• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

KillerDraco

I need somebody with statistical know how for this question. I intend to use an Assault Vest Tyranitar for a team that is somewhat Rotom Wash/ Talonflame weak, and while I know no Talonflame would stay in on it, I was wondering how Tyranitar would fare against a Hydro Pump from Rotom. The one I intend to use is Adamant, with maxed hp and attack, so can anybody give me an idea how many hits it would take to kill Tyranitar?

The bulk of Rotom-W run defensive sets, so they typically don't have much in the way of Special Attack Investment. So, by default, it would look more like this:

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 110-132 (27.2 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

...That said, most Rotom-W also carry Will-o-Wisp, so they'll end up burning your Tyranitar and making it useless. Tyranitar makes a poor answer to Rotom-W. Things like (Mega) Venusaur, Gardevoir, and Charizard (be careful switching Charizard in though, since both Mega Zards tend to be more checks) deal much better with Rotom-W, as does Assault Vest Conkeldurr. To be honest, most of the things that counter/check Rotom-W do not do the same for Talonflame, so finding one Pokemon to deal with both isn't exactly the best idea.

Edit: Also, you can use this for damage calculating.

Last edited:

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
The bulk of Rotom-W run defensive sets, so they typically don't have much in the way of Special Attack Investment. So, by default, it would look more like this:

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 110-132 (27.2 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

...That said, most Rotom-W also carry Will-o-Wisp, so they'll end up burning your Tyranitar and making it useless. Tyranitar makes a poor answer to Rotom-W. Things like (Mega) Venusaur, Gardevoir, and Charizard (be careful switching Charizard in though, since both Mega Zards tend to be more checks) deal much better with Rotom-W, as does Assault Vest Conkeldurr. To be honest, most of the things that counter/check Rotom-W do not do the same for Talonflame, so finding one Pokemon to deal with both isn't exactly the best idea.

Edit: Also, you can use this for damage calculating.

Thanks for the tips :) I may be able to find a way to move around the will o wisp problem though.

I have another question, though I think I already kow the answer...is it possible to get a kb defog SKarmory, or would i have to breed it and bring it from gen 4? I have a Skarmory from gen 4 with Defog that I've been trying to breed with another kb Skarmory but the move won't go over.

Last edited:

Mr._Nuggets

Need help from pro team builders

Hey everyone. I'm new here, so I'm not sure where to post this, please don't kill me. I want to get into competitive battling but I can't build a team well. Could you help me out, please? Even if it's just telling me which pokemon works well with which pokemon, that helps me out a lot. Basically I need you to help me build a team that will be good,. I'll tell you some of my favorite pokemon to use, to ease you just a little bit: Baton pass Scolipede with Swords Dance, and pretty much every good Skill Link pokemon.

Thanks a lot for any help!

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Hey everyone. I'm new here, so I'm not sure where to post this, please don't kill me. I want to get into competitive battling but I can't build a team well. Could you help me out, please? Even if it's just telling me which pokemon works well with which pokemon, that helps me out a lot. Basically I need you to help me build a team that will be good,. I'll tell you some of my favorite pokemon to use, to ease you just a little bit: Baton pass Scolipede with Swords Dance, and pretty much every good Skill Link pokemon.

Strategy Pokedex is a useful tool for building a team around a certain Pokemon. It isn't flawless, so don't build a team just with its suggestions, but it can help you get started and figure out what good combinations are for your team.

13ulbasaur

it's okay i guess

Hi there! Everyone builds teams differently, but here are some tips as to how I build mine.

What I do is I start with a Pokemon or a core of Pokemon. I look at the Pokemon's weaknesses as a typing, and pick Pokemon that helps to cover that. Using a site like Eggy Emporium's Teambuilder is a great asset. I often simply try to get my Pokemon to synergize well with each other typing wise and avoid stacking weaknesses unnecessarily. Make sure you aren't looking at a Pokemon solely for its typing though, you must also think of its role and viability. Sure I mean, you could but a Stunfisk in your team if it happens to synergize well typing-wise, but what can it actually do in battles? Not much, really. So think about that stuff. You also need to consider some needs in a team, like if some Speed Control would be all your team needs to wreck some lives, consider a Sticky Web setter but one that can mesh well with your team. Stuff like that.

