• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

EKZ1505

If I EV my Timid Scarf Magneton just enough to outrun base 130s, how many EVs does that leave for another stat? I'm investing 252 def to survive a Jolly Kartana Sacred Sword before it boosts (in case it's sashed or scarfed), and I want to put the rest into sp attack if 252 speed isn't needed too badly.

Magneton is too slow to outspeed base 130 speed pokemon even with full investment and scarf

The next best thing you can outspeed is weavile with 228 evs

This is correct, but only at lvl 100.

Scherzando, if you're playing VGC or on cartridge at lvl 50, you can just barely outspeed base 130s with max speed investment (base 130s reach 200, and your Magneton reaches 134, so 134 x 1.5 is 201), but then you will only have 4 EVs to invest in special attack.

In the future, you can look at either Serebii's individual Pokedex pages to see a Pokemon's max speed at lvl 50 or lvl 100, or use a damage calculator (like this one: http://jake-white.github.io/VGC-Damage-Calculator/ ) to see your speed stat.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
This is correct, but only at lvl 100.

Scherzando, if you're playing VGC or on cartridge at lvl 50, you can just barely outspeed base 130s with max speed investment (base 130s reach 200, and your Magneton reaches 134, so 134 x 1.5 is 201), but then you will only have 4 EVs to invest in special attack.

In the future, you can look at either Serebii's individual Pokedex pages to see a Pokemon's max speed at lvl 50 or lvl 100, or use a damage calculator (like this one: http://jake-white.github.io/VGC-Damage-Calculator/ ) to see your speed stat.

Ohhh okay, that was my next worry. I'm playing at level 50, and I already maxed out def and speed with 4 in special attack anyway and I was gonna adjust later if needed. Thanks a bunch to both of you for the responses and the calculator link!

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
You can also use Pokemon Showdown's own team builder to make these kinds of calcs while you're testing teams. For a situation like this, simply find the speed of a Jolly Tapu Koko with 252 evs, divide it by three and multiply it by two, then round to the next whole number. Then enter the pokemon you're trying to speed up, and slide the evs until you get the number you just rounded.

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
I'm trying to find a bulky Pokémon to use to help me take out fire types, as they drive me insane competitive-wise. My only counter now is Flash Fire Chandelure, but it's not good enough. I'm thinking of Seismitoad, but I'm not sure if it can hold it's own in the current OU metagame.
Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Chandelure (M) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rivalry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Any ideas?

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I've got a question regarding team building.

So I've never been that much a big competive player but I want to at least try for fun once and might even participate in a Battle Season coming up. My plan going in is that I want to use my favorites though have them all fit a certain role and don't want to swoop down to the level of using Legendaries because I don't believe in using those at this level. As far as my 'favorites' go, I've got 3 Level 100s in Mawile, Charizard, and Lucario while I've got a pretty decent Bisharp going and just need to level up and train my Rock Head Aggron a bit more. I know I don't want to use similar roles as possible but I do know I don't want either a mono-steel team or share a common weakness. I believe in the versatility in a Normal type but I was just wondering what changes could I make based on this projected list of Pokèmon I have an idea for my team based on what I've trained and what I've loved from using them. Thanks in advance for the tips and the help!

- Bisharp
- Mawile
- Gogoat
- Mimikyu
- Lucario
- Malamar

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is there any workable EV set for a calm naturesolgaleo? i got the first solgaleo i was able to get but i never really did much with it. yes, an adamant/jolly nature one is better but an SPA user is a surprise tactic i like using. i dont really battle with legendary pkmn but i do use what i do get to the best i can. i put flamethrower, Tbolt, flash cannon and psyshock on it though focus blast is an option for last move. any suggestion on EV distribution for this set?

Road

Shiny Master
Hello all! Have sort of a survey question here.
I will be seeing the Pokemon movie here in Japan and will be downloading Marshadow at the theater. As usual I'm planning to SR for a good nature and generally good IV spread. Assuming the distribution is the same they used for the Greninja at the last movie, it should be region free so I will be getting two.

Which nature(s) should I aim for? (If you'd also like to add target stats for the three 31s that would be cool too.)

Smogon has no official listings since he is still unreleased, and the discussion threads listed several sets without preference for any so I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
I don't need a lot of reasoning or explanation, just a straight answer. Obviously I will be trading these around and am curious what people want competitively.

Thank ye much! c:

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Hello all! Have sort of a survey question here.
I will be seeing the Pokemon movie here in Japan and will be downloading Marshadow at the theater. As usual I'm planning to SR for a good nature and generally good IV spread. Assuming the distribution is the same they used for the Greninja at the last movie, it should be region free so I will be getting two.

Which nature(s) should I aim for? (If you'd also like to add target stats for the three 31s that would be cool too.)

Smogon has no official listings since he is still unreleased, and the discussion threads listed several sets without preference for any so I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
I don't need a lot of reasoning or explanation, just a straight answer. Obviously I will be trading these around and am curious what people want competitively.

Thank ye much! c:

A competitive Marshadow would need Jolly, most definitely! Target stats for IVs: definitely speed and attack... and either HP, Def, or SpDef for the third. I'd hyper train it so I wouldn't be too picky about IVs.

