• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hey guys,

I've been soft resetting for a Groudon with a good balance of IVs and nature, and so far the best I've gotten is bashful with flawless HP/Atk/SDef. I'm looking for him to be a strong force on my VGC team, and I'm not sure if I should stick with this or reset again. Thoughts?

Honestly 3IV Bashful isn't great... You can easily do better than that. Are you trying to get a 5IV? If so be prepared to SR for a long, long, long time.

I SR'd a Modest 5IV Heatran a few months ago. I lost track of exactly how many times I had to reset but it was at least 12,000. I actually encountered 3 shiny Heatrans in the process.

If you're not already, make sure to use an Adamant (or whatever nature you're looking for) Pokemon with Synchronize.

Doziz

Fossil Hunter
That's not bad, but ideally you do want a 5/6IV (or as close as possible) one with a better nature. Which nature and IVs depends on what kind of team (Trick Room, etc.) and Groudon (physical, special, or mixed) you're running. SRing can be a pain, so if you get tired of it but still need a Groudon, definitely check out the trade forums on Nuggetbridge (VGC-specific forum where the users are very generous with trading legends like this. They know SRing can take forever) or even here (I have a few I would trade for next to nothing if it's what you need!).

I'll give it a go myself first, but if push comes to shove, I'm looking for a Brave Groudon, I guess 31/31/31/31/31/0 is absolute perfection. Not really sure what I could offer you though :/

Honestly 3IV Bashful isn't great... You can easily do better than that. Are you trying to get a 5IV? If so be prepared to SR for a long, long, long time.

I SR'd a Modest 5IV Heatran a few months ago. I lost track of exactly how many times I had to reset but it was at least 12,000. I actually encountered 3 shiny Heatrans in the process.

If you're not already, make sure to use an Adamant (or whatever nature you're looking for) Pokemon with Synchronize.

Of course, I'd completely forgotten about Synchronize, thanks! I'll be getting a Brave one for sure, guess I'll be spending a bit of time on it ^_^'

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
You lose vs neutral Heatran anyways without a heavy Speed investment, and Quiet Heatran is only ever seen on gimmicky TR teams.

Never actually lost vs neutral heatran, and yes I do speed creep Defog Scizor.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Never actually lost vs neutral heatran, and yes I do speed creep Defog Scizor.

Neutral 0 Speed Heatran hits 190 Speed, neutral 0 Speed Scizor hits 166 Speed. In other words you need a 100 EV investment in Speed to creep it, which cuts into his longevity pretty severely. Plus it's utterly pointless unless you run Superpower since nothing else Scizor carries can really bother Heatran while Tran can roast it with basically anything it wants.

Plus Timid Max/Max Heatran isn't unheard of on offensive teams, and it beats all Scizor save for perhaps Scarf sets packing Superpower.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Neutral 0 Speed Heatran hits 190 Speed, neutral 0 Speed Scizor hits 166 Speed. In other words you need a 100 EV investment in Speed to creep it, which cuts into his longevity pretty severely. Plus it's utterly pointless unless you run Superpower since nothing else Scizor carries can really bother Heatran while Tran can roast it with basically anything it wants.

Plus Timid Max/Max Heatran isn't unheard of on offensive teams, and it beats all Scizor save for perhaps Scarf sets packing Superpower.

I'm aware of offensive heatran, heck it's one of my favorite sets, I run careful Scizor with +2 to outspeed neutral heatran for the chance at u turning, and of course forming a better core with trick scarf rotom.

You might say it's oddly specific but that's a core I really abuse well on M Alakazam teams.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i got this EV set from Smogon almost 7 months ago or longer for a Gardevoir. its rather gimmicky and very niche and it has served me rather well for the opponents that ive faces. i dont do OU battle as my team is a mixed tier with 1 or 2 OU pkmn and the rest are UU tier. any good garchomp, scizor (depends on situation/team) or any top commonly used pkmn team can usually have a field trip on my team. i have a bold wish passing Gardevoir and a sweeper Gardevoir too but my main Gardevoir is either a mega or sitrus berry. lucario is my common mega (or life orb).

id like to know how my modest (5IV missing ATK) Gardevoir fares against other top tier pkmn. i know he can survive an unbanded bullet punch from a mega lucario and mega-scizor only at full health and survive with very minimal HP left. i got psyshock, moon blast, thunderbolt, Twave/focus blast. im currently running the focus blast set but i dont mind running will o wisp instead of Twave. the EVs are 116 HP, 144 SPA, 194 Speed, 52 DEF, 4 SDF. i like that he has good speed and power. he is susceptible to being worn down by neutral attacks but has decent bulk to non effective moves. his speed stat at lvl 100 is 244, havent yet checked it at lvl 50. does he also have the stats at full Health to survive a metagross bullet punch?

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
i got this EV set from Smogon almost 7 months ago or longer for a Gardevoir. its rather gimmicky and very niche and it has served me rather well for the opponents that ive faces. i dont do OU battle as my team is a mixed tier with 1 or 2 OU pkmn and the rest are UU tier. any good garchomp, scizor (depends on situation/team) or any top commonly used pkmn team can usually have a field trip on my team. i have a bold wish passing Gardevoir and a sweeper Gardevoir too but my main Gardevoir is either a mega or sitrus berry. lucario is my common mega (or life orb).

id like to know how my modest (5IV missing ATK) Gardevoir fares against other top tier pkmn. i know he can survive an unbanded bullet punch from a mega lucario and mega-scizor only at full health and survive with very minimal HP left. i got psyshock, moon blast, thunderbolt, Twave/focus blast. im currently running the focus blast set but i dont mind running will o wisp instead of Twave. the EVs are 116 HP, 144 SPA, 194 Speed, 52 DEF, 4 SDF. i like that he has good speed and power. he is susceptible to being worn down by neutral attacks but has decent bulk to non effective moves. his speed stat at lvl 100 is 244, havent yet checked it at lvl 50. does he also have the stats at full Health to survive a metagross bullet punch?

