• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aug 11th: XY&Z037 - The Finals! Ash VS Alan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, is Noivern confirmed to be the first one taken out on Ash's team? :( That sucks...

Does Noivern at least take someone out, if anyone knows?

K.N.

I'm fine with Alain's team. Unfezant is a really odd choice I'll admit, but I guess they wanted a flier. Like others I would've preferred something that looks "tougher" like Braviary though. Immediate visual intimidation seems to be the theme with Alain's team and Unfezant is the odd one out in that regard. And while yes, the show ignores BSTs, first route and really common Pokemon often still get a general treatment of seeming weaker unless otherwise stated- which is what Ash's Pikachu is, FTR.

As far as Pikachu getting a lot of screentime, I'm okay with that- in Kalos they've generally made sure Pikachu has an overall really good track record. Maybe that's why they had Pikachu fall to Sceptile last match instead of Slurpuff- they needed to make sure the only member Shota had that could take out Pikachu was his strongest.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Wow unfezant is surprising. I would have definitley prefered braviary for a gen 5 bird and it would alain more in my opinion but still kind of cool for some gen 5 love here.

Janovy

Banned
Noooo because Bisharp is cool and has been repeatedly been shown as a threat in all of its appearances in XY so far
I honestly cannot remember a single Bisharp appearance in XY. When did Bisharp last get a major role?

Unfezant is just garbage. Worst regional bird, worst bird capture for Ash we should've gotten Braviary, and an all around boring Pokemon. And its movepool is bad, like as soon as I heard Unfezant I instantly knew that its moveset is going to have something to do with Air Cutter and oh wow what do you know?
Poor argument. Unfezant as a species has access to dozens of powerful and cool moves: Sky Attack, Heat Wave, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam, Night Slash, etc.

It all depends on what writers decide to use.

Of all the cool Flying-types in BW, they could have given him ANYTHING ELSE and it would have been at least 5x better. Hell at least give him Mandibuzz to go with the overall Dark-type theme he's got going on.
Overreaction.

TheScentedApple

It looks like the first two to be defeat for Ash might be Noivern and Hawlucha and the first two to be defeated for Alain might be Tyranitar and Weavile. I hope Hawluch defeats Bisharp, if Pikachu really does defeat Tyranitar.

It might not. We haven't seen Ash's Greninja in a picture of video for this episode. It could be in the next episode and defeat something there.

So maybe it starts like this.

Pikachu VS Tyranitar (Pikachu wins)
Pikachu VS Charizard (Both get recalled)
Noivern VS Weavile (Weavile wins)
Hawlucha VS Weavile (Hawlucha wins)
Hawlucha VS Unfezant (Unfezant wins; gets recalled)
Only we see alain start with Weavile
No see, check out Ash's side of the panel. Next to Unfezant there is a fainted Pokemon which means Weavile, Tyranitar, and Bisharp all go down before Unfezant VS Talonflame.
The pokemon that would be next to the active one would still be alive as we see here kalos league scoreboard.JPG so Alain has only lost two up to this point

AlexTogekiss

One of the ninjas (I think his name was Kagetomo) had one (Frogadier evolved fighting against it) and Bryony has one too.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I will admit, out of all the pokemon on Alain's team, Unfezant was the biggest surprise. Not exactly the kind of pokemon I expected him to have tbph.

On another note, the preview showed Pikachu vs Metagross. I remember there being a Pikachu/Metagross matchup at the Hoenn league.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Pikachu is the main character alongside Satoshi, problem is Greninja is the only one getting attention, with Pikachu getting the leftovers, while everyone plays background characters, and it seems the story will repeat itself again with most of the battle being done here, Pikachu battling at least 3 of his pokemon, and Greninja getting the glory/or his butt handed to him next episode.

Jeeze I hope people werent this mad when Infernape got three kills in Ash vs Paul and two team members went away with no wins, wheras Greninja will probably be getting TWO at best

dean1234

The preview has me confused. How my fights will take place on one episode?
I'll have to wait a week I guess.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Jeeze I hope people werent this mad when Infernape got three kills in Ash vs Paul and two team members went away with no wins, wheras Greninja will probably be getting TWO at best

I'm saying what is happening, not saying I'm happy or mad about it, but I complained about Torterra lack of wins, and Infernape over usage at the time, so I'm being consistent.

Unfezant is just garbage. Worst regional bird, worst bird capture for Ash we should've gotten Braviary, and an all around boring Pokemon. And its movepool is bad, like as soon as I heard Unfezant I instantly knew that its moveset is going to have something to do with Air Cutter and oh wow what do you know?

So, imagine if every time a pokemon someone doesn't like appears in the show, they made a bunch of posts about it.

I like most pokemon, and I actually like Unfezant design(I think Tranquill is actually the best middle stage bird), Weavile is one of my favorite pokemon, but frankly I'm more annoyed it is here than anything else, it's been overused, 712 pokemon, and we get repeated pokemon all the time, Bisharp, and Weavile being used again is the actual boring part of his team.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
I'm saying what is happening, not saying I'm happy or mad about it, but I complained about Torterra lack of wins, and Infernape over usage at the time, so I'm being consistent.

