• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Assault

Vali

King of Beets
I guess this is rated PG-13. Really, if you can handle me saying "hell" every couple of chapters and a lot of death, you're fine.

If you need a link to chapter one or chapter two, I pity you.

Chapter 1: The Halfro

“Raticate, NOW! Hyper Beam! FINISH THAT WEAKLING OFF!”

Rocket Executive Silver was yelling at the pale-blue Raticate standing before him, who used to belong to Blue when he was a living creature.

“THAT ARCANINE’S ALMOST DEAD! COME ON, NOW!” yelled Silver. His short red hair was wavering in the wind from the sheer power coming from the dead Raticate. Hyper Beam after Hyper Beam, Raticate blew half of the PokéPolice forces’ Pokémon into smithereens after their harmless Flamethrowers and Giga Impacts passed through Raticate’s body. This was a battle to the death; winner gaining the trust of the all-powerful dead Marowak. Silver’s Feraligatr, Magnezone, and Ambipom all died in the process; but no matter, Silver would see their spirits trying to haunt him and catch them again.

Two more Arcanine and a Chatot stood defiant of the Executive’s goal, swiftly defeated by more ghostly Hyper Beams. They were gone from the world, reposing for the rest of eternity. Unless, of course, Silver’s plan went right.

The police force fell down in shame and exhaustion. Jenny surrendered herself swiftly and Silver took their retreat. They teleported away as soon as the silhouette of a Marowak appeared on the floor of the stadium. If Silver caught this one, the zombie army would be complete and ready for phase one. Even Red would have no chance fighting the demon.

The silhouette faded as a white-blue Marowak hovered towards Silver. Glaring at him, she swung her Thick Club straight at Silver, though it passed through him. He took out a Spirit Ball, chucked straight up, and it landed on Marowak and sucked her right into the container. Squirming three times, apparently trying to get out, the ball let open a flurry of stars. Grinning at his new accomplishment, he asked his undead Alakazam to transport him to the Rocket Base through telepathy. Silver quickly was turned into a purple energy and was rushed out to a different location.

Boss Rocket glared at Silver, but smirked as he placed a Sprit Ball on his desk.

“Silver. You have outdone yourself. The zombie potion, Spirit Ball, and now you’ve caught her. You may exit the room, Admin Silver.”

Silver gave a smug look to anyone else he saw today under his rank. Ecruteak’s Rocket Base frowned whenever they glanced at Silver, but now they felt pure frustration under their assassin masks.

As Silver was walking down the hall, he started to hear his Colosseum theme music. He groaned, then stormed over to the guy with an oversized afro.

Miror B. was doing the Macarena while dancing with his five Ludicolo and his Maractus. He pulled out maracas from his humungous hair and responded to Silver’s grumpiness.

“Silver, you’re looking oh-so not funky-fresh. Would a battle make you funky fresh?” Miror B. shook his maracas once more, and put them back in his afro.

“Fine, but how about we make this a bet? If I lose, I give you 100 PokéDollars.” said Silver, “but, if you lose, you shave off half of your afro!”

Miror B. looked horrified. He lost track of his beat, and his Ludicolo and Maractus stopped dancing. “I made the challenge, so I accept. One on one.”

Silver chucked out a Poké Ball, revealing a Crobat.

“Bring it on!” Miror B. commanded his fourth Ludicolo to battle. “Your battling is funky-fresh, try battling on your own,” commanded Miror B.

“QUACK! Quack Ludi ludiludiCOLO!” On the last syllable, Ludicolo unleashed a Scald attack at the purple bat.

“Dodge with Acrobatics and attack with Cross Poison.” At the command, Crobat dodged the searing hot water, coated its wing in poison, and struck the Ludicolo right on the sombrero.

“Ludiquack!” exclaimed the Mexican pineapple duck. Ludicolo unleashed a Leech Seed from its beak.

Crobat dodged with its reflexes and struck back with Acrobatics. The Ludicolo flew back 20 feet, hit a Rocket Grunt, and slipped into unconsciousness.

“NO! THIS IS NOT HOW IT’S SUPPOSED TO GO! NOT FUNKY-FRESH AT ALL!” Miror B. yelled. He stormed off to the bathroom with his confidence diminished.
-----------------

Red’s Gengar emerged from his Poké Ball, making an eerie chattering noise. The spirits had been majorly disturbed. Gengar exited the light-green cabin on the top of Mt. Silver to confront his master.

“WHAT? Silver has captured ANOTHER SPIRIT? If Rocket executes this plan, who knows how many more things will die?” This was Red’s reaction to the chattering noise Gengar made. All ghost types made this kind of noise if something of this consequence happened. Then again, he shouldn’t have been surprised, as the chattering sound had happened multiple times during the same week.

“That’s it. We have to get to Gold. If his Mismagius hadn’t used that Hex, we wouldn’t have been in this mess. Let’s blame it on him!” called Red. Gengar cheered at this remark too; wouldn’t it be easier to blame somebody else?

Gold was located on the top of Mt. Mortar, training with Chuck Norris, the gym leader. His Primeape was beating the stuffing out of Hitmonchan with combinations of Mega Kick and Close Combat.

“Oh, come on! Hitmonlee, let’s go!” Chuck’s Hitmonlee came bursting out of the Ultra Ball, ready to fight. “Close Combat, NOW!”

