• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Im think of making a bold eviolite tangela with the moves giga drain, hp fire and leech seed and I need help deciding what the 4th move should be.

Sleep Powder, Synthesis, Toxic, or Stun Spore. In general Tangela is going to be a very underwhelming Pokemon compared to Amoonguss or Mega Venusaur, however, who can run the exact same sets but are actually viable in OU.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Or you can run Tangrowth, which is stronger than Tangela and can go mixed.

Thanks.
Also im thinking of running a gimmicky defensive eviolite shellos with the moves toxic, stockpile and recover, and I was thinking between scald or infestation. I figure that I wont be doing much damage anyway, so infestation can help up rack damage.

KillerDraco

Thanks.
Also im thinking of running a gimmicky defensive eviolite shellos with the moves toxic, stockpile and recover, and I was thinking between scald or infestation. I figure that I wont be doing much damage anyway, so infestation can help up rack damage.

That would not work out well given it'd be very susceptible to Taunt and Toxic and any number of other things (although the aforementioned are the most damning). If you want a defensive water type there's just so many better options. Suicune. Manaphy. Slowbro. Shellos is just... bad. I mean, although Sticky Hold can prevent Knock Off, it's not even that bulky with Eviolite, so you wouldn't accomplish much of anything.

Unless we're talking about Little Cup. That's a different story.

Last edited:

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Thanks.

Is there a certain tier or format you plan on battling in? Shellos, in my opinion, is a very and idea in pretty much any situation. If you really want Eviolite on something, I'd say Chansey. Even then it's still quite susceptible to Knock Off and being that Chansey can only do little damage with Seismic Toss, you'll want something else to even back it up. Knowing how you plan on playing would be very helpful though. I don't recommend ever putting all defensive moves on a Pokémon though no matter. My personal favorite defensive water type is Suicune. It's brought me many wins. If you're looking for defensive grass types, I like Amoongus, mega Venasaur works very well, but I just prefer Amoongus. Again format and/or tier would be helpful to know.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 226-266 (53 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Shellos: 177-211 (49.7 - 59.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Eviolite Shellos is only a tiny bit bulkier than Gastrodon (which actually takes hits better thanks to Leftovers), who sports better all around stats and more utility, being able to actually somewhat threaten things with a reasonably powered Scald and Earth Power. Furthermore, Shellos can't make use of Storm Drain in the same way that Gastrodon can, meaning it can't check things like Volcanion nearly as well. Lastly, as people have already said, Slowbro and Suicune can pull off the same sets but better.

Actually, im thinking of using it on battle spot (free battle)
Im aware that I can use better pokemon, but hey, I got a chikorita working on battle spot, then maybe I can get this to work too. Honestly,im doing it for the lols, but I really want to win using a shellos

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Actually, im thinking of using it on battle spot (free battle)
Im aware that I can use better pokemon, but hey, I got a chikorita working on battle spot, then maybe I can get this to work too. Honestly,im doing it for the lols, but I really want to win using a shellos

Honestly, if you're just using it because you can and for no serious purposes, than its fine. I just wouldn't take it too seriously or a loss as surprising. Otherwise, go for it. To Shellos move pool, if a move doesn't work out, just change it to the other one... see what works better.

Poke Trainer J

After receiving my Arceus code at GameStop last week I've been struggling to find the best Nature for it and was wondering If anyone knows of a good one to soft-reset for. So far I've narrowed it down to ExtremeSpeed Adamant/Jolly with Payback as a way to deal with Giratina in Ubers or perhaps Modest with either the Ice or Bug Plate to deal with various Dragon Types and Mew of course.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
After receiving my Arceus code at GameStop last week I've been struggling to find the best Nature for it and was wondering If anyone knows of a good one to soft-reset for. So far I've narrowed it down to ExtremeSpeed Adamant/Jolly with Payback as a way to deal with Giratina in Ubers or perhaps Modest with either the Ice or Bug Plate to deal with various Dragon Types and Mew of course.

No need for Payback, use Shadow Claw instead. Arceus is much too fast for Payback to be workin regularly enough. It depends on the kind of Arceus you want really, but if you're goin for the usual E-Killer Arceus-Normal then Jolly/Adamant are the natures you want. It's super popular in Ubers for a reason!

Last edited:

Poke Trainer J

No need for Payback, use Shadow Claw instead. Arceus is much too fast for Payback to be workin regularly enough. It depends on the kind of Arceus you want really, but if you're goin for the usual E-Killer Arceus-Normal then Jolly/Adamant are the natures you want. It's super popular in Ubers for a reason!

Except Shadow Claw from Arceus-Normal even with Swords Dance can't 2HKO Giratina without a Life Orb boost (or Spell Tag / Expert Belt) while Giratina can Will-O-Wisp Arceus-Normal in the meantime. The 75% accuracy from Shadow Claw is unreliable when Arceus-Normal would be stupid to bet it's life on a double tails which is why I chose Payback due to having better accuracy.

KillerDraco

The 75% accuracy from Shadow Claw is unreliable when Arceus-Normal would be stupid to bet it's life on a double tails which is why I chose Payback due to having better accuracy.

???

Shadow Claw has 100% accuracy. I'm not sure where you're getting 75% accuracy from.

