• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Whats the best moveset for Umbreon with Relaxed nature but no Wish egg move? Does it still need baton pass?

Umbreon
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- ?
- ?
- Heal Bell?
- Foul Play?

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Whats the best moveset for Umbreon with Relaxed nature but no Wish egg move? Does it still need baton pass?

Umbreon
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- ?
- ?
- Heal Bell?
- Foul Play?

You need wish, otherwise it sucks. You could try Moonlight+curse and be destroyed in weather, you could try rest+curse but umbreon won't be killing anything until the third boost with payback.

Just breed one with wish and let it work as a cleric, anything else for umbreon in singles outright sucks or its so heavily outclassed it ain't worth the attempt to support the gimmick.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Not sure if this is more of a breeding or competitive-help question but here goes.

I'm building a 'not-normal' team and I'm going to put a Magmar on it, I want the Magmar to have 5IVs and a decent nature but given the baby Magby what is the best approach to breeding the pokemon effectively? Do I just need to suck it up and level the 'good' Magby as they hatch for the next batch of eggs?

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Welcome to suffering. I went that way when breeding a competitive hp ice Naive ha Pikachu.

You just basically suck it up and chainbreed the decent female Magbys if you want to preserve a ball. If you have one of those 6iv ditto thing become easier as you could use a 4iv-5iv female Magyar second generation with a desired father of the egg group.

God...i freaking loathe baby Pokémon...i can't actually believe people want more of these breeding speed bumpers every new gen.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Welcome to suffering. I went that way when breeding a competitive hp ice Naive ha Pikachu.

You just basically suck it up and chainbreed the decent female Magbys if you want to preserve a ball. If you have one of those 6iv ditto thing become easier as you could use a 4iv-5iv female Magyar second generation with a desired father of the egg group.

God...i freaking loathe baby Pokémon...i can't actually believe people want more of these breeding speed bumpers every new gen.
Thanks for the reply, I sucked it up and just bread my butt off. Getting a 6iv Magby took 8 generations but I finally did it.

Not too terrible but it was definitely annoying to have to level each Magby.

e: Now for the joy of breeding a physical Elekid with egg moves.

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Thanks for the reply, I sucked it up and just bread my butt off. Getting a 6iv Magby took 8 generations but I finally did it.

Not too terrible but it was definitely annoying to have to level each Magby.

e: Now for the joy of breeding a physical Elekid with egg moves.

Oh be sure to put the mon in the correct ball aesthetically! Love Ball Magby is most definitely love
just kiddin dont do that its a curse to get into

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is there a trick to using endeavor in battles? its not for competitive but for play in casual battling. does endeavor have to run second or do you need atleast 99%HP for it to work?

KillerDraco

is there a trick to using endeavor in battles? its not for competitive but for play in casual battling. does endeavor have to run second or do you need atleast 99%HP for it to work?

Endeavor sets your opponent's HP to be equal to your own current HP. As a result, your HP has to be less than your opponent's HP, or it fails. Most use of Endeavor relies on Focus Sash/Sturdy to be effective, since surviving a lethal hit with either puts you at 1 HP, which will in turn allow Endeavor to do likewise to your opponent.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Endeavor sets your opponent's HP to be equal to your own current HP. As a result, your HP has to be less than your opponent's HP, or it fails. Most use of Endeavor relies on Focus Sash/Sturdy to be effective, since surviving a lethal hit with either puts you at 1 HP, which will in turn allow Endeavor to do likewise to your opponent.

thank you very much KillerDraco. in the 2 battles i tried it in happened to have a faster pkmn to the opponent or was at full health. the opponents were immune to endeavor at that time. im guessing i will need to have my pkmn take some damage first or put it up vs a faster opponent.

lol i just had a great funny battle around 1hr ago with the endeavor pkmn and it was great. its gimmicky but very fun to troll players.

