• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

erebus

Hi I'd like to join. Didn't kno there was an Avatar: TLA club till I saw your sig, so here I am lol.

I'd be an airbender from the air nomad clan given the choice, exept I'd probably bail on my peole and travel the world on my flying bison as a lone wanderer (WAY before the time of Sozin's commet though, coz dragons are cool!).

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Hey, I just remembered something, it wasn't Sozin's idea to conquer the world for power, but more to spread the prosperity of the Fire Nation. Unfortunatly Azula and Ozai thought you would do that the best by destroying the whole Earth Kingdom. Doesn't explain though why Sozin would exterminate all Air Nomads...

Hi Erebus, now you mention the dragons, do you think that you could revive the dragons with the two who are left? (if they are male and female). It would do be great for the fire nation to have dragons again and see the beauty of fire again...

Last edited:

erebus

Hey, I just remembered something, it wasn't Sozin's idea to conquer the world for power, but more to spread the prosperity of the Fire Nation. Unfortunatly Azula and Ozai thought you would do that the best by destroying the whole Earth Kingdom. Doesn't explain though why Sozin would exterminate all Air Nomads...

Hi Erebus, now you mention the dragons, do you think that you could revive the dragons with the two who are left? (if they are male and female). It would do be great for the fire nation to have dragons again and see the beauty of fire again...

Hi. Well, knowing genetics like I do I'd say that it is a very bad idea to try and revive a species using just two individuals.

As far as Sozin wanting to 'spread the prosperity of the Fire Nation', didn't Bush want to go to war in the Middle East to 'spread democracy'? Yet both seemed to think that it was/is acceptable to slaughter thousands of people on their path to spreading prosperity/democracy.

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Sozin's idea was good, but the way of achieving it wasn't the right way. In the Netherlands we have the saying: Het doel heiligt de middelen, you can translate it into The goal must be achieved, the way to achieve it doesn't matter. I think that was Sozin's Idea, but I disapprove with the saying, because if the way is war, it is never good..

About the genetics: There are more ways to get variation in a specie, for example mutations in the DNA. And it is still the survival of the fittest, so if those dragons won't adapt they will extinguish anyway. Credits to my Biology teacher and Dutch Teacher for remembering that, normally I forget those things within an hour

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
A little about me. I'll admit I didn't watch avatar until the end.I kinda dislike the channel it was presented on. I think the first episode I saw was the boiling rock. So I was rather late, but now it's overall one of my more watched shows;even though there reruns.

Why did I choose water bending? The choice was difficult I really like the fire Benders style of fighting(northern shaolin Kung Fu) However, Water bending simply appeals to me more then the other element(Tai chi is pretty cool.) I also find Blood Bending to be one of the cool ability. I think it could be used for a lot of good. And not all the bad they portrayed it as. But I really hope they explain more about energy bending in the legend of Korra. Anyway, think of how much easier the fight against azula, during sozins comet arc would have been if katara, used her blood bending. But it would have also been a little boring and by an artistic view very dry;which the 4 part sozien comet arc was not artistically dry.(main reason why I looked up the series online)

Favorite Character-Iroh but zuko is a very close second.
The most interesting Character-Zuko and Azela are tied.
Movie-The movie, watching the full series before the movie came out I didn't like the movie. Fire Benders received as massive downgrade in power. The actors didn't match the characters personality,Dev Petel did an okay job as Zuko. There was to much important info missed and changed.

Thats my avatar story.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
21bkp21, Assassin9399, Heldigunner1, erebus, I welcome you to our club, just as thebluekid has! I've added you all to the front page under your respective nations.

Speaking of the member's list, I've done a little work on it, and I'd like an opinion or two from anybody who saw it previously. It was kind of tacky and repetitive having each person's nation next to their name, so I tried something new and I think the entire front page looks much better now!

I'd just like to take this moment to thank my loyal co-owner, thebluekid for all of his help with the club, especially keeping things active while I'm absent, which I blame completely on school, and White Version to be honest heheh.

Do you think the Fire Nation was really evil?
I've never once believed that anybody in the Fire Nation was evil, except Sozin and Ozai. Sozin's general idea of controlling the world was evil itself, but when Ozai decided to act on this plan by burning down the entire world was downright evil.

I know many would love to argue that Azula was definetly evil, I disagree. I feel that Azula is power-hungry, controlling, and most of all - desperate for attention and respect from her father. These are all traits that can be placed on many people in our own world. I think that Azula also had some mental instabilities that led to her dark behavior.

Also, I believe that many members of the Fire Nation were corrupted by the idea of world domination, such as the Leader of the Southern Raiders who killed Katara's mother, but not full-blown evil.

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
The fire nation
The military was only doing as ordered, if they didn't do as ordered they would have ended maybe in the boiling rock or another prison. So you can't really say as far as we know evil in the military. The citizen where much more disciplined, and portrayed themselves to me at least, as the rich people who look down at the lower and middle class.

Oazi-Was definitely evil, there is no gray area for Oazi

Sozin-Started off as an idealist, then he fell in love with the power and needed more. His original idea of spreading the fire nation culture wasn't evil. When I think of Sozin I think of Karl Marx,the father of communism. He has a good idea,however what is needed to make the idea a reality is bad.

