard physical Lucario. And it's pretty self explanatory as well.

Livingtime

If an ability is changed or suppressed by Gastro Acid or Simple Beam for example, does the Pokemon effected get there ability back when switching out? Or is it stuck the entire battle?

killercloud

Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best way is to check IVs on a level 1 UT pokemon. I have heard that it's possible to check them by doing an online battle and forcing the pokemon to level 50 and then putting those stats into an IV calculator. Where do I do such battle? I don't want to put any EVs into my gastly without checking it first. Thanks for any help.

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best way is to check IVs on a level 1 UT pokemon. I have heard that it's possible to check them by doing an online battle and forcing the pokemon to level 50 and then putting those stats into an IV calculator. Where do I do such battle? I don't want to put any EVs into my gastly without checking it first. Thanks for any help.
you can upload the pokemon to pokecheck and it will tell you

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
That battle place in Nimbasa City will temporarily raise them to level 50. You can check the stats using that.

Livingtime

Battle Subway. It's offline and you it's level 50.

killercloud

Ah brilliant, thanks. I've been just levelling them up a little and incoroporating any EVs i may have taken and it gives me a guesstimate on an online calculator.

koolaidman594

(>^__^)> <(^__^<)
depends on the setting, with trick room, conkeldurr hand down, in other settings, breloom mostly due to spore

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Guts Conkeldurr is devastatingly good while he lasts, but since he lacks recovery beyond Drain Punch, he's pretty easy to just stall out until he kills himself. I would agree that Breloom is probably better as a general purpose sweeper.

happinas

fairy~
what would be the most reliable team for incorporating a blissey in it nowadays?
i've just restarted, and am not up to date with any metagame yet..