Last edited:

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
I have a lot of trouble with manipulating Individual Values for the purpose of Hidden Power. Just today I spent a lot longer than I should have trying to get an Electrike with Hidden Power (Ice) and only one Electrike ever got it, at the cost of pretty much all of his defense (IV spread is 31/some odd number/2/31/31/31). For a case from long ago, my Contrary Serperior only has a 31/15/13/14/25/22 IV spread in order to get Hidden Power (Fire).

Is there something I should be doing to breed a good pokemon with a preferred Hidden Power type while still keeping their IV's high, if not exclusively at 30 or 31?

Contraband

Hi I'm new here so apologies if I'm in the wrong place but I read the rules so I think this is right. Onto the question:

I've been SR'ing for two days now and I got my wonder card shiny Rayquaza with an Adamant nature and an IV spread of 31/21/31/31/31/31 and I was hoping for an opinion on whether this would be good for stiff like the battle maison, monthly tournaments nintendo puts on like the johto classic, and ocassional battle spot battles or is the 21 IV in attack a no go? I'm not super competitive I just don't to be curb stomped. Also I already have a naive rayquaza.

Any help is appreciated.

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
Hey, all I'm participating in the International Competition Master's Divisions for June right now, and I just got my Play! Pokemon account properly set up to receive points in the middle of a battle. Will I be able to still receive Play! points for the June competition. I wasn't aware I had to do one more step. Will I still be able to get my Shiny Mewtwo? How do I get Play! points?

Lovice

I plan to go to pokemon nationals next week I wanted to know if you must buy tickets I do not plan to battle I just want to watch it all

Ablazingrace

I have a somewhat difficult request:
Would someone here please teach me how to battle respectably?
Before I get bashed with 'use google' or 'this isnt the place for this' (sorry if it's not; I couldn't find anywhere else to post it), I want to say that I do not and will not use smogon.
Reasons being that they outright ban legitimate moves, abilities, etc. that are made into the game thus closing many options, and rank half the pokemon in existance in their 'PU' tier, which I find sickening.... Now that that's out of the way, I also want to say that I HAVE Googled numerous guides on this, and I've read the newcomer guides on team building, and learned absolutely nothing about HOW to battle. I need a living person to show me the ropes.
I know how to breed and I can breed basically anything with 5-6Vs, nature, moves, etc. but I don't know what setups I should use, what pokemon I should have on a team, or what moves I should use and when.
I've been searching google for forums and reddits (which was met with utter rudeness btw) and haven't found a single person who'll help me. I've been on Showdown! and that didn't really help me either. The reason I ask for this help is that I have friends IRL who play pokemon, and I really want to be able to actually DO things with them. The issue is that they are ridiculously experienced whereas I've only fought 2 battles (lost them both btw), one of them being with one of my friends. I can't ask them to teach me, either. Why would they help train their enemy...?

Anyways, if anyone can help PLEASE contact me ASAP. Sorry for the giant wall of text; I tried to space it out and make it easier to read :/ And thanks for reading it to begin with.

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
Ive seen some people asking for Ditto with certain HP. Why do they need them? I know why people need 6IV Ditto, but why does the ditto has to have certain HP? Isnt HP breeding kinda random since it depends on IVs which is calculated randomly?
If for example I want a HP Fire ditto, is the chance of me getting it 100%, if I breed a snivy with a HP fire ditto?

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
I have a somewhat difficult request:
Would someone here please teach me how to battle respectably?
Before I get bashed with 'use google' or 'this isnt the place for this' (sorry if it's not; I couldn't find anywhere else to post it), I want to say that I do not and will not use smogon.
Reasons being that they outright ban legitimate moves, abilities, etc. that are made into the game thus closing many options, and rank half the pokemon in existance in their 'PU' tier, which I find sickening.... Now that that's out of the way, I also want to say that I HAVE Googled numerous guides on this, and I've read the newcomer guides on team building, and learned absolutely nothing about HOW to battle. I need a living person to show me the ropes.
I know how to breed and I can breed basically anything with 5-6Vs, nature, moves, etc. but I don't know what setups I should use, what pokemon I should have on a team, or what moves I should use and when.
I've been searching google for forums and reddits (which was met with utter rudeness btw) and haven't found a single person who'll help me. I've been on Showdown! and that didn't really help me either. The reason I ask for this help is that I have friends IRL who play pokemon, and I really want to be able to actually DO things with them. The issue is that they are ridiculously experienced whereas I've only fought 2 battles (lost them both btw), one of them being with one of my friends. I can't ask them to teach me, either. Why would they help train their enemy...?

