• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread v5.0 - READ FIRST POST

Reno

so adorable...
Ask a question about competitive Pokemon here; be it what Pokemon would fit well on the last slot of my team, what is the best way to counter Lucario, what is the most effective EV spread for my Wacan Berry Gyarados, etc. If you have an actual set for a Pokemon that you want feedback on, use the Comptitive Singles Rate Thread. Don't flame/insult someone if you think it is a silly question. Have fun and ask away!

Last edited by a moderator:

chibiipompom

I recently got an Adamant Cubone with high Defense IVs, is this any good/what moveset would I want for it?

I'm not sure how Marowak does in the lower tiers, but I made a pretty neat little lead set for OU. You'll need Thick Club of course, but Stone Edge/EQ/Stealth Rock/Protect worked pretty well. Stone Edge 2HKOs anything that'll taunt you except skarm. Protect stops Metagross from booming on you since EQ won't OHKO Gross. Also stops Azelf from booming on you. I think I ran enough attack EVs to OHKO shuca berry tran through the berry, although idr how many EVs and I doubt you have a max atk IV. But anyway, run like 252 HP/176 Def/80 atk for the EVs as I think thats similar to what I had. So:

Marowak @ Thick Club
Adamant
252 HP/176 Atk/80 Def

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Protect
Stealth Rock

It's a gimmick but it can work and was kinda effective on my PO troll team.

Last edited:
Adamant is a good nature for Cubone, you should use a Thick Club on Marowak when it evolves as this doubles its attack when EV trained to around 568 attack without a boost. Earthquake, Stone Edge, Fire Punch, and Double-Edge (provided you have Rock Head as an ability) are the best attack moves it has, but you can also run Swords Dance to make it even more powerful and it can replace Double-Edge nicely if you lack Rock Head.

chibiipompom

That lead idea is pretty cool, I might incorporate it into a trick room team.

Would I be able to switch either EQ or SE for Double Edge?

Stone Edge seems more replaceable as EQ is your only STAB. Stone Edge does provide better coverage with Earthquake though.

chibiipompom

Alright, thanks.

Skwog

PurpleHaze
So I'm trying to find a reliable sixth member of my Poison Monotype team.
All of my Pokes fit together nicely, but there is one stubborn member whom I am unsure what to do with. The Pokemon in question is Drapion.

I am currently using him as a boosting sweeper with the following set:

Drapion@Lum Berry
Sniper
Jolly
6 Hp / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
-Swords Dance
-Night Slash
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

He does a decent job, but not enough to impress me. Due to Drapion's natural defensive bulk, he is able to survive crucial moves and go for a kill. The only problem is that he just does not have the power, even after a Swords Dance, to get the kills that I need. The only reason that I use Drapion is for the Psychic resist from the likes of Alakazam, Azelf, Jirachi, and other users.

Any suggestions for an alternative to this set? Or perhaps a different physically attacking Poison type that would fare well in the OU?

Larry

I want to use this Umbreon set:
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful
~ Wish
~ Payback
~ Taunt / Protect
~ Toxic / Yawn

EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe

What IVs should I try to breed for?

If you're going to use Payback as your only attack, me personally I'd suggest making your Umbreon as slow as possible:
Brave or Sassy
31/31/31/x/31/0
252 HP / ??? Atk / ??? SDef (dividing the remaining EVs between Atk and SDef as you see fit)

I'd put more (or all 252) in SDef if you go with Sassy in order to get the biggest possible EV boost (even more than if it was Brave 252 Atk).

Last edited:

Larry

I quit. No way I'm breeding for that.
It took me 7 boxes full (210 Eevees) just to get one careful natured one.
I'm going to the trade forum.

^
You can use an Everstone to give a 50% chance to pass on the nature of a parent pokemon which makes it easier to get natures. Also using Power items in HGSS gives a higher chance to get 31s so you can use those items to breed. I'd advise you to look at a breeding guide to help you get better IVs and natures more easily on your own. If you can find someone willing to trade though that is fine. Also try learning RNG abuse some time, makes IVs very easy to obtain.

Yeah, trust me, it's not "hard" to get those IVs, you just gotta learn how to do it. If you seriously want flawless IV pokes for competitive purposes, I'd suggest going to smogon, reading THIS GUIDE and learning to RNG at least for IVs (which is fairly simple).

It's not "hard", it just takes practice and dedication.

Good luck! :)

[edit]
For example, like in the case of that Careful Natured one, you could have just started your game, caught a high level poke, put it's info into the RNG reporter, and it would have told you to do X amount of coinflips and y amount of happiness checker double taps, and the first egg would have popped out Careful Natured. Work smarter. Not harder.

Last edited:

Larry

That guide made no sense at all.
I really don't think I need any good Sp.A IVs or even Atk.

And I'd do the everstone method but I hatched a male careful eevee which took 210 Eevees. There's no way I would hatch a female one.

I remember hatching 5+ boxes of pokemon for a female of the proper nature. It sucks. :/ But if you turn on your game, catch a high level poke, put its info in the RNG Reporter, and tell the Reporter what you want, it will tell you simple steps to take that will FORCE the very first egg to come out whatever way you want, careful natured female, shiny adamant male, whatever you want.

Larry

I remember hatching 5+ boxes of pokemon for a female of the proper nature. It sucks. :/ But if you turn on your game, catch a high level poke, put its info in the RNG Reporter, and tell the Reporter what you want, it will tell you simple steps to take that will FORCE the very first egg to come out whatever way you want, careful natured female, shiny adamant male, whatever you want.

I can't download stuff on my computer though.

Piplupman112

On my pokemon platinum i have 5 gym badges and i need a 6th pokemon to finish my party WHAT ONE SHOULD I PICK!!!!