• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 26th: PM2019 122 - The Semifinals I: Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
There's also probably some variations between the regions on deciding how to elevate someone to Champion, similar to political leaders around the globe.

Galar itself selects its Champion in a publicized sport circuit. It's not exactly an intimate affair compared to the likes of Unova.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Lmao @ Kazuya Mishima. Pokken was a tease for this episode.

I made myself laugh now imagining Charizard going out of GMax form, only because he activated Rage Drive and proceeded to Heaven's Door Mega Gardevoir into the dirt for the win.

Rune Knight

Maybe, Diantha after ends up taking out Leon's first two pokémon, Charizard solely manages to then take out all three members of her team who were already weakened from their previous battles. Thus making it a "sweep."

Here's what I can see the battle looking like, if it is a 3v3:

1. Leon sends out Charizard and Diantha sends out Gourgeist.
  2. Charizard inflicts a burn on Gourgeist.
  3. Diantha recalls Gourgeist.
  4. Diantha sends out Gardevoir.
  5. Leon recalls Charizard.
  6. Leon sends out Dragapult.
  7. Dragapult inflicts some damage on Gardevoir.
  8. Gardevoir takes out Dragapult.
  9. Diantha recalls Gardevoir.
  10. Leon sends out Rillaboom and Diantha sends out Tyrantrum.
  11. Rillaboom inflicts some damage on Tyrantrum.
  12. Tyrantrum takes out Rillaboom.
  13. Leon sends out Charizard.
  14. Charizard takes out Tyrantrum (who was already on low health).
  15. Diantha sends out Gourgeist.
  16. Charizard takes out Gourgeist (who was already on low health and burned).
  17. Diantha sends out Gardevoir.
  18. Diantha mega-evolves Gardevoir.
  19. Leon mega-evolves Charizard into Charizard-Y.
  20. Charizard-Y takes out Mega Gardevoir.
  21. Leon wins.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I do question what’s going on with this. Leon is sweeping his opponents and Ash is struggling (assuming Cynthia isn’t just an extended curbstomp). Granted his first opponent wasn’t a Champion and miles behind, how are we suppose to believe he’s gonna defeat Leon? It’s just proving further and further Ash is out of place here and they keep trying to make him seem powerful and the small guy at the same time.

Wish i had caught this earlier.

Leon so far is essentially Alain 2.0, yeah he sweeps people alright...but only with one pokemon for the most part. Sure Rilaboom took out Alain's Chesnaught, but it in turn got beaten quickly afterwards.

Every other major battle he's been involved in, he always falls back on his Charizard to handle things.

Alain's already put a chink into his team by beating Rilaboom, since if all his pokemon were supposed to be on the same level, it wouldn't have gone down so easily despite losing to a move that had type advantage, especially with speed boosts on it's side.

If Diantha beats more of his pokemon besides his Charizard, and it has to bail him out against her by doing most of the work itself, all that's gonna tell me is that Leon is a one pokemon show, which I personally think is stupid, I wasn't amused by Alain being that way, and he's pretty much proving to be no different.

Heck the other champions are showing better results because more than just 1 pokemon they have is capable of doing great things in battle.

nuzamaki90

Wish i had caught this earlier.

Leon so far is essentially Alain 2.0, yeah he sweeps people alright...but only with one pokemon for the most part. Sure Rilaboom took out Alain's Chesnaught, but it in turn got beaten quickly afterwards.

Every other major battle he's been involved in, he always falls back on his Charizard to handle things.

Alain's already put a chink into his team by beating Rilaboom, since if all his pokemon were supposed to be on the same level, it wouldn't have gone down so easily despite losing to a move that had type advantage, especially with speed boosts on it's side.

If Diantha beats more of his pokemon besides his Charizard, and it has to bail him out against her by doing most of the work itself, all that's gonna tell me is that Leon is a one pokemon show, which I personally think is stupid, I wasn't amused by Alain being that way, and he's pretty much proving to be no different.

Heck the other champions are showing better results because more than just 1 pokemon they have is capable of doing great things in battle.
Makes you wonder why so many anipoke fans hate Leon but love Alain

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Oh trust this a new phenomenon. There is somebody in the Masters 8 they hate even more and that’s why Alain is loved all of a sudden and now they’re mad said character didn’t receive the same fate as him despite being upset it happened to him. The call is coming from inside the house.

