• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 25th: SM136 - Rising Fire! More Than One Rival!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Quad-resisting a bunch of Grass-type attacks (Mukuroh is Grass/Flying thus he also had the advantage as well) on top of Feather Dance lowering the damage output on top of Sky Attack not being properly charged is plot armour? On top of having a plan to fight against Junaiper?
Plot armor in that Rowlet survived against a fully-evolved pokemon beating the utter tar out of it, eating an entire Z-Move, and taking it out in two hits with a move that causes RECOIL DAMAGE

Yes, that is plot armor
You’ve been leery about the entire series friend, why watch Sun&Moon when you clearly want XY and clearly don’t like it or admit constantly to not enjoying it?
I watch it so I can correct people's constant spouting of misinformation, because the amount of spin people put on episodes to make them seem like the Best Thing Ever is enough to make Ping-Pong champions green with envy

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Rowlet resisting that many attacks from a fully evolved Pokemon is a bit weird, considering he hasn't trained as much as Pikachu, Sunny D-roc, or Torracat.

Either Hau's Decidueye is the weakest Decidueye to ever exist, or all that eating gave Rowlet flab armor. It speaks volumes when Rowlet fell asleep at random after receiving an onslaught.
Probably both. Also, lol, both Decidueye and Primarina lost in the Top 8 while Incineroar is the final boss

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Plot armor in that Rowlet survived against a fully-evolved pokemon beating the utter tar out of it, eating an entire Z-Move, and taking it out in two hits with a move that causes RECOIL DAMAGE

I just literally went back and saw this episode a little while ago. Mukuroh more or less equaled its final form blow for blow, Razor Leaf for Razor Leaf, Sky Attack v. Brave Bird, he got hit by a stray Leaf Blade here but certainly not “beaten the tar out of of.” Also you continue to ignore its DOUBLE RESISTANCE / ADVANTAGE over the Grass and Ghost-type opponent he was up against on top of the usage of Feather Dance and the fact it shed its cloak to avoid the Z-Move and didn’t even get hit by it.

On top of Junaiper not even using Sky Attack at full power and him perfecting Feather Dance to escape and finish the fight. Yes, BB does cause recoil damage, the characters pointed that out, Mukuroh still buffered and evaded enough of those strikes to continue on. Also this same Mukuroh beat this Junaiper when it was a Fukuthrow and specifically trained and prepared to fight this opponent again and there was clear foreshadowing, build up and payoff from the entire affair. Hardly could be called plot armour by definition.

I watch it so I can correct people's constant spouting of misinformation, because the amount of spin people put on episodes to make them seem like the Best Thing Ever is enough to make Ping-Pong champions green with envy
Its not your responsibility to watch a show under the guise of “correcting people’s thoughts” or whatever. If someone wants to view an episode of Pokemon anime as the best thing ever and they aren’t hurting anyone why do you care? I think people spend more time correcting your misinformation than the other way around. Claiming things like Midnight, Rock-type, hellhound Lugarugan surviving Shell Trap as being nonsense while completely 100% ignoring the characters in the show pointing out the reason for Gladion’s Lugarugan’s rampage not screwing it over for example or the lore behind the fact Gladion trained this Pokemon specifically to eat attacks (It’s signature move is Counter, after all) only spreads misinformation and confusion.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl

And so what if some of us think the SM anime is 'the Best Thing Ever'? There is no correcting subjectivity. I genuinely enjoy this saga even more than XY, which I also love. Who cares?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That whole battle with Rowlet was just a joke, I honestly don't expect redemption from him as Rowlet seems the more likely to job the finals out of anyone if Ash is using the full squad.

Indeed, SM can do no wrong in their eyes! Say otherwise and you'll get viciously attacked!

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The people who think you can only like one saga at a time, for whatever reason

The SM saga has brought out the worst in the fandom
Let me know when people who like Sun&Moon are making death threats against writers over shipping via social media then we can talk. Guess what? I like AG, DP, BW, and SM and I enjoy returning to OS&XY even if they aren’t my most favorite sagas and I had a fair amount of criticism to say about XY at times. Why does it bother you so much that people enjoy a saga / series that you feel the need to watch it to “correct” opinions. No fun allowed? I’m just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
Indeed, SM can do no wrong in their eyes! Say otherwise and you'll get viciously attacked!

I'm sure there are fans like that, which is terrible, but it's not like other sagas like XY or even other fandoms in general don't have people like that. There are a lot of us who love SM but aren't oblivious to the mistakes of the saga. I love the characters, the fact that each episode links to a recurring or main character instead of a COTD, I adore what they did to Team Rocket (god forbid they ruin the league though...), but I can assure you I realize the battle side of SM is sorely lacking (Rowlet vs. Decidueye was definitely a joke and most kahuna battles were not even that great at all), that along with actual character progression for some of the characters. Though the latter is an issue I think Pokemon has in general.

