1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Autumn Friendly RMT (and, yes, I'm using Terracotta)

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by kaiser soze, Oct 9, 2011.

1. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

So I'm making a team for the Autumn Friendly, but I don't have much experience with VCG '11 or Doubles in general.

Rules
    • Essentially VCG '11
    • Double battles set at lv. 50
    • Only UNOVA pokemon allowed (except Victini/Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyhurem)
    • Item clause
    • No hax/sleep clauses

The Team
    :547::639::593::591::604::558:​

[​IMG]
    Whimsicott @ Mental Herb
    Timid, Prankster
    252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
    Beat Up
    Tailwind
    Taunt
    Helping Hand

Basic Terrakion partner set. Tailwind on first turn to get faster than opposing Terracotta combos while Terra Protects. Beat Up for the Attack Boost. Taunt to stop threats like Amoongus etc. Helping Hand to provide some help if I live longer than I should.

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Lum Berry
    Jolly, Justified
    252 A/252 Speed/4HP
    Protect
    Earthquake
    Close Combat
    Rock Slide

Protect while Whimsy Tailwinds. Since it's my main sweeper, I got a Lum Berry to avoid taking a Prankster TWave or Spore. QuakeSlide combo and Close Combat, pretty generic I'm afraid.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent @ Water Gem
    Modest, Cursed Body
    252 SA/228 Speed/28 HP
    Water Spout
    Protect
    Shadow Ball
    Ice Beam

Redesigned this to take advantage of the Tailwind speed boost. 228 Speed EVs are enough to outspeed Choice Scarf Chandelure running max speed with a Tailwind, and some leftover HP for bulk (hopefully enough to disable something). Protect while Tailwind is being set up or if a partner is using EQ. Shadow Ball for an alternative STAB, plus cover Ghosts and Psychics. Ice Beam covers against Grass, Dragons, and Flying. Water Spout hits both opponents without Surf's friendly fire at base 150, plus Water Gem boost, but is kinda a one-shot deal.

[​IMG]
    Trollmoongus@ Leftovers
    Bold, Effect Spore
    HP 146 / Def 132 / SpA 52 / SpD 180
    Spore
    Rage Powder
    Giga Drain
    HP Ice

Trololol....No sleep clause means I can use Spore all I want. Rage Powder to take heat off of partners like Terrakion and Hydreigon who may have Fighting attacks incoming. Giga Drain to not be Taunt bait and do some damage while living longer. HP Ice to provide some diversity and counter the Genies.

[​IMG]
    Eelektross @Choice Specs
    Modest, Levitate
    252 SA/168 Speed/88 HP
    Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    HP Ice
    Grass Knot

I added this as a special sweeper since it has wider offensive coverage than Thundurus. Choice Specs HP Ice gives me a OHKO on Haxorus, who's likely to carry Mold Breaker (a big concern), who needs to be killed on the first turn because otherwise I'm not going to outspeed +1 max speed Haxy. 168 speed EVs by my calculations is enough to beat the Genies under Tailwind. Grass Knot always OHKOs opposing Terrakion too (coverage vs. all the Musketeers :D). Thunderbolt for STAB of course, and Flamethrower is valuable for stopping Ferrothorn, Escaviler, Amoongus, Virizion, and Durant. [/]

[​IMG]
    Crustle @White Herb/Life Orb
    Adamant, Sturdy
    252 A/252 Speed/4 HP
    Shell Smash
    Rock Slide
    X-Scissor
    Earthquake

Strong Psychic counter and backup physical sweeper. Shell Smash to solve speed and attack issues. X-Scissor for STAB and SE on Psychics. Rock Slide for moar STAB, hitting doubles, yada yada. Earthquake for coverage; this is why it's a backup to Terra.

Well that's the team for now. Feel free to be critical, I'm inexperienced at Doubles. Just realize that there will be no non-Unova pokes on either teams.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Snorby

Snorby Snorby

I'd go with 200 SpA, and 52 def on Jellicent. Then I'd use Sub and Shadow Ball, as it wreaks ghosts that want to ruin your day.

