• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 10th: SM37 - Iwanko and the Guardian Deity from the Ruins of Life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
All the people saying the design ins't lazy and unoriginal. IT IS!! It looks just like the midday form turned ugly orange. Besides it also looks boring not interesting or epic at all. Very disappointed. Maybe my thoughts will change when I see it in actions. I hope.
And this is why we don't get our expectations up. Comes from expecting something like this to be Lycanroc-3.

As multiple people have explained, it's meant to be a mix of the two forms.
I think its quite likely. The Lycanroc forms are based on the different times of the day and are counterparts of each other, so it's only logical to expect a Dawn form counterpart to a Dusk form.
I'm not dismissing the possibility, I just haven't seen anything that convinces me a fourth form exists yet. I also don't see the need to deliberately hide it from us when they just revealed Dusk form, even if it's not debuting in the anime yet.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I think its quite likely. The Lycanroc forms are based on the different times of the day and are counterparts of each other, so it's only logical to expect a Dawn form counterpart to a Dusk form.

Heard its called Twilight form in Japanese, Dusk just being the english localisation (in which case this case this is prertty much it)

Plus this is already the first branched evolution to have 3 possible evo's rather than just 2, getting 4 would kinda be pushing it imo

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
But if Dusk is available in both versions of Ultra, then wouldn't a Dawn form be pointless?

Even Midday and Midnight were both available in SM. By counterpart, I don't mean version exclusives, but rather representing the opposite of each other.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Even Midday and Midnight were both available in SM. By counterpart, I don't mean version exclusives, but rather representing the opposite of each other.
Yeah, the opposite version was available in the wild. It was specifically stated that Dusk form would be unobtainable in the wild. If Dusk form is unobtainable in the wild, then a hypothetical Dawn form would be unobtainable in the wild, too.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Heard its called Twilight form in Japanese, Dusk just being the english localisation (in which case this case this is prertty much it)

Plus this is already the first branched evolution to have 3 possible evo's rather than just 2, getting 4 would kinda be pushing it imo

Sunset would have been a better term I think.

I really feel like the two forms would have been perfect for it with Ash's evolving into Midday whereas Olivia and Gladion had Midnight.

Eevee should have been the one and only Pokemon with a gazillion forms.

ShadowForce720

No, not really considering Eevee has 8 evolutions, Tyrogue has 3 evolutions and Burmy has 4 evolutions.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
My excitement for the episode has gone down the drain two hours after Pokenchi.

I was looking forward to seeing the new form. Really wish it had been kept a secret until Thursday.

Will also teach me to stay from the homepage because that doesn't help matters.
You could still be excited or look forward to seeing Gladion and Type Null though.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah, the opposite version was available in the wild. It was specifically stated that Dusk form would be unobtainable in the wild. If Dusk form is unobtainable in the wild, then a hypothetical Dawn form would be unobtainable in the wild, too.

That still doesn't mean that a potential Dawn form can't exist even if they can't be caught in the wild. All I'm saying is since the Lycanroc forms are supposed to represent the Day, the Night, and now the Dusk, it would seem quite odd if there wasn't a represent for Dawn.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero

Red and Blue meant version exclusive evolution. (Explain: If you have Moon, you can't evolve Rockruff into Midday)

You can find Midday and Midnight in the wild, but Dusk Form can not be found. You can obtain Dusk Form by evolving Rockruff.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
it has the stance of midday, the hair of midnight, and both green and red eyes. oh and it's orange because it's a dusk form. seems alright to me, i like the design.

what i didn't like is that they showed the entire evolution sequence, lol i'm never watching these previews on pokenchi again.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
You could still be excited or look forward to seeing Gladion and Type Null though.

Crap.

I totally forgot both existed after regretting watching Pokenchi.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
it has the stance of midday, the hair of midnight, and both green and red eyes. oh and it's orange because it's a dusk form. seems alright to me, i like the design.

what i didn't like is that they showed the entire evolution sequence, lol i'm never watching these previews on pokenchi again.
Yeah I took issue with that as well. You'd think they'll tease us. It seems like Ash and co was looking for Rockruff the whole day. I wished they kept it a bit longer. And speaking of co, I hope it's just Ash, Pikachu, Prof Kukui, and Rotomdex looking for Rockruff. The whole gang really aren't necessary in this episode. Gladion is an exception. There'll be way too many characters.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I think Olivia too. But the others aren't necessary. Maybe they can be looking for Rockruff else where. Not necessary - but not useless.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I actually like the design of Dusk Form Lycanroc. It has Midday Lycanroc's quadrupedal stance, stand-up ears, and long tail, but Midnight Lycanroc's crescent moon-shaped ruff. I don't know how I feel about the orange fur, but orange is the dominant color of sunset (as others have already pointed out), and it's a nice cross between Midday form's brown fur and Midnight form's red fur. And I do like the green eyes.

As for that evolution sequence... That was gorgeous. I loved how we actually got to see Rockruff's tail and snout grow longer and its ears stand up. I just wish Pokénchi hadn't spoiled the entire evolution sequence, as I would have liked that to have been a surprise. :( But I suppose marketing takes priority over secrecy.

They mentioned that last episode too. It's not an inconsistency they're going to retcon, they're going SOMEWHERE with it.
I'm really curious as to where the writers (and the game developers perhaps) are going with this. As you said, it was mentioned in SM36 that there are only two forms of Lycanroc, so it seems Dusk Lycanroc is an unknown form. That makes me wonder what the requirements are for Rockruff to evolve into Dusk Lycanroc, aside from the probable requirement of evolving when the green flash of sunset is visible. I wonder if one of the Tapus has to be involved.

