• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
maddiejoan said:
It's never been produced by PUSA --PUSA owns the rights to it, but it is produced right now at a rinky dink studio. The reason that PUSA isn't using 4Kids is about a ridiculously low sum of money that PUSA refused to budge on. Instead they are using cheap studios, cheap voice talent, cheap engineers, cheap everything.

What could happen is that PUSA will decide to let 4Kids produce it again, as they have done for 8 years.

Seriously folks --IT CAN HAPPEN! Don't let PUSA sell you a cheap copy of Pokemon.
So it is a fandub turned official, yikes. I will try my best to save my favorate show, trouble is I have no idea how to explain my point half the time, I think that I just emailed Cartoon Network a Messege that sounds like I was talking to PUSA.

Anyway I agree, maybe I should get fans in my area to sign something saying we want to keep Pokemon as it has been for 8 years and send it to PUSA (It'd take ages to get there though what with me being in England and all)

On to the question;

Do you ever find yourself using your Meowth voice when you arn't at work?

maddiejoan said:
2) Team Rocket are the good guys. The Twerps are the villains. Duh.
Haha, many people here will love you for that. :p

Alright, I have a few questions about your favorite characters. Who's your favorite Pokemon character that you voiced? Which is your favorite of the ones you didn't voice? Who's your favorite character from other anime?

And do you know what shipping is? If so, do you support any (doesn't have to be from Pokemon)?

Ampris

Slip slidin'
maddiejoan said:
2) Team Rocket are the good guys. The Twerps are the villains. Duh.
Can I put that in my sig?:p

And my e-mail isn't working, could someone possibly send a message I wrote to the CN for me?
PM me and I'll send it to you.

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
First of all, thank you Miss Blaustein for coming by and chatting with us. I've been watching Pokemon since 1998. I'm college now and I'm still watching Pokemon. One of the reasons why I've stuck to the show is listening to you bring life into this truly unique character. Here's my question for you:

In the eight years that Pokemon has been around in the US, we have heard Meowth sing about five times- the "Double Trouble" song, the Christmas album, the "Go West, Young Meowth" episode, the "Gotta Dance" short, and "Meowth's Party" in "Pokemon Channel". How are you able to maintain Meowth's singing voice for however long it's needed? Personally, I can only sing a few notes before my voice goes.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
Nathan Madien said:
First of all, thank you Miss Blaustein for coming by and chatting with us. I've been watching Pokemon since 1998. I'm college now and I'm still watching Pokemon. One of the reasons why I've stuck to the show is listening to you bring life into this truly unique character. Here's my question for you:

In the eight years that Pokemon has been around in the US, we have heard Meowth sing about five times- the "Double Trouble" song, the Christmas album, the "Go West, Young Meowth" episode, the "Gotta Dance" short, and "Meowth's Party" in "Pokemon Channel". How are you able to maintain Meowth's singing voice for however long it's needed? Personally, I can only sing a few notes before my voice goes.

Oh my! Do you have a copy of "Meowth's Party" by any chance? I don't have one and would love an mp3 of it.

Chris

Old Coot
Maddie, if I may ask, why do you feel PUSA is inferior to 4Kids' work?

I ask because over the years, 4Kids has tried to provide a professional look while..somewhat stumbling over themselves. There have been a number of ridiculous edits placed into the show, namely digitally painting over ethnic foods and signs that are in English, Japanese or even in a fictionally made language. The original music is generally omitted for music provided by a synthesizer though it's never an attempt to give the same feeling as the original, and we end up losing some music that is game music remade for the anime.

4Kids has also had trouble remembering a few things when it came to the Pokemon dub. We've had errors that fall into the basics that even children would do a double take. About a year ago, they made a claim during a Trainer's Choice that Arbok evolved into Seviper, which is does not. This caused a huge commotion and provided enough headaches from those who didn't know all too well wondering how to get Arbok to evolve.

I can understand you're upset about all of this, though my understanding is that the new voices also wish to improve. Wouldn't it be better to try to get the old cast working with the new cast? I mean, they just were recently hired and it'd be a shame to see anyone out of work. I regretfully have to bring up that it was also 4Kids who put the Sega voice actors for the Sonic the Hedgehog video game and anime series out of work because Sega felt they'd be a better choice and didn't even tell the Sega cast until after they hired the crew.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
~Ampris~ said:
Can I put that in my sig?:p

And my e-mail isn't working, could someone possibly send a message I wrote to the CN for me?
PM me and I'll send it to you.

I'd be honored if ya did!

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
Edward Elric said:
Maddie, if I may ask, why do you feel PUSA is inferior to 4Kids' work?

I ask because over the years, 4Kids has tried to provide a professional look while..somewhat stumbling over themselves. There have been a number of ridiculous edits placed into the show, namely digitally painting over ethnic foods and signs that are in English, Japanese or even in a fictionally made language. The original music is generally omitted for music provided by a synthesizer though it's never an attempt to give the same feeling as the original, and we end up losing some music that is game music remade for the anime.

PUSA is not actually doing the production work. That's why.
Instead what is happening is PUSA is using TAJ Productions to do it.

You seem to think that you will get something more authentic out of the new production, I'm telling you now that it won't be.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
MondoTR said:
Haha, many people here will love you for that. :p

Alright, I have a few questions about your favorite characters. Who's your favorite Pokemon character that you voiced? Which is your favorite of the ones you didn't voice? Who's your favorite character from other anime?

And do you know what shipping is? If so, do you support any (doesn't have to be from Pokemon)?

I'm a diehard shipper.

Medea

Excalibur
Just out of curiosity Maddie, what shippings do you support?

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
maddiejoan said:
Oh my! Do you have a copy of "Meowth's Party" by any chance? I don't have one and would love an mp3 of it.

I'm afraid I don't. The only way I know how to listen to "Meowth's Party" is by playing Pokemon Channel for the Nintendo Gamecube. In the game, for those who haven't played it, there is this Pichu short in the game that's broken down into several sections. Each couple of days, you get to watch a new portion of the short. In the last portion, you get this 3D scene where Meowth is on stage singing this song. That's how I came across it in the first place, Miss Blaustein.

Chris

Old Coot
maddiejoan said:
You seem to think that you will get something more authentic out of the new production, I'm telling you now that it won't be.
Well, to be perfectly honest, they did use original background music from the Japanese series. That's an automatic plus considering 4Kids only opts for this in the movies.

Personally, I'm doing a wait and see method. I've seen anime that have changed over time with new voice casts. They started off as imitations and went on to do their own voices for the characters. I'd actually like to see how an English dub is handled without 4Kids' stranglehold around it. :\ Not to mention, it's only been one special and we don't know what to expect from the future. Afterall, 4Kids went from VERY carefully trying to make the series as close to the original as possible in English and then later took up too much creative liberty and decided to simply turn it into an American cartoon since Al Kahn seems to believe kids won't know it's from Japan once they're done with it.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I'm sorry but we were finally getting settled down and now we're back to a broil. I was hoping this would pass over but alas, my hopes were for nought. *sighs*

What to ask?
What's your favorite brand of car? [/random]

Alfonso

Derpgull
Maddie, if you don't mind me asking, how many voices have you actually done in Pokemon? I recall you did Bill, AJ and Damien from the first season, but are there any others that I've missed? (Apart from the lovable Meowth, that is. XD)

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
I have a few.

1) Do you have a favorite Pokemon Game? (From any generation.)

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
Jonouchi said:
I have a few.

1) Do you have a favorite Pokemon Game? (From any generation.)
That's only one question, not a few. :p

Gaiash, no mini-modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.