• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
What did he mean by this???

o god i hope they dont calc then

You don't even need to calc, you'll be doing significantly less damage with Splash Plate (or Mystic Water if you're a noob) than Specs anyways, and the lack of LO recoil rules out a Life Orb set.

If you want the freedom to switch attacks then obviously Life Orb is the way to go. Splash Plate has a niche in that it doesn't have a drawback, but the slight health loss is a small price to pay for a sizable 33% boost to all your moves, and IIRC there's a few notable KOs that Splash Plate misses out on compared to LO/Specs. There's other options too (Scarf, Air Balloon, and Assault Vest really) but if we're talking raw power here Specs or LO is the way to go.

Zeldax

1. Should I keep this Celebi? 31/19/31/31/30/31 Docile Nature. I was going for Bold but I've been SR-ing for days now so that I can get my other Mystery Gifts (I still have Jirachi, Shiny XY Legendaries, Legendary Birds, Mew voucher, and Manaphy) so I can reset my game (so I can get the right natures for the in-game legendaries)

2. What is the best offensive, defensive, and overall best setup for Mew?

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
1. Should I keep this Celebi? 31/19/31/31/30/31 Docile Nature. I was going for Bold but I've been SR-ing for days now so that I can get my other Mystery Gifts (I still have Jirachi, Shiny XY Legendaries, Legendary Birds, Mew voucher, and Manaphy) so I can reset my game (so I can get the right natures for the in-game legendaries)

2. What is the best offensive, defensive, and overall best setup for Mew?

1 no, Celebi is a niche pick, check on Smogon for his sets.

2 Mew sucks offensively, unless you use a mono attacker with BP... And even there it still sucks. Defensive Mew got its perks, you tailor him for what you need, the concensus lies on impish or Jolly for speed creep defensive with wathever support options you want, knock off/uturn Defog/rocks and taunt/wisp with recover on last slot is the way to go for Mew as there is nothing else it can accomplish despite its move pool.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
1 no, Celebi is a niche pick, check on Smogon for his sets.

2 Mew sucks offensively, unless you use a mono attacker with BP... And even there it still sucks. Defensive Mew got its perks, you tailor him for what you need, the concensus lies on impish or Jolly for speed creep defensive with wathever support options you want, knock off/uturn Defog/rocks and taunt/wisp with recover on last slot is the way to go for Mew as there is nothing else it can accomplish despite its move pool.

Getting a Mew with Defog requires that it be taught the move in HG/SS, transferred to a 5th gen game, and then transferred again via Pokebank to your 6th gen game. So it's quite a bit of a a chore and requires that you have a copy of HG or SS, a copy of Black, White, Black 2, or White 2, Pokebank, and a Mew from an older event.

It's kind of like a Chansey with Wish. It's just not viable in-game unless you're willing to use a hacked or Pokegenned Pokemon.

It also doesn't get Recover so I'm gonna assume you meant Roost.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Getting a Mew with Defog requires that it be taught the move in HG/SS, transferred to a 5th gen game, and then transferred again via Pokebank to your 6th gen game. So it's quite a bit of a a chore and requires that you have a copy of HG or SS, a copy of Black, White, Black 2, or White 2, Pokebank, and a Mew from an older event.

It's kind of like a Chansey with Wish. It's just not viable in-game unless you're willing to use a hacked or Pokegenned Pokemon.

Better than using an inferior offensive attempt.

Simply put you could run SR or Stallbreaker Mew, let's be honest Mew sucks unless used as utility hazard support or a Stallbreaker, offensive Mew is a sad joke low ladder players attempt or wifi dudes that got an offensive nature one shiny in wonder trade attempt to use and fail miserably.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Better than using an inferior offensive attempt.

I... don't think you understand.

It's impossible to get a Mew with Defog without having a copy of HG/SS, a copy of a 5th gen game, Pokebank, and an older Mew event that can be transferred to HG/SS. It's not a matter of whether or not it's better than an offensive set, it's a matter of it being impossible to get one of the new event Mews with Defog. Support sets that don't rely on Defog are still an option, like Baton Pass and SR.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I... don't think you understand.

It's impossible to get a Mew with Defog without having a copy of HG/SS, a copy of a 5th gen game, Pokebank, and an older Mew event that can be transferred to HG/SS. It's not a matter of whether or not it's better than an offensive set, it's a matter of it being impossible to get one of the new event Mews with Defog. Support sets that don't rely on Defog are still an option, like Baton Pass and SR.

And you are trying to defend an extremely outclassed set with that? He asked for the most effective set, I answered.

Offensive Mew is garbage, Defog Mew has nice utility, Stallbreaker Mew is it's best set for this metagame.

Simply put trying to diminish the effectiveness of Mew real niche over availability is pointless in this discussion, stop pretending it is.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
And you are trying to defend an extremely outclassed set with that? He asked for the most effective set, I answered.

Offensive Mew is garbage, Defog Mew has nice utility, Stallbreaker Mew is it's best set for this metagame.

Simply put trying to diminish the effectiveness of Mew real niche over availability is pointless in this discussion, stop pretending it is.

