1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Attack on Titan to be animated by Studio MAPPA

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by Ashfahad123, May 29, 2020.

1. Ashfahad123

Ashfahad123 Assalamualaikum

So, yeah, just saw the trailer. I am both hyped and worried. Definitely going to read the manga!

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    345ash-greninja and Leonhart like this.
  2. shoz999

shoz999 The goofiest-looking dog I've ever seen. I LUV IT!

These are the same guys doing God of Highschool later in July. They also did Dororo and Inuyashiki. There should be no worries for the action department but I just found that this is going to be called "The Final Season". Can they really finish three story arcs in one season? I guess we'll wait & see.

345ash-greninja and Leonhart like this.
  3. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Assassin Kid

As someone who knows the manga content of this final season well enough, I've to say that I'm kinda anxious & worried after hearing about that. Attack On Titan is one of my all-time favourite anime, it's simply put, an EPIC series & the manga content of this season is absolutely top-tier, which if adapted well, can simply blow all expectations out of the water. Alongside that, we all know AoT is a series that has always been getting better & better with each season, surpassing more & more expectations, especially the last season, which was simply mindboggling, generating an unreal amount of hype amidst fans & blew past all expectations. And with the top-tier content of this season, this series has every potential of ending with an absolute bang & set a new bar in terms of quality.

But with the blessing of WiT Studio gone now, which is easily one of the best studios out there & has done an outstanding job doing all the anime adaptations of AoT till date, I've to say that I do have doubts whether Studio Mappa would be able to live up to the reputation & do a good enough adaptation. This season really does have masterpiece/top-calibre content & has every potential to become one of the best things to come out in the anime medium till date if adapted well; all I can say now is that I really hope that Studio Mappa does well-enough & don't ruin this adaptation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Siddhar and Ashfahad123 like this.
  4. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

I'm honestly okay with this. MAPPA gets pretty ambitious, and should recognize the size of this burden taking up AoT. Although given the tonal shift, I think this was to be a given that a new studio would have to take the helm. The biggest issue would be the funding to be able to make enough episodes to cover everything, they might split this up into parts like the last time. Kiss quality goodbye if Netflix ever gets involved.

That's, like, your opinion, man.
    [​IMG]

Also Studio Pierrot pre-digital age was just amazing, especially when it came to negative space. All hand-painted, no computers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Assassin Kid

I'm not trying to downplay Studio Bones by any means, after all it's the studio which made my #1/all-time favourite anime in FMA:B & many other favourites of mine as well like MHA & Mob Psycho 100; Bones is an amazing studio who have shown their capability many-a-times, there's no way to deny that. But drawing a comparison with Bones doesn't really prove my point wrong nor is relevant here, since Bones isn't the studio which is doing the adaptation of AoT final season (I'd have no problems if that was the case).

Regardless, WiT studio is also an amazing studio which has proved its worth time & again as well. It did a great job in doing all the previous AoT adaptations till date (especially the last season which as we all know, blew all expectations out of the water for many fans) & recently achieved massive success with Vinland Saga which exemplifies that even further. If studio Mappa manages to live up to the reputation, then I'll be the happiest person as a huge AoT fan, but there does remain a lot of concern whether that'll be the case or not, pretty understandably, amongst many AoT fans.

I'm not really convinced about Studio Pierrot since as we both know, it did a complete mess with the Tokyo Ghoul adaptation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    TwilightBlade likes this.
  6. Ashfahad123

Ashfahad123 Assalamualaikum

I wouldn't be as worried as I am now if I knew MAPPA wasn't animating God of Highschool and Jujutsu Kaisen. Tbh, I don't mind the quality of the trailer. People have been complaining about the quality and background and stuff but I honestly it looks pretty good and I am hyped. But yeah, MAPPA animating three major anime is worrying to me.

TwilightBlade likes this.
  7. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

No, I didn't know that was what happened because I haven't seen Tokyo Ghoul. Nor do I care at the moment even though it's not all that surprising given it's Pierrot. Pierrot's work just stopped looking good once the 2000s hit and they started using computers. All that raw, amazing, magical talent they had suddenly just... went poof. Pierrot has its roots in anime history especially with how they pioneered what would become the norm in modern magical girl shows, but I think they did peak with Yu Yu Hakusho. They may be more well-known for Naruto and Bleach nowadays and quality varies tremendously, but their powerhouse status was not something to underestimate back in the day. It's an absolute travesty how far their quality when you compare their filmography spanning decades.

'Sides, honestly I don't think Studio Wit's much different from most other studios out there currently. The only time they actually "wow"ed me was the first episode of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, everything else always looked to me like they're just copying AoT because that's what they're most known for now despite being a subsidiary of Production I.G. (also a revolutionary studio that had its ups-and-downs like with Pierrot, but handled the transition to digital much better), meaning Studio Wit can't even stand on its own as a solely independent studio for the time being unlike with the other subsidiary, Xebec (and look what happened to them--officially went defunct a year ago to the day). I mean, a few years ago Wit was struggling with an animator shortage. Guess they resolved it or something, they should be lucky they can still do projects, although them giving up their golden goose makes you think otherwise.

I just think another bubble burst is about to happen, potentially this decade. Wit might not survive the bubble burst if it has nothing else to fall back on.

I think that's a good sign they're doing multiple different projects since they've proven themselves to be a studio with a big enough staff of animators to handle multiple different projects. The quality among the talent is going to differ, of course, so we don't know if the A or B-team is working on AoT or not, that's something we have to judge in the final product.