Last edited:

Rune Knight

If I remember correctly, Leon has already been confirmed to be using G-max in this fight, so there will be no Mega Charizard Y.

Oh I didn't know. I just thought it would be a fun to include it as a possibility. If it is confirmed then I would just switch out the Mega for the G-Max.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Maybe, Diantha after ends up taking out Leon's first two pokémon, Charizard solely manages to then take out all three members of her team who were already weakened from their previous battles. Thus making it a "sweep."

Here's what I can see the battle looking like, if it is a 3v3:

1. Leon sends out Charizard and Diantha sends out Gourgeist.
  2. Charizard inflicts a burn on Gourgeist.
  3. Diantha recalls Gourgeist.
  4. Diantha sends out Gardevoir.
  5. Leon recalls Charizard.
  6. Leon sends out Dragapult.
  7. Dragapult inflicts some damage on Gardevoir.
  8. Gardevoir takes out Dragapult.
  9. Diantha recalls Gardevoir.
  10. Leon sends out Rillaboom and Diantha sends out Tyrantrum.
  11. Rillaboom inflicts some damage on Tyrantrum.
  12. Tyrantrum takes out Rillaboom.
  13. Leon sends out Charizard.
  14. Charizard takes out Tyrantrum (who was already on low health).
  15. Diantha sends out Gourgeist.
  16. Charizard takes out Gourgeist (who was already on low health and burned).
  17. Diantha sends out Gardevoir.
  18. Diantha mega-evolves Gardevoir.
  19. Leon mega-evolves Charizard into Charizard-Y.
  20. Charizard-Y takes out Mega Gardevoir.
  21. Leon wins.
Semis are 6v6 so you need to add Hawlucha, Aurorus and Goodra into the equation.

I totally see Mr Rime nullifing Aurorus Dual Screens

Rune Knight

Semis are 6v6 so you need to add Hawlucha, Aurorus and Goodra into the equation.

I totally see Mr Rime nullifing Aurorus Dual Screens

Nevermind again.

Now I cannot see this being an actual "sweep" in the way that I envisioned it unless Leon pulls a serious trump over all six of Diantha's pokémon, and nor do I want it to go down that way!

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Something that might contribute to this is the fact that Mr Rime’s special ability is Screen Cleaner and if the anime bothers to remember that abilities exist then Diantha fortifying herself won’t work this time

Yce288

Grass type FTW
I'm pretty sure the anime retconned Hyper Beam as we saw in Lance VS Diantha, but it has yet to retcon charging moves like Solar Beam and Sky Attack.

Xuxuba

Didn't he outrank Ash in that shonen characters popularity poll? He is pretty popular on twitter at least.

I think the criticism goes mainly towards his battles being boring to watch than the character itself being awful. It's no fun when the opponent doesn't put up a fight.

Tho Alain swept a few characters, when it came to stronger foes, like Siebold, Malva, Steven, Hoenn's legendaries, Ash and Lysandre, at the very least he struggled and even lost sometimes.

As for Leon, it makes sense for his character not to lose, given it's title. But they can make him unbeatable while making him sweat a bit sometimes. Otherwise, it doesn't make him look strong as much as it makes the opponent look weak.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Didn't he outrank Ash in that shonen characters popularity poll? He is pretty popular on twitter at least.

I think the criticism goes mainly towards his battles being boring to watch than the character itself being awful. It's no fun when the opponent doesn't put up a fight.

Tho Alain swept a few characters, when it came to stronger foes, like Siebold, Malva, Steven, Hoenn's legendaries, Ash and Lysandre, at the very least he struggled and even lost sometimes.

As for Leon, it makes sense for his character not to lose, given it's title. But they can make him unbeatable while making him sweat a bit sometimes. Otherwise, it doesn't make him look strong as much as it makes the opponent look weak.
Look Gladion vs Kiawe. It was a good way to hype Gladion and not make Kiawe a total loser.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
I think one of the key differences is the "stage".

Even if Alan was crazy strong, it was only at League Level. Siebold completely destroyed him and Malva was taking the piss when fighting him so >d-doesn't count.
Pretty much everyone else Alan fought was just a characters of the day, except for Trevor I suppose. So in that regard there was no hard feelings about his victories since it was against literally whos. It was just cool showcases of Mega vs Mega.
And I think this is important, but Alan's Charizard X is the first prominent Charizard there's been in the anime since Ash's one. Point being is that Charizard Shilling was just at its "beginnings" for lack of a better word so people gave it a pass.
Also, edgelord design which may look goofy since he's cosplaying as Charizard X or look "cool" for exactly the same reason.