Show me where I suggested or promoted offensive Mew please.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Show me where I suggested or promoted offensive Mew please.

On the attempts at shutting down the mentions of Defog Mew without mentioning Stallbreaker. You are implying that variant doesn't exist and hinting the usage of a terrible set or a good one to shut down stall and certain wallbreakers.

Face it, Defog Mew exist, it's a possibility and it's great at it being a bulky psychic, don't try to shut down a legitimate set when people ask for the best choice a Pokemon has.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Dont think Divi was bashin Defog Mew, its just super hard to get, but very viable! Oh man is Defog Mew a pain to get..... but i'd say gettin Zap Cannon on Mew is painfuller most deff! Not that its viable at all! Very cool though, do prefer to run the speedier set to b faster than Jolly Bisharp for the Will-O but if Lum then cry.

Speakin of Bisharp, do you guys go Adamant Lum or Jolly LO?

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Going to interrupt your debate to mention that offensive lure Mew is usable, albeit very, very, very niche due to the lack of raw power.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
On the attempts at shutting down the mentions of Defog Mew without mentioning Stallbreaker. You are implying that variant doesn't exist and hinting the usage of a terrible set or a good one to shut down stall and certain wallbreakers.

Face it, Defog Mew exist, it's a possibility and it's great at it being a bulky psychic, don't try to shut down a legitimate set when people ask for the best choice a Pokemon has.

Beautiful strawman you've built here. I'm afraid I'm going to have to set fire to it.

There's a number of inherent problems here, the first and foremost is that you still can't get it through your thick ****ing skull that he can't GET a Defog Mew. Maybe it IS his best set, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that he can't get it seeing as he explicitly mentioned 6th gen Wonder Cards. You cannot get a 6th gen Mew with Defog. Period. End of debate.

But let's go a little farther than that. You said that by bashing Defog Mew (which I never did, I just pointed out he can't get it) without promoting Stallbreaker Mew I was promoting offensive Mew. That is literally the single stupidest thing I've heard on these boards and I've been here for what, 7 years? That's like saying "Well, you're not American, and you're not British, so you must be Japanese!". Mew is arguably the most versatile Pokemon in the metagame (Smeargle has a larger movepool but its stats restrict it to certain support roles) and it has a gargantuan number of sets it can run. Some of them are viable. Some of them are garbage. But Defog and Stallbreaker are NOT the only two sets in the game.

I also said this...

Support sets that don't rely on Defog are still an option, like Baton Pass and SR.

... without ever mentioning offensive Mew, so the fact that you somehow think I'm promoting offensive Mew is a complete mystery to me.

Stop being an idiot. I know you're smarter than this.

Speakin of Bisharp, do you guys go Adamant Lum or Jolly LO?

Jolly Lum Jolly LO or Blackglasses haha. That Speed tier is just too important to give up IMO.

I've also tried Assault Vest Bisharp which is a decent niche option, but I don't really see any reason to ever use it when Tyranitar can do the same thing but better. I guess if you really need a reliable Pursuit trapper, but you also need priority and/or a way to hit Fairies?

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Oh boy, you really hate when people remark on how pointless your point was. He asked for best sets.

I listed the best 2 options and gave a warning that offensive Mew is garbage, as said by others is extremely niche.

You really dislike being challenged don't you? But I won't get personal.

Defog Mew is the one set that fits in most teams, and thus the most coveted one for teams that would like to use a bulky psychic pivot with Defog. It's availability doesn't matter at all, what matters is the role it fulfills.

The other variants are BP Mew and Stallbreaker, they are a bit more niche but still hold the uniqueness of Mew without making it outclassed dead weight in singles.

There, you have it. You really dislike when people challenge you and I really doubt you have a thick skin to survive in the net if you get upset at people pointing up your argument at availability was useless, trying to shun people away from one set based on it being hard to get is indeed a way of selling the other two sets for console players, call it a straw man but it's a mere fact about comparing options and you listed a big deterrent to one of the proposed sets.

Seriously. Drop it, you aren't making anyone a favor here.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Jolly Lum Jolly LO or Blackglasses haha. That Speed tier is just too important to give up IMO.

I've also tried Assault Vest Bisharp which is a decent niche option, but I don't really see any reason to ever use it when Tyranitar can do the same thing but better. I guess if you really need a reliable Pursuit trapper, but you also need priority and/or a way to hit Fairies?

Not gonna knock AV Bisharp as I dont use it much!

I think the Sucker/Pursuit mindgames are deffo one of the things that gives the AV one a bit of merit over T-Tar alongside the sp.def boost. I can see AV Sharp kinda working more on hazard-reliant teams that want to punish Defoggers more. I just like the immense pressure SD sets give in general, though. I think I like Adamant more to be honest also. Just for the sake of OHKO'n Clef and +1 Sucker KO on Scarf Lando, I think, but Jolly is understandable for the sake of all those mons that run enough to outpace Adamant sharp.

Why is Bisharp the best Pokemon in OU??