“You too, Primeape! Close Combat!” commanded Gold. Hitmonlee and Primeape started to bash each other repeatedly, though Hitmonlee seemed to be blocking. Primeape shoved Hitmonlee off balance unexpectedly.

“Let’s do this with ThunderPunch, Primeape,” proclaimed Gold coolly. Primeape did a somersault in midair while punching Hitmonlee in the face, knocking the Kicking Pokémon out.

“Great job Primeape! Great ThunderPunch....” Gold trailed off in the middle of his speech when he saw the shiny Pidgeot fly by. He knew it was none other than Red.

Last edited:

Agent DJ

Like a BOSS!!!!!!!!!
Yay, ya posted it! Any who, glad you added more detail on the beginning. Didn't spot any mistakes so that's good. Also, who's Mirror B.? I've seen that he's been mentioned in other fics but who exactly is he?
PS. add me to the PM list.

Vali

King of Beets
Yay, ya posted it! Any who, glad you added more detail on the beginning. Didn't spot any mistakes so that's good. Also, who's Mirror B.? I've seen that he's been mentioned in other fics but who exactly is he?
PS. add me to the PM list.

Adventure of Adventureness *cough*

sorry, Miror B. is this guy. Suggested you read up on him; he'll be a recurring character.

Adding you to the PM list right now; glad you liked it :D

I have the next chapter done, does anyone have any idea how to copy/paste on a Mac?

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Time for criticism! Overall, I think it's a pretty good start to a fic. I assume you read The Adventure of Adventureness since Miror B.'s Ludicolo quack like the aforementioned fic's Miror B.'s Ludicolo quack. It seems like a comedy fic filled with action and stuff. Chuck Norris? I have to remember to put that guy in my fic sometime...

Vali

King of Beets
Time for criticism! Overall, I think it's a pretty good start to a fic. I assume you read The Adventure of Adventureness since Miror B.'s Ludicolo quack like the aforementioned fic's Miror B.'s Ludicolo quack. It seems like a comedy fic filled with action and stuff. Chuck Norris? I have to remember to put that guy in my fic sometime...

Thanks for the review!

I did read the Adventure of Adventureness, I'm on the PM list. They made the gym leader Chuck, the fighting leader, at the same time they ended Walker, Texas Ranger. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Vali

King of Beets
Hah! After I shut the computer off, I was able to copy/paste off of pages. So here is CHAPTER 2!

Chapter 2: Rival

Silver was walking down Ecruteak Rocket Base’s halls when he encountered Maxie and Archie bickering for the fourth time today.

“Water Pokémon are better! They can swim, and uh, shoot water, and...” Archie trailed off in the middle of his speech.

“Ground Pokémon, imbecile!” Maxie growled. “More than one type of Pokémon would actually survive if it was all earth! In retrospect, we would all die from lack of water.”

“STOP ARGUING! I just made Miror B. shave off half of his afro and you’re arguing! Get over it!” Silver yelled. “Double Battle, me and Halfro vs. you two! Now!” On command, the very familiar Colosseum theme music came floating into Silver’s ears. Groaning at Halfro, he turned to the ex-Cipher Admin.

“Why aren’t you oh-so funky-fresh?” At the last word, Halfro sent out his Maractus for no apparent reason other than to dance. “And why is that groovy narrator calling me Halfro? ARE YOU GETTING REVENGE FOR CALLING YOU YUCKY?!?!”

“Halfro-Fine, Miror B, can you help me beat the hell out of these goons?” Halfro nodded, while for some reason making a very obscene gesture at the sky. “Good.” Silver grinned.

Everyone sent out their Pokémon; Camerupt, Sharpedo, Bouffalant, and Furret came out the respective trainer’s Poké Balls.

Maxie nodded at Archie, then commanded “Camerupt, Eruption!” followed by a “CAMMMMMMMEEEEEERRRRUUPT!” The hallway exploded with lava and flying chunks of cement, then came another command from Archie, “Sharpedo, Dark Pulse.” A wave of energy flew from Sharpedo’s mouth and hit Silver’s Furret square in the face.

“Let’s get this oh-so smooth battle on!” Halfro yelled, “AFRO BREAK, OH-SO FUNKY-FRESH BOUFFALANT!” Bouffalant roared and charged at Camerupt, afro first. Camerupt was knocked back into Sharpedo, which fell unconscious.

“Finish this up with a Hyper Beam!” screeched Silver. Furret quickly charged up a beam from its mouth and released it onto the fire camel. It quickly fell on top of the piranha/shark.

Maxie and Archie glared at each other before Archie yelling, “YOUR FAT CAMERUPT LOST US THE BATTLE!” Maxie, having no comeback, returned the camel to its Poké Ball and walked away. Archie returned the carnivorous fish inside its Poké Ball as well.

“Bouffalant, that was groovy!” said Halfro. He then turned to Silver. “Cool battle, their teamwork reeked of harshness.” He then moonwalked back to his office, while turning the music off.

Silver used his zombie Alakazam to teleport back to his office. He was about to formulate step two of the plan.
----------------

Gold immediately stopped his training with Chuck; he knew if Red was here, this was serious. Chuck Norris bowed to the Kanto Champion, then went inside his cabin.

