• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

stu86

Hey guys, first time posting, just a quick question. A few times now I have come across a tyranitar that outspeeds my timid, speed ev'd latios when on wifi battles. If a choice scarf multiplies your speed by 1.5, that still wouldn't be enough would it? Is there something I'm not seeing here?

KillerDraco

Hey guys, first time posting, just a quick question. A few times now I have come across a tyranitar that outspeeds my timid, speed ev'd latios when on wifi battles. If a choice scarf multiplies your speed by 1.5, that still wouldn't be enough would it? Is there something I'm not seeing here?

Max Speed for an unboosted Latios is 350.
Max Speed for an unboosted Tyranitar is 243.

A choice scarf puts Tyranitar's speed at 364.5, which is in fact enough to outspeed your Latios.

stu86

Ahhh thanks alot. I see what I was doing wrong. I forgot that my ttar has no speed IV's. So after factoring in ev's and nature I was still coming up quite short.

Astrint

Breeding Star
how often are hp sapping moves used in competitive battling?

Astrint

Breeding Star
Do you mean moves like Leech Life or Drain Punch? Moves like those two are pretty common.

Well i meant any moves that sap hp. Leech seed and all of those related. I'm thinking of the option of a liquid ooze Tentacruel. I'm trying to avoid a trade for rain dish tentacruel.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I haven't been back here in a while, but just wondering where I should post a thread to rate a Battle Subway team for Pokemon White?

Never mind, I found it.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Well i meant any moves that sap hp. Leech seed and all of those related. I'm thinking of the option of a liquid ooze Tentacruel. I'm trying to avoid a trade for rain dish tentacruel.

Drain Punch is the most common HP sapping move you'll see competitively, at least on its own. Leech Seed will almost always be accompanied by Substitute. However, those are the only two big ones. A Tentacruel would already force a switch against anything using Drain Punch, and would be in the opposite position against anything using SubSeed. There's no reason to run Liquid Ooze on Tentacruel over Rain Dish.

NeptuneCloyster

Squadallah
How come the option of Giga Drain on Volcarona never seems popular? it's great on rock and water types, and is good for healing, especially after quiver dance. Is there a flaw i'm unaware of?

Astrint

Breeding Star
Drain Punch is the most common HP sapping move you'll see competitively, at least on its own. Leech Seed will almost always be accompanied by Substitute. However, those are the only two big ones. A Tentacruel would already force a switch against anything using Drain Punch, and would be in the opposite position against anything using SubSeed. There's no reason to run Liquid Ooze on Tentacruel over Rain Dish.

Ah. I guess I have no choice but to go for the dish. Thank you ^^

How come the option of Giga Drain on Volcarona never seems popular? it's great on rock and water types, and is good for healing, especially after quiver dance. Is there a flaw i'm unaware of?

Actually, it's very popular. Giga Drain was used on about half of all Volcarona according to last month's moveset statistics. It's one of Volcarona's best and most reliable ways of getting past Pokemon like Terrakion, Keldeo, and Jellicent.

ger9119

Where can I go to find tier listings that isn't smogon? I'm not sure their "Blaziken in Ubers" thing is all that good.

I'm pretty sure Pokemon Online has there own tier lists found on there website/main server. Even though i think mostly everyone is in agreeance with blazkien in ubers

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I'm pretty sure Pokemon Online has there own tier lists found on there website/main server. Even though i think mostly everyone is in agreeance with blazkien in ubers

Also, keep in mind that if you say "standard rules" to anyone and don't mean Smogon's tiers, people are going to misunderstand you. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't use anything but what Smogon uses, but regardless of what people think of them it is the standard. And remember that Smogon isn't the only tiering system with seemingly arbitrary, Blaziken-esque decisions. PO's tiers have some weird nuances to them as well; I remember one that really struct me once was that they put Roserade in OU when it was in UU on Smogon.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
Also, keep in mind that if you say "standard rules" to anyone and don't mean Smogon's tiers, people are going to misunderstand you. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't use anything but what Smogon uses, but regardless of what people think of them it is the standard. And remember that Smogon isn't the only tiering system with seemingly arbitrary, Blaziken-esque decisions. PO's tiers have some weird nuances to them as well; I remember one that really struct me once was that they put Roserade in OU when it was in UU on Smogon.

Gastrodon is NU on PO, as well as Manectric, Scyther, and Houndoom. Not to mention the massive amount of broken and non-broken pokes sitting in PO's BL including Latias, Kyu-B, Reuni, Haxorus, Smeargle, and Froslass. Yeah...PO makes some weird decisions :/. But yeah, Blaziken will be Ubers on pretty much every simulator there is. It's just broken with speed boost + swords dance and 2 high powered STAB's. Sorry.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ity-simulator-statistics-—-june-2013.3485472/

There you go! That section of the forum is where they post the usage stats for each month. If you scroll down to the small section titled "Moveset Statistics," you'll find links for each tier. There you can look up each Pokemon (ordered by usage) and see what the most popular moves, items, etc. were for that Pokemon in the past month (I recommend using Ctrl + F to search more quickly).

SceptileFan

I AM RACCOON MAN
I need help with team building. I'm fairly new to Competitive, and I can do pretty well on Showdown with a SmashPass team my friend designed. But when it comes to designing my own team, I'm useless. I've read team building guides and watched team building videos, but none seem to help me. Whenever I try to build my own team, I rarely win with it if I do. Part of that might be my stupidity (using Toxic on a Magic Guard Alakazam), but part of it might be bc my team lacks "synergy," whatever that means. So do you have any general team building advice? Or a link to a good team building guide? This novice would greatly appreciate it :D