So let's go with an example. Let's say you use Mega Heracross. Immediately, first thing is that Talonflame just destroys it, demolishes it, uhm, wrecks it! So you have a couple of options for Teammates. Rotom-Wash pretty much poops all over Tflame, same with Tyranitar. Tyranitar also happens to cover Heracross' psychic weakness, so you could choose that, but it does stack a fairy weakness, so you'll want somtehing that can deal with that and Tyranitar's other weaknesses. So you could put a Scizor in which helps with fairies but at the same time doens't stack too many weaknesses, adding a Rotom-Wash would alleviate the fire weakness and cover the uncovered water weakness, and thus the four current Pokemon all basically have their weaknesses covered. You would now think about things that would still threaten the team, or further support such as Sticky Web or Thunder Wave to help with Heracross' speed, and really, TTar and Scizor's speed too.

Don't spend more than an hour on your first team draft, overthinking things. You want to get a decent looking team put together, and then test it test it test it! It definitely won't be perfect from the get go, and by testing you can figure out any flaws in your team. Is a Pokemon just not pulling its weight? Is there a certain threat or group of threats that just demolish it? Do you wish your Pokemon would just be able to take a hit from a threat and KO it back? Take notes of these, and rectify your team as it goes on!

You're not gonna get anywhere by getting others to build teams for you. Try it out yourself, and you might find it to be quite fun!

Good luck, and happy teambuilding!

Last edited:

Oktay

Does anyone know how power trick works on the attackdex it says that it swaps the users defense and attack stat. My question is does it swap the EVs? For example I've EV trained 252 on defense does it become 252 on attack after I used the move

Does anyone know how power trick works on the attackdex it says that it swaps the users defense and attack stat. My question is does it swap the EVs? For example I've EV trained 252 on defense does it become 252 on attack after I used the move

Power Trick takes the actual, raw Attack and Defense stats of a Pokemon and swaps them until it switches out. For example, if I had a Pokemon with 350 Attack and 236 Defense and used Power Trick, the Pokemon would then have 236 Attack and 350 Defense. EVs and base stats have no bearing on this.

Hamtaro

under the stars
Why does my 6iv level 100 ditto only have 100 in each stat. Is it so hard to get a good ditto. And mew. They both suck nut.

Sycavar

Thinking about building a team for the Halloween Tournament, debating who would be a better physical sweeper, Golurk or Dusknoir. So far I'm favoring Golurk because of two reasons: first the moveset i'm planning for him will involve it holding the expert belt and from what I figure a Shadow Punch STAB+Iron Fists+Expert belt Proc (since all the opponents minus Spirtomb and Sableye WILL be super effective) and second that will let me run Dusclops who with Eveolite is one of the best walls in the game. Would Golurk be the best option between the two or does anyone have a pitch for Dusknoir as the better sweeper?

Hellbana

Hello fellow trainers,

I am an old player who only just recently got back into the game. One of the major reasons I returned was the opportunity to play in competitive Pokémon battle tourneys and attaining some form of recognized world ranking. After trying to find out how the brackets work and when the tourneys are held I realized things are a whole lot more complicated and decided I should ask some direct questions.

What I want to do is find out how to enter official tourneys or rankings that are recognized by Nintendo or at least the majority of the Pokémon community. I looked at the boards here and at Smogdon (I am sure I spelt that totally wrong) and such only to find dozens of brackets, simulators and rules that are different for each one. What I need to know is what conditions I must meet, where do I find info on upcoming tourneys and how to enter them and if there is an existing ranking system in the game itself that has any weight to it.

Sorry for the long winded post and hope I posted this in the correct section. Any information or help will be much appreciated.

Hellbana the Rocketeer
Proud supporter of Team Rocket

Sycavar

Hello fellow trainers,

I am an old player who only just recently got back into the game. One of the major reasons I returned was the opportunity to play in competitive Pokémon battle tourneys and attaining some form of recognized world ranking. After trying to find out how the brackets work and when the tourneys are held I realized things are a whole lot more complicated and decided I should ask some direct questions.

