• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aug 18th: XY&Z038 - Kalos League Victory! Ash's Ultimate Match!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajduk

Again, Ash-Greninja has been perfected since then. He's not going down easily either. He's already TWO Mega Evolutions that he had a DISADVANTAGE against. Look, I'm just gonna say it. I want this battle to utterly ruin Charizard and prove that he's not the greatest of all Pokémon like so many people say.

Aren't you sick of Charizard already? Despite how awesome he is sometimes, whether it be in the anime or the games, he's always there somehow, referenced and all. Guess who else deserves the same spotlight?

I'm don't like Charizard. I'm a Venesaur person. This Charizard, however, is portrait as an almost unbeatable monster.
I just don't like this freak greninja. It is this weird evolution that happens when there is an insanely strong bond between a pokemon and a trainer. Greninja has been with Ash for 1 season. Pikcahu has been with Ash for more than a decade. Anime logic

Last edited:

crimson_echidna

KKS-Lapras

In reality, if the Alola region is going to indeed not have traditional gyms, but part of the goal is to establish a Regional League, Ash winning the Kalos League, may make a bit of sense. He wins, and then as the end of the series is reached, he is somehow directed to the task of helping to establish a Regional League in Alola.

Akashin

Isn't this the same mega charizard who had fought the primal trio (and not die instantly) and who had defeated Malva? If Ash beats it than you can say Ash>elite 4 member Malva.
It is not that I don't want Ash to win but I just can't see how would that make sense. I just looked at all the battles that Alain had and that mega charizard x is a monster, probably one of the most powerful pokemon in the anime, and his feats are above what I know for ash greninja.
It was defeated once but it defeated almost every other mega evolution pokemon. Greninja lost to Avalug.

Mega Charizard defeated Malva in a battle where how seriously she was fighting is a subject of debate, and Ash Greninja at its best has defeated Mega Sceptile with minimal difficulty and fought on more or less equal footing with a Diantha's Mega Gardevoir. Mega Charizard is strong, but no, it isn't leaps and bounds above Greninja. Far from it.

I'm don't like Charizard. I'm a Venesaur person. This Charizard, however, is portrait as an almost unbeatable monster.
I just don't like this freak greninja. It is this weird evolution that happens when there is an insanely strong bond between a pokemon and a trainer. Greninja has been with Ash for 1 season. Pikcahu has been with Ash for more than a decade. Anime logic

And the length of time Pikachu has been with Ash versus the time Greninja has been still means as little as it did the first time people tried using this as an argument. It's utterly irrelevant, because the form change is simply something Greninja has and Pikachu doesn't. The bond between Ash and Greninja is just the trigger for it, and that his bond with Pikachu is stronger means absolutely nothing.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Thankfully someone got my reference so I don't feel like a complete numpty. O.O

And the length of time Pikachu has been with Ash versus the time Greninja has been still means as little as it did the first time people tried using this as an argument. It's utterly irrelevant, because the form change is simply something Greninja has and Pikachu doesn't. The bond between Ash and Greninja is just the trigger for it, and that his bond with Pikachu is stronger means absolutely nothing.

Which would be known if you... y'know... watched the anime.

Epicocity

Mega Charizard defeated Malva in a battle where how seriously she was fighting is a subject of debate, and Ash Greninja at its best has defeated Mega Sceptile with minimal difficulty and fought on more or less equal footing with a Diantha's Mega Gardevoir. Mega Charizard is strong, but no, it isn't leaps and bounds above Greninja. Far from it.

Thank you for this! I hate it that people are still believing it means Ash's bond with Greninja is stronger than his bond with Pikachu. The anime has now made it explicitly clear this isn't the case. Hell, the last two battles should have shown this isn't the case. Pikachu broke his League record in just two battles. He took down pseudos. He's a beast that's pulling his weight to bring Ash his League victory. If that isn't a stronger bond, I don't know what is.

