• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Astro Boy - There's a trailer now(srsly)

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet

SkyBouquetPlatina

[sarcasm]I did not see Freddy Highmore being casted from a mile away hurtling towards me like a sixteen-wheeler.[/sarcasm]

Seems like Pixar stylized animation, not quite up to that par though. At least he's got some pants on. Not bad. Got a way to convince me to see it, but a good start.

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
Oh MY GOD. NICHOLAS CAGE :O.

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Oh god, the animation is disgusting. D: Why did they have to make it 3D? Why?

Also WTF @ the cast list.

BRB, watching the 2003 anime in an attempt to clean my brain.

-;157;

LittleRedRodeo

Candy Apple Red
I actually like the 3D animation. If you compare it to other 3D animated movies coming out these days (that are NOT Pixar), it looks really sharp.

People complaining are really made of fail. It's pretty decent in my book and I believe it's going to be a great movie.

Although I like Astro Boy with the shorties.

Last edited:

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
What's so bad about it being in 3D? Considering they're able to nicely transition Tezuka's art style into a slightly different medium of animation (as opposed to 2D animation where they could just do a "copy and paste" job of the original manga'sart), I see no room for complaining.

Be grateful that this isn't going to be yet another live action movie, about some shirtless cyborg boy (though I really wish this production would be about THE shirtless cyborg boy we all know and love!).

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
The 3-D is alright, though I hate some of the over-proportioned people that are used in many 3-D films.

Freddy Highmore? You would think that they could get someone a bit better. Still, he's been doing a lot of roles that people may recognize; it is often good to have recognizable voice actors. Some audiences will go to see movies just based on cast members.

Nicholas Cage isn't as bad as some of you are making him out to be. He's not the best, but it could be worse.

He has pants now? Looks like Michael Jackson owes me $20.

BCVM22

What's the over/under on uninitiated moviegoers who see this trailer and say "this Astro Boy film Pixar made looks kinda weird"?

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner

Uh, because there'd be no other way to mimic Tezuka's art style, you silly goose? Actually, it's very high-caliber; not quite Pixar standard, but looks nice.

Can't say I was expecting Matt Lucas on the cast, though. That was the WTF factor for me.

The Burnt Shadow

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
The graphics are okay, might keep an eye out for this. For some reason, Astro Boy reminds me of that guy from Meet the Robinsons...

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
What's the over/under on uninitiated moviegoers who see this trailer and say "this Astro Boy film Pixar made looks kinda weird"?

Mistaking it for a Mega Man rip off is far more likely. It's... it's happened before.

From my searching upon the internet, I've discovered a few tidbits regarding the cast list.

Nicholas Cage is Dr. Tenma, why this is so I just can't grasp.
Bill Nighy voices Dr. Elefun, Dr. O'Shay for fans of the 2003 series, which I can most certainly dig.
Nathan Lane is Ham Egg, another choice I can get behind.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It looks pretty good at a glance. I don't care if it's CGI, as long as it's faithful to the source material. And there's no reason why that should be hard to do.

I won't assume anything, but at least it appears like they're putting forth some effort in this one, unlike certain live-action Anime adaptations.

BCVM22

It looks pretty good at a glance. I don't care if it's CGI, as long as it's faithful to the source material. And there's no reason why that should be hard to do.

I won't assume anything, but at least it appears like they're putting forth some effort in this one, unlike certain live-action Anime adaptations.

No no no, haven't you heard? This film has NICHOLAS CAGE in it and everyone knows that casting him for a vocal role in an Astro Boy adaptation is just the worst thing to do, ever.

Clearly this film was doomed before it began.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
He always had pants (but I was watching he dub)?

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
No no no, haven't you heard? This film has NICHOLAS CAGE in it and everyone knows that casting him for a vocal role in an Astro Boy adaptation is just the worst thing to do, ever.

Clearly this film was doomed before it began.

Your sarcasm is noted, but you can't honestly think Cage is a fitting choice for Tenma can you? His voice just doesn't fit the character at all, and he's an average actor at best. I'm not saying he'll destroy the film, but judging by most of his roles that's just poor casting.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Your sarcasm is noted, but you can't honestly think Cage is a fitting choice for Tenma can you?

There's cautious optimism, and then there's contrarian stupidity.

I'll let you guess what hope for Nicholas Cage's role falls under.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
There's cautious optimism, and then there's contrarian stupidity.

I'll let you guess what hope for Nicholas Cage's role falls under.
Mental instability?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Look at it this way. If it ends up being good, then that's great. But if it ends up being awful, eh... We've got something new to make fun of.