• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aug 4th: XY&Z036 - Fierce Fighting at the Kalos League! Gather, All of My Passion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pteranodonte

The writer's don't feel that battles are important. They're all about character development. We'll just have to deal with it.

They probably know what's best anyway.

No, this is just lazy writing. This League is rushed just because they need to end it quickly so they can start to promote the 7th gen. It's not about "character development".

As a writer myself (not an official writer, but someone who enjoys writing and in certain moments the passion to write), I am super pissed at how their handling the league. Check yourself.

You have an opinion, and that is all you have on this subject. Especially if I'm not mistaken, and I apologize if I am, you're suggesting they skip Ash vs Alain

As a (non official) writer, I know you don't treat your main character like crap after 19 years and be like: Yeah sure let's give Ash only ONE battle in a very important league.

You show Ash's struggles, you don't fill the league with meaningless nobodies to justify, oh look Ash is in the semi finals.

People FORGET, a Pokemon league is extremely important to Ash, it's one of the most important things Ash has, under his Pokemon, Friends, and other technically more important things, but it's part of who he is and wants to be.

I know the real Ash would be super pissed that most of his battles were skipped, and you can't honestly say I'm wrong, because if you were Ash you'd be pissed if most of your battles were skipped, because I know I would because it treats something that I find important and lessens it. Maybe Ash isn't THAT deep.

But Ash isn't worried about other people's concept of "Random Nobodies" he doesn't treat his opponents like "Nobodies" which is why I don't think Ash would ever approve of the way the writers are handling this league. But then again, Ash is a fictional character, and is a "written character" so obviously he's subject to change. But outside of bias, I know Ash would be extremely displeased about this league.

Explain when I tried judging episodes before they aired, in a positive way, I got screwed over? So no, I don't care, I'm going to be a jerk about this. And ask "WHY THE HELL did the make time for this, and continue to screw Ash over."

Well at least Ash will maybe have two battles.

You're missing the most important rule of TV and movies.

Tell, don't show!

If it's stated Ash wins what would it add to his character if they show the battle then?

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
You know what....NO! I was trying to be optimistic for the league opener, I ended up right (in my perspective).

I was really optimistic for the next episode, because HEY! Hawlucha was going to defeat Absol, I had hope for that episode.....crushed horribly.

Everyone forgets that Tomioka wrote the Sawsbuck episode in Unova.

So no, I don't care if Mairin shows up here, and she's here for Alain's battle, and gets to meet Ash (someone she was impressed).

I'm still going to say this episode is completely unnecessary and filler even if Alain vs Ash begins. So NOPE, I don't care. I've given up on the league outside of animation and the battles themselves.

Hard to really argue with you since... well, you're right. Seeing Mega Absol get beat after the first twenty seconds wasn't exactly inviting for any of us.

But just one question, WHAT about this episode makes it a filler? Sure, Chespin getting lost kinda got me scared at first, but at least the title doesn't allude fully to that. People have made the point that this could be a quick thing leading to some much needed plot development.

And Tomioka wrote the Sawsbuck episode, fine. But WHAT else has he written that's actually good? You can't just write this off because of just one little part to the episode. There's potential with Mairin, Team Flare, Alain, and your favorite in Ash for development.

If Mairin does show up here, I expect her to have somewhat of an awkward reunion with Alain, with him being a jerk as usual and not wanting her around. But hey, what do you care? To you, this is nothing more than a ******* FILLER!

*breathes* Quit judging so soon. We've got four weeks before we see this.

Hard to really argue with you since... well, you're right. Seeing Mega Absol get beat after the first twenty seconds wasn't exactly inviting for any of us.

But just one question, WHAT about this episode makes it a filler? Sure, Chespin getting lost kinda got me scared at first, but at least the title doesn't allude fully to that. People have made the point that this could be a quick thing leading to some much needed plot development.

And Tomioka wrote the Sawsbuck episode, fine. But WHAT else has he written that's actually good? You can't just write this off because of just one little part to the episode. There's potential with Mairin, Team Flare, Alain, and your favorite in Ash for development.

If Mairin does show up here, I expect her to have somewhat of an awkward reunion with Alain, with him being a jerk as usual and not wanting her around. But hey, what do you care? To you, this is nothing more than a ******* FILLER!

Listen to this guy! He's right.

