• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Jan

First of all I hope this is the right section for that kind of question (I didn't find anything more specific), so...

I'll now have my first 6IV Pokémon, with the right nature, ever, for the first time in my life and want to train it till Lvl. 100 obviously.

Now to my question:

Is there anything I have to consider or take care of? For example, is there a difference if I train the Pokemon with the EXP Share, with trainer battles, with the PKMN League or through wild PKMN battles? Is that kind of training determining on how much Stats it will have by the end? I want to train it to the best Pokémon possible for its kind, since I'd like to compete in Online Battles. I don't really understand all the guides I find online and until this point I'm not even sure what IV's are (can we even see them?). I'm sorry, if that sounds stupid, but I'm more or less totally new to the whole IV thing, I'm glad I get natures. :p

So what would be the best way to train my Pokémon? And what do you do to maintain your PKMN's quality in training, so it doesn't lose anything through wrong training? I stopped training my main team until this point because I don't want them to lose any stats, because I might train them "false".

Thanks in advance :)

Smokin' weedle

First of all I hope this is the right section for that kind of question (I didn't find anything more specific), so...

I'll now have my first 6IV Pokémon, with the right nature, ever, for the first time in my life and want to train it till Lvl. 100 obviously.

Now to my question:

Is there anything I have to consider or take care of? For example, is there a difference if I train the Pokemon with the EXP Share, with trainer battles, with the PKMN League or through wild PKMN battles? Is that kind of training determining on how much Stats it will have by the end? I want to train it to the best Pokémon possible for its kind, since I'd like to compete in Online Battles. I don't really understand all the guides I find online and until this point I'm not even sure what IV's are (can we even see them?). I'm sorry, if that sounds stupid, but I'm more or less totally new to the whole IV thing, I'm glad I get natures. :p

So what would be the best way to train my Pokémon? And what do you do to maintain your PKMN's quality in training, so it doesn't lose anything through wrong training? I stopped training my main team until this point because I don't want them to lose any stats, because I might train them "false".

Thanks in advance :)
Iv's are a pokemons individual values. They are not visible, but will influence the stat total. A perfect iv stat will be higher than a low iv stat. For the training, I'd make sure that you have the ev's maxed out before training, as battling pokemon increases a certain stat with a set amount of ev's. These ev boosts are linked to a kind of pokemon, so you could chain that pokemon as a way of ev training as well.

Jan

For the training, I'd make sure that you have the ev's maxed out before training, as battling pokemon increases a certain stat with a set amount of ev's.

Is it enough to max these EV's with Vitamines out? Or are there other ways? Nonetheless thanks for your respond!

Smokin' weedle

Is it enough to max these EV's with Vitamines out? Or are there other ways? Nonetheless thanks for your respond!
Vitamins allow you to give a pokemon 100 of the maximum a stat can have (252). You have a total of 508 points, usually in a 252/252/4 spread. The easiest way to max them out is to go to the poke pelago, get the training island to level 3, and have them train one stat for 63 sessions (31.5 hours). Do this for two stats, and then one more for a third one, and should be maxed, so you won't get any other ev's you don't want.

Jan

Is there a way to do that in ORAS? I'm not in posession of Sun/Moon yet, where I think the poke pelago is located?

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
How do you reset EVs in Sun/Moon? I heard you could do that but I'm new to this stuff too.

Jan

Does it matter on which level my Mon is when using the SPT? I'll be sure to use it, thanks. :)

Creavend

Greninja's Moveset

Hi I am Creavend

So I’m trying to get into competitive play but I’m basically and amateur. Today I’m looking for some opinions and advice's.

It just so happens that I have a Greninja, he is Modest nature and Mischievous. I want to use him in competitive play but I’m kind of stuck deciding his move set. With his current stats, which I will share in a minute, I think he will do great in Singles… but I'm not sure which moves should I teach him for that purpose. When playing online I had some people using some pretty shady moves on me with Greninja, like using moves with high probability of flinch and not letting me move or using one of those berries that let you move first each time. So that got me thinking in what kind of strategies I can come up to use my Greninja. Although I think he would perform best in Singles, the main objective is to come up with a good Doubles strategy, so I can aim to compete in VGC. I do accept suggestions especifically for smogon rules, but I do intendo to go VGC.

So his stats at level 50

STAT IV EV

HP 145 26,27 0
ATTACK 104 31 4
DEFENSE 87 30,31 0
SP. ATTACK 170 31 252
SP. DEFENSE 88 24,25 0
SPEED 174 31 252

NATURE MODEST CHARACTERISTIC MISCHIEVOUS ABILITY PROTEAN

Right now I have not taught him any TM, and leaved him with the moves he learns just by leveling up. I kept Toxic spikes because I was considering using that move in singles, but with Singles being only 3 pokemon… seems kind of limited in use, so that’s why I’m coming here for suggestions.
Current moves: Toxic spikes, Smack down, Extrasensory, Water pulse.

