• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 26th: PM2019 122 - The Semifinals I: Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.
XY Ash’s outfit with that art style is perfection

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Jn Ash outfit he's basically wearing pyjamas with a vest slapped on. SM Ash outfit is literally the worst.
Yes because a blue shirt that clashes with a ruby red hat is the epitome of fashion. SM Ash’s shirt is literally the same color scheme as his XY outfit. What exactly do you like about it?

Yes because a blue shirt that clashes with a ruby red hat is the epitome of fashion. SM Ash’s shirt is literally the same color scheme as his XY outfit. What exactly do you like about it?
I don't know what kind of taste you have when it comes to fashion, but you're conveniently ignoring that the cap & the shoes makes an excellent combination

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
...None of those two lines ever implied she was retiring.

Also, considering the fact she fought Iris, it'd be pretty insulting for Iris if Cynthia found her boring enough to consider retiring.

Cynthia: I can't wait to retire. No one has given me inspiration to keep fighting.
Goh: ...Wait, didn't you have fun fighting Iris?
Cynthia: Imagine the volume of my mental groan when I found out she wasn't bothering to use Dynamax at least. Is she Piers-ing me? Please. Longest 10 minutes of my life I had to pretend to smile while groaning mentally.
I shouldn’t, but I laughed!
I'm not sure why people expected or wanted them to just spoil the M8 matchups in the Ash vs Paul battle.
It looked like a reasonable theory. Lucario and gengar learned new attacks, dragonite improvises another use for draco meteor.

By now, only dragonite have nothing to use its trick (if it’s using at all).

Aleisterblack123

I'll say what I don't like about SM. It's unorginal and lazy. The shoes are ugly AF and the shirt is boring. Every other Ash design usually had some sort of thing to stand out from the game design (the blue-leaning colors instead of red in OS, completely original outfit in AG, colored yellow stripe and lack of scarf in DP, a majority of the shirt white and a larger zipper for BW, and both short sleeves and a slightly different hat for XY), but in Alola it felt like they just decided to copypaste his game design with very minimal differences, especially with this being the only Ash design to completely lack fingerless gloves.

Sham

I fully expect that the final battle will be Mega Garchomp vs Mega Lucario since Gengar and Pikachu are taken out at the beginning of the battle I am not expecting Ash to waste his Gimmick until the end. It would not shock me if he does G max Gengar against Leon
I highly doubt Ash is using GMAX Gengar in the Leon fight and I’m sorry but the theory of Leon “allowing” Ash to use all gimmicks sound crazy to me personally especially when he doesn’t control the rules.

At most I could probably see Mega Garchomp VS base Lucario but I think he’d save Mega Lucario for Leon before Gengar.

Master Pikachu 11

I highly doubt Ash is using GMAX Gengar in the Leon fight and I’m sorry but the theory of Leon “allowing” Ash to use all gimmicks sound crazy to me personally especially when he doesn’t control the rules.

At most I could probably see Mega Garchomp VS base Lucario but I think he’d save Mega Lucario for Leon before Gengar.
Openings have been misleading before, I still expect Mega Lucario in this battle with Cynthia. There is also a chance that he doesn’t use G Max Gengar at all if he is not going to do it against Leon. Sorry but I don’t see Ash wasting his gimmick early in the battle especially with the battle being 6 v 6

Sham

Openings have been misleading before, I still expect Mega Lucario in this battle with Cynthia. There is also a chance that he doesn’t use G Max Gengar at all if he is not going to do it against Leon. Sorry but I don’t see Ash wasting his gimmick early in the battle especially with the battle being 6 v 6
It’s not based on the opening but instead that Ash’s ace is always treated like the MVP and finisher of matches ala Greninja and Infernape. Remember when people were convinced he wasnt using a Z-Move on Steven?

Using GMAX on Gengar isn’t “wasting” anything as long as it takes some of her Pokémon out.

ShadowForce720

Except Pikachu and Gengar are being taken out early on in the Ash vs Cynthia battle so I doubt that Ash will use their gimmick early in the battle so that means the only that could be using their gimmick in the battle between Ash vs Cynthia is Lucario.

