• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Atheist & Agnostic Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profesco

gone gently
Hi everyone. I think I want to join.

I'm on the fence between agnostic theism and Christianity. My family's kept me in a very strong Christian environment my whole life, but recently I've started to find the whole concept a bit...silly. It's not hard to look in the Bible and find contradictions and false statements, and tenets that no one or very few people still hold today. I don't want to disappoint my family and just completely drop an affirmative religion, so I tend to shy away from the subject. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation, so I think I'll join this club.

Oh, well! Welcome, Ryubane. I'm really glad to hear you're starting to subject your beliefs to scrutiny and criticism. Regardless of what you end up concluding, as long as you're thinking critically for yourself, you've got my applause. I also hope that the kinds of things we talk about here will help you to better understand theistic and atheistic philosophy both, and that your contributions will improve our understanding too. ^_^

I'd say i was more of a deist then anything else

It's amusing - most of the traditional arguments for the existence of God can only be said to support deism at best (not that any of them are conclusive or convincing arguments), and certainly no personal and complicated beings like the Western religions all claim. Comparatively speaking, deism may just be more realistic than Western theism.

It'll be neat to have the contributions of a deist to our discussions. =)

Pashtun

I'll contribute where i can :)

I wasn't actually expecting to find religous issues on a Pokemon forum, and now im seeing people with sig's blaring their love of religion or lack of it

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
In case you guys didn't see on the old group, theres a couple of Atheist Youtubers that haven't really taken off yet. I think we should help em out. Their channel is called LogicInVita. Heres a link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LogicinVita

7 tyranitars

Welcome all old people and all new people!

Profesco

gone gently
I'll contribute where i can :)

I wasn't actually expecting to find religous issues on a Pokemon forum, and now im seeing people with sig's blaring their love of religion or lack of it

You know what, I think it's a manifestation of the really high reactivity right now between faith and atheism. Politics in the US seems to be in this exaggerated battle between the conservative Christian influence and the secular activism, and this has transferred over to England too. Anyway, the rhetoric is so well inflamed by media, and the internet is so full of loud voices, that both sides might feel compelled to profess their beliefs or criticize those of the other side as fiercely as if they were being personally confronted. Just speculation on my part, though.

In other news, one of my final paper assignments is a philosophical critique/review of either The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, or The End of Faith! It's going to be tough, but it's pretty exciting. ^_^

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
You know what, I think it's a manifestation of the really high reactivity right now between faith and atheism. Politics in the US seems to be in this exaggerated battle between the conservative Christian influence and the secular activism, and this has transferred over to England too. Anyway, the rhetoric is so well inflamed by media, and the internet is so full of loud voices, that both sides might feel compelled to profess their beliefs or criticize those of the other side as fiercely as if they were being personally confronted. Just speculation on my part, though.

In other news, one of my final paper assignments is a philosophical critique/review of either The God Delusion, God Is Not Great, or The End of Faith! It's going to be tough, but it's pretty exciting. ^_^

Thats the fun part. The media has popularized the "clash" and many are starting to become in contact with new ideas, which is for the most part, a logically beneficial thing. It opens peoples minds

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
I wouldn't mind reading that review, Profesco =P

Saberu

Hello. I'm from the old thread. I'm joining this one.
Another introduction? I'm an agnostic-raised Jew/Unitarian Universalist. Both theists and atheists keep me on my toes. I don't understand deism, because I've barely heard of it. I'd love it explained to me. I learn quickly.

If you want to practice your arguments, I'm a decent debate partner.

Profesco

gone gently
Thats the fun part. The media has popularized the "clash" and many are starting to become in contact with new ideas, which is for the most part, a logically beneficial thing. It opens peoples minds

I agree completely that improving people's access to new ideas is wonderful, but I don't really think getting it done via the "infotainment" news media or the internet (edit: insofar as young people experience it, e.g. Youtube, Urban Dictionary, LiveJournal, etc.) is the best way. How much of "internet atheism" as we hear it described by Christians is polite, good ideas compared to how much is "God is stupid and irrational, lawl"? I'm not confident there's a 50-50 split. If I'm right and much of the fundamentalist Christian vocalizing is a reactionary defense mechanism to the perceived threat of advancing atheism, then the kinds of comments most young Christians are seeing on the internet or that make the news are going to make them want to unequivocally defend their faith from mean atheists rather than take a moment to step back and review it critically.

