• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Atheist & Agnostic Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darato

(o,..,o)
Secondly, I made it on Richard Dawkins' website! https://richarddawkins.net/2014/10/taeuk-nam-converts-2158/

Like how you went though your change into it and saw changes in other places as well.

Speaking of Richard. Would anyone love to see a debate between him and Ray Comfort? For those that don't know him YT him to get an idea of his debates. He keeps asking Richard for a debate on evolution VS creationism, but he won't do it.

Personally I'd like to see it to see it, but you can see the difference in them and why Richard wouldn't want to.

L.F.D.

fitzy909

Just another guy
That sounds like an interesting debate. I doubt it would happen, but hearing both people's views would be nice.

Also, I thought I should bring this up, but in October last year we had a lecture at school form theologian Dr Peter Vardy. It was very interesting, as he spoke about many ethical issues, such as technology dehumanising war and euthanasia. Really interesting stuff, especially for my philosophy (technivally RS, we call it philosophy) GCSE.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
Like how you went though your change into it and saw changes in other places as well.

Speaking of Richard. Would anyone love to see a debate between him and Ray Comfort? For those that don't know him YT him to get an idea of his debates. He keeps asking Richard for a debate on evolution VS creationism, but he won't do it.

Personally I'd like to see it to see it, but you can see the difference in them and why Richard wouldn't want to.

L.F.D.

hmm... i've never heard of those two. i'll have to take a look into them.

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
Hello~

I see there are very interesting discussions over here, and I would like to join even being a Roman Catholic. <.<
However, I sympathize a lot with religious pluralism, besides being gay and a scientist wannabe (evidences ftw!)...

edit: maybe I would be considered "agnostic theist"?

Last edited:

Darato

(o,..,o)
Welcome Tattooed Tooth

Also, I thought I should bring this up, but in October last year we had a lecture at school form theologian Dr Peter Vardy. It was very interesting, as he spoke about many ethical issues, such as technology dehumanising war and euthanasia. Really interesting stuff, especially for my philosophy (technivally RS, we call it philosophy) GCSE.

I wanna see something like that in person someday. Seems like you can get a lot out of it.

hmm... i've never heard of those two. i'll have to take a look into them.

I would. There very good to know. One Darwin could be counted as the pope in a lot of ways, and Comfort, Comfort is kind of like a stereotype blonde of religion.

Does anyone have any Facebook groups for Atheism that are set just in their area? I have Atheist and twice a week we get together for coffee and we also do fundraisers and other charity events.

L.F.D.

taeuknam

Since I don't want our club to die, I thought I'd ask about what you all thought about elavatorgate.
Basically, Feminist Skeptic Rebecca Watson was asked for a date in an elevator, she said that was creepy on the internet, and Richard Dawkins asked why, sparking an internet war among atheists.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Since I don't want our club to die, I thought I'd ask about what you all thought about elavatorgate.
Basically, Feminist Skeptic Rebecca Watson was asked for a date in an elevator, she said that was creepy on the internet, and Richard Dawkins asked why, sparking an internet war among atheists.

Rebecca Watson's flavour of feminism frankly sickens me. I feel like she's being intentionally divisive, and teaming up with P.Z. Meyers to change the very definition of atheism is just wrong in my opinion. I agree with a lot of the Atheism Plus agenda but I don't agree with all of it, and I don't appreciate having No True Scotsmen fallacies thrown at me if I reject part of the Plusser's agenda, like the overblown idea of feminine supremacy and female victimhood that Watson likes to spread. I'm all for gender equality, I'm not for making up imaginary problems, fabricating statistics, and blaming society's problems on one sex.

I think Watson is an attention *****, and I think she deserved the negative backlash she got and more. I don't even think she truly believes what she says, she just wants the attention, and she gets it.

Darato

(o,..,o)
Can't say I know too much about Rebecca Watson, but from the few things I just looked up does sound like she's like the four year old sitting there on the playground screaming look at me, and only me. No one gets what I face.

1: It's not as much as women at all, but men face issues as well.
2: If your skin is a different color tan white, even more so black you'll face a lot ore trouble.
3: Every group of people in this world is going to have issues with something or the other at one point. Doesn't make it right, but its lie. No one is alone
4: Sounds like she's putting all men in the group of pigs, who do that to women. The irony is strong in this one

L.F.D.

