• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Atheist & Agnostic Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volts

Volt Tackle
If you had to chose a Religion what would it be and why?

Grew up in a strict Baptist family, because I didn't believe the way they did, I was disowned at the age of 12. So I don't think I can answer this question. Religious people are to stubborn to talk to anyways, or that's how I see it.

JDavidC

Some religious people are too stubborn to talk to anyway.
Fixed that for you. Not all religious people are too stubborn to talk to. I'm not going to answer the current question as I already have a religion (a minority group within it though). I was wondering if I could post a detailed critique on some religions though. I had hoped to start a debate thread for people to talk about it, but the mods there don't seem keen on what may happen if a religion thread pops up.

Profesco

gone gently
Fixed that for you. Not all religious people are too stubborn to talk to. I'm not going to answer the current question as I already have a religion (a minority group within it though). I was wondering if I could post a detailed critique on some religions though. I had hoped to start a debate thread for people to talk about it, but the mods there don't seem keen on what may happen if a religion thread pops up.

This reminds me of an amusing Dawkins quote. To paraphrase: We're all atheists about most gods, but some of us go one god further.

I don't know quite how to assess the etiquette of a believer in one religion using an atheist venue to criticize other religions... seems disingenuous, maybe (not the right word, alas)? But I do know that we welcome any and all theological or rational discussions, and we don't turn people away if their beliefs differ from ours. Come to think of it, this thread is probably the only place on the forum you'd be able to post a critique of some religion without it being spam of some sort.

Darato is the owner, so it's his decision. But you can bring your critiques to a VM convo with me if you like, JDavidC. I'm curious about what you've got to say. =P

Reactions: R2J

JDavidC

I might take you up on that. I'll point out that one of the religions I plan to critique is my own religion.

Profesco

gone gently
Darato suggests you PM an example of one of the discussions you're thinking about to him and to me first - he wants to see what you have in mind before making a decision. (He left a VM on my profile if you want to confirm.)

R2J

R.I.P #31

None, I don't believe I have to live a sorten way to be accepted.

Not all religious people are too stubborn to talk to.

Most are, considering they want let things die. Instead they annoy the hell out of you until you admit your wrong. Really, its like talking to a brick wall.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Religious people are to stubborn to talk to anyways, or that's how I see it.
Your right about some people, but not everyone with Religion is too stubborn to talk to. Your probably just talking to those individuals who are so stuck in their ways, they refuse to acknowledge anything you might have to say.

Which is why for the most part I refuse to discuss both my beliefs and about religion with my friends. Even worse situation my friend I'm closest too is a major Christian. I've noticed he has a bad attitude towards those that don't believe in the same religion has him. He doesn't say anything bad he talks calmly and politely which is a good thing. But you can just see it that he's disgusted with your beliefs just because there different from his :/

I honestly can't answer this question due to my lack of knowledge of other religions.

For the most part I don't care what Religion your in, or what your beliefs are. The one thing that I dislike is when people in their religion force their beliefs down other people's throats. Honestly I can't stand it when people do that, it's great you believe so greatly in your religious beliefs however you don't have the right to force it upon others who think differently.
The proper approach is just to briefly show the person or discuss about it if the person is comfortable. After that let the person decide on their own.

Darato

(o,..,o)
So in one of my classes we have people from all kinds of religious back grounds, and everything, and it's really fun to hear about their point of views on others. So far none are fighting, and irc one is in an arranged marriage.

L.F.D.

Kamran11

So in one of my classes we have people from all kinds of religious back grounds, and everything, and it's really fun to hear about their point of views on others. So far none are fighting, and irc one is in an arranged marriage.

L.F.D.

What type of class is that ? And may i ask you guys do you think it makes sense for me to not be attached to any organized religion aswell as atheism or agnostic. Pretty much anything like that. I would say you could relate me to a n agnostic in a way but i dont wouldn't attach myself to any of these ?

Darato

(o,..,o)
Just a reading class, but we just talk with each other.

And its really to each his to do what they want and chose what they want to be part of.

L.F.D.

Profesco

gone gently
Seems like maybe we will not have the opportunity to enjoy JDavidC's company, alas. But as consolation, here's a funny image:

Clickety-clack!

Darato

(o,..,o)
Picture goes along with what I wanted to say Profesco

Let's say a 1000 or so years from now we get a new set of religions; since for the most part ours are based off old books we found and people's reactions to them, do you think Comic Books could become the next set of religions?

Personally depending on how life goes I think in one way or another it could happen. If we were to have some big worldwide thing like nuke war or something, and life reformed or an alien race visiting after we all pass away. I could see them mistaken it for our Gods. I mean we have tons of Comics on them, hold big events such as Comic Con, make more and more movies off of them, their symbols are everywhere from baby to adult clothing, households supplies, all kinds of action figures, and even as medicine bags for kids in hospitals, that could be seen as a way of praying.

If nothing like that happens, than will just be internet cults or something that get worse and flame each other.

L.F.D.

Douliekmudkipz

Hey, where did all my fellow atheists go? I happened upon this club accidentally, but nobody's been here for months. Oh, well.

Anyway, if I had to choose a religion, it wouldn't be any that I've hear of--I find all of them absurd with nothing going for them. I would make up my own--something with Pokemon, perhaps?

Yeah, bumping dead clubs isn't really allowed so this will have to be closed. Feel free to remake the club!

Status
Not open for further replies.