“Gold, let’s cut to the chase. Your Mismagius’ Hex let everyone enter the spirit world and let Silver kill us all. ISN’T THAT NICE!” roared Red in all caps.

“How many times have you awoken Giratina and I’d have to fix it? Fourteen god dang times! Did I blame it on you? NO, I DIDN’T, RED!” Gold yelled.

Red sighed, replying with “Like it or not, neither of can fix this alone. We have to use Mismagius and Gengar to destroy Marowak’s spirit grave, thus removing them from existence. Mismagius keeps it open, Gengar enters the spirit world. Up for that?” Gold nodded at the last sentence.

After sitting there for a minute, Red said, “We don’t have all chapter! We only have another hour before the author gets bored and forgets to post this!” Gold called out Mismagius and Red chucked the Ultra Ball containing Gengar.

Knowing what it was called upon for, Mismagius made its eyes turn pale blue. A purple sphere opened in front of it, and kept getting bigger and bigger. Eventually, the giant sphere stopped growing and turned the color of Mismagius’ eyes. Violet lightning burst out of the sphere, destroying everything it touched.

“Gengar, enter the portal, destroy Marowak’s spirit grave, and get out. Simple enough,” said Red. “Good luck.”

Gengar floated into the sphere. The moment Gengar touched it, the sphere shrunk.

“MISMAGIUS! KEEP THE PORTAL OPEN!” Gold yelled.

“Mis! Magimis!” Gold’s ghost wailed. It started crying, trying to convey it was trying.

“TRY HARDER! GENGAR WILL DIE AGAIN AND WE CAN’T LET THAT HAPPEN! DO IT!” Red screamed. Mismagius cried and wailed, but kept the purple orb from shrinking. The bolts of purple lightning hit Gold and converted him into flashes of light, then he was gone. Dead. Free for Silver to use for his perfidious plans.

“GOLD! NO! WHERE ARE YOU?” Red sobbed as Mismagius’ purple orb started to fade.

A/N

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! There was a bit of confusion of why Miror B, Archie, and Maxie were all in this chapter. It's because Team Rocket's now a monopoly; they own all the other failed crime syndicates.

Last edited:

Agent DJ

Like a BOSS!!!!!!!!!
Adventure of Adventureness *cough*

sorry, Miror B. is this guy. Suggested you read up on him; he'll be a recurring character.

Adding you to the PM list right now; glad you liked it :D

I have the next chapter done, does anyone have any idea how to copy/paste on a Mac?

Ah, I haven't had much time to read Adventure of Adventureness. I'm still on the beginning chapters.
Read the info on Mirror B. Now me comprende who he is. And as for Mac question: I have no idea, I don't own a Mac. I'm guessing It should be the same as copying and pasting on any other computer.

Vali

King of Beets
Ah, I haven't had much time to read Adventure of Adventureness. I'm still on the beginning chapters.
Read the info on Mirror B. Now me comprende who he is. And as for Mac question: I have no idea, I don't own a Mac. I'm guessing It should be the same as copying and pasting on any other computer.

Hah, YOU GOT NINJA'D BY THE AUTHOR!

The mac worked after I shut off the computer :D

Last edited:

Agent DJ

Like a BOSS!!!!!!!!!
Silver was walking down Ecruteak Rocket Base’s halls when he encountered Maxie and Archie bickering for the fourth time today.
Wait, aren't Archie and Maxie the leaders of Team Aqua/Team Magma? And aren't they supposed to be in the Hoen Region?
Also, the fisrt part does seem a little bit rushed. Maybe a little more detail on the battle?
“Gold, let’s cut to the chase. Your Mismagius’ Hex let everyone enter the spirit world and let Silver kill us all. ISN’T THAT NICE!” roared Gold in all caps.

“How many times have you awoken Giratina and I’d have to fix it? Fourteen god dang times! Did I blame it on you? NO, I DIDN’T, RED!” Gold yelled.
Um, either Gold really loves to yell at himself or the first Gold was supposed to be Red.
Besides that, everything else was awesome. Keep up the good work!
Hah, YOU GOT NINJA'D BY THE AUTHOR!
Oi, wouldn't be the 1st I was Ninja'd.
-SV:494::497:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So I wrote this review yesterday, before the release of the second chapter. Consequently, it really only contains my thoughts there, rather than anything afterwards. I might go back and read the second chapter as well, but that'll come later.

Hi! This is my first attempt at a fanfic. I'm not going for 20 Newbury awards here; I just want this as a mini-hobby.

Just so you know, you'll want to avoid opening a story like this because it sounds like you'd be unreceptive to constructive criticism. Fanfiction is pretty much a hobby for anyone (given the fact that you can't make money off of it legally), but the entire reason why someone would post it to a writing community is to get feedback from the masses. Otherwise, there's be no point in showing a bunch of complete strangers your work because if you were just writing for yourself, you'd get the same enjoyment out of keeping it in a notebook. Showing it to complete strangers just means that the complete strangers will pop in and say whatever comes to mind when they read your work. I'm not saying you didn't already know that, of course. Maybe you do. I'm just saying that it's not a good idea to make the reader think you're closed to concrit or that you're not putting a whole lot of effort into this work. (That's the other unfortunate implication of saying that you're not going for twenty Newburies.)

Tl;dr, everyone's doing this as a hobby, and no one's going after prestigious writing awards. It's just that it's usually not a good idea to open your fic by saying that.