And yeah, Ash as he is now is a trainer of immense skill. This is the first region where he hasn't won a single major battle through random s***. No evolutions in the middle of a gym battle; no learning moves in the middle of a gym battle. Revealed moves, sure, but that just means he trained that. His skill has really shown compared to any other region save for DP.

Xeiros

I stopped following the series after the orange islands. I played each generation of games, but the show was no longer engaging to me. In truth, it never had been. I simply had much lower standards back then. I'd listen to other people's experiences wondering maybe this generation will be the one that finally does it right. Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova came and went keeping the shows status quo well in tact.

Ash was always that Dr. Frankenstein's monster of childish, mature, perceptive, dense, competent, naive, passionate, and lazy. He was simply whatever the writers needed him to be for that region or episode. We grew to expect nothing. We grew to accept an inconsistent series that never comes off as a satisfying experience all on its own. The wheels would spin but it felt was if the series was moving in empty circles.

This sixth generation series is the first time the series has been able to stand on its own merits. To not simply be the low effort assembly line production tie in to promote the newest region and its newest batch of Pokémon. Ash is finally a consistently well characterized protagonist. He is passionate, caring, driven, and confident not only in himself but his friends and Pokémon was well. He is finally a protagonist one can happily invest themselves in and root for.

It's amazing just how much better this generation is than all the other that came before it. Everything from a stronger, better utilized supporting cast. Improved character design, art, and modern animation techniques. We saw improved writing in the form of strong multi-episode as well as single episode stories. For the first time we had a series that was actually trying to be engaging. This time character dynamics and personal agency play a key role.

This is the first time It actually feels appropriate for Ash to win the league. No other iteration of the character was written in such a way as to be the kind of person that not only had what it took to go all the way, but was someone the viewer could be relate and want to be like at the same time. This is the best the character has ever been written. This is far and away the best the Pokémon anime has ever been by a long shot.

I don't think Ash will win or not win merely due to his failure past series. Those are irrelevant. In this region, in this series, on this journey, this iteration of Ash and his character arc throughout his bid to be champion, is the first and so far only time him winning the cup actually makes sense. In the Kalos region he's finally become a character that deserves it.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I stopped following the series after the orange islands. I played each generation of games, but the show was no longer engaging to me. In truth, it never had been. I simply had much lower standards back then. I'd listen to other people's experiences wondering maybe this generation will be the one that finally does it right. Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova came and went keeping the shows status quo well in tact.

Ash was always that Dr. Frankenstein's monster of childish, mature, perceptive, dense, competent, naive, passionate, and lazy. He was simply whatever the writers needed him to be for that region or episode. We grew to expect nothing. We grew to accept an inconsistent series that never comes off as a satisfying experience all on its own. The wheels would spin but it felt was if the series was moving in empty circles.

This sixth generation series is the first time the series has been able to stand on its own merits. To not simply be the low effort assembly line production tie in to promote the newest region and its newest batch of Pokémon. Ash is finally a consistently well characterized protagonist. He is passionate, caring, driven, and confident not only in himself but his friends and Pokémon was well. He is finally a protagonist one can happily invest themselves in and root for.

It's amazing just how much better this generation is than all the other that came before it. Everything from a stronger, better utilized supporting cast. Improved character design, art, and modern animation techniques. We saw improved writing in the form of strong multi-episode as well as single episode stories. For the first time we had a series that was actually trying to be engaging. This time character dynamics and personal agency play a key role.

This is the first time It actually feels appropriate for Ash to win the league. No other iteration of the character was written in such a way as to be the kind of person that not only had what it took to go all the way, but was someone the viewer could be relate and want to be like at the same time. This is the best the character has ever been written. This is far and away the best the Pokémon anime has ever been by a long shot.

I don't think Ash will win or not win merely due to his failure past series. Those are irrelevant. In this region, in this series, on this journey, this iteration of Ash and his character arc throughout his bid to be champion, is the first and so far only time him winning the cup actually makes sense. In the Kalos region he's finally become a character that deserves it.