Darato

(o,..,o)
Sorry for the lateness of this.

Welcome to the family were happy to have you.

Care to share with us what lead to your finding your way to Atheism?

L.F.D.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Sorry for the lateness of this.

Welcome to the family were happy to have you.

Care to share with us what lead to your finding your way to Atheism?

L.F.D.

To be honest, I always thought religion was a bunch of baloney. From a relatively early age I required science to explain things to me.

Darato

(o,..,o)
Ah, an early in life Atheist.

A lot of us have religion background, some that were hard that helped lead us here.

Do you find it easy to be one in your area?

Zora

perpetually tired
I've been meaning to make a "I'm joining here's who I am post" for quite some time, but never really found said time to make it.

So here I go.

I generally say I'm non-religious; however (negative) atheist is probably an accurate label in most circumstances. Whenever discussion about divinity get abstract, however, I tend to go more to ignostic (not agnostic; ignostic) territory to the point whether or not I accept said version of divinity exists is ultimately contingent on how they defined divinity in the first place. For example, if someone defines divinity as the sum total of everything, how exactly does one take a position on that? But, ignoring that technicality, I'm pretty much as run-of-the-mill of an atheist you can get.

That said, I'd be lying if I didn't mention my study of science (specifically physics) had nothing to do with it. Which is to say that physics has informed by atheism. Studying science changes your world view. I really dislike the notion of absolute truth; I just find it to be a meaningless concept. What exactly does it mean for something to be true, is quite frankly, a seemingly impossible question to answer. I'm comfortable relying on models that best fit the data, understanding that they are fallible. In the case of divinity, however, I just find any meaningful model lacking. For most people who go through sciences, I'd imagine a similar mindset occurs. We never talk about religion; nevertheless, the correlation between non-religiosity and scientific education is well established. I'm not sure if it's a matter of disinterest, the fact that discussing religion in any sort of *negative* context is considered taboo, or a mix of both; granted, I'd wager it has more to do with disinterest.

Anyway, that's all I'll say for now. I'll probably pop in now and then to give my thoughts on discussions as they arise; that said, I'll probably be a rare sighting. School and work keeps me busy.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm asking to join the club.

Last edited:

taeuknam

I've been meaning to make a "I'm joining here's who I am post" for quite some time, but never really found said time to make it.

So here I go.

I generally say I'm non-religious; however (negative) atheist is probably an accurate label in most circumstances. Whenever discussion about divinity get abstract, however, I tend to go more to ignostic (not agnostic; ignostic) territory to the point whether or not I accept said version of divinity exists is ultimately contingent on how they defined divinity in the first place. For example, if someone defines divinity as the sum total of everything, how exactly does one take a position on that? But, ignoring that technicality, I'm pretty much as run-of-the-mill of an atheist you can get.

That said, I'd be lying if I didn't mention my study of science (specifically physics) had nothing to do with it. Which is to say that physics has informed by atheism. Studying science changes your world view. I really dislike the notion of absolute truth; I just find it to be a meaningless concept. What exactly does it mean for something to be true, is quite frankly, a seemingly impossible question to answer. I'm comfortable relying on models that best fit the data, understanding that they are fallible. In the case of divinity, however, I just find any meaningful model lacking. For most people who go through sciences, I'd imagine a similar mindset occurs. We never talk about religion; nevertheless, the correlation between non-religiosity and scientific education is well established. I'm not sure if it's a matter of disinterest, the fact that discussing religion in any sort of *negative* context is considered taboo, or a mix of both; granted, I'd wager it has more to do with disinterest.

Anyway, that's all I'll say for now. I'll probably pop in now and then to give my thoughts on discussions as they arise; that said, I'll probably be a rare sighting. School and work keeps me busy.

Edit: Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm asking to join the club.

Welcome!

OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/597997124605878272

RICHARD DAWKINS RESPONDED TO MY TWEET!!!

Darato

(o,..,o)
Sorry for the late reply, got busy

Zora welcome to the family, and thanks for sharing your story; and you'll find there are lot of others who have a belief like you do.

This will be one of the defining moments of your life.

This was in the news today, thought I'd share

http://fox13now.com/2015/05/12/fewe...istians-millennials-leaving-church-in-droves/

Also talked with another Atheist who believes we become some type of ghost after we die. Has anyone else heard of this from another Atheist by chance?

L.F.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.