• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Kimi13

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Just a question i have a calm Pyukumuku with O iv speed is it viable under Distorsion? :S

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Just a question i have a calm Pyukumuku with O iv speed is it viable under Distorsion? :S

Do you mean Trick Room? If so, not very. I mean, you WILL be moving first, but a Trick Room team normally works best with offensive attackers. A bulky mon like Pyuku doesnt really mind moving last.

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
Any good bulky/tanky ice Pokemon? I'm in desperate need of some ice type coverage and was hoping to find a pokemon that could fill the role of heavy hitter and is willing to take some abuse. I'll be running it with a team comp such as follows: Contrary Serperior special sweeper, M Charizard Y, Mimikyu, Pyukumuku, and my Kartana are essentially the team I have so far.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Any good bulky/tanky ice Pokemon? I'm in desperate need of some ice type coverage and was hoping to find a pokemon that could fill the role of heavy hitter and is willing to take some abuse. I'll be running it with a team comp such as follows: Contrary Serperior special sweeper, M Charizard Y, Mimikyu, Pyukumuku, and my Kartana are essentially the team I have so far.
The best bulky Ice-types are Water-types that know Ice Beam because Ice is a horrible defensive typing.

Offensive Thick Fat Mamoswine is probably the best you can do that's actually an Ice-type, though do note that it's not super bulky.

Last edited:

Lor D. Chuckle

Veteran Nerd
The best bulky Ice-types are Water-types that know Ice Beam because Ice is a horrible defensive typing.

Offensive Thick Fat Mamoswine is probably the best you can do that's actually an Ice-type, though do note that it's not super bulky.

That sucks, I'm gonna avoid the Mamoswine since I run into him on the battle spot all the time and take him out easy, not the best impression. but i'll stay on the lookout, thanks tho.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
does the battle spot even allow gen6 pokemon now or are they still working out the issues there? i got my gen6 spare battle team in sun now and it doesnt allow the team to go thru. i got 5 gen 6+ primarina on the team.

is it also possible my older 3ds might cause some sort of delay in connecting with link battles as compared to newer/faster DS systems? i dont have any issues doing link trades.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

does the battle spot even allow gen6 pokemon now or are they still working out the issues there? i got my gen6 spare battle team in sun now and it doesnt allow the team to go thru. i got 5 gen 6+ primarina on the team.

is it also possible my older 3ds might cause some sort of delay in connecting with link battles as compared to newer/faster DS systems? i dont have any issues doing link trades.

It depends what format. Championship (VGC) battles must use Pokemon from SM, but single and doubles rating battles now allow Pokémon caught/bred in gen 6. Free battles I would imagine you can use Pokémon from even earlier games, but haven't tried myself so it may just be gen 6 and up too.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
It depends what format. Championship (VGC) battles must use Pokemon from SM, but single and doubles rating battles now allow Pokémon caught/bred in gen 6. Free battles I would imagine you can use Pokémon from even earlier games, but haven't tried myself so it may just be gen 6 and up too.

thank you for the reply. my team isnt in any format able to do VGC to their lower tiers. i guess they are still working out the bugs in the battle spot to accommodate gen6 pkmn.

EDIT: they finally were accepted online :) and i had no troubles with them.

Last edited:

REMARCABLE

That sucks, I'm gonna avoid the Mamoswine since I run into him on the battle spot all the time and take him out easy, not the best impression. but i'll stay on the lookout, thanks tho.

Bulky Ice types, you could go for Articuno, Walrein or Lapras for overall bulk
Avalugg for incredible physical bulk

Pokemon X

Gallade Setup

I need Help- Can Gallade be used as a "glass cannon" (high attacks and speed, low defenses and hp) and what would be a good moveset for such a setup?
Please note that this is the name i was told for this setup. If you havethe name used by serious competitive battlers, please tell me without flaming me.

BlazingRagnarok

I need Help- Can Gallade be used as a "glass cannon" (high attacks and speed, low defenses and hp) and what would be a good moveset for such a setup?
Please note that this is the name i was told for this setup. If you havethe name used by serious competitive battlers, please tell me without flaming me.

With a base 80 speed, Gallade is too slow to do that effectively. Your only real options are a choice scarf and its currently unavailable mega evolution. Unfortunately, Gallade's movepool is rather poorly suited for choice sets. Its best use is as a physical attacker that uses its high special defense to go up against special attackers with low physical defense.
You can look at Gallade's gen 6 POTW article here: http://www.serebii.net/potw-xy/475.shtml
Some of its moves will have to be taught in previous games, and the mega section is best ignored for now.

