• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aspects of PLA that should be improved/fixed in the Gen 9

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Well at least
Volo and Giratina's battle
is not exactly forced or mandatory,
it's a post credits fight
it is just another request waiting for you. Meaning you can travel the world generally doing all the other quests until you have a decent ammount of strong ammount of pokemon. Think about it like Final Fantasy 7, it has Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon or Yiazmath from Final Fantasy 12. All three bosses are considered super-bosses and can be really unfair too than any pokemon game. But they are not needed to finish the main story.
It's still part of the main narrative. I call it "Act II" because it's similar to Dragon Quest 11's structure.

Dragon Quest 11 has one central antagonist, just to be shown to be under the influence of another more major antagonist.

I still have yet to complete DQ11, and the reason I say that is because I haven't beaten the villain behind it all. I don't consider my job done just because I beat the final boss of act II (DQ11 has its main antagonists in the last two of its three acts, rather than the first two).

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Fair enough. If you're going to set up with a wall I guess it's better to stay in. I don't like switching out every other turn or doing those ludicrous double switches like some people do. But I know that I'll never be the best at Singles cause of that.
However, I want to be the very best in Doubles (like no one ever was). Had 4 accounts in the top 6 in Battle Spot Doubles, including #1 and 2 (5 and 6 were tied so I basically had 4 in the top 5). Also got 4 accounts near the top of the ladder in DUU right now. I use a different team each account.

Well done! I'm not the best in Double Battles, but I'd like to be. With that said:

10. Robust Training Grounds - I do like how there's a place where we can battle to practice, so I would love it if in Gen 9 there was a whole facility dedicated to training and learning, especially for 'competitive play.' They could even have the Hyper Training/Grit Rock person there.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Well done! I'm not the best in Double Battles, but I'd like to be. With that said:

10. Robust Training Grounds - I do like how there's a place where we can battle to practice, so I would love it if in Gen 9 there was a whole facility dedicated to training and learning, especially for 'competitive play.' They could even have the Hyper Training/Grit Rock person there.
I don't know if we'll get an actual training ground but I don't doubt that GF will give us something in the way of a training mechanic. They've been moving in that direction since X&Y. SWSW is really good in this regard, and while I do hope we get something better, I just hope they don't take a step backward.

PCN24454

Well, I guess they could always just remove EVs entirely. It’d reach the same result since everyone just wants to have max.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I really think they should consider retconning some of the shiny colors, namely the ones that have similar color schemes in different shades. The HD shading makes telling them apart even worse than it used to be. I found a shiny Paras in a mass outbreak but I had to stare at it for like 10 seconds side by side next to a normal Paras simply because they look so freaking similar.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I really think they should consider retconning some of the shiny colors, namely the ones that have similar color schemes in different shades. The HD shading makes telling them apart even worse than it used to be. I found a shiny Paras in a mass outbreak but I had to stare at it for like 10 seconds side by side next to a normal Paras simply because they look so freaking similar.
On that note they should retcon the vomit green and purples on some of the shinies.

Luthor

Agreed especially Garchomp and Gengar who have better shiny forms on their Mega evolutions so they don't even have the challenge of choosing the colour.

Zadent

Well, I guess they could always just remove EVs entirely. It’d reach the same result since everyone just wants to have max.
There’s some tricks you can do with EVs that don’t require max. that takes a lot of planning, but it can be neat know you’re pokemon may be just enough off from meta to unexpectedly outspeed someone or survive a hit. ELs are similar, but since there’s no need to run min speed and no cap, you can just max everything.

IVs though…those are primarly max outside of rare conditions (min attack for special attacks, min speed for trick room mons, and then Stakataka is just weird). Those could go, or at least be ignored or something in online play.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Okay, let's recap:

1. Player Health Bar - It would have been so much easier if we could see how much damage was being dealt, because the screen turning black/red just isn't enough. If player damage returns, we need a health bar.

2. Optional Tutorials - For the love of GOD make the tutorials optional! At least half the fandom has been playing these games for a decade or more. We don't need to be instructed on what to do, even for a game like Legends. For those that do feel they need it, it can be there.

3. Human v. Human Combat - While this will completely change Pokémon forever, I feel it is a necessary change. It's time the humans fought alongside their partners, and with that, allow humans to take damage for their partners.

4. Uncatchable Legendaries - I've mentioned this before and I'm sticking to it. Legendaries should not be obtainable in-game. It doesn't make sense even in the Pokémon universe for a mere human to catch a literal god. All legendaries should be received via Mystery Gift or other downloadable means.

5. Boss Level Curve - I think it's time the bosses got tougher as we do. The same should apply to gyms. A good example would be the level of a gym's team will always be 2-5 levels higher than the player's. Even better, all gym leaders will have 8 preset teams, and the team used will be relative to the number of badges the player has upon battle.