What I want to do is find out how to enter official tourneys or rankings that are recognized by Nintendo or at least the majority of the Pokémon community. I looked at the boards here and at Smogdon (I am sure I spelt that totally wrong) and such only to find dozens of brackets, simulators and rules that are different for each one. What I need to know is what conditions I must meet, where do I find info on upcoming tourneys and how to enter them and if there is an existing ranking system in the game itself that has any weight to it.

Sorry for the long winded post and hope I posted this in the correct section. Any information or help will be much appreciated.

Hellbana the Rocketeer
Proud supporter of Team Rocket
Smogon has its own set of rules that are different from the rules Nintendo offers (called VGC) that vary from year to year right now standard tournament style for VGC is Doubles unless stated otherwise (like the Halloween event that is coming up) and the requirements are summed up in three questions

"do you have doubles of pokemon and or items?" -you answer No
"Was this pokemon caught/hatched in the Kalos Reigion (on your X or Y game card)" -you answer Yes
"Are any of the pokemon in question a member of the Kalos legendary trio or Mewtwo?" -you answer no

all clear have fun

please note this is a somewhat over summerized of the official rules fortunately you can look deeper on this page http://assets22.pokemon.com/assets/...14/Play_Pokemon_VG_Rules_and_Formats_2014.pdf

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
How should I properly EV train my Togepi throughout it's evolutionary line, concerning its Defence, Sp. Attack and Sp. Defence? How do I manage its EVs?
I mean, as it evolves, its Base Sp. Attack increases, surpassing its Base Defence until it becomes the highest stat, and I don't to make the wrong judgement in coordinating the amount of EVs to assign.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
How should I properly EV train my Togepi throughout it's evolutionary line, concerning its Defence, Sp. Attack and Sp. Defence? How do I manage its EVs?
I mean, as it evolves, its Base Sp. Attack increases, surpassing its Base Defence until it becomes the highest stat, and I don't to make the wrong judgement in coordinating the amount of EVs to assign.

EVs don't change as you level up, there's no difference in EV Training a Togepi and evolving it than EV Training a Togekiss from scratch. That being said, the EVs you need depend on the set you want to run. If you want your Togekiss to be an offensive threat, max out its special attack and speed or HP. If you want it to be bulky, however, max out its HP and defense or special defense. I recommend this set:

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Special Defense / Def
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Paraflinch / Cleric, useful for stopping special sweepers and keeping status effects off your Pokemon.

Anyways, found something rather interesting today:

The opposing Altaria used Fire Blast!
[DEBUG] randBW(100) = 13.
[DEBUG] randBW(16) = 6.
[DEBUG] ModifySpD handler suppressed by Air Lock.
[DEBUG] randBW(16) = 14.
It's super effective! Forretress lost 68.0% of its health

First of all, does Cloud Nine stop weather completely, or does it just nullify its effects? Second, do Steel types get a Special Defense boost in sand as well?

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Anyways, found something rather interesting today:

The opposing Altaria used Fire Blast!
[DEBUG] randBW(100) = 13.
[DEBUG] randBW(16) = 6.
[DEBUG] ModifySpD handler suppressed by Air Lock.
[DEBUG] randBW(16) = 14.
It's super effective! Forretress lost 68.0% of its health

First of all, does Cloud Nine stop weather completely, or does it just nullify its effects? Second, do Steel types get a Special Defense boost in sand as well?

1) Cloud Nine stops all effects of weather while the Pokemon is out, and ceases when it either faints, has the ability nullified, or is withdrawn, and nullifies any boosts/drops/effects on abilities and moves, but does not technically "remove" the weather.
2) Sandstorm only boosts the Sp.Def of Rock types.

Why does my 6iv level 100 ditto only have 100 in each stat. Is it so hard to get a good ditto. And mew. They both suck nut.

It is impossible through normal means for ditto to have 100 in every stat (including HP) at level 100, as with a neutral nature, all of its stats (except HP) with an IV of 0 are 101. So if 101 is what you meant, it looks like you just got ripped off.

Last edited:

Shao-May

Trainer in training
*Make a timid entry*

Hi. So after hours of breeding 5IV pokémon I decided to break the ice and start playing competitively (I'm interested in VGC format, even though there is no tournament where I live). I'm a total newbie when it comes to EV spreads and I would like to have some advice on two of my pokémon.

