• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 9th: SM85 - Leap 'n' Climb: Tundetunde!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Ehhh...

For all their hype, the Ultra Guardians are laughably bad at their jobs

The only time they were even remotely competent was when they helped prevent what was essentially a rocket taking off from causing collateral damage

Everything else was "stand around gesticulating until someone remembers there's an Ultra Beast in the vicinity" where it's then promptly caught and sent home with zero fanfare

Friendly reminder that they waited until night to actually do anything about Xurkitree and Burst

Looker and Anabel would be so disappointed in them

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Ehhh...

The only time they were even remotely competent was when they helped prevent what was essentially a rocket taking off from causing collateral damage

Everything else was "stand around gesticulating until someone remembers there's an Ultra Beast in the vicinity" where it's then promptly caught and sent home with zero fanfare

Friendly reminder that they waited until night to actually do anything about Xurkitree and Burst

pretty much, this is yet another of many reasons why I prefer the games over the anime

dman_dustin

1. I think its more questionable why everyone is freaking out when the Ultra Guardians seem to be dealing with things easily.
2. I disagree I think the two ultra beast capture (One being Xurkitree) was pretty competent because what they did was the only way to capture them. But what's this you have a complaint about it?

Yeah that's not what happened at all, it may have taken a long time to deal with it, but that wasn't the ultra guardians fault, they literally couldn't do anything, they tried catching them but the performance prevented their capture. The moment they could act their plan took place at nighet, if dusk lasts a long period of time, that's not the Ultra Guardians fault that's the animator's (writer's director's) fault.

Likewise with the other scene, because if I'm right when Blacephalon showed up it was normally day and then when it came back on it was dusk time, again primarily the fault of the animator as well as the director (writer) of the episode, who decided it would make more sense to distract the ultra beasts at night time, because literally they were forcing that situation because fireworks are best scene at night, hence why they the non characters waited until the night before allowing the characters to act.

And also the reason why they may have took so long to try and do anything, is, well what do you expect?

You're suggesting is that they act without thinking in regards to a Pokemon they literally don't know anything about but they're not competent because they didn't act swiftly and accordingly? In what way? It's not like these are elite four level trainers, and these Ultra Beasts are pretty strong, its been pretty clear that these ultra beasts just cannot be caught by brute Pokemon battling, and as such that's what happened in this episode.

Could an Elite Four member or a champion handle the ultra beasts a lot better, yes because they have strength on their side. The ultra guardians don't exactly have the strongest Pokemon, and attacking them would not have been a competent move because it wasn't just ONE ultra beasts it was two. And having TWO ultra beasts targeting you and actually attacking you isn't smart and it sure as heck isn't competent. They had to think of a way to deal with them trying to outperform each other rather than attack attack and then be attacked.

Yeah it took until night but that was clearly simply because "bright" performances are only best during night, not because they were standing there like idiots but because the PLOT was forcing them to wait, on top of the whole speeding time just so it could be night. Anime, cartoons, movies, they are going to take liberties. Even if it took 12 hours for dusk to turn into night (in an extremely exaggerated example), they'll still end up doing it a few minutes because "PLOT" although with live action movies they might just do time compression.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I suspect the reason it takes forever for them to do anything is because they're trying to figure out what to name it, and since the Ultra Beasts seem content to stay in one place and wreak...

Uh, I kinda hesitate to call what they've been doing "havoc" but that's what they're trying to sell it as...

Still weirdly convenient and nowhere near as good as it could be

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Well at least now this sounds less Ash centric.
Hopefully that means Mallow, Kiawe, or Soph get to catch this one, had worries Ash would originally

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I have a feeling it'll be Kiawe personally for reasons mentioned earlier.

Kinda have a feeling they're saving Pheromosa for Mallow for that potential Tsareena vs. Pheromosa battle.

D

Deleted member 384931

Ok, I think that all the UB episodes will take place on MeleMele Island. Kinda borimg

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well, as long as they find another comical/hilarious way of dealing with Stakataka, then I couldn't even care less about who's gonna star/get focus in this episode.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Kinda have a feeling they're saving Pheromosa for Mallow for that potential Tsareena vs. Pheromosa battle.

Lol you're making it sound like there's going to be some heavyweight clash between Tsareena and Pheromosa. If anything, it'll probably be a battle about who can dance better or do a better walk on a runway.