I will forever defend SM as what is in my opinion the best series in the anime, but it really doesn't mean I think it's perfect and I can see why some people, especially the more battle-oriented people, would hate it.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Plot armor in that Rowlet survived against a fully-evolved pokemon beating the utter tar out of it, eating an entire Z-Move

Rowlet didn't eat an entire Z move, but if you watch carefully when sinister arrow raid hit rowlet almost blow up, I'm pretty sure rowlet use his feather substitute dance before juniper hit him, just ash doesn't realize it

jrizza88

Meteorite
I honestly think if Torracat doesn't knock out both, what will happen is it will do well against Golisopod , but will use emergency exit, making scizor come out. It will beat scizor but goliospod will come back out causing Pikachu to get a revenge match to defeat it.

My fear with this though, is I do feel like if Ash does manage to win the final it should and has to be pikachu that lands the final blow, meaning I can't see Pikachu starring twice, unless Pikachu just takes one win in the final match

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
My fear with this though, is I do feel like if Ash does manage to win the final it should and has to be pikachu that lands the final blow, meaning I can't see Pikachu starring twice, unless Pikachu just takes one win in the final match
I'm sure Torracat will redeem itself against Incineroar, because even if Ash loses to Gladion (probably due to Zoroark, who none of his pokémon care about so all that really matters is Duskroc beating Midroc and everyone taking on Silvally) Gladion is probably going to let Ash battle Royal

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
KvKRw6b.jpg
9k2P9Lc.jpg

Please show me where Rowlet avoided the move
I repeat what I said the last time:

Making it look like a character got caught up in some seemingly inescapable danger and then after the fact going "PSYCHE! THEY ACTUALLY GOT OUT OF THE WAY!" is pretty standard childrens' show fare though. I remember this being brought up in an analysis of that part in Dragon Ball Z where Goku is clearly shown as still being on Namek when the planet exploded, and then later they revealed that, nope, he actually found a working space pod at the last second and escaped the planet unscathed! To quote Kanzenshuu...
Why would they do something so silly? It likely has to do with a difference in perspective between older fans and Dragon Ball‘s younger intended audience (and by extension the anime staff writing with them in mind). Older fans (and we are generalizing here, of course) tend to want consistency and continuity in their stories, whereas younger fans are not quite as concerned about that. There is a long tradition for stories aimed at children to feature the hero making miraculous escapes from certain doom. Early movie serials are a good example: the Commando Cody serials, for instance, always ended with a cliffhanger that seemed to depict Cody and his friends’ actual deaths, through such various methods as plane crashes, death traps, and lava flows. The next episode in the serial though would recap the last serial’s ending, and insert completely new footage of Cody and company bailing out of the plane just in time, fleeing the lava through a previously unseen passageway, etc. (when the Cody shorts were featured on the movie-mocking show Mystery Science Theater 3000, Tom Servo wryly noted that Cody was always saved thanks to editing). To older audiences this may seem shameless and cheap, but kids tend to eat this up. The anime staff was likely following this tradition when they decided to make Goku’s death seem even more certain than in the manga, despite knowing he would survive — the more inescapable the peril, the more exciting it is when the hero actually does escape. It is what the kids want, and continuity is not always the driving concern.
Mokuroh clearly being hit by the Z-Move only for them to then go "Nope! He actually evaded it by shedding his cloak!" afterwards is just a... less death-defying version of the same trick.

So yeah. They totally animated him being hit by the move, only to then say that didn't happen. Does it make logical sense? Not at all, but the scene was never made with the intent of being analyzed frame by frame by nitpicky adults. I'm not exactly a huge fan of giving things a pass just for being aimed at kids but... In this case that really is the explanation.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
. I'm not exactly a huge fan of giving things a pass just for being aimed at kids but... In this case that really is the explanation.
In an age where five-year old kids have smartphones and are browsing the internet and playing video games, that reasoning doesn't really work anymore, unfortunately

Besides, if we actually adhered to that ideology, forums would be pretty bare of conversation and we probably wouldn't be talking about things that happened two decades ago

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
In an age where five-year old kids have smartphones and are browsing the internet and playing video games, that reasoning doesn't really work anymore, unfortunately

Besides, if we actually adhered to that ideology, forums would be pretty bare of conversation and we probably wouldn't be talking about things that happened two decades ago

Yeah, it still does apply. Kids have short attention spans. Especially the ones under 10, aka the target audience. They're as likely to forget what happened during the commercial break as remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.