• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Authors/books you admire or recommend

Typhlogirl

keep battling on!
Wanted to make a thread here for ages. *winkage*

Well, this thread pretty much explains itself, and I feel it is appropriate for a facfiction forum. Are there any (real life) authors or books that you admire, or inspire you to write the way you do? Would you recommend any?

Me?

Brian Jacques. He is my no.1 favourite author of all time. If you haven't read any of his books yet, I suggest you do. The books are amazing. Here's a link to his website, if any are interested. http://www.redwall.org

I also find Tamora Pierce, R.L Stine, Emily Rodda, Lemony Snicket, Meg Cabot and Phillipa Gregory inspiring in their own ways.

What about you? Did any real-life authors inspire you to want to write?

-;157;

Last edited:
S

Shadowcat

You like Lemony Snicket too? Yes! Cause I love it too.

Well, I love:

Lemony Snicket, J.K. Rowling and a few others. I need to look for the books I love. *Goes to search* I used to like Enid Blyton when I was young, but I grew old for it now. Now *searches again*

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
I on't consider myself to be purposely inspired by other authors... but some inspiration must have leaked from then. Ew, that sounds gross.

Claie Bell is one I really like. She wrote the "Ratha's Creature" series, 4 books (I have yet to read the fourth, the third is my favorite). Ratha's Creature is actually a book recommended for younger readers (pre-teen or early teen I soppose), but the author was able to pull off animal mating without making it too graphic.

Kaizer

A Shadow of Darkness
Micheal Crichton. He's absolutely my favorite author and I have yet to read a book of his I haven't liked. I'm still looking for Sphere, but I think that's it.
His books are written for an older crowd, but if you like the suspenseful evironments and technothriller of any sort then you've got to read his books. He's even got a few hospital ones that are insanely good simply because he makes everything so realistic and knows all the real terms to use and everything. He's also got a couple of mystery-like novels, but I just like them all so far.

Kiyohime

Stephen King, Charles De Lint, Neil Gaiman, Francesca Lia Block, Aldous Huxley, Kurt Vonnegut...etc, etc. All three write the types of stories which I love-- horror, surrealism, urban fantasy, satire of mankind itself, etc. Though I would NOT reccomend any of those for people in the 14-or-less crowd. Lots of mature themes, and sexual themes in several of the authors' stories (particularly in Block and Gaiman's.)

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
ok, this will make me sound uncultured...but stephen king. i effing <3 that guy. all of his books are original, and his writing talents are underestimated. really more people should respect him [/fangirl]

Dias

Fenrir
R.A. Salvatore is a must for any reader of fantasy.. Troy Denning is another favorite (especially The Twilight Giants Trilogy).

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay is quite possibly the greatest book I have ever read.. though you really have to appreciate symbolism and heavily thematic literature to understand and enjoy it.

And then of course I enjoy all of those old, boring: authors: William Shakespeare, Edmund Spenser, Edgar Allen Poe, Jonathan Swift, Herman Melville, H.G Wells, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, Jane Austen, Mary Shelley, Geoffery Chaucer, Andrew Marvell, Percy Shelley, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, William Blake, Mark Twain, Henry David Thoreau, Flannery O'Connor, William Wordsworth, George Orwell, Ambrose Bierce, Ben Johnson, George Herbert, John Keats, etc.

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
Orlando Paes. He's making a great legacy about a christian family that will span the eras with the tale of Angus MacLachlan.

Also, let's not forget Jostein Gaarder, the philosopher. Read some of his books whenever you can (I recommend The Orange Girl, if you actually want something less philosophical (although I think that's stupid)).

Last edited:
Iveechan said:
I on't consider myself to be purposely inspired by other authors... but some inspiration must have leaked from then. Ew, that sounds gross.

Claie Bell is one I really like. She wrote the "Ratha's Creature" series, 4 books (I have yet to read the fourth, the third is my favorite). Ratha's Creature is actually a book recommended for younger readers (pre-teen or early teen I soppose), but the author was able to pull off animal mating without making it too graphic.

What? Someone actually made an appropriate describtive sex scene? Up until now, I didn't think that was even possible. Well, as soon as I find this book, I'm going to read it. *puts aside the nessacary amount of money. (Uh, BTW, how much do you think that is?)* I've read too many a story that had sex scenes that were quite inappropriate and gave sex a bad name. As soon as I read this, I'm sure it'll be quite a change.