6. Travel Marker - Similar to Breath of the Wild's Hero Path Mode, it would greatly help if players could keep track of where they are/were going on the map. It gets rather difficult to backtrack in Legends because I can't remember precisely where I was or where I've been. A traveling line, even a temporary one, would be a great help.

7. Varying Outcomes - While keeping it streamlined for younger/newer players, Pokémon games should have a forked outcome pathway that decreases the accessibility to victory. Of course, open world gameplay does this on its own. However, losing gym battles should actually impact progress, and failing to defeat the Champion should remain fixed. Conversely, becoming Champion should require you having to defend your title, and should you lose it, you'll have to battle for it again.

8. Preset "Hidden Moves" - Something that would really streamline the games is if all Pokémon came with 'Hidden Moves,' just like they come with Abilities, to allow ease in traveling throughout a region. Instead of relying on special Riding Pokémon, every creature will have at least one preset task they can do. Pidgeot and Drifblim will always be able to fly you around; Gyarados and Empoleon will always be able to carry you over water, and Hariyama and Lucario will always be able to knock down walls and boulders.

9. Traditional Yawn - Given my love for using the move in competitive play, I'm not too fond of this new form of Yawn. I do hope the original move remains in Gen 9.

I doubt most of these will happen lol, but it would be nice. The one I really do wish would come to be is the boss level curve. If open world gameplay is to continue, there must be a way to prevent overlevelling our team.

PCN24454

The problem with leveling curves is that they trivialize progression. If the boss is always 5 levels higher, then what’s the point of leveling up?

That being said, it would be interesting to see a Pokémon game without any sort of leveling system.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The problem with leveling curves is that they trivialize progression. If the boss is always 5 levels higher, then what’s the point of leveling up?

This is true. It could indeed make levelling up obsolete in the main game.

Perhaps there could be a threshold of sorts, similar to the one in Pokémon Stadium. In that game, the gym leaders' pokemon are all based at Lv. 50, but if there is any pokemon on your team with a level higher than that, all the gym leaders' pokemon will jump up in level to match.

At any rate, something must be done to accommodate the open world gameplay we are now experiencing. It was already easy before to become overlevelled, but now we can literally reach Level 100 without ever leaving Obsidian Fieldlands. Sure, there's the whole "Pokémon won't obey you" clause, but given you can reach the 10 Star Rank before reaching the second Noble Pokémon, that clause immediately becomes obsolete. I constantly found myself having to slow down because I was levelling up too fast, I hate being stronger than the bosses. I hate easy gym battles, too. I crave difficulty when I play.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

I have some nice visuals now to illustrate the point. I managed to take some screenshots from my Switch of both the regular and shiny Paras, and then I photoshopped out the shiny icon. Can you tell which one is which (note: this is a rhetorical question, I'm not expecting a response)?

YDwTyfN.jpg

0jU77Vn.jpg

They absolutely need more distinctive looking shinies in a game like this.

Last edited:

Ryker101

I’d say
- Bring back abilities
- Have pokemon follow you (properly) when you send them out, maybe after you send out multiple only the first one actually follows you
- Minimap (optional)
- Player health bar/hearts
- Not separating regions, or at least flowing better b/w them
- More pokemon variety
- Honestly better graphics, hope they take more time to polish it

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I have some nice visuals now to illustrate the point. I managed to take some screenshots from my Switch of both the regular and shiny Paras, and then I photoshopped out the shiny icon. Can you tell which one is which (note: this is a rhetorical question, I'm not expecting a response)?

YDwTyfN.jpg

0jU77Vn.jpg

They absolutely need more distinctive looking shinies in a game like this.

They've retconned shiny colors in the past anyways. I think there were a few examples, but the one I can remember off the top of my head is that shiny Charizard looked like this in Gen 2:

006.png

It wasn't until Gen 3 and beyond that they changed it to the black/red color scheme that it would be there on out. The problem is, Gen 2's shiny Charizard wasn't even bad, all things considered. I guess they wanted an edgier color scheme than purple/green for one of the most popular Pokemon in the series (although personally I wouldn't mind having a Charizard repping the Vanu Sovereignty), but there were lots of Pokemon in Gens 1 and 2 that needed their shiny palettes changed way more than Charizard (Articuno, Zapdos, nearly every Gen 2 baby Pokemon, etc). I would definitely be fine with them going back and retconning shinies as long as they only do the ones that are clearly similar to their base colors.

Or, here's another crazy idea that most people will probably hate; what if shinies had their color palettes randomized, and could be just about any color or combination of colors? Think of it like how creatures are colored in games like Ark: SE; their bodies are divided into regions and a color is applied to each region. The same thing could technically be done with Pokemon; using Charizard as an example, its main body, belly, and wing membranes would all be separate regions, and then as a shiny, random colors would be picked for each region, which would result in a huge number of possible combinations. Some would probably be underwhelming but some would be amazing.

Probably wouldn't happen and I could see a lot of people not being particularly fond of it, ironically including a lot of shiny hunters, but I think it would be kind of neat.