• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Atheism is "cool"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
How did it give birth to most of those things? Scientific Method? Are you kidding me?

7 tyranitars

there is no way you can proof if it would or would not hav happened whitout religion
since the people could have gotten to that point whitout it or perhaps not even close

Gary9021

I am a Christian. Do I publicly display my love of God? Yes. Do I force my religion onto other people? No.

But what I find is funny, is that atheists say that Christians shove our religion down their throats - Jehovah' Witnesses/ Mormons maybe, but I know I don't. The only time I talk about religion to other people of another religion is when they bring it up first. Then I laugh at them as they have nothing left to say =3.

And, one more thing...
'A' means 'not'. 'Gnostic' in I think Latin, means not knowledgeable. Think about it.

EDIT:::
Can you prove God? No. You cannot prove him to a 100% assurance that under no circumstances someone can tell you otherwise. But that's not the point. The point is that you believe in God. That you know in your heart that he is real.

And for the "money making scheme" bull, all I have to say is that under pure circumstances, a church keeps about 30% of the money. Even the church I'm at, a very poor church, gives away an upwards of 50% of the money we raise every week. So while some churches may have exploited people, know that some churches won't and never will.

Finally, I have one question. What do you have to lose? If you are an atheist, then what do you have to lose by believing in God? If you die, and I'm right, then woo-hoo you're in Heaven. If I was wrong, then nothing. What could you possibly have to lose? Better safe than sorry. ;)
Bai now.

Last edited:

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
And, one more thing...
'A' means 'not'. 'Gnostic' in I think Latin, means not knowledgeable. Think about it.
...They make a knowledge claim about God's existence rather than a belief claim?

Finally, I have one question. What do you have to lose? If you are an atheist, then what do you have to lose by believing in God? If you die, and I'm right, then woo-hoo you're in Heaven. If I was wrong, then nothing. What could you possibly have to lose? Better safe than sorry. ;)
What if Wicca's right? What if Scientology's right? Kemetic religion? Nordic racial paganism? LaVeyan Satanism? What if the last correct people on Earth were slain by Moses and the Levites?

Hell, what if only one kind of Christianity is correct? What if only those belonging to the Church of Cyprus go to heaven? Or what if only those belonging to the Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are saved?

There are so many more choices besides just "believe or not." Also, I've often heard that it isn't a matter of choosing to believe. Some simply can't.

Finally, in light of the above, do you really think God's so foolish and/or desperate as to believe that anyone who says the believe in a god not only actually believes, and not only believes in Him specifically, but truly loves Him and wants to/does carry out His will? o_O

Last edited:

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
I am a Christian. Do I publicly display my love of God? Yes. Do I force my religion onto other people? No.

'kay.

But what I find is funny, is that atheists say that Christians shove our religion down their throats - Jehovah' Witnesses/ Mormons maybe, but I know I don't.

No one's saying everyone shoves their religion down our throats.

The only time I talk about religion to other people of another religion is when they bring it up first. Then I laugh at them as they have nothing left to say =3.

Bit arrogant, aren't we?

And, one more thing...

So... not not knowledgeable?

But you're wrong. You got the meaning of the "a-" prefix right, but the "gnostic" part of the word is derived from the Greek word gnostos, which approximately means "knowable". So "not knowable". And wouldn't you know it, that's what agnosticism is - those who believe it's not possible (or admit ignorance) to know for sure whether or not a higher power exists.

Can you prove God? No. You cannot prove him to a 100% assurance that under no circumstances someone can tell you otherwise.

That doesn't logically follow that God exists. I have an invisible, intangible elephant in my room right now. I can't prove he's there, but you can't prove 100% that he's not there, so you should believe in his existence.

See how dumb that sounds?

The point is that you believe in God. That you know in your heart that he is real.

Are you telling me what I believe in? Because I am pretty ****ing sure I know what I believe better than you do, pal.