Anyways, one I would recommend is Dave Pelzer. If you haven't heard of him, I highly suggest you read his books. (A Child Called "It", The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave) They are about his life. Now, that may sound corny, but what if I told you he was one of the most abused children in the cases of abused children in California history? Sounds interesting now, doesn't it? He was abused physically, emotionally and spiritually throughout his life. (You wouldn't even believe the "publishing abuse" he had to go through to make his book a reality. *sadly sighs* it just seems like the world was against him and he did nothing more than live it.)

"A Child Called 'It'" is about his life from 4-12. (Note: This is from the back of the book. Yes, I have read it myself. Yet, I find it rather difficult to describe. As proof, my own comments are in ( ).) He was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."

Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. (At one point, his mother starved him for 7 days just as a punishment. All he had through that time was nothing more than the crust of a pie piece.) The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. (His mother actually made everyone believe she was a "nice" mom. One that found abuse a sin.) He had nothing and no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive - dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.

Through each struggle you'll find yourself enduring his pain, comforting his loneliness and fighting for his will to survive. This compelling story will awaken you to the truth about child abuse - and the ability we all have to make a difference.

(Trust me, despite the violence and language, this book is well worth reading. In fact, the book has inspired me to put such a thing into "The Deadliest Tournament." You'll definately see how well I know the story when I put this into my fic. (Note: at this point, I want to use the word "it," but the word sounds so wrong now.))

"The Lost Boy" depicts his life from 12 to 18. (Once again, from the back of the book. And yes, I have read the book. And yet again I will provide my own comments as proof at certian points.) Imagine a young boy who has never had a home. His only possessions are the old torn clothes he carries in a paper bag. His only world is isolation and fear. Although this young boy has been rescued from his alcoholic mother, the real hurt is just beginning - he has no place to call home.

This is Dave Pelzer's long-awaited sequal to A Child Called "It." Answers will be exposed and new adventures revealed in this compelling story of his life as an adolescent. Now considered an F-child - a foster child (Note: People call a foster child an F-child if they don't feel them worthy of being one of the family.) - young David experiences the instability of moving in and out of five different homes. Those who feel that all foster kids are trouble - and unworthy of being loved just because they are not part of a real family - resent his presence and force him to suffer shame. (He had to steal just to be found popular among his schoolmates. He didn't want to do it, but he wanted friends. Yet, even with that, you'll see that he had ZERO friends in his teen years.) Tears and laughter, devastation and hope: all create the journey of this little lost boy who desperately searches for the love of a family. (He does get one eventually, but nearly too late in his life. He's almost 18 at that point and he hasn't learned all the lessons needed to survive out there.)

Though many in society ridicule the foster-care system and social-service fields, Dave Pelzer is a living testament to the necessity of their existence. Whether you are a fan of the author or picking up his work for the first time, The Lost Boy is a sequal that will move you and stand alone as a shining inspiration to all. (What he goes through here, you won't believe.)

"A Man Named Dave" depicts his life from 18 to 36. (Note: This one is my own statement. I have yet to finish the book. Sadly, I have lost such a thing. If I can not ever find it, I will buy it with my own money and pick up where I left off. I promise to the world, I WILL FINISH THIS BOOK.) Now out on his own, Dave goes through every little thing an adult does: Marriage and family. However, it is not as happy as you may think. The family he left behind is abused by his mother and beg him to be saved. Yet he knows he can do nothing to save them. His wife finds it difficult to love him. He is constantly abused by the torture of his past, which often asks him to abuse his offspring. To top it off, he finds it hard to forgive his mother. Which he knows that if he doesn't, he will become her.

"A Man Named Dave" is a one of a kind story that brings you through the spirital abuse he went through as an adult. From leaving the one he actually considered FAMILY, all the way up to, IIRC, where he has a nine year old son. (Back then I used to spoil myself and look at the ending part way through. Fanfics have taught me alot about patience.)

Dave Pelzer is a living example that proves that if you just truely believe in your dreams, they will come true.

Trust me, these stories are worth reading. You won't regret it in the end.

I guess that this is what has inspried me to write the main majority of my stories. Stories that hurt your heart and soul. Stories that reflect the sadness in the world. I believe that if I never read these stories, I wouldn't be the author I am today.

Amazing how such stories can be a part of your life, huh?

katiekitten

The Compromise
Finally! Anyway, here are my favourite books and authors... *goes and looks at bookshelf*

Tamora Pierce. A truly brilliant author. The first book of hers I read was Tricksters Choice, which had me hooked immediatly. From there I have read the Song of the Lioness quartet, the Immortals quartet, (which is where I got insperation for Domegos personality) and finally the Protector of the small, although I need to read the last one. When ever I look for it at a bookstaore, it's sold out. :(

Harry Potter!! Surely one of the greatest series ever. I don't really like the movies though, they twisted the plot to much for my liking, left to much out. I don't have anything else to say, except it ROCKS.

