• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Ask a question about competitive Pokemon here; be it what Pokemon would fit well on the last slot of my team, what is the best way to counter Lucario, what is the most effective EV spread for my Wacan Berry Gyarados, etc. If you have an actual set for a Pokemon that you want feedback on, use the Comptitive Singles Rate Thread. Don't flame/insult someone if you think it is a silly question. Have fun and ask away!

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Does Goodra get any recovery moves other than Rest?

Based on the current version of the Pokedex, it gets Absorb at Level 5, but otherwise, no.

_ _ _

Is there some place I could see some sort of preliminary tier listing for all the tiers? I know nothing is even close to complete yet since we don't even have a fully complete/accurate Pokedex yet, but I'd just like to get a feel for where everything is falling.

McDanger

Based on the current version of the Pokedex, it gets Absorb at Level 5, but otherwise, no.

_ _ _

Is there some place I could see some sort of preliminary tier listing for all the tiers? I know nothing is even close to complete yet since we don't even have a fully complete/accurate Pokedex yet, but I'd just like to get a feel for where everything is falling.
smogon put out a ban list for OU, thats all we have so far as far as tiering

Vis_Mage

PokeGyms Creator
smogon put out a ban list for OU, thats all we have so far as far as tiering

Could you possibly post a link to that? I'm interested in taking a look at that, but I can't seem to find it. :/

Edit: Never mind, I just found it :)

2nickpick

Could you possibly post a link to that? I'm interested in taking a look at that, but I can't seem to find it. :/

Edit: Never mind, I just found it :)

Could you put the link? lol I can't find it.

McDanger

guys dont post teams here, pm a friend if you want advice until the rmt section changes, this is the only warning

Zachmac

Can the ability capsule give a pokemon it's hidden ability? Or only it's usual abilities?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Can the ability capsule give a pokemon it's hidden ability? Or only it's usual abilities?

You cannot change it to a hidden ability, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, Snow Warning Aurorus and Rock Head Tyrantrum would be readily available right now.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm looking to make a team of Eeveelutions. Should I bother getting 6 perfect IV's or no?

Physical attackers can completely ignore the Special Attack IV, and Special Attackers can ignore the physical Attack IV (unless they're looking for a certain type of Hidden Power). Other than that, frail, fast Pokemon don't overly mind having low IVs in HP/Defense/Sp. Def, and some tanks don't mind having low Speed (some even want low Speed to power up moves like Gyro Ball).

What is the IV spread for Hidden Power (Fairy)?

nubcake

I understand this might be an annoyance, but I'd really appreciate it if someone would lend a hand (or an arm).

I can't help myself. I've got so many pokemon I want on my team, but I'm not sure what to do.

>Charizard
>Venusaur
>Gengar
>Tyranitar
>Pikachu
>Snorlax
>Jolteon
>Aggron
>Arcanine
>Aegislash
>Blaziken
>Carracosta
>Rhydon
>Dragonite
>Umbreon
>Clawitzer
>Yveltal
>Mewtwo

I'm not too into the competitive scene, but if I get random challenges while roaming the map, I'd at least like to put up a decent enough fight. I'd also like a team that is fun to use not just in competitive, but the actual game too. I know most people wouldn't want to do this, and I understand if nobody does, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could lend a hand.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I understand this might be an annoyance, but I'd really appreciate it if someone would lend a hand (or an arm).

Alright, so let's narrow this down a bit. Remember these are only my opinions and speculations, take everything with a grain of salt.

