• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiAngemon

Storm Trainer
Well, you're not the first 4Kids Voice I met online. That title belongs to Mike Pollock, the only GOOD voice on Sonic X, and the current voice of Dr. Eggman! But enough about Mike. I've got some questions, myself.

1. Now, I understand you're not just the voice of Meowth, but also the voice of Dr. Kureha (of One Piece), and Dr. K (Cubix), as well as Wally Tusket of Ultimate Muscle. Which of these, other than Meowth, would you consider is as good of a character you've enjoyed being the voice of?

2. Should the fans of Meowth want him as a Playable Character in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii, and Nintendo decides to have Meowth in the game, would you take up the opportunity to be the voice of Meowth for that game?

Sahaqiel

Angel of the Skies
My friend and I have questions.

I know you are being bombarded with questions, but we have four questions. (Seeing as we're two people)
My friend says, "I could beat you in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe anytime as long as I go first."
How do you feel about this?
Also, "I can beat you in rock,paper,scissors, how does that make you feel towards bacon?"
From Nodadude

My questions are:
Have you played a musical instrument in a band of some sorts during your school years?

What are your favorite video games? (If you have any.)
Thank you very much,
Sahaqiel

P

PikachuAdvanced

Shift said:
I have a feeling an anime Meowth would have Scratch/Slash, Fury Swipes, Swagger, and Sing from XD.

We know it has Fury Swipes, and Scratch....but...other then that...
I dont think Meowth has used any other attacks, and I also dont think its at a very high level.... ><;; Poor Meowth...

Shift

I'll learn you good!
PikachuAdvanced said:
We know it has Fury Swipes, and Scratch....but...other then that...
I dont think Meowth has used any other attacks, and I also dont think its at a very high level.... ><;; Poor Meowth...
Well, I figured that Meowth swaggers around sometimes in a smug way, and he has definately sung more than once.

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
Hello Maddie! It's a honor to get to talk to one of the people who do the voices on one of my favorite shows. I've always thought you were really great as Meowth.

I've been watching the series ever since I've was twelve. When I saw it. I was in sixth grade. The first episode I saw was the episode where Ash and the gang were stuck on the island of giant Pokemon. It was there that I've first saw and heard the characters. Now, I'm almost getting ready to gradurate from high school, and I'm till enjoying watching this great series.

I've had many favorite moments thoughout the series.Of course, being a fan of Misty, I've always thought that Racheal Lillis did a really great job as her, as well as Jessie and Jigglypuff.

Now I've always thought that Team Rocket was a great team. Jessie, James and Meowth always were entertaining. Rather it's from forming their plans to capture Pikachu, to saying their motto, and to being funny. You, Racheal, and Eric have always did great voicing them

Well, I've got a couple of questions to ask. I think these ones haven't been awswered yet.

1. What is one of your favorite Team Rocket mottos?
2.What are some of your favorite Pokemon?

Well, one of my favorite Team Rocket mottos is the one from Brave The Wave.

Jessie: Prepare for trouble, you want fries with that?
James: Doulbe the delish, with half the fat!
Jessie: To protect the world from unhealthy food.
James:To give great service and never be rude.
Jessie:To denouce the evils of high carbohydrates.
James:To extend to the Earth and it's primates.
Jessie!
James!
Jessie:Team Rocket,gives great service at the speed of light!
James:pay your bill and leave your tip or prepare to fight!
Meowth:Meowth, thats right!
Wobbuffet:Wobbuffet!

This one was a really great one. The scene was a entertaining one.

Well, I think that's good for now. Thanks for joining this really great forum!

FullMasta

The New AG...
Just a small question

Maddie Blaustein, You have been very faithful in the roles you play on the 4Kids' series. And I very much admire your work on them. Any plans for the future? Do you have any plans on extending your talents to another company like FUNimation or Geneon? Especially with the vast anime that they have been producing lately. Where do you see yourself in the near future? Would you stop being a VA? or extend your work?

icer

Thanks so much for answering questions. My questions are:
-Before you worked on the show, or as Meowth, how much background information on Pokemon in general were you given, and
-How much of Meowth's character was given you you by the dubbers and how much was your own interpretation?
Thanks!

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
Jo-Jo said:
Hi, Maddie! :)

This question's a bit evil, but I was curious: if Jessie and James were to ever split up and go their separate ways, who do you think Meowth would stay with?

And for a more light-hearted one: which Team Rocket episode do you consider the funniest?

(Sorry if these have already been asked, I think I skipped a couple of pages by accident.)

1) Meowth would go with James. No question in my mind.

2) Meowth Rules!

Hero of Legend

Advanced Missingno.
Hi Maddie, I was wondering, if Meowth ever evolved into a Persian, would you have voiced him? Also, would you want Meowth to evolve? Why, why not?

Phantom_Bugsy

So hot he's on fire.
Maddie-sama! :D Omg, you're like...my hero. X3

But anyway.

