1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Authentic cartridges

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by TeridaxXD001, Jan 30, 2020.

1. TeridaxXD001

TeridaxXD001 Member

I’ve been collecting foreign language copies of the Generation III games and I’m concerned about bootlegs. I have read that Spain in particular is notorious for having a lot of bootleg GBA cartridges being sold. I have a Spanish copy of Ruby, and while it’s damaged, it appears to be genuine. I’ve looked at a guide, and it said that the one guaranteed sign of a bootleg is a lack of embossed numbers next to the game’s logo on the label. Is this at all accurate?

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

The plastic shell is also an indicator for RSE only. If the plastic is completely solid in color, it’s fake. If it’s translucent then it is more likely to be real. There’s something else involving the cartridge but I can’t remember what it is righ5 now.

TokoyamiTheDark likes this.
  3. TeridaxXD001

TeridaxXD001 Member

Let me clarify what I meant in the first post, because I worded it somewhat poorly: embossed numbers are a guaranteed sign that the cartridge is authentic. Apparently bootlegs never have them, and never/almost never have the same holographic effect. Authentic carts have a normal logo with holographic backgrounds, while with bootlegs, it’s an “all or nothing” situation (whole label is holographic or none of it is holographic).

I just realized a problem with using the label as indication, however: some people replace damaged or missing labels with printed reproductions. So theoretically, an authentic cartridge could have any of those flaws, too.

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

By label you mean the sticker on the cartridge, correct? I just checked my English copy of Emerald version and it has two digits embossed on the sticker, which I assume is normal for legit cartridges. I'd check my other Gen III games to confirm if it's something that all GBA cartridges have, but I don't have them right now.

5. TeridaxXD001

TeridaxXD001 Member

Yes. As far as I know, all of mine have those. All of my American cartridges were obtained soon after their original release and aside from the ones I received as gifts, which I can’t speak to,
    they were purchased at legitimate retailers.

I also have a Japanese copy of Emerald, which I bought recently from Yahoo! Auctions, that came in the original box complete (manuals, promotional flyers and wireless adapter included), and a Spanish copy of Ruby, which was loose and damaged, but its label has all the traits to confirm it’s real, including the embossed digits.

Speaking of the damage, it looks like someone deliberately filed off those “tabs” on the sides of the cartridge. Does anyone have any idea why they would do that? My only guess is that they were trying for some reason to shove it into a Game Boy/Game Boy Color. I can provide pictures if needed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020