Where would we be without Artemis Fowl? An absolutely ingenius book, that combines magic with real life, action, and mystery. I have enjoyed every single one, and I cannot wait for more. It is written by Eoin Colfer, and is a must read. :)

All hail Garth Nix! Another great author, who can pack quite a punch with his Abhorsen series. I got inspiration from Lireal for my fanfic, it is the second and is my favorite by far. The keeper of the keys is good also, but cannot breach the awesomeness barrier. He knows how to write a good story, and they are must reads. I sttrongly recommend Sabriel, it is a perfect mix of Death, adventure, mystery, and a little bit of romance. For teenagers at the lower rungs of the age ladder. (12/13/14+)

Eragon... My best best best favourite book. Christopher Paolini is off to a great start with his Inheritence trilogy. I can't say anything more about it, except READ IT!!

Nearly forgot, the series of Unfortunate events. Miserable, and funny in a sad way. A very good read. I have the twwelfth, but I am already reading Terry Pratchet.

Terry Pratchet! The king of comedy. I am currently on Moving Pictures. He was sneaky, not dividing them up into chapters, because I keep on reading, and reading, and reading, promising myself that I will stop at the next chapter. Of course, as there isn't any, I end up staying up until one in the morning before I can finally put it down. XD

Two more to go, now! Debi Glori's Pure Dead magic series. It may be for younger readers, but it is a delightfully humourus series that combines fantasy, magic, sibling rivalry, dragons, actra. I perfect book to read when you are feeling low.

And Finaly, last but not in the slightest the least... *drummroll* Jonothan Stroud! Author of one of the best Trilogies of all time, he sure knows how to write. His Bartimaeus trilogy is wonderful, it surely is. It is written from a Demons point of view, Bartimaeus of course, and is very funny. I can't say anything else about it, except read the first book: The Amulet of Samarkand.

Well, that's my lot. My favourite books. I really recommend them. :)

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, I like the Harry Potter books and adore A Series of Unfortunate Events like xXSapphireXx. A Series of Unfortunate Events has just my type of humour. The sixth book was my favorite... although I did love the seventh and like the eighth and ninth too. And obviously, there were gems in all the books... I still haven't gotten the twelfth, though. ><;

Psychic

Really and truly
Well, I obviously reccomend the Harry Potter series to anyone who hasn't read it. And guys, believe me when I say that the books are waaaay better than the movies.

I'm with Typhlogirl when I say that Brain Jacques is an amazing writer. His Redwall series is amazing and great for anyone who wants to live 'the simple life'.
The Silverwing books are great as well. I really loved reading them and 'seeing' from the point of view of a bat.
I really enjoyed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a witty book full of all kinds of twists and puns that make you grin. Typhlogirl, I swear, this is your kind of series!
The Crysalids is an all right book that I based my fic off of. If you like mutatnts, radiation and psychic powers, this is the book for you.
Lemony Snicket is also a brilliant writer whose series of unfortunate events are a must-read if you're feeling a litle down. ''It's always better to think of someone who's worse off than you,'' as someone in a book I really hated once said.

Speaking of crappy books, NEVER EVER read The Wasp Factory.

~Psychic

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
Well, I'm a big Tolkein fan. His books aren't an easy, light read but they're exciting and meaningful, and worth putting time into if you're really looking for something with depth. The way he incorporates symbols and ideas is very good, and past The Fellowship (which is really quite boring, I won't lie, and initially turned me off to the series) the books are exciting. And seeing the movie doesn't count :p

I've also come to like Nathaniel Hawthorne a lot, though my English teacher is making Scarlet Letter a hell to read. I really recommend Ethan Brand and Young Goodman Brown.

Whoo, I got through a post without dissing... well... :X

Feity

Storm Trainer
I like Lemony Snicket as well, but I admire and sorta base my writing around JK Rowling.
Harry Potter = Life, I have read each book 9 times.

S

Shadowcat

Forgot somebody.