Hey, I have a quick question. I have two level 100 Charizard's and ,to be honest, they are my first IV/EV projects. Now I wanted to know which one was stronger, because I figured that the fastest one would win because their Sp. Attack & their Sp. Defense is the exact same! Their HP isn't but I didn't think that would be more important.

I've got their stats right here:

Charizard 1:
HP 269
Attack 203
Defense 169
Sp. Atk 317
Sp. Def 206
Speed 328

Charizard 2:
HP 311
Attack 207
Defense 191
Sp Atk 317
Sp Def 206
Speed 266

I had them use Blast burn on each other. To my surprise, the second one won by 31 HP. But I was even more surprised when I saw that the second one did more damage! How can this happen? They have the same Special stats so this shouldn't happen right?

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
Is this a good strategy?

I know the move Rage and the ability Rattled is generally looked as inferior, but I had an idea to put them together. The only Pokémon that does is Granbull, and the idea is to have a Toxapex (since it's slower) use Pin Missile while Granbull uses Rage. If everything goes right, I have Granbull at +2-5 in Speed and Attack. Anyone think this is viable?

Road

Shiny Master
I know the move Rage and the ability Rattled is generally looked as inferior, but I had an idea to put them together. The only Pokémon that does is Granbull, and the idea is to have a Toxapex (since it's slower) use Pin Missile while Granbull uses Rage. If everything goes right, I have Granbull at +2-5 in Speed and Attack. Anyone think this is viable?
tl;dr Cool idea, but probably not viable.

The biggest issue I see is Granbull actually living to use those boosts. Toxapex is a wall by design so the opponent is gonna target the easier one which is Granbull. Granbull's HP and Def are viable if you invest, but it's SpDef is not good. Based on some calculations I did (thanks MetalSonic for that calc ;3), assuming it's fully invested in HP/Def, it can probably take anywhere from 2-4 super effective physical moves if the opponent isn't boosted. Super effective special moves are usually gonna kill it in 2 turns, if not immediately, even when unboosted (and assuming you have no investment in SpDef because why would you).
Also, Rage locks you into the move for a couple turns doesn't it? So if you get any special attacker with a base stat of over 100 I think it was (of which there are many), it'll be knocked out before it's even out of Rage. Powerful physical attackers are still an issue too, as things like Excadrill or Bisharp could at least 2HKO you with Iron Head.

You're also relying on the random factor of Granbull only getting the +2 in each, which with the uninvested stats you have to have to live might not even be worth it. It'll hit hard, sure, but probably still isn't going to outspeed anything (base 45, yeesh).

I'm not really that good at competitive play (I know the strats and stuff but don't actually battle lol), and I really only checked OU threats, so maybe others can speak better on this, but I think that's the biggest issue: you're not gonna have time to use Granbull or even set up properly before it's KOed.

Again tho, it's an interesting idea and if all goes right you can maybe pull it off. You might not get a sweep but you can certainly make some people mad haha.

Last edited:

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I know that Rage doesn't lock you in, but it only grants Attack boosts when you are using that move. I had also planned on giving Granbull an Assault Vest to increase its poor Special Defense. Your concern is noted but I'm going to test it at the Battle Tree to see if it works as planned. Feel free to copy the idea yourself if you like it. Thanks.

Road

Shiny Master
I know that Rage doesn't lock you in, but it only grants Attack boosts when you are using that move. I had also planned on giving Granbull an Assault Vest to increase its poor Special Defense. Your concern is noted but I'm going to test it at the Battle Tree to see if it works as planned. Feel free to copy the idea yourself if you like it. Thanks.
OHH I think I was thinking of Bide, that makes more sense. Well, report back with how it works, might be interesting to know. (I do not battle so I will not be using it lol, but thanks for the permission I guess.)

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
So is scarfed Kyogre completely a thing of the past, or does it still have even just a little bit of life left?

KillerDraco

So is scarfed Kyogre completely a thing of the past, or does it still have even just a little bit of life left?

Well... it's just that standard Kyogre in general isn't very viable. In a metagame where Primal Groudon is on 65% of teams and can safely switch into Water and Electric type attacks, Kyogre can be something of a liability if it's locked into either of those types.

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
Does Wormadam have any use? I got into an argument about it with my brother and all he said was "Wormadam sucks!". I had planned on using it to predict Fire-type moves (with its Trash variant and Anticipation) and he said it was a bad strategy. Is he right or am I on to something?

Wormadam is just plain bad.
It has nonexistant offenses, it is slow, and it is outclassed.
Scizor is better, and predicting Fire moves is not a niche, seeing how they usually come off fire types.

20LigerZero16

"..........................."
When and where do you go to get the 50 battle points from the No Holds Barred competition as it ended yesterday.

Just wanted to know as there hasn't been any new information on how to get the BP.

EKZ1505

When and where do you go to get the 50 battle points from the No Holds Barred competition as it ended yesterday.

Just wanted to know as there hasn't been any new information on how to get the BP.

They will give you a code in your GL account in a couple weeks. The serebii home page and twitter typically make a post when they do as well