• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I have a general question about EV's, I'm not sure if its been asked before, but I couldn't really find any answers. Anyway, I tend to fully EV train my Pokemon at level 1 through super training. My question is, if my Pokemon are then fully EV trained right out of the gate, does it matter which Pokemon I battle considering without being fully EV trained a Pokemon will gain EV's through battle? Be it wild Pokemon, trainer battles, etc??

Once you've fully EV trained, you don't need to worry about obtaining unwanted EV's from trainers or wild Pokes.

cantavanda

Blue Rose Princess
Cresselia or Gourgeist?

Hello, I am running a trick room double battle team, with three varying type slow offensive pokémon, and one defensive wall that sets up everything. But I am wondering, Cresselia or Gourgeist? I've been using Cresselia for ages now, but I see some opportunities with Gourgeist, but with everything comes a downside.

Cresselia Pros:
Cresselia is an absolute beast, she has protect, trick room, moonlight and ice beam (against the noob dragons). She is almost impossible to kill, even with super effective maximum choice band technician Scizor that does bug bite (super effective), she only has one half of her health gone. She is super annoying and invincible.

Gourgeist Pros:
My second Pokémon, my main powerhouse, is either Mega Tyrannitar or Mega Kangasthan, the thing that gourgeist can do is with Trick or Treat, make them both also a ghost type, which is extremely powerful giving Tyrannitar his big weakness gone and the same with Kangasthan. Gourgeist can also use confuse ray and will o wisp to annoy the frick out of the enemies. But the downside is, I haven't tested it, but my instincts say that he will die extremely fast. He has a bad special defense and HP.

Other question:
Do you know any other Pokémon, that are full walls, slow and can use trick or treat? Probably not, I've searched Duskenoir and he couldn't do it.

Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
-Cantavanda

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
First off I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers from since at level 50...

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Cresselia: 204-242 (89.8 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (analysis spread for TR Cresselia)
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 162-192 (71.3 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That being said, I'm not the most experienced with Doubles Trick Room teams but Cresselia has always been a flagship Doubles threat regardless of what set it runs. You can't go wrong with Cresselia. I'm not sure Gourgeist offers much to Doubles outside of a gimmicky Trick or Treat strategy but I can't say that I know a whole lot about Gourgeist. In theory Trick or Treat is a gimmick that looks usable but it does require set-up that can easily backfire and turn Gourgeist into more of a liability than a boon.

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
Hey guys, I have a Victini that I just finished EV training that I got from a dear friend, and I was wondering if this moveset will work. I'm running it on a team with Sticky Web support.

Victini Lv.100
Adamant Nature
252 ATK, 4 DEF, 2 HP, 252 SPD
Item: Choice Band
Moveset: V-Create, Fusion Bolt, Zen Headbutt, Brick Break

Alot of sets suggest U-Turn..but honestly with a choice item on Victini, it seems like you'd be hard switching him alot anyway. Can anyone help me?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey guys, I have a Victini that I just finished EV training that I got from a dear friend, and I was wondering if this moveset will work. I'm running it on a team with Sticky Web support.

Victini Lv.100
Adamant Nature
252 ATK, 4 DEF, 2 HP, 252 SPD
Item: Choice Band
Moveset: V-Create, Fusion Bolt, Zen Headbutt, Brick Break

Alot of sets suggest U-Turn..but honestly with a choice item on Victini, it seems like you'd be hard switching him alot anyway. Can anyone help me?

Since you name Fusion Bolt over Bolt Strike I'm assuming you have the non-Japanese event (Japanese event had Bolt Strike and Blue Flare), so nothing can be done about that. As for U-turn, it's actually very useful especially on Choiced Pokemon to gain momentum. If you bring Victini in on something you know they can't afford to keep in, you can U-turn and if they switched, you have the advantage to bring in something that does well against their switch-in. I don't know much about Victini as a whole but U-turn is always a useful option, especially with Choice Band backing it up.

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
Since you name Fusion Bolt over Bolt Strike I'm assuming you have the non-Japanese event (Japanese event had Bolt Strike and Blue Flare), so nothing can be done about that. As for U-turn, it's actually very useful especially on Choiced Pokemon to gain momentum. If you bring Victini in on something you know they can't afford to keep in, you can U-turn and if they switched, you have the advantage to bring in something that does well against their switch-in. I don't know much about Victini as a whole but U-turn is always a useful option, especially with Choice Band backing it up.