But that's neither here nor there, and in the end, I'm putting that out of my mind. I'm just bringing that up as a heads up.

With that said, let me just jump right in and say that you start off with zombie Pokémon.

Zombie. Pokémon.

Now, I love fics that bring something new and different to the table and isn't just another journey fic/shipping fic/attempt at comedy/whatever happens to be the current trend of the fandom, and I love zombie flicks. So right away, you caught my attention by combining both of those into one interesting opening: a showdown between Silver (equipped with Blue's undead Raticate) and the police.

****ing. Zombies. Enough said.

His short red hair was wavering in the wind from the sheer power coming from the dead Raticate.

I just had to point this out to high five you for avoiding a problem a lot of newbie authors fall into. For your first fic, your description isn't actually half bad. You understand that it makes a scene sound more dynamic (if that even makes sense) if you blend details in with the action, and in instances like these, you let the description work for you. Not only can we picture Silver a little better, but we can get the feeling that this is one powerful Raticate using a bunch of pretty awesome Hyper Beams if his hair's flying just from its power.

Hyper Beam after Hyper Beam, Raticate blew up half of the PokéPolice forces’ Pokémon up after their harmless Flamethrowers and Giga Impacts passed through Raticate’s body. This was a battle to the death; winner gaining the trust of the all-powerful dead Marowak. Silver’s Feraligatr, Magnezone, and Ambipom all died in the process; but no matter, Silver would see their spirits trying to haunt him and catch them again.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend reading your work aloud to iron out minor glitches. That way, you can take your work to the next level. For example, the "up" after "Pokémon" isn't necessary here. Notice how you already have that word right after "blew"? It actually works better over there so you don't split up the phrase.

Then, the next one's up to you. Personally, I think the second sentence sounds better if you say "the winner" to make the phrase less generic and less of a fragment.

Third, semicolons are really tricky to figure out. If it helps, this is both a hilarious guide and one of the best you can find on the subject. It'll help clear things up with visuals that might help you out. (But in general, as a rule of thumb, semicolons are used in compound sentences if the conjunction – but, in this case – isn't present. There's other instances too that the guide also explains, but that's really the most common.)

Boss Rocket grimaced at the sight of the old boss’ son, but replaced by a smirk when Silver placed the Spirit Ball on his desk.

Reading your work aloud also helps you avoid strange phrasings. In this case, the phrasing of the second half of the sentence is just completely odd. The comma before the conjunction (but) makes this read as a compound sentence, but the second half is a fragment. Then, if we don't read it as a compound sentence, then the lack of symmetry causes "replaced" to mean pretty much nothing at all. The reason why is because if you have a conjunction in a sentence, both halves needs to have some sense of symmetry because you're telling a reader that either half could be omitted to have the rest make sense. In other words, this is what you're actually saying:

Boss Rocket grimaced at the sight of the old boss' son.
Boss Rocket replaced by a smirk when Silver placed the Spirit Ball on his desk.

It also helps to think of it like this: grimaced is a verb, not a noun, which means that the word "replaced" can't take it as a subject. That means that "replaced" has no subject at all.

Of course, I understood what you meant. It's just odd structuring that might seem a little more than off to someone else.

As Silver was walking down the hall, he started to hear a very familiar noise.

Don't do this. I know Missingno Master does it, but it really is bad form, especially in a fic that's meant to be taken seriously. (Yours could swing either way, especially when you bring up Chuck Norris, but largely, it reads as if it's not trying to be ridiculous to MM's levels.) The reason why is because it's very jarring to see, and it forces the reader to stop what they're doing in order to click on the link and figure out what you mean. As a result, it breaks their momentum, which means they're taken out of your world briefly.

If you want to link to a song to say something like "hey this is the song that I'm referring to later on; click on it and keep it in mind while reading," I'd suggest doing it in an author's note at the beginning, before you get into your chapter. That way, your reader can listen to it in the background while they read or pause it and decide to play it at an appropriate point, depending on their preference.

Miror B. was doing the macarena,

Macarena's always capitalized.

Unfortunately. o_x Oh, 90's flashbacks.

(If it helps, just remember that the dance is actually named after a woman. So, think of it as being the name of a person, and you'll be able to keep that in mind.)

He pulled out maracas from his humungous hair, and responded to Silver’s grumpiness.

Also as a rule of thumb, whenever you put a comma in a sentence before a conjunction (and, but, or, nor, for, yet so) try replacing it and said conjunction with a period. If you get two sentences as a result, keep the comma. If not, drop it. The reason why is because not all conjunctions signal a compound sentence (a sentence that needs a comma to separate two ideas). So in a lot of instances, the comma serves no purpose and actually splits up a dependent clause (sentence fragment) from an independent clause.

“Fine, but how about we make this a bet? If I lose, I give you $100 PokéDollars.” said Silver, “but, if you lose, you shave off half of your afro!”

First note: Putting a dollar sign in front of a number will cause the phrase to read "100 dollars" anyway, so you're actually saying "100 dollars PokéDollars" here.

Second note: Dialogue is always really tricky to punctuate. In this case, because the dialogue tag is happening mid-sentence, you'll actually need to follow "PokéDollars" with a comma and not a period because you want to signal to the reader that the sentence doesn't end right there. This guide might help explain things a bit better.

