• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 9th: PM2019 032 - Celebi: A Timeless Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
If Tokio is actually the Manga Tokio....would this be the first Manga (originating, don't be a smart alec) character introduced in the anime?

I had to go on Bulba and figure out who that is. There is a resemblance between what I looted off of Twitter and Pokemon Horizon.

EeOX5VhUYAIqJ7O

Tokio_Horizon.png

And if it is, that sounds pretty cool.

If it's not though, well then it doesn't matter.

If it is the case, then he's still technically second. Red from the Pocket Monsters gag series that no one in the West likes debut in a flashback with Ash and Gary at the movies. It's a cameo on a film in a flashback, but it was an appearance nonetheless.

dman_dustin

If it is the case, then he's still technically second. Red from the Pocket Monsters gag series that no one in the West likes debut in a flashback with Ash and Gary at the movies. It's a cameo on a film in a flashback, but it was an appearance nonetheless.

I explicitly said "Originating" as in "original character" Red doesn't remotely count for multiple reasons.

1. He's based off the game's protagonist therefore his origins do not originate from Manga. The character in of itself could be considered an original character in terms of personality but personality/characteristics only. After all you could say the same about Clefairy, but Clefairy is from the games so a unique take on a "Filthy/whatever" Clefairy doesn't really qualify as an "original character"
2. And it was a movie, and without further context its unknown if it was an animation or the equivalency of a live action movie/television show (kind of like what you'd consider that Magikarp/Gyarados show that involved Lillie, Mallow, Lana in the sun and moon episode). So therefore one must assume the character was fictional within the anime and thus did not meet Ash at any point and therefore wasn't an actual character (an equivalent of a living breathing person.....actor.....etc).

For example, Go is an anime original character, his origin originates from the anime, if he shows up in the manga or even the games, you can't call him a manga/video game character it would be an adaptation. So in other words a manga character having a true adaptation in the actual anime. A movie/film hardly qualifies.

But I'll give you some leeway here. Absolutely yes the Red movie/film that Ash saw when he was younger is definitely the first (I assume) reference to an actual manga character/concept. But I mean a manga character becoming an actual anime character through adaptation.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
You know, I didn't really made the link between Goh'sFriend!Tokio and Horizon!Tokio but they they do look alike. Can't believe I've missed that. But then it's been a while since I've read Horizon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
That's supposed to be a DUDE???

But then again I also thought Gou was a Girl before the anime started too.

Still funny to me that this show makes prettier looking boys than they do girls lol
That is the power of bishonen.

You know he's only named Tokio because "toki" means "time", right?

It's more fun to speculate on manga characters in the anime.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Another Gou episode, noice.

I appreciate Gou’s episodes focusing more on his character and growth versus Satoshi’s being more goal-orientated. Hoping they dive more into that “Gou was a friendless, smartass recluse”-aspect of his character. I also want them to start really making Gou more of his standout character without Satoshi being there. Sometimes I feel like Gou/Satoshi interactions are fun but kind of generic. Like we have two Gons but no Killua. The earlier summaries from PM spoke on Gou being more “cool-headed” and “scientific” per say if I remember but they haven’t owed up heavily to that outside of fanfare super well as I would have liked. His personality and character simply melt in too well with Satoshi’s outside of insecurities with his relationships with others. I feel like PM is still finding its balance with how they want he and Satoshi to be somewhat? His catchphrase is “That’s the future I hold within my hand.” so maybe focus more on his plans for the future versus Satoshi’s “living in the moment” type vibe?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm not sure what sort of character design I was expecting Tokio to have, but at least I can say that he looks different from most standard COTDs. It's also nice to see a Kimawari: I just love their cheerful faces.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
I had to go on Bulba and figure out who that is. There is a resemblance between what I looted off of Twitter and Pokemon Horizon.

EeOX5VhUYAIqJ7O

Tokio_Horizon.png

Their eyes are different colors. Though it wouldn't be the first time that details like those were swapped in media transition.

I wonder how Tokio's desire to find Celebi will clash with Goh's new desire to catch everything? (Though we know that Goh won't catch Celebi)

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I guess Gou’s friend died or is dead and after encountering Celebi he goes back in time to reunite with him or some hijacks in the past with the episode ending with Tokio coming back to life? Something akin to Haruka’s adventure back during Eevee’s hatching episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.