Roald Dahl (His Books are good)

Yeah, and Dragonfree, is the twelth book out already? *Goes to check a Series of Unfortunate Events's Website* Oh no! *Begs mother for an early Christmas Present*

Me myself love the Fifth Book and Eleventh and tons of them. I'll check for more before posting here. I love the 3rd Book of Harry Potter and almost all of Roald Dahl's Books. Till Then.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
im also a big fan of anyn rand. if you have a remote interest in philosophy and society, read the fountainhead and atlas shrugged. those are true classics. and theres a guy named james frey who wrote a memoir called a million little pieces which was extremely powerful and definitley worth reading. basically, its about his stint in rehab. he was a drug addict wanted for several crimes and almost dead from the abuse to his body. he was alienated from his family, had ruined his relationships with most people he knew, and lived for drugs. he was sent to rehab after being so high off crack he fell off a fire escape and smashed his face up. basically, this is a rather graphic and extremely honest recollection of his recovery and treatment in hazelton, a very very famous clinic to my knowledge, and how he put his emotional problems back together

Quackerdrill

say yes to love
Lets see, time to cash in on the ole memory banks...Um, anything by Ray Bradbury, Hawthorne I can withstand (to a point), Steinbeck, Twain, and definitely Harper Lee. ^_^ Not that I haven't read Harry Potter and Redwall and such; they are good reads, but don't really stick out in my mind.

Kamia_Jay

Writers that inspire me are Lemony Snicket, Garth Nix(the best writer in the world!!!!) D.J. Machale(The other best writer in the world!!!) David Clement-Davies, G.P Taylor, J.K Rowling and Stephen D. Sullivan

P.S. I read the twelth book od Series of Unforunate Events, it is awesome!!!!! You would never guess what will happen!

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer
I have a ton of books in my bookshelf. Most of them aren't in a series, but they are fine gems to find and read. I've read The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper a few years ago and they were pretty good fantasy series. I have also read Gail Tsukiyama's series with the Women of the Silk and its sequal, The Language of Threads. Both were great, but a few sad moments towards the end of both books. Over the summer, I finished Isabel Allende's first triology for young readers, which were City of the Beasts, Kingdom of the Golden Dragon, and Forests of the Pygmies. Most of the reviews I saw for these books weren't positive, but I enjoyed them for the imagery and the powerful story line in them. In that triology, I would recommend the Kingdom of the Golden Dragon. It is the best one out of all three. Just a few months ago, I finished Eldest by Christopher Paolini in his second book in his Inheritence trilogy. I loved that book and Eragon so much. The dragons, the story, and the character growth is amazing.

As authors, I have a couple of books by Maeve Binchy like Quentins, Circle of Friends, and Tara Road. I liked Quentins more than the other two, but I was drawn into her books because they're set in Ireland and I'm Irish so it fit. I have read some of Isabel Allende's other works like House of the Spirits and I just finished Zorro: A Novel. Both books were great to read. I've read two of Charles Dickens's books: Great Expectations and Oliver Twist. I'm not sure which is better, but both are excellente. I've read a couple of Jack London's books like Call of the Wild and White Fang. Both wonderful books for dog people, but there are a few sad and/or scary moments. All of the other books I have are one time books, such as The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which is another great book.

I got most of my desire to be a writer by reading so many different kinds of books. I saw what beautiful worlds their words tapped into and felt like I could get into those places through their works. I also heard how Christopher Paolini could write a great book like Eragon before getting out of college and I thought that I could do that too. Now, I write every chance that I get and I get such a wonderful feeling every time I write.

Now, people can tell that I really love to read and write from this. I really need a new bookself. I'm like the only person in my whole English class that actually looks foreword to reading.

Last edited:

katiekitten

The Compromise
Same for me, Hidden Mew. I read for at least an hour each night before bed. I think you would really enjoy The Otori trilogy, by Lian Hearn. The first one is 'Across the Nightingale Floor.' :)

I can't believe I forgot Tolkien.. He isn't on my bookshelf, you see. I take it out of the library. Yeah, The Fellowship is very boring. On the two towers, I kinda skip the Frodo and Sam bits when ever I can. It just sends me to sleep.

I remembered a different Author! Lian Hearn, and his Otori trilogy. Across the Nightingale Floor is a touching book set in Japan before it came into contact with the western world. An epic tale of romance, tradegy, war, betrayal, and lots of adventure. :) And magic, an added bonus.

Have I forgotten any others?... *Thinks hard*

For girls, TTYL. A really nice book, for teenage girls. A nice read.

Sugar Rush. A book about a girl who falls in love with another girl. A very good story.

The Magicians Guild by Trudi Canavan. The first in a brilliant trilogy that will capture your heart. A must read, I can guarantee that most of you will love it.

Last edited: