• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Australia Says Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213..._aborigines;_ylt=AumFqFkxk8SAP8_52LAvV1hvaA8F

CANBERRA, Australia - Aborigines organized breakfast barbecues in the Outback, schools held assemblies and giant TV screens went up in state capitals as Australians watched a live broadcast of their government Wednesday apologizing for policies that degraded its indigenous people.

In a historic parliamentary vote that supporters said would open a new chapter in race relations, lawmakers unanimously adopted Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's motion on behalf of all Australians.

"We apologize for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians," Rudd said in Parliament, reading from the motion.

The apology is directed at tens of thousands of Aborigines who were forcibly taken from their families as children under now abandoned assimilation policies.

"For the pain, suffering and hurt of these Stolen Generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry," the motion said. "And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry."

Aborigines remain the country's poorest and most disadvantaged group, and Rudd has made improving their lives one of his government's top priorities.

In short, Australia has officially apologised for actions made some 80 or so years ago concerning the indigenous peoples, Aborigines. This is something that previous governments have refused to do.

The apology is directed mainly at the "Stolen Generation", where half-caste Aboriginal children were taken from their families and homes in part of an assimilation program.

Now, I'm not sure how big this is elsewhere in the world (though it has made the news on all international sites I looked at) but it is pretty damn big in Australia.

I certainly know that we are not the only nation with such a checkered indigenous-related past.

I am of mixed views on the apology, and agree and disagree at the same time.

I am very much of the opinion that it is right to acknowlege that what was done was wrong - which it certainly was - yet I do not see how it is our responsibility to apologise.

It has opened a whole new kettle of fish, already bids to sue the Government for compensation have been made and all sorts of rights activists have spoken up.

However, despite all this, it certainly was a massive step forward in mending the bridge between indigenous and non-indigenous relations in our country and I hope that other nations will follow.

Thoughts? Both Australians and anyone else if you know anything about it?

facetious

facetious
Now we'll just wait for the Aborigines asking for monetary compensation so they can spend it on alcohol.

Bad move. They're a disgrace to western society who don't deserve any apologies or recognition of their futile existence.

Alzi

Toon link
Aborigines will never get fixed. A sorry is just lol to some one. If some one stole your country land you will hate them for life doesn't matter what they do to make you better deep in there heart theres still that anger.

I don't like Aborigines but what can ya do.

lol i was watching this just like 2 minutes ago.

OzBlackman

OzCommunist
Now we'll just wait for the Aborigines asking for monetary compensation so they can spend it on alcohol.

Bad move. They're a disgrace to western society who don't deserve any apologies or recognition of their futile existence.

Idiot. Why do you think aboriginals are in the state they are in? They have been living in drug and alcohol ridden conditions because when the English INVADED they bought along THERE money and THERE laws, destroying this country and sending the aboriginals into complete poverty, as they could not gain money to survive in this new world.

Oh, and your a disgrace you hypocritical "I hate Pokemon and you're all losers (Even though I'm on here all day)" white retard. You clearly know nothing about the history of this country and why it is in state that it's in. Pig.

Aborigines will never get fixed. A sorry is just lol to some one. If some one stole your country land you will hate them for life doesn't matter what they do to make you better deep in there heart theres still that anger.

It's not about fixing anything. It's about apologizing for a horrifying time in history. And of course there was anger. Why don't you read into what happened? See, you white people have NO respect for anyone, and when it comes down to it, it's all because of jealousy.

I'm going to make some comments which you will all probably disagree with but why the who gives a flying f*ck?

White people hate black people for one reason- Physically, black people are stronger, faster and have created better societies. And I don't just mean African Americas are Aboriginals, but anyone of colour. The aboriginals lived great lives before the English came along. I know what you're all thinking:

"But we have Cars, TV, Guns!"

Greeeeeat inventions. Thanks for them all guys! Now we can pollute the Earth, become even stupider (just like facetious) and blow the brains out of the innocent.

I don't like Aborigines but what can ya do.

I don't like white people. We're even.

Last edited:

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Please refrain from this turning into a racial flame war; the precise reason I did not post this in the debate section.

Also, to be fair, facetious was just being his usual provocative self, and to be honest I think you are trying to evoke something here, Blackyboi.

OzBlackman

OzCommunist
Also, to be fair, facetious was just being his usual provocative self, and to be honest I think you are trying to evoke something here, Blackyboi.

I'm just standing up for my people. facetious is just a typical, ignorant white Australian.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
And you are just fuelling hate here. I suggest we try and act like gentlemen here. I do not want to see this thread locked due to racism.

OzBlackman

OzCommunist
And you are just fuelling hate here. I suggest we try and act like gentlemen here. I do not want to see this thread locked due to racism.

You bet I'm fueling hate. I'm FULL of hate. I've been dealing with so much racism all my life. You have no idea what it's like to have people point you out and say you don't belong. Especially when you're in YOUR own country.

Imperator_Venit

Although this is just my opinion, I believe that although it was definitely a step in the right direction to apologize for past problems, I just believe it should have been done sooner, when people who were actually involved in these terrible matters could have shown that they were sorry, rather than having somebody like Kevin Rudd, who as far as I know hasn't done anything against the Indigenous Australians.

Some of the things the white people did should not have been done, and so, apologizing is the least the White Australians of today can do, even if they weren't actually involved.

I hope I haven't offended anybody, because I didn't mean to.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Hate + hate just = more hate.

I mean, I'm already starting to dislike you.

For your race? No, not at all.

For you attitude? Yes, certainly.

It is not our fault that you have had to cope with this your whole life (not to mention I've honestly never seen a public incidence of Aboriginal racism in my life) but we did not do those things to you and so why should you take your anger out on us?

OzBlackman

OzCommunist
Hate + hate just = more hate.

I mean, I'm already starting to dislike you.

For your race? No, not at all.

For you attitude? Yes, certainly.

It is not our fault that you have had to cope with this your whole life (not to mention I've honestly never seen a public incidence of Aboriginal racism in my life) but we did not do those things to you and so why should you take your anger out on us?

Perhaps not you. You don't understand though. And if you haven't seen an act of Aboriginal racism... well god, tell me where you live. I'm there.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
I will admit Perth has much more of a problem concerning this sort of issue than Melbourne does. I feel it sad that even now racism can be such a problem...

Imperator_Venit

Perhaps not you. You don't understand though. And if you haven't seen an act of Aboriginal racism... well god, tell me where you live. I'm there.

Same place as me...(For some strange reason)

I haven't seen an act of racism against Aboriginals, either, but I don't walk around with my eyes open, so don't...worry about me. :(

facetious

facetious
BlAcKyBoI said:
Idiot. Why do you think aboriginals are in the state they are in? They have been living in drug and alcohol ridden conditions because when the English INVADED they bought along THERE money and THERE laws, destroying this country and sending the aboriginals into complete poverty, as they could not gain money to survive in this new world.
If the English weren't going to take the land, I'm sure the French would have! Just like all of those territorial war games, their dégringolade was inevitable.

You give your kind too much credit. The English were more advanced with their intelligence, stamina and aptitude and that was why they dominated over the wretched Aborigines. Sure, alcoholism may have played a part in their downfall, but they chose to submit to these pressures. It's now 2008. You'd think by now they would have done something else with their hopeless lives than to continue in this eternal loop of frivolousness. Even if monetary compensation is given, what do you think they're going to do? Do you think they'll try to get an education (or something else worthwhile), or run back to their dry and arid lands, sit around in a circle, drink more alcohol and watch each other fight one another? It's a no-brainer.

You clearly know nothing about the history of this country and why it is in state that it's in.
That must explain why I scored in the top 10% for VCE Australian History.

