• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

KillerDraco

People, it's possible have a Scizor w/ Defog in this 6th gen?

If you mean as a Gen 6 native, then yes. Defog is an egg move for Scizor. Mind you, you'd need a parent from the 4th Generation with Defog on them from the HM to be able to pass it as an egg move, since all of the Pokemon Scyther/Scizor can inherit it from only learn it from the DPPT HM.

Though to be fair, in the competitions where the Gen 6 native restriction is enforced (i.e., official Nintendo formats), Defog isn't quite as useful, but that's neither here nor there.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
What's the point of running HP Ghost on Keldeo?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Before the hidden power nerf in the sixth gen, it was used as a blanket answer to Jellicent, Starmie, the Latis, and Celebi.

So it's basically useless now given they either run Sub + Calm Mind or scarf with Icy Wind.

I played last gen but never saw HP Ghost haha. Thanks

Nidozard

I was wondering if ALL stat boosts can be transferred with Baton Pass. Specifically, boosts granted by berries, the abilities Anger Point and Unburden, and Belly Drum.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I was wondering if ALL stat boosts can be transferred with Baton Pass. Specifically, boosts granted by berries, the abilities Anger Point and Unburden, and Belly Drum.

The Unburden boost won't pass, but everything else will, including boost from berries.

KillerDraco

Yeah, a lot of the time Electric or Bug was used over Ghost. Or Hidden Power just wasn't used at all.

Actually Bug is barely used nowadays either, especially as you get higher up the ladder. Electric is pretty much the only Hidden Power that sees anything resembling consistent use, and usually only on Scarf sets since it allows Keldeo to revenge +1 Gyarados.

The Unburden boost won't pass, but everything else will, including boost from berries.

It's also worth noting that stat decreases will pass as well. Basically any change to a Pokemon's stats that results in flavor text ("X's stat rose", "Y's stat fell", etc.) can be passed.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Is there anyone that can explain to this competitive newbie how to get a particular set on Shiftry?

Obviously Leaf Storm and Knock Off are easy to get, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get Sucker Punch and Defog on its moveset together..

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Is there anyone that can explain to this competitive newbie how to get a particular set on Shiftry?

Obviously Leaf Storm and Knock Off are easy to get, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get Sucker Punch and Defog on its moveset together..

Defog is an egg move and Sucker Punch is a 4th gen move tutor move which cannot be breed over. So only Shiftry from those games can legally have that combo.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Unfortunately this also means Leaf Blade + Sucker Punch and Defog Shiftry is not possible since only Shiftry gets Defog and Sucker Punch while Leaf Blade must be learned by an ORAS Nuzleaf (Shiftry can't get it). Showdown has yet to fix that error though.

ShinyCharyZard

Unfortunately this also means Leaf Blade + Sucker Punch and Defog Shiftry is not possible since only Shiftry gets Defog and Sucker Punch while Leaf Blade must be learned by an ORAS Nuzleaf (Shiftry can't get it). Showdown has yet to fix that error though.

Well that's irritating, I didn't know if there was a way to pass it up through both gens after breeding but now that I'm more awake, I realise that Defog is 5th gen egg and Sucker Punch is 4th gen tutor so that'd be impossible (why can't they be the other way round :( )..

I guess I'll just have to pick one or the other and substitute the remaining move with something else.. Thanks anyway.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well that's irritating, I didn't know if there was a way to pass it up through both gens after breeding but now that I'm more awake, I realise that Defog is 5th gen egg and Sucker Punch is 4th gen tutor so that'd be impossible (why can't they be the other way round :( )..

I guess I'll just have to pick one or the other and substitute the remaining move with something else.. Thanks anyway.

Oh right my mistake, Defog is an egg move so Defog + Leaf Blade alone is still possible. But yeah, given how vital Sucker Punch is it's still a very unfortunate move incompatibility, and probably one of the most frustrating ones out there especially in a metagame with fewer move combination restrictions.

ShinyCharyZard

So after breeding my perfect Seedot with Defog, extensively super training it and being disappointed due to the lack of Sucker Punch, I then realised it was possible to have both Defog and Sucker Punch on the same Pokemon after all.

What the online guides forget to mention is that although Defog is an egg move in BW and you can't go back to HGSS to get Sucker Punch, Shiftry actually learns Defog in DPt via HM. So then you can trade that Defogger over to HGSS for Sucker Punch via tutor, where of course Defog loses its HM status, meaning that it can be transported up to BW and then banked into ORAS..

I love it when online information misses out half the true details and says something is impossible when it isn't. Well, here I go again..

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
What's a better final move for scarf Jirachi, Fire Punch or Healing Wish?

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
What's a better final move for scarf Jirachi, Fire Punch or Healing Wish?

Depends on the team. If you need another way to handle Scizor and Ferrothorn, take HP Fire. If you're running sweepers or tanks with limited recovery and/or who are useless during burns, take Healing Wish.

Creyk

Togetic with Serene Grace has a 60% chance of flinching the opponent, if I recall well. (it's originally 30% and serence grace doubles that). How much is the chance if I also give it a razor fang, the item that boosts the chance of moves inflicting flinch?

Joseyfish

I hope I'm asking in the right thread....

Is there an index to the Collaborative POTW forum? I would love to browse by pokemon instead of by week.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Togetic with Serene Grace has a 60% chance of flinching the opponent, if I recall well. (it's originally 30% and serence grace doubles that). How much is the chance if I also give it a razor fang, the item that boosts the chance of moves inflicting flinch?

Items like Razor Fang and Kings Rock only effect moves that don't already have a flinch effect so you'd still have a 60% chance.
Unless ORAS for some reason changed it.