Well they were basically building ash up slowly even though he never aged. From kanto through sinnoh he really did mature and feel like he grew, but then best wishes really threw it out the window in a way.

Navin

MALDREAD
I don't know about y'all, but I still think DP Ash was a better battler than XY Ash. In terms of temperament though, I guess XY Ash edges out DP Ash as being the most 'ready' to win it all.

I have no hope for any cameos in this episode, but maybe if Ash wins, he can at least call his mom and Oak at the end of the episode.

crimson_echidna

I don't know about y'all, but I still think DP Ash was a better battler than XY Ash. In terms of temperament though, I guess XY Ash edges out DP Ash as being the most 'ready' to win it all.

DP Ash had too much angsting over trying to get Paul's respect for my taste.

Red and Blue

I have no hope for any cameos in this episode, but maybe if Ash wins, he can at least call his mom and Oak at the end of the episode.

I don't think he will have the chance. Once the match ends, Lysandre will likely start the invasion

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
The only reason Ash wasn't angsty in XY is because there's no one to argue with... he doesn't know of Alain's apparent reliance on only his Charizard. From a strategic and thinking level though, DP Ash was at the top of his game. Ash didn't just use the environment, he improvised on moves and baited his opponents.

Team Flare must be slow as heck at initiating their final plan if that's the case lol

Based on what the preview has shown I'm going to say thanks to OLM Team Kamei for making this season happen. I admit they did good this season. So good that I've become jittery in anticipation for this league closure. Perhaps that just a lack of sleep though...

gliscor&yanmega

It would be nice to have a 30 secondish scene of a bunch of past characters Ash has encountered just seeing him win(If he does). Would be a shame if they don't do something for it, but alas, it's really not that big of a deal.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
It would be nice to have a 30 secondish scene of a bunch of past characters Ash has encountered just seeing him win(If he does). Would be a shame if they don't do something for it, but alas, it's really not that big of a deal.

There is a chance that maybe there could be a big party for him back in pallet town with a bunch of characters. Iris could even make her cameo.

potat_lasaro

I'm kind of alive

I know it's unlikely, but I would love to see a quick 30 second flashback to all of Ash's previous League losses right before the Shuriken strikes...

Like, the Shuriken is about to hit and we see Ash smile as he realizes how far he's come. We then get still shots of each of his League losses in black and white as they show Charizard refusing to battle, Charizard being beat by Blaziken, Pikachu falling to Meowth, Tobias destroying him, and finally Cameron beating him. It then comes back to color with the Shuriken first as it strikes Charizard and then the rest of the scene is in color.

Unlikely yes, but it would be nice.

gliscor&yanmega

There is a chance that maybe there could be a big party for him back in pallet town with a bunch of characters. Iris could even make her cameo.

I suppose, which I would be fine with, but I'm more interested in just having a large amount of past characters shown again, like just going full out, even showing background characters that never did anything but can still be recognized(Dino), have really old cotds(A.J.), etc...

Have a scene where Paul is walking by a tv(Let's say in Unova where Trip, Bianca, Stephan, etc... are all seen watching) and sees Ash on the screen then smiles and walks away.

Another scene where maybe a bunch of Coordinators are sitting around watching, and maybe have May and Dawn together, with other notable Coordinators.

And other scenes for everyone else. I don't know if maybe the writers/animators feel like it would too more effort for something that might not be very appreciated.

I know it's unlikely, but I would love to see a quick 30 second flashback to all of Ash's previous League losses right before the Shuriken strikes...

Like, the Shuriken is about to hit and we see Ash smile as he realizes how far he's come. We then get still shots of each of his League losses in black and white as they show Charizard refusing to battle, Charizard being beat by Blaziken, Pikachu falling to Meowth, Tobias destroying him, and finally Cameron beating him. It then comes back to color with the Shuriken first as it strikes Charizard and then the rest of the scene is in color.

Unlikely yes, but it would be nice.

I would also like some flashbacks to the past to some degree as well. It seems like a simple enough thing to do, but it's hard to tell with the writers and animators sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.