It depends on the set Metagross is running. Here's how you stack up against some various Metagross sets (Mega, Band, Life Orb, AV/other item)

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 242-288 (79 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 290-344 (94.7 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 257-304 (83.9 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 198-234 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So Choice Band sets have a chance to OHKO you no matter what, and Life Orb / Mega sets can KO you with a little prior damage. AV/Leftovers sets are a 2HKO. It's worth noting that Jolly max Speed Mega Metagross outspeeds you after it Mega Evolves and can easily OHKO with Meteor Mash.

In the future, you can use this damage calculator to check how your Pokemon does in various matchups.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
It depends on the set Metagross is running. Here's how you stack up against some various Metagross sets (Mega, Band, Life Orb, AV/other item)

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 242-288 (79 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 290-344 (94.7 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 257-304 (83.9 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 116 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 198-234 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So Choice Band sets have a chance to OHKO you no matter what, and Life Orb / Mega sets can KO you with a little prior damage. AV/Leftovers sets are a 2HKO. It's worth noting that Jolly max Speed Mega Metagross outspeeds you after it Mega Evolves and can easily OHKO with Meteor Mash.

In the future, you can use this damage calculator to check how your Pokemon does in various matchups.

thank you very much, i always wondered where all that damage data came from. i will definitely be using that link to assess the damage i can do to the opponents. its prety damn cool to see it can survive metagross bullet punch with a minimal amount of hp from full. i really have mine setup to survive with the slimmest margins possible. i should atleast be able to get a burn on him before i go down. Tbolt is one of my coverage moves but shadow ball is still an coverage option for me. i cant say im surprised the choice items giving me very little chance of survival on that. im playing on a pkmn X file so i wont need to worry about mega metagross but i still have problems with metagross in general. looks like a burned metagross is my best friend should i come across metagross in battle when metoer mash is taken into account.

i really like that link, i can now look up the exact stats on my pkmn. i was looking for a while for a calculator where i can put down the 6 stat values and see the exact IV traits it has ie imperfect IVs. im off to play with some stats on the calculator :)

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just had my starter, Treecko, shine for me. Despite having a not so good nature, Careful & Somewhat vain, was wondering whats the best route in regards to his IVs that I should super train him in? Thanks for your opinions!
#252 Treecko [Careful]
IVs: 0 - 19 / 10 - 26 / 10 - 26 / 10 - 26 / 26 / 0 - 19
Stats at Lv.5: 19 / 10 / 9 / 10 / 12 / 12

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Hey guys. Just had my starter, Treecko, shine for me. Despite having a not so good nature, Careful & Somewhat vain, was wondering whats the best route in regards to his IVs that I should super train him in? Thanks for your opinions!
#252 Treecko [Careful]
IVs: 0 - 19 / 10 - 26 / 10 - 26 / 10 - 26 / 26 / 0 - 19
Stats at Lv.5: 19 / 10 / 9 / 10 / 12 / 12
It's worthless competitively due to the Careful nature and less-than-perfect IVs.

KillerDraco

I still want to EV train him regardless.

Then that's your choice. However, it will never be worthwhile competitively and there's nothing any amount of EV training can do to stop that. Having a counter-productive nature and horrid IVs are not something that EV training alone can overcome. They're that bad.

KillerDraco

Guess Ill ask somewhere else.

You'll get the same answer. Any competitive site is going to tell you that Careful nature is an awful nature for Sceptile, and the attack, special attack, and speed EVs are too low to be competitively viable.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Guess Ill ask somewhere else.

I'll go with the rest, that Pokémon is garbage and there are absolutely no decent sets it can fulfill, it can't outspeed things due to neutral nature and below 20 speed evs, it is a Pokemon with bad bulk and even worse evs so you can't speed creep plus tank at all, your nature makes it best role mediocre as it loses every 2hko it could have achieved by being - 10% lower base and having negative points if you invest on it.

Its terrible and there is nothing you can do about it.

EpicSeraph

seen regice lately?
Hi guys,

I have a question about the Jirachi event. Why is jolly preferred over adamant for the choice scarf set ?

I ask because I have soft reset and currently have an adamant (unsaved) Jirachi with an IV spread of:

31/31/30/-/29/31

Thinking he's good enough to keep at this stage.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Hi guys,

I have a question about the Jirachi event. Why is jolly preferred over adamant for the choice scarf set ?

I ask because I have soft reset and currently have an adamant (unsaved) Jirachi with an IV spread of:

31/31/30/-/29/31

Thinking he's good enough to keep at this stage.

A huge number of scarfers are base 100, base 80+speed nature DD users, the ability to hit jump points and then invest on hp to avoid pursuit trapping.

Those little things make scarf Jirachi the superior version over adamant.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
When running Adamant on Dragon Dance Dragonite, are there any KOes it gets at +1 after a Dragon Dance that Jolly doesn't?

Off the top of my head, you miss out on OHKOs on 0/0 Metagross, Conkeldurr, and Dragon-neutral base 100s like Manaphy and Mew. There's probably more stuff, you can use Showdown's damage calculator's 1 vs all function to check.

Rotom1598

I currently have an unsaved Jirachi with Naughty nature and 31/31/29-30/0/31/31.
Naughty raises it attack and lowers special defence.
Should I keep it?