GalacticVenom1

Hotheaded Rival
I love Goodra. So much, that I want one on every team. Natures, items, moves, abilities? Physical/Special sweeper?

EKZ1505

I love Goodra. So much, that I want one on every team. Natures, items, moves, abilities? Physical/Special sweeper?

Depends on the format, but it isn't much of a "sweeper." It can do big damage (particularly on the special side) but definitely performs very well soaking up special attacks with its huge special defense.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Now that Gengar no longer has access to Levitate, I'm wondering how an Eviolite Haunter would fare in battle. Thoughts? Suggestions on an EV setup?

I'm thinking definitely 252 SpA but other than that I'm really not sure.

Edit: I did take a look at its PotW for 6th Gen. Max EVs on SpA and Speed makes some sense, but that was last gen. Do you guys think it still works this go around?

Also using Life Orb would allow me to attach Eviolite to Type:Null or Chansey, but I might want to have another Pokemon hold Life Orb to use it better.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

Now that Gengar no longer has access to Levitate, I'm wondering how an Eviolite Haunter would fare in battle. Thoughts? Suggestions on an EV setup?

I'm thinking definitely 252 SpA but other than that I'm really not sure.

Edit: I did take a look at its PotW for 6th Gen. Max EVs on SpA and Speed makes some sense, but that was last gen. Do you guys think it still works this go around?

Also using Life Orb would allow me to attach Eviolite to Type:Null or Chansey, but I might want to have another Pokemon hold Life Orb to use it better.

Unless you're in a lower smogon tier (not sure if they're even formed yet for gen 7) or playing for fun, Gengar is still vastly superior, but yes, max SpA/Speed (no point in investing in bulk since it can't take a hit anyway) with Life Orb is the way to go, but Focus Sash is ok too.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i just came up against a battle with an opposing life orb omastar team lead. i lead with a HA Furret with trick and sorta gave omastar a choice band :). they knocked off the the tricked life orb and i went for brick break on the omastar. yes, the furret is a weak gimmick but i love its design. they withdrew the omastar and let trevenant take a brick break. i never got to finish the battle as my arcanine scared the trevenent (after furret u-turn) into a Kanto sandslash which got dispatched in 2 flare blitz moves. the connection was cut out after that, likely a DC on their part???

my question pertains to the usual omastar life orb sets. do they usually run a shell smash on the set? i figured that shell smash was a likely option as they didnt want to keep a knock off/choice banded omastar in play. did i just hinder that omastar for the most part by locking it down to one move only?

Hi Guys! I have problems against teams that use Lilligant Torkoal as leaders, my Team is solid, I think, but when I encounter with an of these teams I have problems...

So, my question is, a good counter to Lilligant-Torkoal Team?

EKZ1505

Hi Guys! I have problems against teams that use Lilligant Torkoal as leaders, my Team is solid, I think, but when I encounter with an of these teams I have problems...

So, my question is, a good counter to Lilligant-Torkoal Team?

The simplest solution is Tapu Koko (the terrain eliminates Sleep Powder. Fini is ok too but you don't want to take a potential Bloom Doom) with your own weather (sand from Gigalith or rain from Politoed or Pelliper) that you can switch in safely. Safety Goggles Arcanine is a cool option too. I've heard of Iron Ball Gigalith being led as well since your weather will stay up against a Torkoal lead. There's really lots of ways or niche things you can do if you play it right!

Hullo folks,
Wanted to ask about Furret's competitive viability, seeing as there's no such info (that I know of) on it for Gen VII. EverythingnI could find on it was outdated or meant for Gen VI. With it having access to coil now, I sort of suspect it being a fun potential nuisance with Frisk/Covet/Fling. Any thoughts?

KillerDraco

Hullo folks,
Wanted to ask about Furret's competitive viability, seeing as there's no such info (that I know of) on it for Gen VII. EverythingnI could find on it was outdated or meant for Gen VI. With it having access to coil now, I sort of suspect it being a fun potential nuisance with Frisk/Covet/Fling. Any thoughts?

That's because it still has no competitive viability. The addition of coil is relatively minor given that it's still got lackluster typing, abilities, and stats. Even with the boost it doesn't hit particularly hard nor is it particularly bulky, and without a boost it's just plain bad.