There really isn’t any reason for Ash and Lucario to hold back and not Mega Evolve against Cynthia’s Garchomp when she will likely be Mega Evolving her Garchomp and Ash will still have a gimmick he can use. So it’s pretty likely that Ash is going to Mega Evolve his Lucario during his battle with Cynthia.

I highly doubt that they would have Ash go through his entire match with Cynthia and then not have him use a gimmick during the battle.

It’s not based on the opening but instead that Ash’s ace is always treated like the MVP and finisher of matches ala Greninja and Infernape. Remember when people were convinced he wasnt using a Z-Move on Steven?

Using GMAX on Gengar isn’t “wasting” anything as long as it takes some of her Pokémon out.
If anything that actually hurts your argument and make it more likely that Ash’s Lucario is going to Mega evolve against Cynthia.

Also in regards to Gengar G-Maxing and taking out some of Cynthia’s Pokémon, it’s already confirmed that Gengar does take out multiple of Cynthia’s Pokémon.

This was confirmed in the preview because when the scoreboard shows Pikachu and Spiritomb knocking each other out the only Pokémon on Cynthia’s side that is knocked out prior to Spiritomb’s fall is get Gastrodon while on Ash’s side both Dragonite and Gengar are already taken out.

So this would mean that if Gengar did G-Max in the battle that it would either go down without a single win in the battle or that it only manages to take out Gastrodon before going down.

I seriously doubt that it would be chosen to have Ash waste G-maxing like that when there is still the threat of Mega Garchomp and Cynthia has 4 other Pokémon that aren’t knocked out and can still fight after Spiritomb goes down.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It creates a continuity error if Cynthia were to appear in games later down the line like she does in BWBW2 and SMUSM.
How does Cynthia retiring from battling in the anime, which stands on its own, create a continuity error in future games, which may be a multi-verse?

Sham

How does Cynthia retiring from battling in the anime, which stands on its own, create a continuity error in future games, which may be a multi-verse?
If the anime stands on its own then why hasn’t Alain surpassed Diantha and became Champion of Kalos?

The multiverse thing is irrelevant and a theory based on ORAS that’s barely even confirmed on a piece of dialogue in the after story of the game, what does this have to do with the anime?

Let’s not pretend like despite the anime operating outside of the games that there aren’t limits on how far they can push things and this is it.

You’re tryna separate the games like we didn’t get a whole bunch of BDSP promotion, Arceus and Leon isn’t a main part of the story?

They’re gonna retire Cynthia because she’s not retired in the games.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
If the anime stands on its own then why hasn’t Alain surpassed Diantha and became Champion of Kalos?

The multiverse thing is irrelevant and a theory based on ORAS that’s barely even confirmed on a piece of dialogue in the after story of the game, what does this have to do with the anime?

Let’s not pretend like despite the anime operating outside of the games that there aren’t limits on how far they can push things and this is it.
Can you answer the question?

How does a character retiring in the anime create continuity errors in future games?

Sham

Can you answer the question?

How does a character retiring in the anime create continuity errors in future games?
Continuity error in the sense of the anime would be actively denying Cynthia a big role in the anime (in terms of battling) and no longer have the possibility of promoting the Sinnoh Champion whenever if or when they make any games revolving around Sinnoh.

The games aren’t effected by what the anime does but the entire reason Cynthia exists is because of the games. So having her actively battling in the potential games after SWSH but excluding out of later appearances seems weird

Akashin

Not for nothing, but the multiverse theory was heavily reinforced by Anabel in Sun and Moon and all but driven home by Team Rainbow Rocket. Not necessarily the same multiverse theory suggested in ORAS (the ME timeline and the non-ME timeline people considered to be the case at the time), but a multiverse all the same. Gen VII outright told us that alternate iterations of the Pokemon World exist within Ultra Space.

There's no continuity error in the games and the anime differing, and the sky didn't fall when Steven wasn't Champion in AG or BW came and went without Iris becoming Champion. That the anime has chosen to fall more closely in line with the games is a choice that's been made, but it's not a continuity error to set itself apart again.

Sham

Not for nothing, but the multiverse theory was heavily reinforced by Anabel in Sun and Moon and all but driven home by Team Rainbow Rocket. Not necessarily the same multiverse theory suggested in ORAS (the ME timeline and the non-ME timeline people considered to be the case at the time), but a multiverse all the same. Gen VII outright told us that alternate iterations of the Pokemon World exist within Ultra Space.