Also in reference to your earlier posts, if you're looking for Anti-Dragon measures, Fairy Arceus is preferable to Ice Arceus. Bug Arceus isn't all that great either, so if you're looking for Anti-Mew, Dark is preferable to Bug. Ice is pretty niche while Bug is considered one of the lower-end Arceus types.

In general Adamant/Jolly are the way to go for physical, and Timid is the way to go for special (most special sets utilize Calm Mind). Defensive sets typically opt for a Bold nature.

Smokin' weedle

Now everyone is talking about arceus, if i use him in a double battle next a pokemon with, say my meowstic, both holding a plate, lets say zap on arceus and mind on meowstic, and i trick arceus, will arceus become an psychic type when i trick them?

KillerDraco

Now everyone is talking about arceus, if i use him in a double battle next a pokemon with, say my meowstic, both holding a plate, lets say zap on arceus and mind on meowstic, and i trick arceus, will arceus become an psychic type when i trick them?

Arceus is immune to Trick, Knock Off's item removal, etc. when holding a plate.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Except Shadow Claw from Arceus-Normal even with Swords Dance can't 2HKO Giratina without a Life Orb boost (or Spell Tag / Expert Belt) while Giratina can Will-O-Wisp Arceus-Normal in the meantime. The 75% accuracy from Shadow Claw is unreliable when Arceus-Normal would be stupid to bet it's life on a double tails which is why I chose Payback due to having better accuracy.

Double tails...?

Also Payback can't even come close to 2HKOing Giratina, especially considering Arceus outspeeds Giratina, so it will never really get the 2x damage.

252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Payback (50 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 88-104 (17.4 - 20.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

So yeah, even if you somehow got the double damage (unlikely since min speed Arceus is still 4 points faster than standard Giratina), you still don't come close to 2HKOing (after leftovers you aren't even guaranteed a 3HKO). Giratina is generally one of the few things that can actually stop Extreme Killer. This is the reason why many people run Shadow Force over Shadow Claw on Arceus, despite being a 2 turn move, which is inherently unreliable in a competitive setting. At +2 LO Arceus has a 56.3% chance to OHKO standard Giratina after Stealth Rock, and Lum Berry variants easily 2HKO while not caring about taking a Will-O-Wisp.

KingBones

Hey guys I know this is off topic but the other boards seem really slow and I just wanted some advice really quick. I have a 5IV Murkrow with its HA lvl 1 and I want to train for competitiveness but I'm not sure how to fully go about it, if you guys coffee give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it. Lately I've been getting into competitive battles (although I normally get creamed) and I'm really looking to step my game up. Also the only IV it doesn't have is HP. Also I have a dusk stone to evolve it but not sure when would be a good time to do it. And it's nature is adamant and the move set it was born with is confuse ray, perish song, whirlwind and brave bird.

Smokin' weedle

Well, I'm no expert in moves, but you should run no special moves with an adamant nature, and brave bird is good with a hp stat as honchkrows. You might want to evolve it at lvl 50+, so that you can use it in battle without it growing to slow

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hey guys I know this is off topic but the other boards seem really slow and I just wanted some advice really quick. I have a 5IV Murkrow with its HA lvl 1 and I want to train for competitiveness but I'm not sure how to fully go about it, if you guys coffee give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it. Lately I've been getting into competitive battles (although I normally get creamed) and I'm really looking to step my game up. Also the only IV it doesn't have is HP. Also I have a dusk stone to evolve it but not sure when would be a good time to do it. And it's nature is adamant and the move set it was born with is confuse ray, perish song, whirlwind and brave bird.

honchkrow.gif

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Adamant - Moxie
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
-Sucker Punch
-Brave Bird
-Superpower
-Roost / Taunt

Pretty much standard Honchkrow set. Honchkrow's main selling point is Moxie and a very strong STAB Sucker Punch letting it pose a very serious threat to offensive teams, and allowing it to clean up weakened teams by simply snowballing Attack boosts from Moxie. Brave Bird is a stronger, more reliable STAB but lacks priority. Superpower covers Steels, Rocks, and bulky Darks that might resist his STABs, and the last slot is either Roost for recovering off Brave Bird / Life Orb recoil or Taunt for breaking stall easier.​

Zeed

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but can someone help me with deciding a nature for my Arceus? I have managed to get two of them, one for X and one for Alpha Sapphire, from GameStop and I would like to give each a good nature. I want to know which two natures gives me the most options. In case I would ever want to change their their moveset and EVs to something else in the future. I also want each nature to allow for entirely different roles. Like one is special attacker while the other is a physical, or one is primarily offensive while the other is defensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but can someone help me with deciding a nature for my Arceus? I have managed to get two of them, one for X and one for Alpha Sapphire, from GameStop and I would like to give each a good nature. I want to know which two natures gives me the most options. In case I would ever want to change their their moveset and EVs to something else in the future. I also want each nature to allow for entirely different roles. Like one is special attacker while the other is a physical, or one is primarily offensive while the other is defensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jolly is generally the standard nature for most offensive physical forms (ExtremeKiller, SD Arceus-Ground, etc.), Timid is usually used for special attacking and fast support sets, like Calm Mind, Defog, etc., and Bold is used for some slower support sets, like certain Arceus-Ghost and Arceus-Water sets.

I think a Timid and a Jolly would give you the most options.