That's why I'm disappointed that the US news system so often delivers this issue as though it were a battle. They frame the issue so that critiquing faith is understood as attacking faith by the average conservative. And when someone feels they're being attacked, they automatically get defensive. There's little that's less conducive to open enquiry than knee-jerk defensiveness.

I wouldn't mind reading that review, Profesco =P

Haha, if you say so. I'll try to remember to bring it here when I'm done. =P

Hello. I'm from the old thread. I'm joining this one.
Another introduction? I'm an agnostic-raised Jew/Unitarian Universalist. Both theists and atheists keep me on my toes. I don't understand deism, because I've barely heard of it. I'd love it explained to me. I learn quickly.

If you want to practice your arguments, I'm a decent debate partner.

Deism is a kind of belief in an unspecific god - your standard "first cause." This deity is not personal, does not intervene in the mortal world, and doesn't demand things of people. It's just the being responsible for making there be something rather than nothing. Once the laws that govern the universe were set up, this being stepped back and let it all work itself it out.

(The Cliffnotes deism, haha. :p)

Last edited:

Darato

(o,..,o)
Sorry for my lack of being here. Had a couple of issues to deal with offline. Those on my FB should know about them.

Anyways how about a nice small topic?

What do you plan to do on Easter Sunday?

I'm going out to eat with my parents, my aunt, cousin, and a family friend. My sister won't go if I'm going cause it's a religious holiday and I'm not religious.

Just to rub it in, here is where we'll be eating :D

L.F.D.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Easter's nothing much in India, so...not really doing much.

But HOH-LEE MOH-LEE, that looks like a bloody great restaurant.

7 tyranitars

Yeah having some nice dinner with the family aswell. :p

Pokemon Geek

Doom Trainer
Just been doing normal things as usual. As i am not religious easter is just a nice excuse for a vaccation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Had a nice dinner with my family this easter.
No childish Egg-hunts this year

7 tyranitars

my whole family isn't really that religious so we just use it as an excuse for good food ;).

Schade

Metallic Wonder
... There is a religious background to easter?

Xiang

Sweet! Now I know what Agnosticism is. I guess I can call myself an Agnostic Atheist now.
I'm glad I can find other people like me even on here. I'd like to join :)

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
... There is a religious background to easter?

Apparently Jesus, through some necromancy, came back from the dead, and that day is called Easter. Where the rabbit part comes from, I have no idea.

Yep, a religious background.

I had to spend the day at the beach and work, so meh :p

celestial phantom

If I remember easter is a collision of the day that jesus was resurrected after he was crucified and a pagan holiday celebrating the new life of spring. All the religious stuff regarding easter comes from jesus' cruifixtion, while all the little trinkets that come with it are symbolized by the pagans. Rabbits represented the new life of the season as does birds and the eggs. The cross and other "spiritual" items of the church like bells and candles have meaning referring to jesus as well. Nothing too spectacular really, just a celebration for most normal people. However, in religion it marks a season/period of lent and other long time periods of religious hoop-lah. Anyway my family normally gets together for a big meal but today was a normal day. I kept my distance from them and they from me like normal.

7 tyranitars

Apparently Jesus, through some necromancy, came back from the dead, and that day is called Easter. Where the rabbit part comes from, I have no idea.

Yep, a religious background.

I had to spend the day at the beach and work, so meh :p

Dude I was about to say the same thing X_X. And everyone knows the rabbit part comes from the fact that it is a secret clue petrus the first pope was a rabbit. (Yes I saw that South Park episode yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.