We've had enough battles. Now is the time for plot development. We need to know what goes on inside the characters heads. Chespin is in desperate need for some character development.

dman_dustin

You're missing the most important rule of TV and movies.

Tell, don't show!

If it's stated Ash wins what would it add to his character if they show the battle then?

You're forgetting that if all they do is "Tell us" that it completely undermines the entire concept of having a television show or a movie to begin with.

"Tell not show" may be a great concept for novels or written text.

A VISUAL medium, MUST employ a "SHOW don't tell" concept. BECAUSE THAT"S THE POINT of a visual medium, is to SHOW us. When it comes to a visual medium, just telling us things defeats the purpose. Sometimes "Tell, don't show" may be employed to trick the audiences into believing one way but then it turns out to be wrong later, but that doesn't apply here, because the point isn't to trick us into believing something only to be wrong later. Therefore there's no justification for them to NOT show us HOW Ash won the league in a visual medium.

Akashin

You're forgetting that if all they do is "Tell us" that it completely undermines the entire concept of having a television show or a movie to begin with.

"Tell not show" may be a great concept for novels or written text.

A VISUAL medium, MUST employ a "SHOW don't tell" concept. BECAUSE THAT"S THE POINT of a visual medium, is to SHOW us. When it comes to a visual medium, just telling us things defeats the purpose. Sometimes "Tell, don't show" may be employed to trick the audiences into believing one way but then it turns out to be wrong later, but that doesn't apply here, because the point isn't to trick us into believing something only to be wrong later. Therefore there's no justification for them to NOT show us HOW Ash won the league in a visual medium.

They're being deliberately contrary, for whatever reason. You're probably better off assuming they feel the exact opposite.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

We've had enough battles. Now is the time for plot development. We need to know what goes on inside the characters heads. Chespin is in desperate need for some character development.

Chespin is in need for character development? Is that a joke? He had his chance back in the start of the series when his episode was about getting fat and eating.

How the **** is the time for character development? They should have thought about that early on, THIS IS THE LEAGUE. The entire reason Ash came to kalos at all. So right at the end when its coming to the climax of the league...that's when battling has been enough?

dman_dustin

AHHHHH 20 days. Is it because Naruto is taking over on the 28th, really Naruto you couldn't wait until after the Pokemon league to make up an episode? If it's NOT Naruto. God have mercy on our soul.

Um...let me repeat myself:

Explain when I tried judging episodes before they aired, in a positive way, I got screwed over? So no, I don't care, I'm going to be a jerk about this. And ask "WHY THE HELL did the make time for this, and continue to screw Ash over."

They're being deliberately contrary, for whatever reason. You're probably better off assuming they feel the exact opposite.
Uh, no, they're doing it because they're lazy. I mean I would like to be a little fair to them after all Sun and Moon is coming out soon.

BUT.......

1. We had needless fillers
2. We're likely going to have needless fillers after the league (after Team Flare).
3. We have ~5 episodes unaccounted for up to the likely release of the sun and moon anime, one will likely be filler.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
AHHHHH 20 days. Is it because Naruto is taking over on the 28th, really Naruto you couldn't wait until after the Pokemon league to make up an episode? If it's NOT Naruto. God have mercy on our soul.

Uh, no, they're doing it because they're lazy. I mean I would like to be a little fair to them after all Sun and Moon is coming out soon.

BUT.......

1. We had needless fillers
2. We're likely going to have needless fillers after the league (after Team Flare).
3. We have ~5 episodes unaccounted for up to the likely release of the sun and moon anime, one will likely be filler.

But dont you get it? The great character of Chespin needs his deep character development. **** ash and alain and the league, this is chespin's time to shine, baby!

Class Zero

We have arrived.

See, I want to say that you're being sarcastic..?

Squirtle_007

People are having really high expectations about this episode just because it's XY believing this will trigger Team Flare's climax ... Pfft!

XY has been so far "Ash and his fanboys", his cheerleaders companions are background fodder that only pops up to worship his god and then goes back to the shadows while Ash hogs the spotlight, the sole idea that a Pokémon not belonging to the main character will get some kind of relevance in Team Flare's arc in a saga where companions have reached a new bottom is utterly ridiculous.

