• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Regiultima

Rises with Magnetism
I'm planning on this Malamar set and was wondering which nature I should use; Adamant or Jolly?
Malamar @Leftovers
Adamant/Jolly nature
Contrary ability
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Topsy-Turvy

I'm planning on this Malamar set and was wondering which nature I should use; Adamant or Jolly?
Malamar @Leftovers
Adamant/Jolly nature
Contrary ability
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Topsy-Turvy

Adamant. Malamar is slow as balls, slow to the point where a boosting nature won't do shite. It appreciates the extra power behind its attacks. Don't even bother maximizing Speed; there isn't much it will be outspeeding anyway.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Team info

While this technically isn't the wrong place to ask for opinions on a competitive team, it would be better if you made a thread for your team in the 6th Gen RMT section made for this purpose. Also, before making the thread, make sure to go over the Rules and Guidelines, since you'll probably need to provide more explanation of each member for it to meet the thread expectations.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were expecting, but I hope this helps you out. It will definitely help any team raters provide advice and suggestions, at least.

celebiLNS

While this technically isn't the wrong place to ask for opinions on a competitive team, it would be better if you made a thread for your team in the section made for this purpose. Also, before making the thread, make sure to go over the , since you'll probably need to provide more explanation of each member for it to meet the thread expectations.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were expecting, but I hope this helps you out. It will definitely help any team raters provide advice and suggestions, at least.
Hi, thanks for the help, I was going to make my own thread for this in the 6th Gen RMT section, but when I saw the rules in the Rules and Guidelines I decided better not to because of my team not being complete techincally, or is it okay to ask for help in the last slot?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
In the context of standard OU, is Assault Vest Clawitzer a thing anyone uses? From everything I've read, people are trying (unsuccessfully) to make him be some kind of a sweeper in spite of his speed. Seems to me with 70/90/90 defenses and the stupid amount of power as he has, it would work way better as a special tank. Dropping 10 BP and switching 20% confusion for 30% burn, you could also run Scald on him over Water Pulse to shore up his physical defense too. He's only really missing HP recovery, but I think otherwise it could work. Is this a thing anyone has tried though?

dewey911p

primus inter pares
In the context of standard OU, is Assault Vest Clawitzer a thing anyone uses? From everything I've read, people are trying (unsuccessfully) to make him be some kind of a sweeper in spite of his speed. Seems to me with 70/90/90 defenses and the stupid amount of power as he has, it would work way better as a special tank. Dropping 10 BP and switching 20% confusion for 30% burn, you could also run Scald on him over Water Pulse to shore up his physical defense too. He's only really missing HP recovery, but I think otherwise it could work. Is this a thing anyone has tried though?

Smogon describes Clawitzer as:

"<li>It is fairly frail, and due to its low Speed, has difficulty performing as a usable glass cannon.</li>"

and since Smogon pretty much dictates the metagame, I'm going to say that no, no one has tried this and they probably won't.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
What are the best movesets & abilities for
- Mega Herracross ADAMANT or JOLLY?
- Mega Pinsir ADAMANT
- Mega Mawile ADAMANT
- Mega Kangaskhan ADAMANT or JOLLY?
- Mega Lucario ADAMANT
if I want them to act as physical attackers? Any good eggmoves I should teach them before I start raising them?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
- Mega Pinsir ADAMANT
- Mega Mawile ADAMANT
- Mega Lucario ADAMANT
if I want them to act as physical attackers? Any good eggmoves I should teach them before I start raising them?

Thank you.

Couple of things real quick. Firstly only one Mega Evolution is allowed per team. This isn't a competitive rule, this is hardcoded into the game.

Secondly natures depend on what you're using them for. Mega Pinsir being used as a wallbreaker wants Adamant whereas Mega Pinsir that want to attempt to sweep want Jolly. Heracross generally wants Adamant, along with Mega Mawile. Lucario actually wants Jolly because he's in a decent speed tier, and Kangaskhan really wants Jolly to outpace stuff like Jirachi and Genesect.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Couple of things real quick. Firstly only one Mega Evolution is allowed per team. This isn't a competitive rule, this is hardcoded into the game.

Secondly natures depend on what you're using them for. Mega Pinsir being used as a wallbreaker wants Adamant whereas Mega Pinsir that want to attempt to sweep want Jolly. Heracross generally wants Adamant, along with Mega Mawile. Lucario actually wants Jolly because he's in a decent speed tier, and Kangaskhan really wants Jolly to outpace stuff like Jirachi and Genesect.

Yes, I'm aware of that rule.

Ah. Ok then, do you have any recommendation on the movesets if they have the natures that you mentioned?

Nulava

Banned
- Mega Pinsir ADAMANT
- Mega Mawile ADAMANT
- Mega Lucario ADAMANT
if I want them to act as physical attackers?

Thank you.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Ability: Moxie / Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Pin Missile
~Close Combat / Arm Thrust
~Rock Blast
~Earthquake / Bullet Seed

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ability: Moxie
~Swords Dance
~Double Edge / Return
~Close Combat
~Quick Attack / Earthquake / Stone Edge

Mawile @ Mawilite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
~Play Rough
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~ Iron Head/ Ice Punch/ Stone Edge/ ThunderPunch

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Scrappy
~Return / Body Slam*
~Sucker Punch
~Earthquake / Fire Punch* / Drain Punch*
~Power-Up Punch / Substitute

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
~Close Combat
~Bullet Punch
~Ice Punch / Crunch / ExtremeSpeed
~Swords Dance

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie / Swarm
~Pin Missile
~Close Combat / Arm Thrust
~Rock Blast
~Earthquake / Bullet Seed

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ability: Moxie
~Swords Dance
~Double Edge / Return
~Close Combat
~Quick Attack / Earthquake / Stone Edge

Mawile @ Mawilite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
~Play Rough
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~ Iron Head/ Ice Punch/ Stone Edge/ ThunderPunch

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Scrappy
~Return / Body Slam*
~Sucker Punch
~Earthquake / Fire Punch* / Drain Punch*
~Power-Up Punch / Substitute

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
~Close Combat
~Bullet Punch
~Ice Punch / Crunch / ExtremeSpeed
~Swords Dance

Thanks. Which ability would you prefer for Normal Lucario? Im thinking steadfast + jolly for extra speed?

ofan1987

I've never bred pokemon or battled competitively before, but want to give it a shot now...