The current state of Australia is fine, other than the fact you're encroaching on our territory and need to go. Stop hanging on to a bygone era and realise that nobody cares about them anymore.

Go suck Kevin Rudd's arsehole and fight in Iraq. Pig.
If you think Aborigines are so smart, strong and nimble as you claim them to be, why don't they go fight in Iraq and die for a worthy cause (ie, not alcoholism, fighting among each other or HIV) instead?

I look forward to your insightful answer(s).

Last edited:

OzBlackman

OzCommunist
You give your kind too much credit. The English were more advanced with their intelligence, stamina and aptitude and that was why they dominated over the wretched Aborigines. Sure, alcoholism may have played a part in their downfall, but they chose to submit to these pressures. It's now 2008. You'd think by now they would have done something else with their hopeless lives than to continue in this eternal loop of frivolousness.

Yes. Of course there is NO white alchoholics is there. You took no notice of my explanation for why Aboriginals are in this conditions. And how is there life more hopeless than yours. What do you contribute to society?

That must explain why I scored in the top 10% for VCE Australian History.

Sure you did ;) How do you explain your complete lack of understanding about Australian History then?

The current state of Australia is fine, other than the fact you're encroaching on our territory and need to go. Stop hanging on to a bygone era and realise that nobody cares about them anymore.

You have no idea. NO idea. You stole this territory moron. It's not yours. If anything, it has become OURS. Asians, White People, Aboriginals, whoever. We are all part of this land. And people do care, that is why an apology took place.
If you think Aborigines are so smart, strong and nimble as you claim them to be, why don't they go fight in Iraq and die for a worthy cause (ie, not alcoholism, fighting among each other or HIV) instead?

I didn't explain myself well before. I probably shouldn't have proclaimed the black as better than the white. But tell me, how are those problems only issues with aboriginals? Caucausians have been fighting amongst eachother for centuries.

And HIV isn't a big problem with aboriginals. Not anymore than white people anyway.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war. I should have been more respuctful too. Noone should be saying anything racist, including me, including you.

Dusk

Dawn
I watched 'The Rabbit Proof Fence' last year and it is was really moving. I completely agree that what the nation has done in the past is wrong, but, I think we need to realize the government back then really believed that they were helping aborigines. They thought that by educating and teaching them they would be able to seek better lifestyles and jobs.

But I agree, we really do need to apologize for our actions in the past, they were unjust and heartbreaking.

Imperator_Venit

I don't want this to turn into a flame war. I should have been more respuctful too. Noone should be saying anything racist, including me, including you.

I think that's a great idea! :D

I believe that facetious should probably stop continuing this flame war as well, since...it's not getting anybody anywhere.

Personally, I'd rather be sittin' around drinking with my buddies than taking part in a pointless oil grab, wouldn't you? ~.^
Stop being a troll, facetious, you're just trying to piss people off, I doubt you even believe what you're saying.

Anyway, I think that's great. My own country should follow Australia's example; so should the US. Natives have gotten the short end of the stick even since Europeans could built a decent boat.

facetious

facetious
Eeveeboy_geoff said:
Stop being a troll, facetious, you're just trying to piss people off
Oh wow, I never knew! Thanks for the tip, m8!

Eeveeboy_geoff said:
I doubt you even believe what you're saying.
It's not so much what I believe, I'm merely going by what historians believe. They were trapped in the lowest echelon of society, and their land would have been snatched by someone eventually if Captain Cook never discovered Australia because they were stupid and weak. Go read some Australian history books and it'll tell you the exact same thing in a different context.

The reason why I don't like them now is because they're a waste of space. They don't try to become educated. They don't try to make a life for themselves. They don't do anything except sit in Darwin or where-the-hell-ever thinking that they're better than everyone because they're the "FOUNDERS OF THE LAND." Toss them into contemporary Australian society with some cash and I guarantee they won't make any use out of it.

We can though. Because we're cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.