Anyways, if anyone can help PLEASE contact me ASAP. Sorry for the giant wall of text; I tried to space it out and make it easier to read :/ And thanks for reading it to begin with.

Right, now, I am not a very good battler myself, but, I'm decentish. Now, your problem is you do not wish to follow Smogon, which is totally acceptable. But, the tier system that is made on Smogon is very, very helpful in making teams. For Example, if you use two Pokemon from OU, they will be more compatible than any two random Pokemon. It also helps you decide a set for a Pokemon. If you do not wish to follow tier system, you can simply add a Pokemon, maybe a Pokemon with Rocks or spikes, or Set up some weather moves or even stat boost Pokemon. Once a set is decided for that particular Pokemon, you can make a team around it. More than anything, keep battling and adjust your team according to your needs. Battle as much as you can. More that that, ask your IRL friends to help you maybe?

Ive seen some people asking for Ditto with certain HP. Why do they need them? I know why people need 6IV Ditto, but why does the ditto has to have certain HP? Isnt HP breeding kinda random since it depends on IVs which is calculated randomly?
If for example I want a HP Fire ditto, is the chance of me getting it 100%, if I breed a snivy with a HP fire ditto?

It has higher chance of passing HP Fire than normal ditto.

Ablazingrace

Right, now, I am not a very good battler myself, but, I'm decentish. Now, your problem is you do not wish to follow Smogon, which is totally acceptable. But, the tier system that is made on Smogon is very, very helpful in making teams. For Example, if you use two Pokemon from OU, they will be more compatible than any two random Pokemon. It also helps you decide a set for a Pokemon. If you do not wish to follow tier system, you can simply add a Pokemon, maybe a Pokemon with Rocks or spikes, or Set up some weather moves or even stat boost Pokemon. Once a set is decided for that particular Pokemon, you can make a team around it. More than anything, keep battling and adjust your team according to your needs. Battle as much as you can. More that that, ask your IRL friends to help you maybe?

Thanks for replying but I feel like you stopped reading after I said I didn't want to use smogon.

Last edited:

Ryohei

Shiny Hunter
So, its not 100%?
would it make any difference if I breed the HP Fire Ditto, with HP fire snivy compared with a random HP Snivy? Will I get even higher chance of passing HP Fire?

TiKi1990

Hello all! I will be participating in a competitive battling event at a local anime con as the Dragon Type Elite 4 (6v6). Last year I was the Dragon Type Gym Leader (3v3), and had done fairly well against my challengers. With the exception of the Skill-Linked Cloysters. I am hoping that some of you may have advice for me in regards to not being swept by the same fate this year. My team is as follows: Mega Charizard X, Dragonite, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Kingdra, and Goodra. However, I apologize that I will not be able to publicly list any more information about my team. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!! :)

Hello all! I will be participating in a competitive battling event at a local anime con as the Dragon Type Elite 4 (6v6). Last year I was the Dragon Type Gym Leader (3v3), and had done fairly well against my challengers. With the exception of the Skill-Linked Cloysters. I am hoping that some of you may have advice for me in regards to not being swept by the same fate this year. My team is as follows: Mega Charizard X, Dragonite, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Kingdra, and Goodra. However, I apologize that I will not be able to publicly list any more information about my team. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!! :)

You'll probably have to sack something, but as long as you can put enough damage on it the turn it shell smashes, you can revenge kill it with ESpeed on Dragonite, which at +2 will always outspeed a potential ice shard. Any decently strong attack (preferably special) will bring it down to sash.