My question deals with how egg moves work. I want to teach a Ferroseed Leech Seed and Spikes. How would I go about doing this? Can I get a step by step please?

RifleAvenger

See you starside
I've never bred pokemon or battled competitively before, but want to give it a shot now...

My question deals with how egg moves work. I want to teach a Ferroseed Leech Seed and Spikes. How would I go about doing this? Can I get a step by step please?

Quickest way is to raise a male Cacnea/Cacturne until it knows both leech seed and spikes by level up (delay evolving Cacnea and it learns spikes at lvl 33), then breed it with a female Ferroseed/Ferrothorn. Spikes and leech seed will be passed on as egg moves.

Sadly, Cacnea/Cacturne is a somewhat obnoxious pokemon to obtain. In 6th gen Cacturne is a friend safari pokemon, and that is the only way to get it. Once pokebank is released, you can use older methods.

In 5th gen you can catch Cacturne in B/W2 as a swarm on reversal mountain, then transfer using Bank. In 4th gen you can catch Cacturne on route 228 in D/P/Pt or in the safari zone in Hg/Ss. Then poketransfer to 5th gen, then transfer to 6th via bank. In 3rd gen you can catch cacnea in the desert area, transfer to 4th gen, transfer to 5th, transfer to 6th.

You could always trade someone for a Cacnea/Cacturne, or for a male Ferroseed/Ferrothorn with both moves.

There may be other methods, but I do not know them as I simply used a Cacturne.

Last edited:

dewey911p

primus inter pares

When you want to breed egg moves onto a pokemon you must first look at the egg moves that pokemon can inherit. Serebii's pokedex is great for this. http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/egg/598.shtml#leechseed Once you get to the egg moves section of a pokemon, simply click the "details" link on the right hand side of the page and you will be taken to a page that displays which pokemon learn the desired egg move via level up or breeding. The link above takes you to Leech Seed and Spikes is listed a short ways down the page. Find pokemon in the list that have the moves you want and are easy to get. Hoppip learns leech seed at lvl 22 and appears in front of the day care, so that may be a good choice, or Trevenant, who learns leech seed at lvl 23, and can be caught in a horde at lvl 25 already knowing the move. Either of those two would be a good and easy pokemon to use. Catch a male with the move and a female of the species you want to breed, so for you that would be a female Ferroseed or Ferothorn. Next you will need to hatch a few eggs until you get a female Ferroseed. Note that all eggs hatched should have Leech Seed. Once you get the female Ferroseed you will need a male pokemon that knows spikes. Looking at the list of possible parents, Klefki is the easiest to obtain and can even be found in a Horde at lvl 18 already knowing spikes (Klefki is an uncommon pokemon and can be a pain to find, but a magnet pull Magnemite/Nosepass will take care of that). Once you have your Klefki and it knows spikes you breed it with your female Ferroseed that already knows Leech Seed. In gen 6 both male and female parents pass down egg moves. Breed the eggs until you get the desired Nature, Gender, IVs, etc.

Of course, the easiest way is to get a single pokemon with both of the moves you want, as described above. However, if it isn't possible to get all of the egg moves from one parent, this is the way you would go about getting all of the moves you want.

Primeguy

Veteran Trainer
Do you guys think the helping hand togepi from XD is worth getting? Im thinking of making a togekiss set with roost, tailwind, helping hand, and air slash. Might be a great partner for a mega heracross in doubles. If not are there any other bulky mon's that could learn helping hand.

Primeguy

Veteran Trainer
I prefer one with inner focus since I ussually use it as a lead fake out isn't much of a problem.
Which ability would you prefer for Normal Lucario? Im thinking steadfast + jolly for extra speed?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Is there a significant reason to prefer Magic Guard over Synchronize on an Alakazam that is meant to mega evolve as soon as it comes out? As far as I see it, Synchronize allows it to potentially screw over something by switching in on status, whereas Magic Guard keeps it safe for all of one turn if it switches in on a Will-o-Wisp or Toxic and keeps it from losing a small amount of health if entry hazards are up when it switches. Obviously neither one matters for more than one turn while it switches in, so it isn't significant either way, but Synchronize seems like it would actually be a slightly better option.

KillerDraco

Is there a significant reason to prefer Magic Guard over Synchronize on an Alakazam that is meant to mega evolve as soon as it comes out? As far as I see it, Synchronize allows it to potentially screw over something by switching in on status, whereas Magic Guard keeps it safe for all of one turn if it switches in on a Will-o-Wisp or Toxic and keeps it from losing a small amount of health if entry hazards are up when it switches. Obviously neither one matters for more than one turn while it switches in, so it isn't significant either way, but Synchronize seems like it would actually be a slightly better option.

Synchronize is a very poor ability. There are a handful of Pokemon that are immune to the status they use (Burns from Fire types, Poison from Poison types, Paralysis from Electric types), and Synchronize means Alakazam will still be affected by the status anyway. Magic Guard on the other hand prevents damage from indirect sources, and considering how frail Alakazam is, it needs all the survivability it can afford.

...Besides, it's not like Alakazam is very easy to switch in anyway. And Synchronize does not afford him an extra option to switch in. It's unreliable.