• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aug 18th: XY&Z038 - Kalos League Victory! Ash's Ultimate Match!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red and Blue

The last two battles with Sawyer and Alain will surely make up for the skipped battles. And then there is the Flare climax to look forward to.

thebestpokemontrainer

Pokemon Master
Anyone in the Elite 4. The anime makes it a goal to show the difference in strength between regular trainers and the Elite 4.

In the past the was certainly a thing, but... not anymore apparently. Did you forget that
we've already seen Alain defeat an E4 member in a 1 v 1 match? He's already E4 lvl imo.

Anyway, this league seems to be heading in the direction I've always hoped for. I want ash
to take on the E4, defeat them, take on Diantha defeat her deny the spot as champion and
move onto the next region. So what if he loses there in the beginning? If you give cynthia a
ratata and have her battle against Paul's Torterra she's going to lose. It's not just about the
trainer, it's about the Pokemon & the bond's they have with their trainer. As long as he saves
him champion-level reserves for the champions league we could still see him lose in a region
tournament here or there.

I'd also like to see Ash take on Steven at some point to in a full 6 v 6 match. He'll probably
pop up some time around the team flare arc, in fact I'm pretty sure of it so maybe they can
have a battle.

Captain America X

The last two battles with Sawyer and Alain will surely make up for the skipped battles. And then there is the Flare climax to look forward to.

If the Sawyer and Alain battle are atleast 2/3rd as good as the battle against Paul than I would say that this league would definitely have been a good league(great league if Ash wins).Not perfect of course but non of the leagues so far have been perfect.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Wait... best team based on what exactly? Most of the team hasn't even had enough battles to properly gauge anything and personalities are still quite lacking... Talonflame and Hawlucha haven't seen too much battle usage outside of gyms, Noivern hasn't even done much of anything, Goodra has all of what... 5 battles to his name total? That literally leaves you with Pikachu and Greninja as the only consistent battlers who have more then enough usage to warrant their strength.

All of the promotional materials consistently refer to his Kalos team as his "ultimate team". That's where everyone is getting it from. Not to mention they've taken on Megas and the Champion and Legendaries...it's not so out of the realm of possibility without said promotional materials to draw this conclusion.

That said, I think it speaks more to Ash's current abilities as a trainer should he win with just his Kalos team. To take that victory with Pokemon he's only trained up for a region is impressive, regardless of people's want for reserves.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Mainly due to the fact we've hardly seen Ash do anything in this league thus far, which is disappointing in itself because only seeing two of his battles in their entirety is going to suck.. but also because he's turned his back on the reserves that played a huge role in him reaching this point in his life. The Sinnoh league had it all right until the Tobias meltdown, bringing together everything that Ash had learned and all the Pokemon he acquired over his entire journey to give him his greatest league placement to that date. That's the way a victory should've been handled in my opinion and they could've done that so easily now!!

I just can't help but dislike it. Sorry but if they're going to show a character finally become a league champion after 20 years, then I want to see it done properly..

I've sort of felt this way ever since we learned about no reserves. Although I'm not opposed to him winning here.

But you could also go on the other side and say that it would be disrespectful to the kalos team if he just ignored what has been his best regional team overall so far and then just use reserves.

Well, the Sinnoh team got one big dedicated fight, with the rest of Ash's roster taking care of other Battles. Kalos could've been similar.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Well, the Sinnoh team got one big dedicated fight, with the rest of Ash's roster taking care of other Battles. Kalos could've been similar.

The thing is that the Sinnoh team had a personal vendetta against Paul. In Kalos, the only one that has any ties to anything is Greninja vs Sceptile and Charizard.

Epicocity

I think the biggest issue with this is that it was, arguably, his biggest fight in Sinnoh against Paul. So, take it to Kalos, what would that be? His fight against Alain. But people would just complain that he's not using his reserves in the final match. So, ultimately, his team that was developed would face...just Sawyer. Which isn't bad but doesn't carry the emotional weight that the finals would like the way the battle against Paul did.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
If the Sawyer and Alain battle are atleast 2/3rd as good as the battle against Paul than I would say that this league would definitely have been a good league(great league if Ash wins).Not perfect of course but non of the leagues so far have been perfect.

Simple, no suicide mountain.

For dramatic tension purposes it would be hard to upstage the build up of Paul, animation wise and tactics wise Kalos can upstage it completely.