Also, is it me or do a lot more Specs Keld run Focus Blast? Anyone shed some light on this? Is its prime merit OHKO'n other Keld and certain Ferrothorn and stuff? I just kinda shudder when I see Focus Blast on Keldeo since its a really risky move and Secret Sword is usually still on the same set.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Oh boy, you really hate when people remark on how pointless your point was. He asked for best sets.

I listed the best 2 options and gave a warning that offensive Mew is garbage, as said by others is extremely niche.

You really dislike being challenged don't you? But I won't get personal.

Defog Mew is the one set that fits in most teams, and thus the most coveted one for teams that would like to use a bulky psychic pivot with Defog. It's availability doesn't matter at all, what matters is the role it fulfills.

The other variants are BP Mew and Stallbreaker, they are a bit more niche but still hold the uniqueness of Mew without making it outclassed dead weight in singles.

There, you have it. You really dislike when people challenge you and I really doubt you have a thick skin to survive in the net if you get upset at people pointing up your argument at availability was useless, trying to shun people away from one set based on it being hard to get is indeed a way of selling the other two sets for console players, call it a straw man but it's a mere fact about comparing options and you listed a big deterrent to one of the proposed sets.

Seriously. Drop it, you aren't making anyone a favor here.
Stallbreaker is currently the first set listed on Smogon's Dex, but it might be outdated.

Not gonna knock AV Bisharp as I dont use it much!

I think the Sucker/Pursuit mindgames are deffo one of the things that gives the AV one a bit of merit over T-Tar alongside the sp.def boost. I can see AV Sharp kinda working more on hazard-reliant teams that want to punish Defoggers more. I just like the immense pressure SD sets give in general, though. I think I like Adamant more to be honest also. Just for the sake of OHKO'n Clef and +1 Sucker KO on Scarf Lando, I think, but Jolly is understandable for the sake of all those mons that run enough to outpace Adamant sharp.

Why is Bisharp the best Pokemon in OU??

Also, is it me or do a lot more Specs Keld run Focus Blast? Anyone shed some light on this? Is its prime merit OHKO'n other Keld and certain Ferrothorn and stuff? I just kinda shudder when I see Focus Blast on Keldeo since its a really risky move and Secret Sword is usually still on the same set.
Pretty sure Focus Blast is for Volcanion, who can eat up Secret Sword with its physical bulk.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
Sup fellas, just gonna ask a quick question here

I got a Contrary Serperior awhile back from that one event, and boy has it been a big help on my team. I, however, was wondering on how I could fully utilize my superior Serperior (It has max Ev's in spatk and speed, and knows leaf storm, substitute, giga drain and solarbeam). I haven't decided on a held item yet, so that's a big one.

I appreciate any help, thanks

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Maybe you're not smarter than this.

Okay, let me spell this out in nice simple words that you might understand.

"I never promoted offensive Mew."

Okay, did you get that? There were a couple words in there with more than two syllables, so try to keep up. I'll say it again.

"I never promoted offensive Mew."

I think you got it that time.

Since you accused me of promoting offensive Mew (and then when I asked you to show me where I did such a thing you came back with some ******** about how not promoting your preferred set is somehow promoting the offensive set, a classic example of this) when I in fact did not ever promote offensive Mew, you misrepresented my argument and therefore commited to a strawman by definition.

Throw all the meaningless garble about thick skin and challenging opinions at me that you want, at the end of the day the fact is what you did was fallacious and dishonest.

And no, I will not drop it simply because you demand that I drop it. Try a spot of honesty next time, it might help you avoid things like this in the future.

I got a Contrary Serperior awhile back from that one event, and boy has it been a big help on my team. I, however, was wondering on how I could fully utilize my superior Serperior (It has max Ev's in spatk and speed, and knows leaf storm, substitute, giga drain and solarbeam). I haven't decided on a held item yet, so that's a big one.

Solarbeam is pretty pointless, even in the Sun you'll still just want to be spamming Leaf Storms for the Sp. Atk boosts. I'd rebreed one to get Hidden Power Fire, it's pretty much invaluable on Serperior.

If you plan on using it a lot in the Maison the standard LO Attacker set is pretty much the way to go IMO.

serperior.gif

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid - Contrary
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
31/30/31/30/31/30
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Dragon Pulse
-Giga Drain / Substitute

If you'd rather use it in wifi battles and whatnot the SubSeed set has the niche of annoying some of his usual checks like Heatran, but its effectiveness against things like Talonflame is limited, and it flat out can't touch Mega Venusuar.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I'm now telling you that both of you two need to drop it. Immediately. The question has been answered, stop bickering with one another.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves

What format is this for? We need to know so we can help you properly.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
What format is this for? We need to know so we can help you properly.

Sorry, I didn't specify that I wanted OU. And thanks to Divine Retribution, I will surely incorporate some of the tactics explained. However I've found that substitute works well in doubles for survivability, combined with a beefed giga drain I've been able to withstand some of the more offensive mons in OU. I will take the advice for dealing with fire types like Heatran (actually I had a bout with one recently, it did not end well).

Perhaps I'll breed a couple and set each one up for whatever strategy I fancy at the time. Thanks again.