As you can see my Greninja is set up to be a special attacker and I am looking for a way to best take advantage of his Sp attack and Speed. Would that be a hit hard strategy? Rain dance and Hydro pump? Or would it be best to be sneaky with a ghost/Dark type move? Also what is the best way to utilize that protean ability?

I have some ideas of my own but I want to hear some of the ideas or

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
Why does smogon suggest using Unnerve Aerodactyl when using a mega stone? Would it not be better to use Pressure for switch in purposes? Does unnerve still take effect during the 1st mega evolution round or something? Or is it just there in case of 'mon who usually have berries and you just don't mega evolve until you knocked them out?

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/aerodactyl/

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Hi I am Creavend

So I’m trying to get into competitive play but I’m basically and amateur. Today I’m looking for some opinions and advice's.

It just so happens that I have a Greninja, he is Modest nature and Mischievous. I want to use him in competitive play but I’m kind of stuck deciding his move set. With his current stats, which I will share in a minute, I think he will do great in Singles… but I'm not sure which moves should I teach him for that purpose. When playing online I had some people using some pretty shady moves on me with Greninja, like using moves with high probability of flinch and not letting me move or using one of those berries that let you move first each time. So that got me thinking in what kind of strategies I can come up to use my Greninja. Although I think he would perform best in Singles, the main objective is to come up with a good Doubles strategy, so I can aim to compete in VGC. I do accept suggestions especifically for smogon rules, but I do intendo to go VGC.

So his stats at level 50

STAT IV EV

HP 145 26,27 0
ATTACK 104 31 4
DEFENSE 87 30,31 0
SP. ATTACK 170 31 252
SP. DEFENSE 88 24,25 0
SPEED 174 31 252

NATURE MODEST CHARACTERISTIC MISCHIEVOUS ABILITY PROTEAN

Right now I have not taught him any TM, and leaved him with the moves he learns just by leveling up. I kept Toxic spikes because I was considering using that move in singles, but with Singles being only 3 pokemon… seems kind of limited in use, so that’s why I’m coming here for suggestions.
Current moves: Toxic spikes, Smack down, Extrasensory, Water pulse.

As you can see my Greninja is set up to be a special attacker and I am looking for a way to best take advantage of his Sp attack and Speed. Would that be a hit hard strategy? Rain dance and Hydro pump? Or would it be best to be sneaky with a ghost/Dark type move? Also what is the best way to utilize that protean ability?

I have some ideas of my own but I want to hear some of the ideas or
Hi and welcome to the competitive scene :) First of all, I wouldn't go with a modest nature, especially if you've invested 4 attack. Hasty or Naive would be the best, basically something to raise Speed and not lower attack. Speed is crucial on a pokemon that fast. My rule of thumb is always going with a +speed nature on a pokemon with base 100 speed or higher since it'll have a lot of competition it NEEDS to outrun. Sooo many people are choosing Adamant/Modest on pokemon that would rather outrun everything it possibly can.

Gunk Shot is a great physical move on it (ORAS move tutor). Don't use Rain Dance on Greninja itself since it needs all the type coverage it can get. Replace Water Pulse with either Hydro Pump or Surf, and Smack Down can stand to be replaced by, like, Ice Beam or something. The best way to utilize Protean would be offensively but it also works defensively. Always try to predict what move your opponent will use and attack accordingly. Personally I'd like to try Shadow Sneak or HP Ghost when expecting a fighting-type move, especially if Greninja just came out and is still Water/Dark. Might not be entirely useful since you need to OHKO as fast as possible anyway... I dunno, I'll let the experts take over from here. ;P

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Why does smogon suggest using Unnerve Aerodactyl when using a mega stone? Would it not be better to use Pressure for switch in purposes? Does unnerve still take effect during the 1st mega evolution round or something? Or is it just there in case of 'mon who usually have berries and you just don't mega evolve until you knocked them out?

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/aerodactyl/

Unnerve, while VERY situational can at the least, stop certain berry reliant mons from doing their thing should the situation demand it. So yes, if you expect your opponent to have a berry and would like to stop that berry from proccin, you stay unmega. Pressure, while absolutely more consistent in what it does, never really does come into play unless you really wanted to stall a few Fire Blasts or somethin. I say a resisted move because Aero is not surviving very many hits.