• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Attack of the Pre-historic Pokémon! (046)

Leonhart

Imagineer
So Charizard only helped save Ash because he hated Aerodactyl, right? I wish we had seen more of Charmeleon though. He evolved way too soon.

Lizardon seemed to dislike Ptera since Ptera knocked him down in the chasm when they first met, although I'm positive that Lizardon was attempting to rescue Satoshi regardless. He was reckless about it as seen when he attacked Ptera with Flamethrower and didn't care that Satoshi got burned, but Lizardon wasn't going to let Satoshi die.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Also, the dub's comment on "fossilized Pokemon manure" proves that at least the Pokemon based on animals have the same, well, systems as their animal counterparts.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Also, the dub's comment on "fossilized Pokemon manure" proves that at least the Pokemon based on animals have the same, well, systems as their animal counterparts.

Pokemon having a digestive system was already implied even before this episode since we had seen Pokemon eat. Their food wouldn't magically disappear once eaten; it was obvious that they'd have to digest it, which would produce waste as a byproduct.

Gary served no purpose at Grandpa Canyon so why was he here. Aerodactyl almost eating Ash was messed up and Charizard was a hero for chasing him down.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Gary served no purpose at Grandpa Canyon so why was he here. Aerodactyl almost eating Ash was messed up and Charizard was a hero for chasing him down.

Shigeru being interested in excavating fossils in this episode seemed within his character given that he loved bragging about his achievements. He was probably hoping to dig up a fossil so as to bolster his own ego.

Daizy

I call you honey
I wish Grandpa Canyon existed in the games unless it was meant to be the anime's version of Rock Tunnel. I didn't get how so many Fossil Pokemon managed to survive living underground.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
I didn't get how so many Fossil Pokemon managed to survive living underground.

It was implied that they'd been in deep hibernation underground for millions of years, which is silly but fitting for the anime.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The episode was meh. Charmeleon only caring about defeating Aerodactyl irked me, since he still failed to do so even after evolving, although at least he had a type disadvantage here. At least they have found the Togepi egg.
4/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
The episode was meh. Charmeleon only caring about defeating Aerodactyl irked me, since he still failed to do so even after evolving, although at least he had a type disadvantage here. At least they have found the Togepi egg.
4/10

I didn't think of it before, but it is somewhat amusing to me that he was so adamant about defeating Ptera, yet even as a Lizardon he wasn't able to settle the score since Ptera just fell asleep due to Purin's singing.

I think fossils are the most interesting aspect of Pokemon since they're literally dead Pokemon remains that can be resurrected into full living beings with science, so seeing a colony of extinct Pokemon who were still alive underground was amazing and Aerodactyl seemed really dangerous. It's probably a good thing that fossil Pokemon like him and the others are rare in the show otherwise they'd probably going around eating people and Pokemon. 8/10

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Charizard evolved so he could save Ash; he could've let Ash fall after Aerodactyl was defeated. Instead Charizard grabbed Ash & carefully deposited him before landing. Charizard was headstrong & rebellious, but he still cared for his trainer.

That always warmed my heart a bit; seeing that Charizard still cared, even if he didn’t want to obey.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
We deserved to get an explanation on why there was a Togepi egg at the canyon. At 1st I thought it meant Togepi was related to fossil Pokemon but that wasn't the case so why the hell was the egg just hanging around there... ?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
My guess: they told the writers to add this new egg Pokemon, & they writers threw it in here because it was big enough to be a dinosaur egg, & because they didn’t give the writers much info to go on.

Red and Blue

In universe someone probably just left the Egg in the canyon. Maybe it's Togetic/Togekiss parent

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
We deserved to get an explanation on why there was a Togepi egg at the canyon. At 1st I thought it meant Togepi was related to fossil Pokemon but that wasn't the case so why the hell was the egg just hanging around there... ?

I've never really thought about it, but I suppose that the writers just wanted to introduce Togepy quickly and decided that they might as well place its egg in a strange location, so they chose this episode. If I'd been in charge, I would've waited a while and introduced the egg in a more fitting episode, such as the breeding center one.

CHARIZARD!!!!!!
Jigglypuff served no purpose being in this episode.

This was the first Pokemon episode I saw. Prior to this, my only exposure of Pokemon was from the binder of cards my father had bought for me from Auction.

I can appreciate this might sound cliche, but when I saw Charmeleon evolve, I was enamored with Charizard. I had the Charmander and Charmeleon cards, but I didn't expect a big jump in size (Back then!)