At the very least the Kalos Team will have two battles to rake in the glory and not just one

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
The preview has me confused. How my fights will take place on one episode?
I'll have to wait a week I guess.

I think it's probably just going to be goodravs charizard and then greninja vs charizard for the last episode.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
At the very least the Kalos Team will have two battles to rake in the glory and not just one

What if they don't do anything? Noivern, and Goodra got a draw, and right now we don't know how things will go for them in the next match, but it doesn't look great imo, Hawlucha got an almost offscreen win against Absol, and nothing else. Talonflame got a win, and it seems it's either beating Unfezant or drawing with it(he should be the fall guy here). Otherwise it's been Greninja, and it's supporting character Pikachu.

In DP, Gible, Staraptor got battles for them to star, Infernape, and Pikachu did what they had to do storywise, the only one that was screwed over was Torterra.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Ah, I forgot. Pikachu totally fits with strong Pokemon like Greninja, Talonflame, Goodra and Noivern. Its stats nearly match theirs, right?

I can deal with the 'it looks boring' argument, but please don't give me that 'it has low stats' BS as if the anime ever cared about that. Or should we forget a random Slurpuff in Sawyer's otherwise powerful team.

Blame the writer for giving Ash a Pikachu as the starter :p

But seriously now, Pikachu's strenght was established as a medium to powerful pokemon in the anime with a ton of battling experience. You're right that Pikachu is weak either, but we knew all the time that Ash also had a ton of weak and a ton of strong pokemon. In comparison with his Johto team, Pikachu could've been considered as one of the better pokemon.

Alain was portrayed to be a very strong character with stronger pokemon. M-Charizard, Metagross, Tyranitar etc. While Unfezant also can learn good moves, it was portrayed to be not as good as the most other flying types in the past. And then suddenly his 6th member of his "allstar" team includes an Unfezant, which is one of the more weaker and unpopular regional birds?

It just doesn't fit as one of the league final pokemon. Ninjask as one of the six Paul was using for his last battle against Ash was also not necessary since he had better options to use, not only because of type advantage.

Braviary, Honchcrow or even Hydreigon as would've been better.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Braviary, Honchcrow or even Hydreigon as would've been better.
Please dont bring up Hyrdreigon at the League.

What if they don't do anything? Noivern, and Goodra got a draw, and right now we don't know how things will go for them in the next match, but it doesn't look great imo, Hawlucha got an almost offscreen win against Absol, and nothing else. Talonflame got a win, and it seems it's either beating Unfezant or drawing with it(he should be the fall guy here). Otherwise it's been Greninja, and it's supporting character Pikachu.

I guess? Weve only gotten one full battle and Greninja himself as only been in one match (two if you count the Altaria slaughtering), he may get the "finales" but battle wise his presence is very minimal, hes not even in the next epissode

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I just don't like Unfenzant because its design is boring to me, not because of moveset and the like. I'm sure it'll be strong so there's no real complaints about its power from me.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I honestly cannot remember a single Bisharp appearance in XY. When did Bisharp last get a major role?

Poor argument. Unfezant as a species has access to dozens of powerful and cool moves: Sky Attack, Heat Wave, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam, Night Slash, etc.

It all depends on what writers decide to use.

Overreaction.

I think Unfezant seems like a good choice for Alain. What better pokemon for him then one that wears a mask? Masking all emotion? yeah. Also Unfezent doesn't like to get close with anyone except its trainer, which also reminds me of Alain. Idk, out of the birds it seems like a good Alain fit.

not to mention, I personally haven't seen a male in action, maybe I've missed an episode, so this will be good. and yeah I just looked at it's move set and it looks great, although I think we can see air cutter being used in the preview so that's one.

Dax

Legend

It belongs to one of the Team Flare girls and battled Greninja.

I'm fine with Unfezant. I won't deny that it's one of the shittiest pokemon to ever exist, BUT I judge power levels on the anime on what it's seen and heard and not game stats because they're irrelevant. For all we know this could be one of Alain's strongest.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I like most pokemon, and I actually like Unfezant design(I think Tranquill is actually the best middle stage bird), Weavile is one of my favorite pokemon, but frankly I'm more annoyed it is here than anything else, it's been overused, 712 pokemon, and we get repeated pokemon all the time, Bisharp, and Weavile being used again is the actual boring part of his team.

Eh Bisharp didn't get much screentime until the Ninja two-parter I think. I forgot Bryony had one and we hardly saw Georgia's in BW. Imo I'd say Tyranitar and Weavile could have been replaced for something lessed used instead.

I like Unfezant as well. I don't think it's boring at all considering it's one of the few Pokemon with drastic gender differences, something people forget about.

Status
Not open for further replies.