But I will say, either way, that I'm entertained by this bet.

Silver chucked out a Poké Ball, revealing a Crobat. “Bring it on!” Miror B. commanded his fourth Ludicolo to battle. “Your battling is funky-fresh, try battling on your own,” commanded Miror B.

Always be careful about your paragraphing, and don't mix characters' interactions with other characters' dialogue. In other words, if one character does something, you'll want to start a new paragraph if the other character speaks.

For example, in this case, it's unclear who said, "Bring it on!" The reason why is because you start the paragraph off with something Silver does, which causes the phrase to read as if Silver's saying it. However, Miror B. steps up to do something and concludes the paragraph with his own dialogue, which means the speaker of that first line is completely ambiguous. I'm thinking you meant to have Miror B. say it because he's definitely the speaker of the quote at the end of the paragraph, but it could also be that Silver is saying it and that you meant to have a paragraph break right after that. (That possibility's also enforced by the fact that he's the one who sent out a Pokémon first.)

“Dodge with Acrobatics and attack with Cross Poison.” At the command, Crobat dodged the searing hot water, coated its wing in poison, and struck the Ludicolo right on the sombrero.

“Ludiquack!” exclaimed the Mexican pineapple duck. Ludicolo unleashed a Leech Seed from its beak.

The first paragraph is an example of what you should do when it comes to description; the second is the kind of thing you'll want to avoid as you improve. The reason why is because if you just leave everything as "Pokémon used Move," then the readers can't really visualize what's going on. Yes, they know what these attacks look like in canon, but it doesn't really help them get into your world and feel as if they're watching this epic battle in progress. It's always a good idea to describe the move in detail somewhere along the line. If you must identify it by name, you can do so either after the description or through the mouth of a trainer.

So as an even clearer example, the first paragraph really works because the reader can imagine the jet of scalding, steaming water flying towards Crobat, and they can envision poison seeping out of pores to coat the wing. (Of course, it might work a bit differently according to your own headcanon, but that's how I'm picturing it.) After that, we can see Crobat diving at Ludicolo to strike it with a wing. It could be a bit more detailed to bring out what's going on, but it's definitely a good start.

Either way, though, I'm super-amused by the fact that Ludicolo went down in one hit, and I'm equally amused by Miror B's reaction. I'm not too familiar with how Miror B acts in XD (and therefore, post-canon), so I'm not sure if that's true to his character or not. Still, it was amusing, and that's all that really matters at this point.

“WHAT? Silver has captured ANOTHER SPIRIT? If Rocket executes this plan, who knows how many more things will die?” This was Red’s reaction to the chattering noise Gengar made.

I have to ask. Is this game-verse Red or Special-verse Red? Because if this is game-verse Red, then I'm extremely amused by the thought of him yelling, which is to say that's probably not particularly in-character for him. I can see Special-verse Red yelling, however, but to be honest, I'm not as familiar with the manga as I should be.

Meanwhile, if it's an OC named Red, you'll want to be careful. Same thing goes with Silver, who actually outright expressed in the games the fact that he would never join Team Rocket. It's generally frowned upon to take canon characters and turn them into OCs (original characters – as in, characters that you created yourself) because the practice really misses the point of who those characters are. That and it just doesn't make sense. Using characters as a vessel for your own creations means that their personalities don't matter as much. Those same characters can be replaced, and the entire plot wouldn't be affected. In the end, it could reflect badly on your characterization because it implies that you're either not brave enough to come up with an OC from scratch or that you can't be arsed to research the characters. Not saying that you're either. Just saying that a reader could jump to those conclusions, especially given the fact that Silver and Red are both immensely popular with fanon that's pretty ingrained in the fandom to the point where going against it is a lot like saying Ash is a scientific genius.

Gengar cheered at this remark too; wouldn’t it be easier to blame somebody else?

Insert mental image of trollface Gengar here. I already like this Gengar.

Gold was located on the top of Mt. Mortar, training with Chuck Norris, the gym leader.

Wat.

Seriously, though, it seems like you've got a one-off joke here that feels a little unnecessary, especially with how brief the rest of the sentence is. I mean, I think the reference is cool, but with how fast this paragraph is going, it's hard to really appreciate it. The phrase "Chuck Norris" is just deserving of absolute magnificence. Probably a few angels descending. And maybe a lengthy description about beards. But in any case, yeah, it feels like you brought it up but didn't really take full advantage of it.

In fact, "the gym leader" sort of feels a little tacked on. This goes especially for the fact that Chuck isn't the only gym leader in Johto, and they're not in Cianwood. So, it's rather strange that you'd need to clarify that he's a gym leader, meaning the Chuck Norris joke seems a little pointless because it's like you're saying, "Here's a joke! NO WAIT, TAKING IT BACK FOR SERIOUSNESS!" I'm not sure how to clarify this a bit more because I know this doesn't make perfect sense, but I think the best way to say it is that the Chuck Norris joke feels like it's being cut short because you feel the need to clarify things for the reader. So, silliness is dropped in lieu of serious explaining.

I also sort of have to headdesk at the reference to someone else's fic (within the same fandom, in any case – cross-fandom usually ends up being pop culture references) because I'm always uncomfortable with ideas that are taken out of context and put to use in a completely different setting, especially if you didn't get permission to do it. The reason why is because it causes your work to seem a little less creative because you didn't really come up with the idea yourself. (And in some cases, it also has the unfortunate implication of trying to force something that you found funny in another fic to conform to your context. In other words, it just doesn't end up saying good things about what you're doing.)

