• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooCoolScyther

Sea Ruby Trainer
Maddie, don't know if you'll see this but...

I honestly have stopped watching Pokemon since they changed the voice actors. I mean, I tried to give it a chance by watching a few episodes of Battle Frontier... but it just doesn't feel the same anymore.

A heartfelt thank you goes out to you and the rest of the original crew for giving all of us the great episodes before Battle Frontier. Thank you very much.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
I have a question:

1. What was probably your favorite thing that Meowth did on the show? Act like Giovanni, fall in love with Skitty etc.

Try to hatch Togepi

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
Maddie, don't know if you'll see this but...

I honestly have stopped watching Pokemon since they changed the voice actors. I mean, I tried to give it a chance by watching a few episodes of Battle Frontier... but it just doesn't feel the same anymore.

A heartfelt thank you goes out to you and the rest of the original crew for giving all of us the great episodes before Battle Frontier. Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

My own opinion is that the show has now officially "jumped the shark"

CabbyFish

It's B and it's W...
In your sig, I see Meowth dressed up as a nurse. I was wondering which episode it was from?

What process did 4Kids use to decide which actor should play each pokemon, or did the dubbers (or the voice actor(s)) already know when an actor wanted to play that pokemon?

I also remember reading Michael Haigney (I think I spelt his name wrong), one of the original scriptwriters for the American version, voiced several pokemon? The only five I remember him doing from my head are Geodude, Psyduck, Charmander, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan. Did he do any others?

That episode is The Ultimate Test I believe...

I kinna agree with Maddie about jumping the shark I wish the producers put a bit more creativity into the show as they do in the movies....Lucario: And The Mystery of Mew was the most interesting thing I've seen from the anime in ages, and the last of my old cast :(

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
In your sig, I see Meowth dressed up as a nurse. I was wondering which episode it was from?

What process did 4Kids use to decide which actor should play each pokemon, or did the dubbers (or the voice actor(s)) already know when an actor wanted to play that pokemon?

I also remember reading Michael Haigney (I think I spelt his name wrong), one of the original scriptwriters for the American version, voiced several pokemon? The only five I remember him doing from my head are Geodude, Psyduck, Charmander, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan. Did he do any others?

1) don't remember --but it was only a very quick screen shot --not part of the plot.

2) You'd have to ask Darren Dunstan that one.

3) Yes --but I don't recall offhand which ones. Fairly sure he did eggsecutor.

CabbyFish

It's B and it's W...
You don't mind when they use your archived voices nowadays, do you? I mean, other than Meowth of course.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
You don't mind when they use your archived voices nowadays, do you? I mean, other than Meowth of course.

I don't mind at all --but you hardly get as good a Pokeon fro an archived cliop as you get from an actor performing the voice to fit the image on the screen.

That said --if they use an archived voice --they should credit the actor.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I kinna agree with Maddie about jumping the shark I wish the producers put a bit more creativity into the show as they do in the movies....Lucario: And The Mystery of Mew was the most interesting thing I've seen from the anime in ages, and the last of my old cast :(

I think the new episodes are just fine, imo. It just sounded like Maddie meant it "jumped the shark" simply because the new VA's, which if 4kids stayed it's not like the episodes would of been different (besides voices) really. And not too mention the switch was technically mid season (by Japanese order).

Last edited:

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
I think the new episodes are just fine, imo. It just sounded like Maddie meant it "jumped the shark" simply because the new VA's, which if 4kids stayed it's not like the episodes would of been different (besides voices) really. And not too mention the switch was technically mid season (by Japanese order).

Not just the VAs. The whole team. Head writer, Director, Sound engineers, Mixers.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Besides that, it still seems the same show too me. I actually really can watch a PUSA episode and 4kids episode back too back without any problem.

It's basically a BGM of new and original music, hit and miss puns, and voices I either like or don't.

But, I may be biased, because Battle Frontier IS my favorite season so far...but it seems some people act like the Japanese Producers retooled the show for PUSA...

i actualy do have a small question for you, why exactly did 4kids choose to have Corpfish's voice re-done? it's not that you were bad at it, but i just wonder why they didn't just keep the japanese voice like they did with the former crab pokemon on the team! it would have been a lot easier for PUSA if this was done as well, since most fans including myself liked old Corpfish better. but since the japanese voice just makes sounds, do you know why they didn't keep it? even though you did a pretty good job at it.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Because "Hei Hei Hei" (despite how much I like it) would sound weird for Corphish too say, when Kingler made a noise that sounded like "King".

That seemed too be how they decided it, amirite Maddie?

Not just the VAs. The whole team. Head writer, Director, Sound engineers, Mixers.

If I understand "jump the shark" correctly, it means, like a certain episode on Happy Days from where the phrase was coined, that the show lost all sense of being done well on all levels. Is that what you're really saying then, knowing that Pokemon now has the best ratings it's had a quite awhile, and it's not even on broadcast TV anymore?

Are you saying that no one in the audience knows any better?

didn't Al Kahn say something like that before? about kids not knowing better or something?

Al Kahn: "Silence! Do-do-do-do-do….whats this? Difficult English and Japanese words? Kids today don’t read. Better replace them with small, easy words and funny pictures. And Japanese culture that signifies that this show is originally from Japan? Better replace them with American customs and traditions so kids will think that America is better than Japan, which it is!"

Well...maybe it is a *bit* of a stretch...maybe not.

'Kay..before I get kicked out of here...Later.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
If I understand "jump the shark" correctly, it means, like a certain episode on Happy Days from where the phrase was coined, that the show lost all sense of being done well on all levels. Is that what you're really saying then, knowing that Pokemon now has the best ratings it's had a quite awhile, and it's not even on broadcast TV anymore?

Are you saying that no one in the audience knows any better?

You're working off a pretty fauty premise there, hon.

The ratings have been tanking for the last 2 months. My statement therefore stand. The show HAS lost all sense of being done well on all levels.

Contrary to your statement --the audience DOES seem to know better. That's why it's been sinking like a stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.