The summary says he will finds "a special somebody" ... remember the summary from "Axew gets lost"?, it said something about "a special place" and it ended in nothing

Master_Tyrell

Hmm, a bit disappointed with the "getting lost" plot, it definitely has been used many times. Hopefully that person has importance in the coming episodes. My guess would be Mairin, for obvious reasons, or, possibly, Clemont's father. If it is either of them, then it would be a nice start to setting up the Flare finale. I'm actually hoping more for Clemont's father and the possibility that he is there because of Sycamore calling him about strange things happening behind doors. But, we never know until the episode is out so I'll wait.

But dont you get it? The great character of Chespin needs his deep character development. **** ash and alain and the league, this is chespin's time to shine, baby!

I knew you'd get it. Just trust the god writers.

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!

Okay. One, you don't know if this episode screws Ash over. Two, it's a while before we actually see the episode, along with potential scans around its plotline. Three, if it builds up the Ash V. Alain battle even further, I think you would be more than for it. And four, SHUT UP.

I'm not going to defend InfernoApe because he's wrong himself. No one needs character development at this point in the series. What I'd love to see is plot development, which is exactly what I am hoping for here. But hey, too quick to judge, right? *cracks knuckles*

Okay. One, you don't know if this episode screws Ash over. Two, it's a while before we actually see the episode, along with potential scans around its plotline. Three, if it builds up the Ash V. Alain battle even further, I think you would be more than for it. And four, SHUT UP.

I'm not going to defend InfernoApe because he's wrong himself. No one needs character development at this point in the series. What I'd love to see is plot development, which is exactly what I am hoping for here. But hey, too quick to judge, right? *cracks knuckles*

You can't just qualify other people's opinions as wrong. They're opinions. Character development is just as important as plot development. No plot without characters.

andrewscott48209

I do know that either:

1) The title is misleading,
2) The summary is misleading,
3) The summary is a side plot to the main plot,
4) This episode is a build up to:
a) the Team Flare arc, or
b) the finals.

DSDark

Breeder
You can't just qualify other people's opinions as wrong. They're opinions. Character development is just as important as plot development. No plot without characters.

The character development is fine, at the right time. The issue for most people is the timing and placement of this episode. It makes no sense and is a waste of time. The time waste could have been used to show more of ash's battles.

That right there is the problem with this league, They've only mostly told us about ash's battles, they didn't show much of Ash's battles. They showed one pokemon for his first round battle and then one pokemon for his quarter final match. With 64 participants that means we only two of ash's pokemon battle, not two full battles. We only saw two pokemon battle over the round of 64, 32, 16, and 8. All of those battles were 3vs3. So at most Ash would have used 12 pokemon and he definitely defeated 12 pokemon and we only saw two. That's absolutely pathetic.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

And four, SHUT UP.

Serebii forums has this amazing feature, that you should know about it. Not sure why you don't know about it but let me guide you to it.

Next to my Avatar is thing that says my username, click on it and it should bring up some options. Go to my profile. On the left side, you should see my name, and below it you will see my user rank, and then my Avatar. Below that, there is something that says "Add user to ignore list"

You should then be sent to a new page that says "Are you sure you want to add dman_dustin to your ignore list" click yes.

And use this feature for people, who you don't believe have the right to have an opinion, like me.

Then you can enjoy the forums, without worrying about you own inability to ignore my posts, that "somehow" triggers you so much.

The more you know.

Oh and to respond to something you said in relation to this episode:

if it builds up the Ash V. Alain battle even further, I think you would be more than for it.
Um....no. Clemont's Chespin getting lost has NO bearing on Alain vs Ash even if the character IS Mairin, because even if Mairin breaks down and cries at the sight of a Chespin to explain what's going on with her, it could've happened just by the sheer sight of Chespin.

But even so, I still would have a problem believing Mairin would visit Alain at the league, unless everything is happening at Lumiose City. Furthermore, this "plot" could've happened AFTER the league, unless it was specifically Lysandre, who tells Alain to purposely lose the battle against Ash but even then it didn't involve Clemont's Chespin getting LOST.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I have completely lost track of who's being sarcastic and who isn't now..

Either way, can't we all just be impressed by the fact that this episode is about a cast Pokemon besides Ash-Greninja?

I have completely lost track of who's being sarcastic and who isn't now..

Either way, can't we all just be impressed by the fact that this episode is about a cast Pokemon besides Ash-Greninja?

What's left but to be a cynic after this...

Status
Not open for further replies.