His Primeape was beating the stuffing out of Hitmonchan with combinations of Mega Kick and Close Combat.

I'd say insert "Chuck's" in front of "Hitmonchan" in order to clarify that the Primeape is Gold's. Otherwise, probably because I got focused on the phrase "Chuck Norris," I first assumed that the Primeape was Chuck's instead.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do see a lot of potential here, and hey, I can't argue with zombie Pokémon. In fact, I have to reiterate for the umpteenth time. It's an awesome premise. (Zombie. Pokémon. Enough said.) It's just that the delivery could use a bit of tweaking.

For one, I sort of felt that the canon characters you were using were slightly OOC – Silver and Red, at least; Gold and Chuck didn't get too much detail yet, while I'm never sure about Miror B's characterization. While it works for Adventure of Adventureness, the main issue with this fic is that it teeters between trying to take itself seriously (with a focus on epic battles and the badassery of the characters involved) and not (the Chuck Norris jokes and reference to MM's fic in general). You tended to rush towards the end of the first chapter, so you didn't really have time to dwell on any of those jokes (especially the Chuck Norris one), so it just feels like off-handed references rather than something we should be laughing at.

Moreover, there were also a few issues in terms of grammar, and on top of that, the description tended to be inconsistent. Don't settle for "Pokémon used Move," and always remember to be careful about proofreading, even if you're doing this as a hobby. The smoother the style, the easier it is for everyone to get into your writing. (Also, as a minor but related side note, you may want to look into getting your title fixed. Because your title is an advertisement for the kind of quality a reader would expect to find in the actual story, misspelling it is usually not a good sign to them.)

That said, not too bad. I'll keep an eye on this one because of its premise.

Last edited:

Vali

King of Beets
Wait, aren't Archie and Maxie the leaders of Team Aqua/Team Magma? And aren't they supposed to be in the Hoen Region?
Also, the fisrt part does seem a little bit rushed. Maybe a little more detail on the battle?
Um, either Gold really loves to yell at himself or the first Gold was supposed to be Red.
Besides that, everything else was awesome. Keep up the good work!
Oi, wouldn't be the 1st I was Ninja'd.
-SV:494::497:

Yeah, they are, I'll explain it a bit more in the next chapter.

I can't believe I missed the Gold/Gold part, whoops xD

Thanks a lot!

Vali

King of Beets
So I wrote this review yesterday, before the release of the second chapter. Consequently, it really only contains my thoughts there, rather than anything afterwards. I might go back and read the second chapter as well, but that'll come later.

Just so you know, you'll want to avoid opening a story like this because it sounds like you'd be unreceptive to constructive criticism. Fanfiction is pretty much a hobby for anyone (given the fact that you can't make money off of it legally), but the entire reason why someone would post it to a writing community is to get feedback from the masses. Otherwise, there's be no point in showing a bunch of complete strangers your work because if you were just writing for yourself, you'd get the same enjoyment out of keeping it in a notebook. Showing it to complete strangers just means that the complete strangers will pop in and say whatever comes to mind when they read your work. I'm not saying you didn't already know that, of course. Maybe you do. I'm just saying that it's not a good idea to make the reader think you're closed to concrit or that you're not putting a whole lot of effort into this work. (That's the other unfortunate implication of saying that you're not going for twenty Newburies.)

Tl;dr, everyone's doing this as a hobby, and no one's going after prestigious writing awards. It's just that it's usually not a good idea to open your fic by saying that.

But that's neither here nor there, and in the end, I'm putting that out of my mind. I'm just bringing that up as a heads up.

With that said, let me just jump right in and say that you start off with zombie Pokémon.

Zombie. Pokémon.

Now, I love fics that bring something new and different to the table and isn't just another journey fic/shipping fic/attempt at comedy/whatever happens to be the current trend of the fandom, and I love zombie flicks. So right away, you caught my attention by combining both of those into one interesting opening: a showdown between Silver (equipped with Blue's undead Raticate) and the police.

****ing. Zombies. Enough said.

I just had to point this out to high five you for avoiding a problem a lot of newbie authors fall into. For your first fic, your description isn't actually half bad. You understand that it makes a scene sound more dynamic (if that even makes sense) if you blend details in with the action, and in instances like these, you let the description work for you. Not only can we picture Silver a little better, but we can get the feeling that this is one powerful Raticate using a bunch of pretty awesome Hyper Beams if his hair's flying just from its power.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend reading your work aloud to iron out minor glitches. That way, you can take your work to the next level. For example, the "up" after "Pokémon" isn't necessary here. Notice how you already have that word right after "blew"? It actually works better over there so you don't split up the phrase.

Then, the next one's up to you. Personally, I think the second sentence sounds better if you say "the winner" to make the phrase less generic and less of a fragment.

Third, semicolons are really tricky to figure out. If it helps, this is both a hilarious guide and one of the best you can find on the subject. It'll help clear things up with visuals that might help you out. (But in general, as a rule of thumb, semicolons are used in compound sentences if the conjunction – but, in this case – isn't present. There's other instances too that the guide also explains, but that's really the most common.)

