• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 20th: PM2019 077 - A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupidKirby

These are fictional characters. They don’t have ‘choices’, they can’t be at fault. It’s up to writers to give them something, and on this occasion they choose to not allow volkner to have anything. My problem is while there is nothing preventing volkner from getting any gimmick to strengthen himself storywise, unlike characters whose story revolves around rejecting the gimmicks, the writers choose to keep him static. Then againts this static opponent the writers choose to suddenly up what ash brings without appropriate threat escalation, so i think the writers screwed up.

Those things actually follow the same logic, though. They don’t want ash to just stomp through gyms, so they have ash use new pokemons, but also lower the power of the gyms to match. Throughout the series the power of both ash and his opponents are scaled to match, even with gimmicks. In XY, aside from korinna who was the designated mega evolution showcase even in the game, ash didn’t fight mega evolutions until he had greninja. There’s no reason to not give the other gym leaders megas as well if it wasn’t to keep things balanced, or on the other hand no reason to give wulfric a mega otherwise. While everyone of importance had a z ring in alola. Now they have ash fight someone he already beat, with barely any change in his opponents team or arsenal, with a team people have been claiming to be one of if not his best, and then give him a gimmick even though he hasn’t really had much trouble to this point. It just seem like overkill from the get go.

I’m not singling out z moves. All gimmicks feel cheap when having it or not becomes what decides the match. Imagine how lame it would’ve been if the only reason leon won againts lance and got his rank 1 earlier in the series was because he had dynamax and lance didn’t, and then had his charizard just stomp gyarados.

And I ask you this: why does every important battle that Ash is in have to be an even match? On the contrary and in my opinion, I think it's boring and bad writing not to shake things up a little once in a while. Maybe the point is to show us how much Ash has improved since Sinnoh by having his opponent stagnate. Maybe the point is for him to use the z-move recklessly and hence waste the opportunity it provides. Maybe Ash loses to prove that Volkner is way ahead of him by defeating him without a mega or z-move. Maybe the point is for him to step it up a notch because he realizes that he's in the big leagues now and needs to give it everything he has instead of meandering around with memory loss.

You are singling out Z-moves at least a little. You forgot that Korrina also fought Ash in Journeys with a mega evolution (the specialty of her region) when he didn't have Ash-Greninja or anything equivalent to face her yet he still won. Why does having a z-move when your opponent doesn't equal an auto win when the same is not true for mega evolutions?

Last edited:
The fact they said Ash would be unbeatable kind of means he hasn't experienced any losses so far, just as there is no proof that he has won a lot. It's pretty stupid.
For some reason it took me a couple of times to understand what you said here lol, but that's a pretty good encapsulation of the situation(if I'm understanding you correctly)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
For some reason it took me a couple of times to understand what you said here lol, but that's a pretty good encapsulation of the situation(if I'm understanding you correctly)
Wait, what was confusing about this? There was a recent piece of news that said the writers were going to make Ash unbeatable, and we really haven't seen zilch of Ash's skipping ranks offscreen or whether he has lost at times.

Wait, what was confusing about this? There was a recent piece of news that said the writers were going to make Ash unbeatable, and we really haven't seen zilch of Ash's skipping ranks offscreen or whether he has lost at times.
Yeah I knew about that, it's just how you worded the second part of your statement that there's no proof he lost that had me do a double take.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
And I ask you this: why does every important battle that Ash is in have to be an even match? On the contrary and in my opinion, I think it's boring and bad writing not to shake things up a little once in a while. Maybe the point is to show us how much Ash has improved since Sinnoh by having his opponent stagnate. Maybe the point is for him to use the z-move recklessly and hence waste the opportunity it provides. Maybe Ash loses to prove that Volkner is way ahead of him by defeating him without a mega or z-move. Maybe the point is for him to step it up a notch because he realizes that he's in the big leagues now and needs to give it everything he has instead of meandering around with memory loss.

You are singling out Z-moves at least a little. You forgot that Korrina also fought Ash in Journeys with a mega evolution (the specialty of her region) when he didn't have Ash-Greninja or anything equivalent to face her yet he still won. Why does having a z-move when your opponent doesn't equal an auto win when the same is not true for mega evolutions?
What’s the point in watching a fight where there’s no challenge for ash? ‘We just want to show ash demolish this stagnant gym leader with an overkill gimmick’ is not entertaining. If they wanted to do a power fantasy then just do it from the start by having ash always bring his ace and sweep everything with all the gimmicks he has. What’s the point of that dumb ‘scared of tentacles’ story, when he could just z move his problems away? What’s the point of taking it slow till now? But pokemon as series has never been a power fantasy that just want to give ash easy wins, and trying to do it now is just dumb.

Korrina already lost with ash not having a gimmick. She was already joke even with a gimmick, ash repeating the feat isn’t anything special. If ash was steamrolling everything in the PWC with greninja, i would also call it cheap. And that’s the thing, winning with by gimmick feels cheap and begs the question if they would win if the other side had something remotely similar, losing despite gimmick just makes the loss even worse. Ash would look pathetic if he loses despite a z move advantage to a gym leader, but winning with it won’t look impressive either.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Anyone think that Ash's Charizard will Giganta Max in Journeys? It would be interesting to see.
Hopefully so, it'd be nice to have a Charizard with an actual personality perform a gimmick.
Being 'unbeatable' like Alain and Leon isn't a personality trait

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Friend of mine on Twitter sent me screencaps of the Chinese leaker's account cause they posted new leaks and and after that, I'm pretty hyped now. A lot of my concerns on just an episode level basis at least seem to have been addressed.

ok so what happens this time?

granted all i really care about is what happens with the Z-move, nothing else.

Morax

King of heroes
Friend of mine on Twitter sent me screencaps of the Chinese leaker's account cause they posted new leaks and and after that, I'm pretty hyped now. A lot of my concerns on just an episode level basis at least seem to have been addressed.
Can you spoil the episode without spoiling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.