>Charizard <--- Charizard's mega forms are amazing. Charizard-X loses his double Stealth Rock weakness, gets a kickass STAB combo, and gets a reason to use his Dragon Dance sets. Charizard-Y gets Drought and stupid Special Attack, and a bit of Special Defense to boot. Regular Charizard just plain sucks.
>Venusaur <--- Honestly, Mega Venusaur is... Meh. He's a different kind of Pokemon than regular Venusaur, being a tank rather than a Chlorophyll sweeper. The problem is his typing is crappy for a tank. Regular Venusaur might pair well with Charizard-Y.
>Tyranitar <--- Mega Tyranitar looks so good on paper, but I have yet to see him used effectively and I have yet to use him myself. Also, a lot of the Pokemon you've picked out don't appreciate Sandstorm damage. I'd just ignore this one.
>Gengar <---Mega Gengar is just broken. A Sub+3 attacks set is amazing, and you've got your choice of Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt and Giga Drain to pick from. Regular SubDisable Gengar is just as good as always, accomplishing what Mega Gengar can't always do by basically hard countering Mega Kangaskan.
>Pikachu <--- You're joking, right?
>Snorlax <--- Snorlax is a meh Pokemon all around in my opinion. He serves as a decent Special wall but with very little reliability and very little offensive presence outside of some mono-attacking Curse/ResTalk set (which Gengar eats for breakfast).
>Jolteon <--- Jolteon is a great scout and a decent offensive pivot, but my biggest issue with him is that Thundurus-T exists. While he's not availible yet, when he is he just flat out outclasses Jolteon in my opinion. Only advantages Jolteon has are that it doesn't have to run a Scarf and it's not as weak to Stealth Rock.
>Aggron <--- Aggron just has too many flaws in both of its formes to be an effective Pokemon. Mega Aggron becomes practically indestructible on the physical side (avoiding a 2HKO from Terrakion's Close Combat IIRC) but he's got absolutely no recovery outside of Rest and his offensive presence is meh since he loses STAB recoiless Head Smash. Regular Aggron is a great Rock Polish sweeper but he's got too many weaknesses (including double weaknesses to Earthquake, Close Combat, Mach Punch, etc.) and not enough raw Attack to be effective.
>Arcanine <---Infernape.
>Aegislash <--- Aegislash is an overrated Pokemon in my opinion. That doesn't mean he isn't good, that just means I don't think he's an Uber level threat. I hear mixed sets are nice, something like Shadow Sneak, Sword's Dance, Sacred Sword, and Shadow Ball or Hidden Power (Ice).
>Blaziken <--- Blaziken is a godly Pokemon to the point where it was banned to Ubers last generation (and actually got decent usage in Ubers), Mega Blaziken is just Blaziken on crack.
>Carracosta <--- Wut?
>Rhydon <--- See Carracosta.
>Dragonite <--- To be honest, I don't even think Dragonite is worth your time anymore. A gimmicky Weakness Policy set might be fun but not all that practical. He's still a decent parashuffler but parashuffling was hit pretty hard this generation.
>Umbreon <--- Sylveon > Umbreon in basically every way.
>Clawitzer <--- Never used it, never seen it used effectively, no comment.
>Yveltal <--- Overrated and just not on par with the rest of Ubers.
>Mewtwo <--- Mewtwo is just one of those Pokemon with such absurd stats that it's hard NOT to use him effectively. I'd recommend a Mewtwo-Y Calm Mind sweeper. get a single Calm Mind down and you can ravage entire teams with him.

Comments are in blue.

Last edited:

nubcake

So do you think:

Charizard
Venusaur
Gengar
Blaziken
Mewtwo
Aegislash

would be decent enough for me to not lose 10/10 times? I'm still a bit iffy on it, but part of me still says it sounds fun.

ElvenMercenary

So, I'm trying to breed a Male Meowstic with Trick

So far I don't know of any other Pokemon of the Field egg group that learn it in this generation that didn't get it from move tutor last generation.

What do I breed to get Trick on Espurr?

Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong forum but this is for a competitive team and I didn't see a 6th gen breeding forum.

MedievalMovies

Absolute Power
Which Mega seems to be the most effective right now? I'm thinking Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar but I'm not too sure.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Which Mega seems to be the most effective right now? I'm thinking Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar but I'm not too sure.

It's all relative, since most Megas fulfill a different role it's hard to effectively compare them to each other. Gengar is a great trapper and offensive pivot, Kangaskhan works well as a counter to a lot of different threats and a late game clean-up sweeper. Charizard's Megas tend to be extremely dangerous, in part due to its unpredictability since you can't tell which form it's using until it actually Mega Evolves.

dragon1

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to Competitive stuff, and I need a lead for this team I want to try out: Mega Ampharos (ftl), Aegislash, Togekiss, Starmie and Volcarona. I'll probably also need help with items and I'm not yet willing to change any of the pokemon I've got without a Very good reason, (I'd rather do that without help once I have more experience in battles).

EDIT: Volcarona can be changed, maybe for a Wish passer (Vaporeon) or something...

Last edited:

NINJA PENGUIN

Just wondering on the competitive Ratings battle system on the battle spot, is it possible to do 6 V 6 Teams?