• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aug 4th: XY&Z036 - Fierce Fighting at the Kalos League! Gather, All of My Passion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Dog

The game one? It was very good.

- Gym Leaders behaving like real patriotic Americans/Unovans willing to battle evil with their quirks being sweet and well-implemented. Then comes the sequel and they all shine brighter.
- A man raised in solitude and taught extremely mangled morals to change the world for the better, having a really manipulative father(?) to further his goal of world domination.
- The usual league ending formula being overwritten by the evil team's plans. In other words, you were getting stronger to vanquish evil for good, not for personal glory.
- Two childhood rivals whom you connect a lot and pose a challenge every time you meet them.

By Pokemon standards, game!BW was really good...and somehow the anime did the utter opposite.

...Uh, so yeah. The game was really good, the anime was really, really bad. By the anime standards, at least we can agree XY(&Z) is a much welcomed improvement...albeit with glaring flaws all over.

The problem with BW's story is that trying to go deep with themes and ideas is simply not enough to make the story good. It still suffers from lousy execution and mixed messages. I'd rather have a minimal story on trying to become the strongest or saving the princess or whatnot then have a failed attempt to go something deeper, which is what plenty of JRPG's suffer. Granted, X/Y, the pre-gen 5 Pokémon games, and Super Mario did not have great stories for taking the former route, but they didn't try to have them, because they didn't need to have great stories, and if you're playing Mario or Pokémon for the plot then you're really better off doing something else.

Hence, a polished turd is still a turd. I go by standards higher than "Pokémon standards".

Also, completely agree with you concerning the anime, but no series was free from glaring flaws; even Kanto had its problems. But I just wanna see Ash become a champion, so I'll let the flaws slide if it happens, caused I've waited 20 years and hope he wins right here, right now.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Mairin is being introduced into the main plotline and thus she, along with Lysandre, is meeting the group.

= non filler

Like it or not, that's how it is. Moving on..

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Just the latter half of an irrelevant article largely taking up a different page, translated for completion's sake since the rest of the page had something more relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/3inLhla.jpg

(start of article is cut-off)

Rivals standing in his way!
Both of them are formidable opponents that have mastered Mega Evolution!

Shota & Mega Sceptile: He attacks with his strategy of having studied Ash as much as possible!

Alan & Mega Charizard X: A hot-blooded Trainer that has constantly kept fighting in search of strong opponents!

diakyu

So the new preview showed the gang, their Pokemon, Sawyer and Sceptile, Clembot, and Meyer all eating on some grass. Took Meyer long enough geeze.

elior

Unlock a world of casual fun and excitement with t
so by the second preview i guess we will spend good amount of time ash talking to lysandre

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I guess both Lysandre and Marin are there to watch Alain battle Ash at the league. Lysandre probably waiting for Alain to finish up so they can get to work on their plan.

Illusio

No words, only rage
The problem with BW's story is that trying to go deep with themes and ideas is simply not enough to make the story good. It still suffers from lousy execution and mixed messages. I'd rather have a minimal story on trying to become the strongest or saving the princess or whatnot then have a failed attempt to go something deeper, which is what plenty of JRPG's suffer. Granted, X/Y, the pre-gen 5 Pokémon games, and Super Mario did not have great stories for taking the former route, but they didn't try to have them, because they didn't need to have great stories, and if you're playing Mario or Pokémon for the plot then you're really better off doing something else.

Hence, a polished turd is still a turd. I go by standards higher than "Pokémon standards".

Also, completely agree with you concerning the anime, but no series was free from glaring flaws; even Kanto had its problems. But I just wanna see Ash become a champion, so I'll let the flaws slide if it happens, caused I've waited 20 years and hope he wins right here, right now.

It's funny you say that about BW and not XY when honestly XY suffered from that issue multipled tenfold. Remember that it's the same game that tried to be even deeper and play up the terrors of the Pokemon war and Lysandre's ideals, yet it's generally agreed that none of those elements were handled all that well and Lysandre came off as hypocritical and his team unfocused.

Anyway, enough about the games. I just saw the preview, I'm kind of curious if Sawyer and Meyer will continue to have a role in the upcoming events now.

Mairin is being introduced into the main plotline and thus she, along with Lysandre, is meeting the group.

= non filler

Like it or not, that's how it is. Moving on..

Yeah Mairin is such an important character.

potat_lasaro

I'm kind of alive
Yeah Mairin is such an important character.

She kind of is. Because of her and Chespie, Alain agreed to personally collect all the Mega Evolution needed to help Lysandre "cure" Chespie. But in reality it's being used to fuel their weapon alongside Zygarde. Plus, if he wasn't out collecting the energy he wouldn't have fought Ash and wouldn't have entered the League with the purpose of facing Ash at his best.

So in a condensed version: Mairin and Chespie are responsible for all of the actions happening with Alain's character.

She kind of is. Because of her and Chespie, Alain agreed to personally collect all the Mega Evolution needed to help Lysandre "cure" Chespie. But in reality it's being used to fuel their weapon alongside Zygarde. Plus, if he wasn't out collecting the energy he wouldn't have fought Ash and wouldn't have entered the League with the purpose of facing Ash at his best.

So in a condensed version: Mairin and Chespie are responsible for all of the actions happening with Alain's character.

Well maybe, but why is it important that the gang meets her then?

potat_lasaro

I'm kind of alive
Well maybe, but why is it important that the gang meets her then?

That, I don't know, but it probably has to do with bridging the League and the Flare arc. Mairin has spent a lot of time around Lysandre and Alain and could be quite surprised by what the Mega Evolution energy was actually used on. She could also explain how Alain hasn't always been the way he's acting and could get him to lighten up again, but explains to the group what Alain is doing with wanting to collect Mega Evolution energy.

So, I think they're trying to create more of a shock factor in-universe when Lysandre attacks. If everyone has just heard how great of a man he is, only to see him wage war on the entire Kalos region could shock them all.

satoshigekkouga

Curious to see if Manon will recognise Ash as being the kid who jumped from Prism Tower. She should... but then Alain should have recognised Satoshi's name too lol so we'll see.

Torterraaaa

Psyched to see Meyer in the new preview! It's been a long time. I'm actually really looking forward to this episode. It's nice to get a break from the battles, awesome as the last one was, to get some character interaction.

Edit: cast list on Bulbapedia http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/XY129

Sycamore's in this one; wonder if we'll get to see him talk to Ash about Greninja or confront Alain for being a dick. Xerosic also appears.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Curious to see if Manon will recognise Ash as being the kid who jumped from Prism Tower. She should... but then Alain should have recognised Satoshi's name too lol so we'll see.

There is more than 1 person the whole world with the name of Ash, so that's not a shocker. Alain just can't up and assume like that.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Okay, that's it. I get that you're being sarcastic because you were annoyed by a few pages ago, but now you're the one who's becoming bothersome. We understand that you're not bashing in any way, so I'm sorry for that. But this is becoming just stupid.

Sorry maybe I took a step too far. I'm still pissed at the guy who calls the people who isn't satisfied immature. God knows where he went.

dp045

Someone thinks Malva tell Alain that must to be defeated against Ash by order of Lysandre? I mean, maybe this is the reason why you can see Alain be upset be talking to the Malva.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.