Also confirmed: USM's new Pokemon will consist of nothing but different forms of Lycanroc based on what hour you evolve it. Gen VIII will consist of Lycanroc forms depending on the minute you evolve it, and Gen IX will have the forms dependent on the second it begins to evolve.
LMAO! ^O^

dman_dustin

All the people saying the design ins't lazy and unoriginal. IT IS!! It looks just like the midday form turned ugly orange. Besides it also looks boring not interesting or epic at all. Very disappointed. Maybe my thoughts will change when I see it in actions. I hope.

You honestly can't just look at Ash's Lycanroc and say "That's just a recolored" Midday form, because its not.

It look bigger than either form, has a midnight pronounced back fur, it even has Midnight's emo bang fur.

Seriously, it looks pretty much what I would expect a hypothetical mega evolution for Midday Lycanroc form to look. Just like Manectric and Mega Manectric.

It is not just SIMPLY a recolor. The two are pretty different to justify calling it a form difference.

Just enough difference to justify a Male and Female Meowstic or even a Male or Female Pyroar.

This is supposed to be a Lycanroc, and if it does have a secondary type, could easily pass off as similar to an Alolan Form of sorts.

Alolan Vulpix is equally just a recolored Vulpix with a different tail. People thought Alolan Vulpix was beautiful and cute, and I don't recall anyone complaining it was just a recolored Vulpix.

Not sure why Dusk form is getting crapped on, unless you really dislike the color orange.

Sure a radical form difference would've been interesting, but at the same time might not have made sense.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I think it's specifically because people were expecting something drastically different from the other two forms, like the one I posted earlier, that there's disappointment. People may have even been expecting Ultra Space to be involved and got their expectations up. I didn't really know what to expect, personally, but I wasn't expecting anything drastically different from Midday or Midnight personally.

Mind you, Alolan Vulpix is also at least a different type from Kanto Vulpix, so it at least has that going for it. Whereas Dusk Form is probably still a pure Rock type.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
You honestly can't just look at Ash's Lycanroc and say "That's just a recolored" Midday form, because its not.

It look bigger than either form, has a midnight pronounced back fur, it even has Midnight's emo bang fur.

Seriously, it looks pretty much what I would expect a hypothetical mega evolution for Midday Lycanroc form to look. Just like Manectric and Mega Manectric.

It is not just SIMPLY a recolor. The two are pretty different to justify calling it a form difference.

Just enough difference to justify a Male and Female Meowstic or even a Male or Female Pyroar.

This is supposed to be a Lycanroc, and if it does have a secondary type, could easily pass off as similar to an Alolan Form of sorts.

Alolan Vulpix is equally just a recolored Vulpix with a different tail. People thought Alolan Vulpix was beautiful and cute, and I don't recall anyone complaining it was just a recolored Vulpix.

Not sure why Dusk form is getting crapped on, unless you really dislike the color orange.

Sure a radical form difference would've been interesting, but at the same time might not have made sense.

I'm not someone who is particularly displeased with the Lycanroc but regarding your color comment, there is a difference between the appearances of Vulpix and Lycanroc, mainly about color contrast. Vulpix was changed from orange to light blue. That is a drastic color change in colour hues. Lycanroc was changed from light brown to orange (comparing to Midday because its body shape is the most distinct similarity) which isn't much of a change. That is why nobody complained about the color change for Vulpix and are complaining about Lycanroc. Yes it makes sense for the reasoning and I have no problem with it, but people outside of watching the anime (since it showed the sunset scene in the preview) had no expectations of how the Lycanroc form might work. All they speculated was a new Lycanroc form and were not thinking about the reasoning. Hence when they saw the reveal was so similar, they were not satisfied with the colouring.

Regarding your other form difference examples: the Meowstics had very different colour patterns. While they both used Dark Blue and White, each one focused on a different colour with lighter touches of the other. Male and Female Pyroar had different manes which were very noticeable. Mega Manetric's mane was blown up significantly more, with its yellow fur changing from just its head and its leg joints to its whole body, and its posture changed to more bent down.

This new Lycanroc's body, barring the size, is the same body as Midday Lycanroc with Midnight's fur on top, even with its emo bang fur as you describe. The thing is, I'm looking at a side-by-side comparison of Midday and Dusk and, if you compare Midday and Dusk's fur, the only difference is near the head part and the emo bang fur. The 4 black spikes around the neck have been a part of Midday already and the longer fur near its chest is already part of Midday. It is extremely similar to Midday in body shape, and the fur from the collar down is the same as Midday's. Only the top part of the fur is actually different. The only differences between Dusk and Midday are the top part of the fur, the body colour shade, the eye colour, and the size, which most people don't care about unless it turned into Wailord or something.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
I haven't been following leaks so this whole thing came out of the blue for me. Quite frankly the word I'd use to describe it is "uninspired". If it came out on its own without Midday or Midnight then it would've been fine and my reaction would've been different, granted it looks better in the anime than its game counterpart. Right now I'm positively whelmed. Doesn't help the preview got rid of all the mystery for this episode.

I understand the concept and all but that doesn't make it any less bleh in my eyes. I don't agree with justifying it through means of Alolan forms existing because they're two completely different situations. I also can't see how this is an "innovative" design as I swear I saw one person say (maybe not here but elsewhere) because it really isn't when you look at it.

Even though it may not have come out in what I said, I do like the form on its own. Just the circumstances surrounding it make it a bit sketchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.