Reading your work aloud also helps you avoid strange phrasings. In this case, the phrasing of the second half of the sentence is just completely odd. The comma before the conjunction (but) makes this read as a compound sentence, but the second half is a fragment. Then, if we don't read it as a compound sentence, then the lack of symmetry causes "replaced" to mean pretty much nothing at all. The reason why is because if you have a conjunction in a sentence, both halves needs to have some sense of symmetry because you're telling a reader that either half could be omitted to have the rest make sense. In other words, this is what you're actually saying:

Boss Rocket grimaced at the sight of the old boss' son.
Boss Rocket replaced by a smirk when Silver placed the Spirit Ball on his desk.

It also helps to think of it like this: grimaced is a verb, not a noun, which means that the word "replaced" can't take it as a subject. That means that "replaced" has no subject at all.

Of course, I understood what you meant. It's just odd structuring that might seem a little more than off to someone else.

Don't do this. I know Missingno Master does it, but it really is bad form, especially in a fic that's meant to be taken seriously. (Yours could swing either way, especially when you bring up Chuck Norris, but largely, it reads as if it's not trying to be ridiculous to MM's levels.) The reason why is because it's very jarring to see, and it forces the reader to stop what they're doing in order to click on the link and figure out what you mean. As a result, it breaks their momentum, which means they're taken out of your world briefly.

If you want to link to a song to say something like "hey this is the song that I'm referring to later on; click on it and keep it in mind while reading," I'd suggest doing it in an author's note at the beginning, before you get into your chapter. That way, your reader can listen to it in the background while they read or pause it and decide to play it at an appropriate point, depending on their preference.

Macarena's always capitalized.

Unfortunately. o_x Oh, 90's flashbacks.

(If it helps, just remember that the dance is actually named after a woman. So, think of it as being the name of a person, and you'll be able to keep that in mind.)

Also as a rule of thumb, whenever you put a comma in a sentence before a conjunction (and, but, or, nor, for, yet so) try replacing it and said conjunction with a period. If you get two sentences as a result, keep the comma. If not, drop it. The reason why is because not all conjunctions signal a compound sentence (a sentence that needs a comma to separate two ideas). So in a lot of instances, the comma serves no purpose and actually splits up a dependent clause (sentence fragment) from an independent clause.

First note: Putting a dollar sign in front of a number will cause the phrase to read "100 dollars" anyway, so you're actually saying "100 dollars PokéDollars" here.

Second note: Dialogue is always really tricky to punctuate. In this case, because the dialogue tag is happening mid-sentence, you'll actually need to follow "PokéDollars" with a comma and not a period because you want to signal to the reader that the sentence doesn't end right there. This guide might help explain things a bit better.

But I will say, either way, that I'm entertained by this bet.

Always be careful about your paragraphing, and don't mix characters' interactions with other characters' dialogue. In other words, if one character does something, you'll want to start a new paragraph if the other character speaks.

For example, in this case, it's unclear who said, "Bring it on!" The reason why is because you start the paragraph off with something Silver does, which causes the phrase to read as if Silver's saying it. However, Miror B. steps up to do something and concludes the paragraph with his own dialogue, which means the speaker of that first line is completely ambiguous. I'm thinking you meant to have Miror B. say it because he's definitely the speaker of the quote at the end of the paragraph, but it could also be that Silver is saying it and that you meant to have a paragraph break right after that. (That possibility's also enforced by the fact that he's the one who sent out a Pokémon first.)

The first paragraph is an example of what you should do when it comes to description; the second is the kind of thing you'll want to avoid as you improve. The reason why is because if you just leave everything as "Pokémon used Move," then the readers can't really visualize what's going on. Yes, they know what these attacks look like in canon, but it doesn't really help them get into your world and feel as if they're watching this epic battle in progress. It's always a good idea to describe the move in detail somewhere along the line. If you must identify it by name, you can do so either after the description or through the mouth of a trainer.

So as an even clearer example, the first paragraph really works because the reader can imagine the jet of scalding, steaming water flying towards Crobat, and they can envision poison seeping out of pores to coat the wing. (Of course, it might work a bit differently according to your own headcanon, but that's how I'm picturing it.) After that, we can see Crobat diving at Ludicolo to strike it with a wing. It could be a bit more detailed to bring out what's going on, but it's definitely a good start.

Either way, though, I'm super-amused by the fact that Ludicolo went down in one hit, and I'm equally amused by Miror B's reaction. I'm not too familiar with how Miror B acts in XD (and therefore, post-canon), so I'm not sure if that's true to his character or not. Still, it was amusing, and that's all that really matters at this point.

I have to ask. Is this game-verse Red or Special-verse Red? Because if this is game-verse Red, then I'm extremely amused by the thought of him yelling, which is to say that's probably not particularly in-character for him. I can see Special-verse Red yelling, however, but to be honest, I'm not as familiar with the manga as I should be.

Meanwhile, if it's an OC named Red, you'll want to be careful. Same thing goes with Silver, who actually outright expressed in the games the fact that he would never join Team Rocket. It's generally frowned upon to take canon characters and turn them into OCs (original characters – as in, characters that you created yourself) because the practice really misses the point of who those characters are. That and it just doesn't make sense. Using characters as a vessel for your own creations means that their personalities don't matter as much. Those same characters can be replaced, and the entire plot wouldn't be affected. In the end, it could reflect badly on your characterization because it implies that you're either not brave enough to come up with an OC from scratch or that you can't be arsed to research the characters. Not saying that you're either. Just saying that a reader could jump to those conclusions, especially given the fact that Silver and Red are both immensely popular with fanon that's pretty ingrained in the fandom to the point where going against it is a lot like saying Ash is a scientific genius.