I will save my verdict for when it airs.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
All this fuss about reserves. He only used reserves in two leagues.

People just want to see their long term investment in the series acknowledged, it's called fanservice.

I honestly just want to see the Kalos team rack up a decent record of usage.

CupidKirby

Doesn't mean Ash would win against Alain with this so called bond. I am not changing my opinion that Alain can win and deserves to win as much as Ash.

That's why this is a speculation thread. Based on the narrative cues piled on with Ash's character development, the direction of the plot, and structure of the league, Ash has more than a good shot at winning. Continually saying that Alain "has a chance" to win (which in your language for some reason means that he will win) without any additional analysis or evidence to support your claim is pointless.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. Just that it adds nothing to the discussion. I'm actually kind of baffled that people can reply to your posts with anything other than the aforementioned "water shuriken can take out Charizard X because it can."

That's not to say it can't happen after the Team Flare arc. We don't know how long it takes for the League's winner to challenge the E4, it might not happen just after the League's last battle.

But doesn't the scan confirm that Alain switches to Ash's side before the Team Flare arc is over? For your theory that Alain defeats Ash then learns his lesson by losing to an E4 to work, he would have to battle the E4 before the Flare arc starts. Unless the writers want to pull some last-minute enigma moment and have little to no buildup to Alain's revelation, having him lose to Ash makes the most sense.

And no. Alain staring at the barren wasteland and realizing that he f_ked up isn't enough to correct the source of his problem. He could still be a guy who pushes his friends away and only cares about power without destroying Lumiose City. Of course, we could just have a writers' brain fart moment where they play off Alain helping to save the city as efficient growth. When that would be more of a "he only regrets it because it came to bite him back" moment rather than learning an actual lesson.

Also, we're almost certain Ash is going to defeat Alain eventually. With Lysandre's early reveal and Alain seemingly standing on Ash's side in the scan rather than as some shadowy silhouette representing Ash's final challenge to save the world, it's likely that this defeat will take place in the Kalos League.

So what I'm trying to say is that your points are valid. But unless we get some high grade crap writing, they don't seem likely to happen based on the information that we have.

Mainly due to the fact we've hardly seen Ash do anything in this league thus far, which is disappointing in itself because only seeing two of his battles in their entirety is going to suck.. but also because he's turned his back on the reserves that played a huge role in him reaching this point in his life. The Sinnoh league had it all right until the Tobias meltdown, bringing together everything that Ash had learned and all the Pokemon he acquired over his entire journey to give him his greatest league placement to that date. That's the way a victory should've been handled in my opinion and they could've done that so easily now!!

I just can't help but dislike it. Sorry but if they're going to show a character finally become a league champion after 20 years, then I want to see it done properly..

What if Ash uses only his Kalos Pokemon to win the Kalos League, but brings reserves in for the Champions League? Personally I find that even better than him bringing in reserves for both.

Red and Blue

Look at it this way. His Kalos team is his ultimate one because it was the team that finally earned his victory at a league.

Regardless if some pokemon got more attention then others

John Trainer

John Trainer
inb4 team flare intrerrupts the league and no victor is announced then another league takes place sequently and they bring back tobias to troll us once again

Pretty much or Ash defeats Team Flare and they declare him the winner because of that

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
What makes any of us know what it means to do it properly, I don't see a single one of us that has written a hit show especially one that's last 20 plus years.

The fans are the whole reason they have for writing this show to start with, so it's in their best interest to please said fans with the things they would like to see most.

Janovy

Banned
The fans are the whole reason they have for writing this show to start with, so it's in their best interest to please said fans with the things they would like to see most.
More like advertising the games, which is what this anime has always been about.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
More like advertising the games, which is what this anime has always been about.

Yes, but now we've reached a point where we wonder if the games need the anime anymore. The way the writing is changing would suggest that they are going away from it a little. With the breaking of the status quo comes less focus on the games in the anime and more focus on the anime itself.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Yes, but now we've reached a point where we wonder if the games need the anime anymore. The way the writing is changing would suggest that they are going away from it a little. With the breaking of the status quo comes less focus on the games in the anime and more focus on the anime itself.

In Japan, the anime is basically the marketing department for pokemon. Everywhere else varies.

Status
Not open for further replies.