There's no continuity error in the games and the anime differing, and the sky didn't fall when Steven wasn't Champion in AG or BW came and went without Iris becoming Champion. That the anime has chosen to fall more closely in line with the games is a choice that's been made, but it's not a continuity error to set itself apart again.
I said above that the “continuity error” was referring to future promotion of the Sinnoh Champion whenever they decide on making games revolving around Sinnoh or heavily influenced by Sinnoh.

The difference is Cynthia has no alternative Champion in her games. Another difference in the Steven situation is… Steven was never confirmed or denied of being the Champion of Hoenn and as of the most recent Unova games, Iris is the Champion. That’s not a stretch or causing a huge disruption as you put it.

Iris didn’t become Champion during BW because the anime writers weren’t aware that Game Freak would make a Pokegirl Champion (how were they suppose to know) but they did get to it when she returned because it wasn’t that big of a stretch anyway and they felt it suited the character.

If Pokémon does have a multiverse I don’t really care about arguing about that, what does this have to do with the anime being a separate entity from the games?

The reason they can get away with Iris staying the Champion when the BW remakes come out and not having Alder is because in some capacity she’s Champion of Unova and the same applies with Wallace if he kept his position during ORAS and vice versa. Cynthia doesn’t have that privilege.

You brought up Steven and Iris not immediately being called Champions but left out Wallace and Alder who were still game Champions. Who’s Cynthia’s counterpart?

Last edited:

Akashin

I said above that the “continuity error” was referring to future promotion of the Sinnoh Champion whenever they decide on making games revolving around Sinnoh or heavily influenced by Sinnoh.

The difference is Cynthia has no alternative Champion in her games. Another difference in the Steven situation is… Steven was never confirmed or denied of being the Champion of Hoenn and as of the most recent Unova games, Iris is the Champion. That’s not a stretch or causing a huge disruption as you put it.

Iris didn’t become Champion during BW because the anime writers weren’t aware that Game Freak would make a Pokegirl Champion (how were they suppose to know) but they did get to it when she returned because it wasn’t that big of a stretch anyway.

If Pokémon does have a multiverse I don’t really care about arguing about that, what does this have to do with the anime being a separate entity from the games?

You brought up Steven and Iris not immediately being called Champions but left out Wallace and Alder who were still game Champions. Who’s Cynthia’s counterpart?
The comment on there being a multiverse was just in reference to your doubt of it being a thing; I don't think it's particularly relevant here, because I don't think that the anime is an alternate universe of the games to begin with. They're distinct, but they've crossed in limited ways a couple of times.

Insofar as Cynthia is concerned... to be clear, I highly doubt she's actually going to retire. That having been said, if she were to, whether that's an issue or not is dependent on a number of things. It relies first on there being future promotion of the Sinnoh Champion in the games to begin with, and then dependent still on that person still being Cynthia. It's a huge what-if that the anime doesn't really need to worry about right now.

Sham

The comment on there being a multiverse was just in reference to your doubt of it being a thing; I don't think it's particularly relevant here, because I don't think that the anime is an alternate universe of the games to begin with. They're distinct, but they've crossed in limited ways a couple of times.

Insofar as Cynthia is concerned... to be clear, I highly doubt she's actually going to retire. That having been said, if she were to, whether that's an issue or not is dependent on a number of things. It relies first on there being future promotion of the Sinnoh Champion in the games to begin with, and then dependent still on that person still being Cynthia. It's a huge what-if that the anime doesn't really need to worry about right now.
Oh okay, never mind that comment then. I understand, good information to know that the games basically confirmed that it exists. I guess SMUSM should of been my first clue.

I think the whole “do now, worry later” concerning the anime is very accurate but not here. It’s taking a big gamble. Did you see how quick they were to get Wallace out of here when Steven was the Champion in ORAS?

Never say never, Kanto got its umpteenth remake recently so it’s always a lingering possibility that other Sinnoh games could come out. And if they did it’s gonna be pretty awkward bringing her out of retirement if and when those games do drop because at the end of the day the anime is a promotion of the games no matter how far it strays.

I do you get your over all point thought and I agree she’s not retiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.