Yeah. I have the Movie 14 Victini. And alright, I'll give U-Turn a try.

devilmonkey

ROWROWFightDaPOWAH
Howdy

I'm lookin to start getting into the competitive Doubles arena. I've been a pretty proficient Singles battler since forever, but doubles is a whole new beast. I was wonderin' if anyone had any poignant advice to give in regards to how someone approached team building/thinking from Singles to Doubles?

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
I'm having the most difficult time figuring out a moveset for my M-Gardevoir. I'm always concerned about it's frailty..but I don't know about running a slower, bulkier set. I already run Sticky Web support to help with it's average speed..but I just don't know if my moveset is viable. I tried Calm Mind, but it's very risky to set up with Gardevoir, especially against all these hyper offense teams I regularly end up against. Here's what I"m using.

M-Gardevoir
Item: Gardevoirite(Dur.)
Nature: Modest
226 Sp.ATK, 32 DEF, 252 Speed.
Psyshock, Focus Blast, Hyper Voice, Charge Beam

I figured using Charge Beam would work better then Calm Mind since Charge Beam can finish off weakened Pokemon and deals damage. Can anyone give me a hand?

I'm having the most difficult time figuring out a moveset for my M-Gardevoir. I'm always concerned about it's frailty..but I don't know about running a slower, bulkier set. I already run Sticky Web support to help with it's average speed..but I just don't know if my moveset is viable. I tried Calm Mind, but it's very risky to set up with Gardevoir, especially against all these hyper offense teams I regularly end up against. Here's what I"m using.

M-Gardevoir
Item: Gardevoirite(Dur.)
Nature: Modest
226 Sp.ATK, 32 DEF, 252 Speed.
Psyshock, Focus Blast, Hyper Voice, Charge Beam

I figured using Charge Beam would work better then Calm Mind since Charge Beam can finish off weakened Pokemon and deals damage. Can anyone give me a hand?

unless those 32 defense evs let you live something really important, id just go with modest 252 spa 252 speed. i'd normally prefer timid gardevoir, but with sticky web support, modest is the better choice here. as for your moveset, id try out taunt or will o wisp over charge beam. the other three moves are pretty standard, and pretty good.

Poke Maniac Eddie

Embrace Eternity.
Thanks for the help. I went with a build I found on Smogon, because it seems to work well. It's 234 Sp.ATK, 24 DEF, and 252 Speed. Moves are Psyshock, Focus Blast, Hyper Voice and Will-O-Wisp. I may take out Will-O for Protect, but I'll give Will-O a try.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I was thinking of having Mew as a Baton Passer. You see my friend, I've already got a Mew that has the perfect Max Ivs on all of its stats throughout the trade. As much as I like for Mew to learn the move "Defog", I don't see any Move Tutors on ORAS that can teach that move. I have the list of move set for Mew as a Baton Passer...

Baton Pass
Mew @ Leftovers
Nature: Hasty
EV: 252 HP/ 152 SpDef/ 104 Speed
Baton Pass
Substitute
Rock Polish/Sword Dance/Rock Polish
Taunt/Knock Off/Ice Beam

Baton Pass (Full)
Mew@Mental Herb/Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Nature: Bold
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Amnesia/Iron Defense/Bulk Up/Calm Mind
-Taunt/Dazzling Gleam/Ice Beam

Mew@ Leftovers
Ev: 252 HP/ 152 SpD/ 104 Speed
Baton Pass
Substitute
Sword Dance/Rock Polish/Nasty Plot
Taunt/Knock Off

So what do you think of the moveset for Mew as Baton Passer? Is it that a good idea?

Okay guys I've almost built a full team for OU. However there is one type of pokemon I'm looking to add to my team.
My last slot will be filled by a curse tank. Any good ideas for a curse tank that would be viable in Overused and if so what pokemon would you recomend?
Alternatively Bulk Up works just as well as curse

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Okay guys I've almost built a full team for OU. However there is one type of pokemon I'm looking to add to my team.
My last slot will be filled by a curse tank. Any good ideas for a curse tank that would be viable in Overused and if so what pokemon would you recomend?
Alternatively Bulk Up works just as well as curse
There are no OU-viable Curse users in Gen VI, and we'd need to know your entire team anyway so we could suggest something that synergies well with what you have.

Then I've got one other question. Would bulk Up talonflame sync well with Dragonite despite both sharing the flying type?

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Then I've got one other question. Would bulk Up talonflame sync well with Dragonite despite both sharing the flying type?

As long as you are willing to have a slot for a spinner to keep rocks off the field they would be fine.

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
Hey guys!