Insert mental image of trollface Gengar here. I already like this Gengar.

Wat.

Seriously, though, it seems like you've got a one-off joke here that feels a little unnecessary, especially with how brief the rest of the sentence is. I mean, I think the reference is cool, but with how fast this paragraph is going, it's hard to really appreciate it. The phrase "Chuck Norris" is just deserving of absolute magnificence. Probably a few angels descending. And maybe a lengthy description about beards. But in any case, yeah, it feels like you brought it up but didn't really take full advantage of it.

In fact, "the gym leader" sort of feels a little tacked on. This goes especially for the fact that Chuck isn't the only gym leader in Johto, and they're not in Cianwood. So, it's rather strange that you'd need to clarify that he's a gym leader, meaning the Chuck Norris joke seems a little pointless because it's like you're saying, "Here's a joke! NO WAIT, TAKING IT BACK FOR SERIOUSNESS!" I'm not sure how to clarify this a bit more because I know this doesn't make perfect sense, but I think the best way to say it is that the Chuck Norris joke feels like it's being cut short because you feel the need to clarify things for the reader. So, silliness is dropped in lieu of serious explaining.

I also sort of have to headdesk at the reference to someone else's fic (within the same fandom, in any case – cross-fandom usually ends up being pop culture references) because I'm always uncomfortable with ideas that are taken out of context and put to use in a completely different setting, especially if you didn't get permission to do it. The reason why is because it causes your work to seem a little less creative because you didn't really come up with the idea yourself. (And in some cases, it also has the unfortunate implication of trying to force something that you found funny in another fic to conform to your context. In other words, it just doesn't end up saying good things about what you're doing.)

I'd say insert "Chuck's" in front of "Hitmonchan" in order to clarify that the Primeape is Gold's. Otherwise, probably because I got focused on the phrase "Chuck Norris," I first assumed that the Primeape was Chuck's instead.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do see a lot of potential here, and hey, I can't argue with zombie Pokémon. In fact, I have to reiterate for the umpteenth time. It's an awesome premise. (Zombie. Pokémon. Enough said.) It's just that the delivery could use a bit of tweaking.

For one, I sort of felt that the canon characters you were using were slightly OOC – Silver and Red, at least; Gold and Chuck didn't get too much detail yet, while I'm never sure about Miror B's characterization. While it works for Adventure of Adventureness, the main issue with this fic is that it teeters between trying to take itself seriously (with a focus on epic battles and the badassery of the characters involved) and not (the Chuck Norris jokes and reference to MM's fic in general). You tended to rush towards the end of the first chapter, so you didn't really have time to dwell on any of those jokes (especially the Chuck Norris one), so it just feels like off-handed references rather than something we should be laughing at.

Moreover, there were also a few issues in terms of grammar, and on top of that, the description tended to be inconsistent. Don't settle for "Pokémon used Move," and always remember to be careful about proofreading, even if you're doing this as a hobby. The smoother the style, the easier it is for everyone to get into your writing. (Also, as a minor but related side note, you may want to look into getting your title fixed. Because your title is an advertisement for the kind of quality a reader would expect to find in the actual story, misspelling it is usually not a good sign to them.)

That said, not too bad. I'll keep an eye on this one because of its premise.

Thank you very much for the review! :D

I fixed all the obvious mistakes you pointed out, I HATE TYPOS AND I SPELLED THE FLIPPING TITLE OF THE STORY WRONG BLAH.

I'll read both links you recommended. I'll remove the MM reference, but I AM KEEPING HALFRO. The zombie Pokémon came up when I was watching Jaws. Don't ask me why, it just did.

I killed off Gold because he annoyed me. He had no personality that I could fit in. Red took the LET'S SCREAM FOR NO GOD DAMN REASON role, so yeah.

I chose Red because he was the champion. Not much else, that's really it. I chose Silver because he seem badass enough to be added into a zombie fanfic, and why he joined will be shown in chapter 3.

I am going to try and read my work out loud to myself now.

-Vali ;153;

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Well, I noticed the random serious to comedic tone in the first chapter when Miror B. appeared and... so did Chuck Norris... but it got more serious in the second chapter when Red broke the fourth wall. And Gold's death seems very random.

Vali

King of Beets
Well, I noticed the random serious to comedic tone in the first chapter when Miror B. appeared and... so did Chuck Norris... but it got more serious in the second chapter when Red broke the fourth wall. And Gold's death seems very random.

This is a zombie Pokémon fanfic. I KILL WHO I WANT *evil laugh*

That said, I have no idea what happened between today and yesterday. After I reread them, I do see what you mean. I'll try not to do that again.

Shiny Zek

Triforce of Wisdom
Hey, cuz!

I really like the idea of a zombie fic. Me and Resh are shoving each other to read your fic. Can you add us to the PM list?

Shanks
Zek

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Oh yes, that reminds me. Could you add me to your PM list? This fic is very interesting but it needs some polishing and I'm hoping I can help you do just that.