• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Zaky

So I got a Rotom with perfect IVs in every stat except speed, using a bulky special sweeper layout suggested by Pokemon Showdown. I already went through the trouble of EV training and leveling it up to 50, but now I'm seeing that speed is supposedly the most important stat. Should I breed more to try and get perfect speed, or will I be fine without?

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
So I got a Rotom with perfect IVs in every stat except speed, using a bulky special sweeper layout suggested by Pokemon Showdown. I already went through the trouble of EV training and leveling it up to 50, but now I'm seeing that speed is supposedly the most important stat. Should I breed more to try and get perfect speed, or will I be fine without?
1.) Special Sweeper is bad, Showdown lies about suggested stat spreads. Unless offensive is a thing in VGC/Battlespot?
2.) Yes Speed is important, try for perfect. If you can make sure Attack is minimum too.

Mye

Someone has to win..
It depends. For certain tanky rotom builds (ones that revolve around a 252hp/252spattack kind of EV spread) speed doesn't actually matter too much as most of the things it wants to outspeed sit at the base-70 speed tier (which, unless they invest heavily in the stat, won't be too much of a problem). Unless you're one of those OCD pure-breeders who has to have everything perfect, a non-perfect speed IV won't matter too much.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves

Scratch

Here's one I can't figure out.
With the rotation battle for Legendaries coming up, I was wondering if Xerneas and Yveltal's ability would still work for my other pokemon while x/y is not the active pokemon... ?

Buuz

Smash Trainer
My question would be: i am raising the legendary beasts to use in a competitive match. If i follow the VGC 2015 rules, can i use the shiny event Pokémon from a couple of years ago? Entei had Extremespeed back then, Raikou had Aura Sphere. These would be slightly more useful so i'd like to use them instead of the beasts from Trackless Forest.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
My question would be: i am raising the legendary beasts to use in a competitive match. If i follow the VGC 2015 rules, can i use the shiny event Pokémon from a couple of years ago? Entei had Extremespeed back then, Raikou had Aura Sphere. These would be slightly more useful so i'd like to use them instead of the beasts from Trackless Forest.

Nope, only Pokemon with the pentagon (caught or bred in Gen 6) are allowed in VGC so you'd have to use the ones caught in ORAS. Raikou really doesn't like being forced to run Rash nature anyway so a regular Raikou is fine.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Nope, only Pokemon with the pentagon (caught or bred in Gen 6) are allowed in VGC so you'd have to use the ones caught in ORAS. Raikou really doesn't like being forced to run Rash nature anyway so a regular Raikou is fine.

Good thing i caught a Modest Raikou just now. I already have an Adamant Entei and will now check for a Calm Suicune. Thanks for answering.

Tyrus01

team building help

I need help picking a 6th pokemon for my new team. This is what I've got so far.
Talonflame galewings
Brave bird, flare blitz, roost, and u-turn
Aegislash stance change
King's shield, iron head, shadow ball, and sacred sword
Greninja protean
Hydro pump, night slash, grass knot, and u-turn
Mega Ampharos
Volt switch, dragon pulse, signal beam, and power gem
Ferrothorn
Power whip, iron head, spikes, and stealth rock
Also any suggested move or pokemon changes would be appreciated

Moonclawz

Aura Trainer
Are you playing standard Smogon OU (singles)? Both Aegislash and Greninja are banned for that meta.

If not, I would probably recommend a Latios with Life Orb, and the moves Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Defog, and Roost. Defog greatly helps Talonflame by removing Stealth Rocks and Latios also fits the offensive nature of your team pretty well. Latios also gives your team a better check to Keldeo and a ground-immunity, two pretty useful traits for your team.

Hope this helps!

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Do Sharp Beak Talonflame variants run Jolly or Adamant? I hear Jolly a lot but just want confirmation.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Do Sharp Beak Talonflame variants run Jolly or Adamant? I hear Jolly a lot but just want confirmation.

Jolly helps a lot if you want to hit a priority benchmark and retain some bulk.

Ant_TKD

I've just finished off my Gen IV and Gen V games and am bringing up my legendaries to Alpha Sapphire to join the rest of my collection. This means that I am now ready to get a serious team together.

Currently, my ORAS battle box is inhabited by a team of level 100 Pokemon who have been trained in Blissy Bases from level 70. They are Blastoise, Charizard, Mewtwo, Venasaur, Zapdos and Pidgeot. If PSS Battles have taught me anything, it's that this teams is unsuitable for a real battle. They are constantly subject to one-hit KOs.

So, how do you put together a decent competitive team? What structure do such teams take? I'm not looking at specific Natures and IV's, but a basic structure, held items and EV distribution would be handy.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
IVs and Natures are important because low IVs and negative natures can affect your bulk drastically.

I cannot help you with teambuilding because I am a bad builder, but you need to decide what you want your win condition to be and support it so it can sweep your opponent.

Also ditch Mewtwo. Opponents will see that as an excuse to bring their Ubers team against you and you won't stand a chance. Assuming they don't just quit because you're using an Uber.

Ant_TKD

I have no intention of keeping that above team as it is. I'm also not looking for anything seriously competitive. I just want a team that can put up a good fight, even if they lose.

I know IVs are important, but getting a Pokemon with the right IVs would be tough.
Also, I get that different Pokemon will need their EVs allocated to different stats, and the stats which they have the most potential in can be found out by talking to a specific npc. But how much should you EV train that stat and what would you do with the other stats?

Finally, how do natures affect a Pokemon?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Finally, how do natures affect a Pokemon?

Natures increase one stat other than HP by x1.1 and another stat other than HP by x0.9. There are a total of 25 Natures but only 5 have a neutral effect, which aren't useful for competitive. Fairly common Natures for sweepers are Jolly and Timid.

Ant_TKD

Okay, so let's say I want to have Spiritomb on my team.

Her nature is calm (so, according to Internet + Sp.Def and - Attk) and she has previously had Pokerus.

According to the NPC in the Battle resort, her "potential is above average overall" with the greatest potential in its Sp. Atk stat but "Sp. Def stat seems just as good".

So, how would you allocate its EVs if I was to use a reset bag on it first?