• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

August 9th: SM85 - Leap 'n' Climb: Tundetunde!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
The difference is that Rowlet has battled a reasonable number of opponents that put a real fight. As in he had to endure damage back and put up impressive manoeuvres. He hasn't bulked up much, but that just shows even more because he can be competent and clever with what he has and not need to get magically bulked up the moment things get too even handed.

Steenee's beat up Meowth a couple odd times. In one instance she could only do that because he was held down by Instruct, and in the other two she needed a DEM evolution. Sure she holds a record for never fainting or even suffering a return hit, but she's never really been in a position she risked doing such.
Are we just going to ignore the Rescue Lusamine Arc?

I mean, I don't blame you, but come on...

DatsRight

Are we just going to ignore the Rescue Lusamine Arc?

None of Lusamine's Pokemon really put up a depthful fight either, they just mostly stood there towering menacingly over the heroes. The one exception is using Teeter Dance on them, which Rowlet had to save them from.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
None of Lusamine's Pokemon really put up a depthful fight either, they just mostly stood there towering menacingly over the heroes. The one exception is using Teeter Dance on them, which Rowlet had to save them from.
Ah yes, the Totem Lurantis approach to battle animations...

We can postulate all we want about what a pokémon has done, but the anime is never going to give us the animation to make it memorable or impactful

Best we got was the Kanto Gym Battles and Ash vs Olivia
More recently, Pikachu vs Mimikyu

Doesn't help when a series' animation quality is all over the place and they spend most of it on goofy faces because apparently that's what matters

DatsRight

The thing is Steenee has barely done ANYTHING. I wouldn't mind if she didn't battle much but still put her utilities to use in other ways, but her and Mallow barely contribute anything, and besides her Rowlet smacking gag (which doesn't exactly make her likeable in any way) she barely even has a personality.

Say what you will about Rowlet or some of the other SM Pokemon, but there's at least some degree of character agency with them.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
New summary and a picture I believe is from this episode:
btw, the image has now been confirmed to be from tomorrow's episode

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ah yes, the Totem Lurantis approach to battle animations...

We can postulate all we want about what a pokémon has done, but the anime is never going to give us the animation to make it memorable or impactful

Best we got was the Kanto Gym Battles and Ash vs Olivia
More recently, Pikachu vs Mimikyu

Doesn't help when a series' animation quality is all over the place and they spend most of it on goofy faces because apparently that's what matters
at least lurantis and castform actually attacked

DatsRight

Also note this isn't a case of doing things like a check list, this is the characters and Pokemon having roles that in some way make them fun and appreciable. Nearly every character but Mallow and Steenee has gotten at least some sort of enjoyable bit of involvement that made them stand out as characters. These two either stick in the background as dead weight or just keep having things happen for them that prevents them having to do any of this, a problem that so often plagued the earlier series of the anime.

Sure Rowlet is comic relief for the large part, but he can at least have roles in the show that are memorable and fun. I wouldn't be surprised if Tsareena stays as boring as she was before.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Well now we know that the image with that most recent summary is actually from SM082, due to the preview showcased on Oha Suta.

DatsRight

The one thing that worries me about this episode is that Fujisaku is writing it. His best episodes tend to be the more laid back ones, his action ones tend to be plot armoured or just plain dull (especially since he keeps getting the evolution/move learn DEM episodes). He DID do the awesome Passimian episode for Ash and the Poni Canyon one for Lillie, but on the other hand he keeps failing with Mallow (compared to Sekine who at least did her one halfway decent one) and he kinda copped out with the big Pikachu vs Mimikyu battle.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Not to mention, a lot of his episodes tend to have a lot of comedy and crazy facial expressions.

I know he did the baseball one and the Wishiwashi Trial (which had a lot of both), as well.

DatsRight

I think people will be disappointed if they wanted a good battle at least, though we might get something amusingly eccentric again, which tends to be the best bit of the UG episodes anyway.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I wasn't expecting a battle from Stakataka personally.

DatsRight

I wasn't expecting a battle from Stakataka personally.

I know, but some fans are getting kinda annoyed by the lack of battling in the UB episodes though. 'Silly eccentric trickery' is probably the safer direction for a fun episode here, since I don't trust Fujisaku not to either turn poor Stakataka into a jobber or have the twerps win by DEM.

Actually I don't understand why they don't try that with TR episodes anymore. They'd likely be more entertaining opponents if the twerps 'Bugs Bunny-ied' them.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Well, that's what they get for misunderstanding Ultra Beasts, treating them as if they're supposed to be antagonistic monsters hell-bent on destruction when aside from Guzzlord, they're moreso fish out of water.

DatsRight

Well, that's what they get for misunderstanding Ultra Beasts, treating them as if they're supposed to be antagonistic monsters hell-bent on destruction when aside from Guzzlord, they're moreso fish out of water.

In fairness most of the antagonist Pokemon episodes did run a strict formula before this, either being battled, or having TR as a scapegoat (and THEM being battled).

I'd actually love if they tried topping on how kooky and over the top the twerps' methods of stopping the Ultra Beasts were each episode. I love how SM Ash is actually forced to be clever in a really eccentric way in several episodes, not just battling as his whole shtick.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Expecting what we're supposed to get is our fault?
Always something with SM defenders.... we don't underestimate them at all. The writers aren't using them right. Case in point, Celesteela. Buzzwole was fine.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I expect something will be done about the individual life forms of Stakataka, which it has many of them as part of one Pokémon. Maybe they could have these individual ones chase down Ash and his classmates once they get too close to it.

DatsRight

Always something with SM defenders.... we don't underestimate them at all. The writers aren't using them right. Case in point, Celesteela. Buzzwole was fine.

As mentioned though, I don't trust the current writer to make a decent battle out of it.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
But... that's the thing. The Ultra Beasts aren't vicious monsters hell-bent on death and destruction. They do what they do because they're thrown into a world they're unfamiliar with.

Also, for the record, I haven't exactly been pleased with SM lately. I don't hate it, but I won't defend it as vehemently as I did several months ago.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
But... that's the thing. The Ultra Beasts aren't vicious monsters hell-bent on death and destruction. They do what they do because they're thrown into a world they're unfamiliar with.

Also, for the record, I haven't exactly been pleased with SM lately. I don't hate it, but I won't defend it as vehemently as I did several months ago.

Exactly. The UBs are just alternate dimension Pokémon. There's no evidence Pokémon from the normal world wouldn't be just as destructive in their worlds.

As for the second point, I'll still defend SM quite vehemently seeing as most of the so-called critics are just haters and think battling is the only part of Pokémon that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.