What's your favorite....non-important-to-the-series character you've voiced? Like...Rainer/Bill/et cetera and why?

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
Psychic said:
1) Do you do any warm-ups for your voice before recording, and do you try to take care of your voice in certain ways (like not using it too much, only drinking certain liquids and so on)?

2) Is it hard to take on so many different characters without confusing their personalities? I mean, if you're going to be the voice of a character from a whole other show, is it hard to make sure the chaarcter doesn't seem to have roots from Meowth and be similar to the talking kitty?

1) Tea with honey and lemon and I sing random songs in the voice of the character I'm about to do. Meowth's was "Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha.

2) Nope. I've when I did Kirby I even had to have conversations with myself quite often. I can switch voices in a solit second.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
SOS! Its Not Healthy.. said:
Hi Maddie Blaustein,
It really nice to meet you and this one of the reasons I signed up because of you. I have two questions, if u get a chance.

I heard that you did a lot of the filler charatcers in season 1. I would never guessed that you did either Lt. Surge or Bruno. How in earth you get your voice so low like that? Thats must of been lots of straining or something.

My 2nd one is lets say you guys won the role back for Season 9, (maybe or not) and Pokemon USA negoatiated with you guys. They decided to do it with you and the others but with a less pay then when you worked for 4 Kids. Would you still took the role as Meowth if they paid less then what your earning now? I'm just curious. If you get a chance to answer, thank you.

1) I'm a trained singer with a four octave range. The lower voices I can't do for sessions though. If I get a role like Surge for example --I'm good for an hour of recording before my voice starts to give out.

2) I'd rather not hurt my chances at negotions by answering that one --sorry :)

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
shining-Celebi said:
LOL.Your parrot sounds funny and cute.

I have another question Ms.Blaustein:

When will Movie 8 come out in the US?

I know it will premiere spring 2006 but do you know the month it's coming out?
*hopes it's before June 17*

1)Jake is the most adorable little man in the world. Here's a pic of me and my Jake.

Image-24AA92A0E73F11DA.jpg

No jokes --it's early and I've no makeup on!

2) No clue but I can't wait.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
yonar said:
Is it passed the point of no return on you guys getting the dub back?
I really want the old voices back, it seems so different with the new ones, I am so used to the old voices, and you have like 8 seasons vs. zoids 3.
Why can't pokemon just hire you back, no one has heard of Taj productions (atleast I haven't) and 4Kids is a well know company who has done an amazing job. I know a lot of people wanted unedited versions and were complaning about it, but I never really cared about that, I just want the old voices back.

P.S.
Finished the macbeth essay =D

1) The answer is --It's not passed the point :)

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
pinkechidna said:
Hello Miss Blaustein, it's a pleasure to be able to talk to you! I have only one question.

Of all the minor role you've played, which one was your favorite?

1) Bill, The Lighthouse Keeper.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
Evie said:
Dear Maddie,
I decided to join the Serebii forums after reading this thread, because a) I found myself surprisingly devastated at hearing the new voices and wanted to holler my support, and b) I wanted to ask you a question as another (chronological) grown-up involved with media that is supposedly for kids.

Even though I've always been a moderately creative person, I had a pretty straightforward administrative career for a number of years after college. I wasn't truly happy with it, but never thought I could risk giving it up to do something that I would enjoy more. Then about two years ago, my boyfriend introduced me to Pokemon by showing me his DVDs of the show-- I had never been into anime or video games, but I got totally hooked because there are so many things about it that are so special and fun and adorable (and possibly because my boyfriend and I happen to have the only two human names that are also Pokemon names, and that's just freakin awesome). Less than a year later, I quit my job and became a freelance writer-- and this may sound crazy, but I honestly think that getting into Pokemon played a big part in helping me realize that you're never too old to do anything if it makes you happy.

So after that rambling intro, I wanted to ask if you think that voicing cartoons and writing comic books has helped you keep that attitude, and motivated you to keep at it when doing something more "conventional" might seem easier? You obviously have a terrific attitude about the work you do, as well you should, and it seems to me that a lot of people would be a whole lot happier if they let the kid inside play in the mud a little more.

Thanks, and thanks for taking this time with fans! ~Evie (two little rivers away in Jersey City)

Howdy, Neighbor! I can't tell you happy this makes me!! :)

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
plasticeye87 said:
First things first wow!!!! I can't believe I'm talking to an actual VA, well that's enough of that my question is since you're the senior digital artist at DC (I suppose that's one of the executive jobs i think) do you get access to all of DCs goodies like posters, merchandise the fans can't get which the bootleggers would sell their souls to rip off and sell and do you get to see all of DC's media like the DCAU, the live action stuff and the movies before the fans can? Sorry for the run-on sentence thanks and send my regards to your parrot!!! I had a bird too but alas it's gone sniff!! sniff!!

Nope. I'm just an artist not an executive. I get way too much free DC stuff. I have a huuuuuuge Wonderwoman toy and statue collection. Sorry to hear about your bird. They are truly a wonderful pet to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.