Mega-Ampharos
I want her to be my trick room sweeper. But she has hard time surviving earthquakes (Damn you Garchomp!). Right now I'm running a 252HP, 252 spAtk and 4 spDef. But I wanted to know if there was a better spread for it.

Umbreon
Umbreon is my stall, whether Trick room or not. Right now he has 252HP, 252Def and 4spDef. Once again I ask if there is a better way to EV this one.

2074red2074

Shiny Collector
*Make a timid entry*

Hi. So after hours of breeding 5IV pokémon I decided to break the ice and start playing competitively (I'm interested in VGC format, even though there is no tournament where I live). I'm a total newbie when it comes to EV spreads and I would like to have some advice on two of my pokémon.

Mega-Ampharos
I want her to be my trick room sweeper. But she has hard time surviving earthquakes (Damn you Garchomp!). Right now I'm running a 252HP, 252 spAtk and 4 spDef. But I wanted to know if there was a better spread for it.

Umbreon
Umbreon is my stall, whether Trick room or not. Right now he has 252HP, 252Def and 4spDef. Once again I ask if there is a better way to EV this one.
Not every Pokémon can beat every other. I would never use my Ferrothorn against a Talonflame, for example. Your Ampharos is probably fine, assuming you also have a physical sweeper.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
*Make a timid entry*

Mega-Ampharos

Umbreon

I think the problem you may be running into here isn't your EV spreads, but rather HOW you're battling. You need to look at your opponent's team and decide who your best lead Pokemon will be, and it might not always be Ampharos. Also, because Amphy is so frail, you may want to consider having two Trick Room Pokemon on your team (Porygon 2 comes to mind, but there are many others). So look at your opponent's team, decide who you think they will lead with, and use that to decide who would be your best lead because lead advantage can sometimes make or break a battle. If Pokemon with Earthquake are giving you issues, you may want to consider adding a physical wall on your team that either resists Earthquake, is flying/has Levitate, or can hit common Earthquake users pretty hard. Mandibuzz, physically defensive Porygon-2, and CroCune come to mind for me simply because I use them all the time. Another option is to have a Pokemon on your team that has Will-O-Wisp so you can halve the damage of the physical attackers. It sounds like you need a Rotom-W (Levitate AND Will-O-Wisp!).

After that, you really just need to get practice battling. Battling competitively is all about prediction. You need to know commonly-used Pokemon and what their movesets usually are so that you can predict what your opponent is going to do and have switch priority. I wonder why you are keeping your Ampharos in on a Garchomp in the first place - you need to learn to predict when your opponent will switch, and also learn to switch yourself. I personally love having both a physical and special wall on my team so that if my opponent catches me off-guard on a switch, I can switch into a wall, take minimal damage, and get an idea of what my opponent's Pokemon does.

I personally learned a lot about common Pokemon, movesets, and strategies in OU and UU by watching PokeTubers on YouTube. My personal favorites are Haydunn, DuncanKneeDeep, and Shofu. They all battle competitively with people who challenge them on social media, and they all do a great job of explaining why they made the decisions they made and how they made mistakes. I enjoy watching their videos and I got a lot of great ideas for members of my team from them and from their opponents. If you want to learn how to think competitively, I highly recommend watching competitive battlers on YouTube.

I hope that helps some :)

Shao-May

Trainer in training
I think the problem you may be running into here isn't your EV spreads, but rather HOW you're battling.

Well there is that too. I don't even have a 100 battles under my belt yet. Like I said it's the first time in years that I played pokémon against another living being so it is quite a shock. Also, there is time where I brought ampharos against Garchomp because in Trick room I can deal severe damage to it (when I'm ready to sacrifice it). Also, you have to keep in mind that in the lower barel people tend to do things that you do not expect because they are new too (twice a Garchomp tried to use dragon claw on my azumarill and that was on rated battles).

There is also the fact that I mixed spD stats with spd so it didn't probably helped me at all.

But yeah I watch some youtubers. But predicting by yourself is hard as hell. It's like any sports. It's easy when you see it, but when you do it...

And don't worry your post help a bit. I knew shofu but I aslo watch cybertron, Alex Oglooza and JFlynn and I lurk a lot on NuggetBridge.