And for the "money making scheme" bull, all I have to say is that under pure circumstances, a church keeps about 30% of the money. Even the church I'm at, a very poor church, gives away an upwards of 50% of the money we raise every week. So while some churches may have exploited people, know that some churches won't and never will.

They still make money. Also, I don't know how it works seeing as I'm not religious, but isn't there something about a tax exempt status for certain churches or something, at least in the US? Anyone clear that up for me, please?

Finally, I have one question. What do you have to lose?

Precious time worshiping and praying to a god that probably doesn't even exist. Donations to the church I would go to. My taste buds from having to eat those stupid Eucharist crackers.

Okay, that last one was a joke, but you get what I mean.

If you are an atheist, then what do you have to lose by believing in God? If you die, and I'm right, then woo-hoo you're in Heaven. If I was wrong, then nothing. What could you possibly have to lose? Better safe than sorry. ;)

Pascal's Wager was disproved long ago, pal.

What makes you think that out of all the thousands of religions out there, yours is the correct one? How do you know that any religion is the right one? Maybe there is a god, but it's not a god of any existing religion. Or maybe there's no god, period. If, through some miracle, you do get the one true religion, do you worship it the right way? Is it open to interpretation, or do you have to take its holy book completely literally? What applies nowadays? What doesn't?

Furthermore, would your god even be willing to give you eternal paradise if the only reason you worshiped him was because you wanted to get into heaven? Imagine you found out your best friend only liked you because you lent him money all the time. I doubt you'd be happy about that.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Finally, I have one question. What do you have to lose? If you are an atheist, then what do you have to lose by believing in God? If you die, and I'm right, then woo-hoo you're in Heaven. If I was wrong, then nothing. What could you possibly have to lose? Better safe than sorry.
You really think Jesus is going to accept people who believe just for the sake of being safe?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Finally, I have one question. What do you have to lose? If you are an atheist, then what do you have to lose by believing in God? If you die, and I'm right, then woo-hoo you're in Heaven. If I was wrong, then nothing. What could you possibly have to lose? Better safe than sorry.
You really think Jesus is going to accept people who believe just for the sake of being safe?

Leaf Storm

Goldenrod City
Yeah, atheism is 'cool' now? Haha, I guess that's why gallup says 52% of Americans wouldn't vote for an atheist to be president because she/he is an atheist.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Drunken Squirrel
I don't think it's really a fad, I think it's just the places you visit online. I'm a member of quite a few forums, and most of them are populated with atheists or people that are simply unsure. You don't find many Christians on 4chan for example.

Some people could have just been trolling you as well; it's easy to switch religious affiliations on the Internet afterall :)

Hound00m

Devils Never Cry
Someone mentioned how agnosticism was actually the latest "trend", and I kind of have to agree, even though I would probably describe my current attitudes towards religion as agnostic >_>'

I'm pretty sure people dislike religion because they have been preached to, or have been told that it is the only way, and I'm pretty sure no one likes being told that something is an absolute.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
You must be talking about me.

I think there is just too much negativity associated with Atheism simply because of the popularity and political correctness of Agnosticism.

Armobyss

Yeah man, being athiest is the **** bruv :p

No, in all seriousness, I myself don't believe in God cause I couldn't get reasonable answers to questions I had of religion.

VioletMantis

Tranced Out
I'm not religious, nor am I atheist. If anything, I suppose I'll dub it as spiritual, because religion cannot FULLY define truth and neither can science. Think about it, if no one ever told you about Jesus or Buddha or Mohammad what would you believe. What will see see as the ultimate source of power? The answer my friends...the Sun, for you see it's the source of everything in this world and without it's energy, everything would cease to exist. Energy is everything and everything is energy.

Profesco

gone gently
^ Our solar system is heliocentric, but the universe is not heliocentric with respect to our sun. Our sun is not an ultimate anything, either for the purpose of answering spiritual questions or scientific ones. Sounded nice, though.

See? Atheists aren't "cool," they're nerdy know-it-alls.

Anyway,

Profesco used Hi Bump Kick!

Status
Not open for further replies.