For Trollmoongus, DEFIANTLY Brightpowder. Terrikion should get LO, since wide guard stops EQ, and, really, who uses anything ground but EQ in doubles?

3. PokeMaster366

PokeMaster366 Well-Known Member

Hope this helped.

4. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

Well I found out that Terrakion doesn't have Wide Guard *facepalm* so it's now Protect. A lot of this team's success will be from using Team Preview

A few ideas I'd like to bounce around:
    - Escaviler to stop TR Musharna and Reuniclus
    - Mienshao might cause some problems, so maybe try to put Tornadus in?

5. Your two ideas are not really good

6. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

Care to elaborate?

7. 3.14kachu

3.14kachu 2.72pic √(-1)nventor

None of your pokemon have Protect. Isn't that a bit dangerous? In the doubles metagame, not having Protect on at least a mojority of your pokemon is a serious strategic disadvantage.

8. Well, the threats that you mentioned are not too dangerous, I think your team is good the way it is;)

9. TrollFreak

TrollFreak Pit is Awesome :P

Rated on request, i think

10. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

Alright. Team has been edited; I'm now focusing on getting a speed boost out of Tailwind to take advantage of slower mons' sweeping potential. Edits are underlined. Noticeable is the addition of Eelektross and Crustle. Special thanks to DragonMaster123 for a good rate and solid suggestions and PokeMaster366 for inspiring me to try Eely.

Rate away ^_^

11. PokeMaster366

Countering the genies is a job you might want to leave to your other pokes aside from Amoonguss, and also, like DragonMaster said,

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING GIVING AMOONGUSS A RECOVERY ITEM OR BRIGHTPOWDER INSTEAD OF A COBA BERRY!? DO YOU WANT TORNADUS TO BLOW A HOLE IN HIS HEAD!? IF YOU DON'T, USE A COBA BERRY!

Speaking of your Haxy problem, you're scarfed Hydreigon from before would be ample for dealing w/ Haxorus since Hydreigon trolls Haxorus w/ Base Speed 98 < 97. All you need is Dragon Pulse to take him out. The same can be said about enemy Hydreigon. All it takes is a Dragon Pulse w/ max Sp. Atk, max Speed set and Timid nature to take him out. I'm just pointing out options. What you do with your team is your call, not mine.

On to Crustle. Sturdy kind of defeats the purpose of the White Herb and the Life Orb defeats the purpose of having Sturdy. It feels like, with Crustle's arrival, the item clause is killing you since a Sturdy Shell Smasher's 2 favorite items are the Mental Herb and the Lum Berry, which are both in the hands of TerraCott. I know he's a Psychic counter, but most Psychics in 5th gen are too focused on setting up TR, so that leaves only the Dark type counter list, which begins and ends at Hydreigon, and Carracosta does a better job of killing the Genies with Rock Slide since he has access to a priority move as well and is not weak to Rock attacks.

Good work on raising the Whimsicott and Eely even though Specs limit your options.

Going off topic here, does anyone know how to deal with trolls? I think "farfan" has been trolling me.

12. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

Ok, ok, I'll use Lefties. I'm fairly good at making reads off of Team Preview, so Amoongus is going to be sidelined if Tornadus pops up anyway.

Haxorus isn't a problem, but as the only Unova poke with Mold Breaker off the top of my head he is the best check to any Eelektross, so I took that into consideration for items/speed, etc. to get the OHKO.I'm also crossing my fingers for a DD on the first turn or just dumb players.

13. PokeMaster366

Oh. Okay. I'm still on the fence about that Scarfed Hydreigon to save you a Haxy headache from him and other Hydreigon. Meh, Thunderus has always been a jerk to a lot of teams, and he'll troll almost your whole team as much as Farfan trolls me. Luckily, I have an immunity to troll logic/abuse. XD

Right now, I feel like Brook from One Piece whenever he says one of his skull jokes.