Meanwhile Leon's crazy strong but at World Level.
Pokemon is a franchise that lives and dies by leaving up things ambiguous so Leon gets dropped out of nowhere and now this random dude who looks like a walking ad is now the supposed STRONGEST Trainer of them all and he's the STRONGEST, INVINCIBLE, UNDEFEATED, UNBEATABLE CHAMPION alongside with C-C-CHARIZARD from K-K-KANTOOOOOOOO. Just because we say so. The ambiguity is over, no more headcanon, this is what it is now. All the other Champions before him? All other Trainers? They don't reach his ankles. It ruined that previous ambiguity, and I'm sure everyone here knows that one thing people abhor is having their headcanons ruined so suddenly like that.
So now this new dude out of nowhere is now the best, has a very controversial design, his ace is not even from his region as is one Pokemon that over the years has been shoved down people's throats to newfound levels of obnoxiousness, and has an entire region where everyone worships the ground he stands on and the air his ace flies through.

Of course feathers would get ruffled.

Honestly, the only real similarities Leon and Alan have is both of them having a Charizard as an Ace. Absolutely everything else about them is different.

nuzamaki90

I think one of the key differences is the "stage".

Even if Alan was crazy strong, it was only at League Level. Siebold completely destroyed him and Malva was taking the piss when fighting him so >d-doesn't count.
Pretty much everyone else Alan fought was just a characters of the day, except for Trevor I suppose. So in that regard there was no hard feelings about his victories since it was against literally whos. It was just cool showcases of Mega vs Mega.
And I think this is important, but Alan's Charizard X is the first prominent Charizard there's been in the anime since Ash's one. Point being is that Charizard Shilling was just at its "beginnings" for lack of a better word so people gave it a pass.
Also, edgelord design which may look goofy since he's cosplaying as Charizard X or look "cool" for exactly the same reason.

Meanwhile Leon's crazy strong but at World Level.
Pokemon is a franchise that lives and dies by leaving up things ambiguous so Leon gets dropped out of nowhere and now this random dude who looks like a walking ad is now the supposed STRONGEST Trainer of them all and he's the STRONGEST, INVINCIBLE, UNDEFEATED, UNBEATABLE CHAMPION alongside with C-C-CHARIZARD from K-K-KANTOOOOOOOO. Just because we say so. The ambiguity is over, no more headcanon, this is what it is now. All the other Champions before him? All other Trainers? They don't reach his ankles. It ruined that previous ambiguity, and I'm sure everyone here knows that one thing people abhor is having their headcanons ruined so suddenly like that.
So now this new dude out of nowhere is now the best, has a very controversial design, his ace is not even from his region as is one Pokemon that over the years has been shoved down people's throats to newfound levels of obnoxiousness, and has an entire region where everyone worships the ground he stands on and the air his ace flies through.

Of course feathers would get ruffled.

Honestly, the only real similarities Leon and Alan have is both of them having a Charizard as an Ace. Absolutely everything else about them is different.
Mmm I think this is a bit of a reach. Regardless of what “level” they were both on, both Leon and Alain were propped up as these near unstoppable trainers, having an ace that’s not from their home region, and the course of the story ended up revolving around them. With Leon we see his humble beginnings, and how he developed into the character that he now is. We got to see a look into his training regimen, his mindset, and how his downtime is spent. With Alain we didn’t really get much of that. Hell we’ve never even actually seen Alain train a day in his life. Alain kind of just was always insanely strong and we were just expected to believe it. Of course we knew how things started for him, and saw his meeting with Lysandre, but beyond that, there was nothing. Why did Alain want to be the strongest? What did he want to protect Manon from? How did he reach the heights that got him so strong in the first place? What was would he do after becoming the strongest? And where in the world did the rest of his team come from lol?

It’s a bit of an anomaly. You can’t go anywhere without someone bringing up how Leon is overpowered or wins because of plot armor but those same arguments aren’t as commonly brought up when talking about Alain unless it’s specifically about the Kalos League. I don’t know, it may just be a simple double standard. Or like you said, people prefer Alain cuz muh edgelord.

Status
Not open for further replies.