I somehow got roped into playing Smogon OU Singles against other schools as a part of a thing my Pokemon League is doing, and I'm tempted to do something gimmicky but I'm afraid that it's going to just end up being pathetic.
I'm running a mega Lopunny on my team right now. As much as I don't really like the design of the thing, I can't deny that it's just awesome in battle between its ridiculous Attack and the nice type coverage it gets (seriously, between Ice Punch and Return and High Jump Kick is there anything it doesn't hit for at least Neutral damage?).
But... what if it wasn't a Mega?
Given that Lopunny is basically only a thing you see because it has a good Mega evolution in ORAS, I could easily trick people into thinking that it's my mega (while having a different one waiting in the wings of course). And with access to Klutz, I could set up some pretty nasty shenanigans with Switcheroo - a Toxic Orb user? Here, have a Flame Orb instead. A stall pokemon with no attacking moves? I'm sure you can put this Assault Vest to good use (since I believe Klutz negates everything the Vest does, so Lopunny can just ignore that "needs to use a damaging move" thing).
On the downside, a regular Lopunny is not really going to be able to KO that much, and while it would be pretty hilarious to just screw with the entire opposing teams' items I think that in reality I'm going to be the one who has a bad time.

Planned build was this:
Lopunny @ Flame Orb (or Assault Vest)
Ability: Klutz
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe OR 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Switcheroo
- Dizzy Punch
- Healing Wish

Healing Wish because if I can save one other near-fainting Pokemon from doing exactly that, and then getting a second chance to sweep with it, I might be able to turn some battles around after Lopunny's done trying to troll the other person.

Should I even bother testing this build, or just stick with the Mega? Also was my jumble of text even remotely as coherent as it was when it was still inside my brain?

Thanks for any advice/constructive criticism/whatever in advance. ._.

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Can someone please explain to me how Stored Power works? I tried using this Clefable build:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Magic Guard
Bold
252 HP/160 Def/96 SpDef

Cosmic Power
Moonlight (because I don't have access to Softboiled)
Moonblast/Aromatherapy
Stored Power

Just to play around with it and see what would happen. I thought that if I got a couple of Cosmic Powers up (+1 Def/+1 SpDef), I would be able to do quite a bit of damage with Stored Power, since every positive stat change gives the move a 20 BP boost. Every Cosmic Power should be giving me a 40 BP increase, but whenever I used Stored Power, it wasn't really doing much damage no matter what kind of Pokemon I used it on even after I got its Base Power up to 100.

Am I interpreting how this move works the wrong way?

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Can someone please explain to me how Stored Power works? I tried using this Clefable build:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Magic Guard
Bold
252 HP/160 Def/96 SpDef

Cosmic Power
Moonlight (because I don't have access to Softboiled)
Moonblast/Aromatherapy
Stored Power

Just to play around with it and see what would happen. I thought that if I got a couple of Cosmic Powers up (+1 Def/+1 SpDef), I would be able to do quite a bit of damage with Stored Power, since every positive stat change gives the move a 20 BP boost. Every Cosmic Power should be giving me a 40 BP increase, but whenever I used Stored Power, it wasn't really doing much damage no matter what kind of Pokemon I used it on even after I got its Base Power up to 100.

No you aren't. Stored Power increases with each positive stat increase. So using Cosmic Power will give you a nice bonus since you are boosting Defense and Special Defense each time you use it. It's what make Sigilyph a beast to fight against when it combos Cosmic Power and Stored Power

KillerDraco

Moved the above posts to the appropriate thread because they were not about specific team building questions, but rather, questions on a more individual level.

Planned build was this:
Lopunny @ Flame Orb (or Assault Vest)
Ability: Klutz
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe OR 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Switcheroo
- Dizzy Punch
- Healing Wish

To be honest, non-Mega Lopunny is absolutely terrible, but Klutz-Switcheroo was basically its only niche prior to getting a Mega Evolution. It's not a great niche, but it's something that it can do. Still a terrible Pokemon though. Though to be fair, Dizzy Punch doesn't accomplish much, given it doesn't hit nearly hard enough, and a 20% chance to confuse is nothing special. Usually it's better to go for something like Encore or Thunder Wave for more of a supportive role. You can also consider a Choice item for Switcheroo-ing. Attack EVs are unneeded. Go 248 HP / 8 Def or SpDef / 252 Spe.

Your interpretation of the move is correct. That said, you have to consider that a completely uninvested Clefable with no Life Orb that isn't using a STAB move isn't exactly going to have too much power behind it, even with a base 100 move. It may just be a relative thing that it may seem like it's not doing as much as you'd expect.