• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 9th: PM2019 032 - Celebi: A Timeless Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
As much as I've been looking forward to a Celebi based episode, I'm going to struggle with it being solely based on Goh without Ash even being involved. I mean, Goh's not a bad character or anything, but everything he does is just rather boring (and that's on the writers)..

Hopefully Celebi alone can make up for it. I don't like to judge episodes before giving them a chance, so there's still hope..

Yappy

Only appears occasionally
I notice people saying that an episode like this is better suited for a special which happens at the end of the series, because it's an episode about one of Ash's friends which doesn't feature Ash. And yes, while that has been the case for those type of episodes, this is also an episode about Gou's backstory which could lead to big changes for his character that would need a follow up for it and so having it happen when the show is over would be unfitting.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
ShinyCharyZard said:
As much as I've been looking forward to a Celebi based episode, I'm going to struggle with it being solely based on Goh without Ash even being involved. I mean, Goh's not a bad character or anything, but everything he does is just rather boring (and that's on the writers)..

Hopefully Celebi alone can make up for it. I don't like to judge episodes before giving them a chance, so there's still hope..

I personally think that the Celebi element is the most boring part of the episode that we know of so far. Not that I think Gou's an incredibly interesting character either, but I've never thought that Celebi was an intriguing Pokemon outside of the fourth movie, so I'm not impressed by its inclusion here. Like someone else said, this episode feels like it would be better suited as a special episode than a main series one.

ShadowForce720

We haven't had Ash as a protagonist for three years and NOW people are freaking out when his replacement isn't in an episode?

Interesting priorities.

not sure what your getting at here, when there isn’t any reason to think that Pokémon Journeys is happening in a different universe then the rest of the main anime.

The Ash in Pokémon Journeys is the same Ash that has been around from the very start in Kanto. Basically OS-Journeys is all in the same continuity.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
We haven't had Ash as a protagonist for three years and NOW people are freaking out when his replacement isn't in an episode?

Interesting priorities.

There's literally been evidence of continuation from the previous sagas in both SM and Journeys. It's not a different Ash and he remains the same protagonist he was in the 90's, just with more experience and extra Pokemon scattered in various places..

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.

Interesting priorities.
This isnt an AU buddy.

D

Deleted member 384931

Why does every companion except Brock, Cilan, May and Solphacles have to have an episode/flashbacks abiut their past?

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Okay, wild and unlikely theory, but here's what I want to happen.

Go has spent all these years hating on Tokio. He goes back in time and finds out why Tokio left and realizes that he shouldn't have hated him and that Tokio is the real victim or something. Then he ends up meeting him back in the present.

Except Tokio is no longer the friend he once was. Maybe he had a bad experience, maybe he thougbt Go abandoned HIM. Maybe he's just mean now. But he doesn't want to be Go's friend anymore. Instead, he becomes a recurring antagonistic rival for Go. He motivates Go to push himself, and Go goes through the pain of having his cherished friend hate him, just as he hated him.

Kawaii Emolga

The cutest EVER!!!!

Go has spent all these years hating on Tokio. He goes back in time and finds out why Tokio left and realizes that he shouldn't have hated him and that Tokio is the real victim or something. Then he ends up meeting him back in the present.

Except Tokio is no longer the friend he once was. Maybe he had a bad experience, maybe he thougbt Go abandoned HIM. Maybe he's just mean now. But he doesn't want to be Go's friend anymore. Instead, he becomes a recurring antagonistic rival for Go. He motivates Go to push himself, and Go goes through the pain of having his cherished friend hate him, just as he hated him.
That would be so cool

Mew29240

Tokio becoming an antagonistic rival to Goh after this episode would be a big oof to him. I wonder how Tokio would challenge him though? Unless Tokio's got his own connections to a Professor willing to house a bunch of Pokemon, he can't really compete against Goh in catching Pokemon. Maybe he just gets in the way of Goh catching Pokemon whenever they cross paths? He could also only go after rare and hard to find Pokemon knowing it'll make it harder for Goh to complete the Dex.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit

It is an interesting theory and giving Goh a rival would be an interesting twist, however Goh is primarily a catcher who occasionally battles. A rival may skew him too heavily towards battling which defeats the point.

I also don't expect Tokio to be much more than a COTD. It would be great if he reappeared considering that he supposedly is responsible for allot of Goh's character, however it is not a topic that the show has shown much interest in exploring outside of small moments.

Despite the trailer/ because of it I expect next week to end on a positive note.

Leonhart

Imagineer
JennaJayfeather said:
I doubt it'll happen but...ouch my heart! I do hope Tokio will be recurring, and like, since his design stands out and is featured in an Ash-less episode, I think he might be...

I don't think Tokio will become a major character since he doesn't seem to have much going for him other than being Gou's childhood friend, which is a role that Koharu already fulfills.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
I wonder how Tokio would challenge him though? Unless Tokio's got his own connections to a Professor willing to house a bunch of Pokemon, he can't really compete against Goh in catching Pokemon. Maybe he just gets in the way of Goh catching Pokemon whenever they cross paths? He could also only go after rare and hard to find Pokemon knowing it'll make it harder for Goh to complete the Dex.
It is an interesting theory and giving Goh a rival would be an interesting twist, however Goh is primarily a catcher who occasionally battles. A rival may skew him too heavily towards battling which defeats the point.
I was thinking that he'd be a better battler than Go, and would do better than him in raid battles. Using stronger Pokemon, he could style over Go or simply just try and take him out of the equation whenever they cross paths. As it stands, Go needs to be stronger if we get more raid battles or runs into more Pokemon that insta-catches. Especially if he ever has to do things without Ash backing him up.

And yeah, he could also have regular battles with Go from time to time. Go's main goal is catching, but he can still battle.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
I was thinking that he'd be a better battler than Go, and would do better than him in raid battles. Using stronger Pokemon, he could style over Go or simply just try and take him out of the equation whenever they cross paths. As it stands, Go needs to be stronger if we get more raid battles or runs into more Pokemon that insta-catches. Especially if he ever has to do things without Ash backing him up.

Something like this could work, and would increase the parallels between Goh and Ash with the rival that is always one step ahead. Though with them traveling the world rather than following a set gym sequence you have to wonder how they would keep running into each other.

It may also be difficult to convey the difference between Goh and Tokio catching. Does Tokio only go after strong pokemon? If he does then it limits his appearances. Or does he catch pokemon as collectibles in contrast with Goh who cares for his pokemon? In which case we would need to be shown the living conditions of Tokio's pokemon.

I do not think they are setting up Tokio to be a rival/ antagonist. If they planned to do that they would have kept Tokio a friend from Goh's past with present Tokio as contrast. As it stands Goh already feels betrayed, he just doesn't know why. If the plan was to have Tokio as a rival then it may also have made more sense for them to part ways on bad terms.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

I can see shiny hunter guy being the closest to a rival Goh can get. It goes well with his collector gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.