DatsRight

Well at least now this sounds less Ash centric.
Hopefully that means Mallow, Kiawe, or Soph get to catch this one, had worries Ash would originally

Yeah it sounded like we were getting a row of Ash episodes but at least it looks like some of them might be more group focused now.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ash, but the other characters seriously need more times to shine, and the UG episodes work as such since they often rely on brains and abilities over raw power, keeping everyone on level playing field.

Lol you're making it sound like there's going to be some heavyweight clash between Tsareena and Pheromosa. If anything, it'll probably be a battle about who can dance better or do a better walk on a runway.

Yeah, it would be kinda cheap if Tsareena was a powerhouse just because she conveniently evolved twice with zero training anyway. (I swear if Mallow can match Ash in battle like Serena did I'm not gonna be impressed).

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Ok, I think that all the UB episodes will take place on MeleMele Island. Kinda borimg

I don't get why this is a problem. Sure, there's four islands, but every single UB conflict has taken place at a different location.

Heck, some of those locations are places we've never seen before, like the Bamboo Field with Celesteela and the power plant with Xurkitree and Blacephalon.

What was Buzzwole's, again? I remember it exiting the Ultra Wormhole at Melemele Meadow, but was that where the battle took place?

DatsRight

I don't get why this is a problem. Sure, there's four islands, but every single UB conflict has taken place at a different location.

Heck, some of those locations are places we've never seen before, like the Bamboo Field with Celesteela and the power plant with Xurkitree and Blacephalon.

What was Buzzwole's, again? I remember it exiting the Ultra Wormhole at Melemele Meadow, but was that where the battle took place?

Yeah it's an improvement over a lot of previous anime episodes where it says they were in a new area but it was just the same generic forest or town backdrop with no real changes at all.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Yeah it sounded like we were getting a row of Ash episodes but at least it looks like some of them might be more group focused now.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ash, but the other characters seriously need more times to shine, and the UG episodes work as such since they often rely on brains and abilities over raw power, keeping everyone on level playing field.

Yeah, it would be kinda cheap if Tsareena was a powerhouse just because she conveniently evolved twice with zero training anyway. (I swear if Mallow can match Ash in battle like Serena did I'm not gonna be impressed).

Pheromosa's entry is as stated. It is fast, powerful and hates touching filthy things. The report in the games state that it uses its pheromones to get what it wants, its homeworld is a desert with glass like gems to serve as its burrow.
Tsareena wouldn't be a match for it typing wise and I picture a Pheromosa episode being something that revolves around her being a big mooch. Or she has a partner with Kartana and it involves a lady and her samurai.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Not gonna lie, I would not mind seeing this.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Pheromosa's entry is as stated. It is fast, powerful and hates touching filthy things. The report in the games state that it uses its pheromones to get what it wants, its homeworld is a desert with glass like gems to serve as its burrow.
Tsareena wouldn't be a match for it typing wise and I picture a Pheromosa episode being something that revolves around her being a big mooch. Or she has a partner with Kartana and it involves a lady and her samurai.
I could point out Tsareena's Dex entry in Ultra Sun states it's capable of knocking out kickboxing champions in one blow and unlike Buzzwole, Pheromosa isn't a defensive powerhouse. I'd say less mooch and more gang leader.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I could point out Tsareena's Dex entry in Ultra Sun states it's capable of knocking out kickboxing champions in one blow and unlike Buzzwole, Pheromosa isn't a defensive powerhouse. I'd say less mooch and more gang leader.

True on Pheromosa's paper defenses and if they have Pheromosa act by making wild pokemon fall over for her, that would be a nice detail. Maybe have the episode star her and Kartana.

DatsRight

Steenee has done some actual battling though

She's used Magical Leaf and Tsundere Slap a fair number of times

Compare to Rowlet, who sat on a tree and learned to throw leaves better

The difference is that Rowlet has battled a reasonable number of opponents that put a real fight. As in he had to endure damage back and put up impressive manoeuvres. He hasn't bulked up much, but that just shows even more because he can be competent and clever with what he has and not need to get magically bulked up the moment things get too even handed.

Steenee's beat up Meowth a couple odd times. In one instance she could only do that because he was held down by Instruct, and in the other two she needed a DEM evolution. Sure she holds a record for never fainting or even suffering a return hit, but she's never really been in a position she risked doing such.

Status
Not open for further replies.