Azula-Definitely unstable mentally,her character portrayed a sociopath IMO. Mostly towards her brother, deep down I think she wanted Zuko's life. But her consistency to walk all over people made her in a sense Evil

Zuko-I'm not saying Zuko is evil at all. As season 1 presented itself, it would have seemed as if Zuko could have been the main antagonist of the series. Even in season 1 signs where shown he wasn't evil(Blue spirit was the first sign) he is however obsessed.

Last edited:

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
I was wondering:
In the end of the episode the Avatar and the Fire lord, I had the idea, that sozin regretted what he had done in his last days, so I'm wondering, in the days he searched for the avatar, is it possible he wanted to help restore the order with the avatar? I mean, he had killed his friend, and he didn't sound to happy about it...

So my conclusion on Sozin is: He wanted power, and when he had it, he regretted what he had done to get it (letting Roku die).

Personally I have a hard time to just say that Sozin was evil... I can't believe a man can change so much, then kill his friend, conquer half the world, trying to extinguish whole the Air Nomads, and at the and think you've done a great job. The scroll's Zuko red weren't happy, satisfied scroll's.

thebluekid

X and Y Versions?!
Welcome to the club erebus!

Heldigunner1 - You're not alone in your love of blood bending. One thing I am curious about it though, is since Katara is capable of healing others with her water, what if she were to try to combine both blood bending and the ability to cure? Possibly cleansing the blood/wounds easier? And I think blood bending can only be done on a full moon or something, right? I love the idea, but I only saw the episode once, so my memory of it may still be a bit hazy.

Trainmaster718 - Aw! You don't have to give me thanks, I love this club and keeping it alive. And tell me about it, I'm juggling school and White and other things as well (Portal 2 soon anyone?) And as for the man who killed Katara's mother... When we saw him later on he was just a weak old man, wasn't he? If that's the guy I 'm thinking of, when she went out to find [what I assume to be the murderer] with Zuko.

As for the Azula and Zuko chatter, you guys pretty much summed it up for me!

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
As far as the healing thing,that is what I was speaking of when I said Blood bending could be used for good purposes as well. I understand why the master water benders prohibit the learning and using of blood bending, but it doesn't change the fact that if blood bending can work the way I think it can, it would just make medical practice easier.

I has never actually confirmed that the full moon is required to blood bend. The old women (name escapes me) said she could only do it during the full moon, do to it how much energy is required to use the technique. In the episode where Katara went to find the leader of the southern raiders, I don't believe there was a full moon and she was able to blood bend.

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Good Point,

I'm no fan of Blood Bending, it is powerful, but makes a good fight impossible. I can imagine why the water master want it forbidden, sure it can probably been used as healing, but if a water bender knows how to blood bend, he will a very powerful skill. Probably the same thing as when every Fire Bender can summon Lightning and every Earth bender can bend metal.

Come to think of it, maybe these skill are specializations, and only the most powerful can used it. Think of it: Azula, Ozai and Iroh can fire bend, Zuko is a good guy, but isn't a top fire bender, such as Azula. Toph and Bumi can metal bend and Katara and that old woman (can't remember her name either) can blood bend.
If you look at it that way, the question is: What is/ should be the specialization of the Air Nomads?

PS. Don't know if it is a good topic and if i can start one...
PS. Did I write specialization right, and is it the right name for it?

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Assassin9399, that's a very good topic idea! We've had others similar to it before, but never to speculate on this matter!

What is/should be the specialization of the Air Nomads?
Having seen/heard of much less about the Air Nomads than all other nations, we can easily assume that there is a lot about them that may suprise us. If the Air Nomads had a specialization, I imagine it would be something substansially different than anything we've seen of Airbending thus far. And Aang would have had no idea about this technique because he didn't stay with the Nomads long enough to meet an Airbending master. So, my theory: Air Removal/Destruction. Say you were an Airbender who was defending your temple from a strong oppenent. Do the proper motions, and woosh! All of the air around the opponent's head is gone, and they pass out from suffication. This would be an effective meathod for Air Nomads to defeat enemies without killing them, which follows their idea of passivism.

PS. Any member is welcome to start a topic in this club!
PS. You spelled specialization perfectly, and it's the perfect word for the subject!

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
Do the proper motions, and woosh! All of the air around the opponent's head is gone, and they pass out from suffication. This would be an effective meathod for Air Nomads to defeat enemies without killing them, which follows their idea of passivism.
If they could do that, they would be able to take the air from a fire which would destroy it. Although this is your opinion of their specialization I think they were skilled enough to take the different gases from the air and bend it away. If water benders could bend vines, or even blood, I'm almost 100% sure they'd be able to do that.
Why didn't they just keep doing that with the fire nation?

thebluekid

X and Y Versions?!
What is/ should be the specialization of the Air Nomads?
Hm... Perhaps changing gases from one gas to another? Or the air destruction like TM said. I always imagined Aang in a room of Fire Benders and Aang just taking all the air out of the room temporarily to knock them out, but not so much as to do damage to their brains.

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
If they could do that, they would be able to take the air from a fire which would destroy it. Although this is your opinion of their specialization I think they were skilled enough to take the different gases from the air and bend it away. If water benders could bend vines, or even blood, I'm almost 100% sure they'd be able to do that.
Why didn't they just keep doing that with the fire nation?

Because there would be only a very few who would be able to do that, and even with all its uses against fire bending, one thunder bender and you have a problem, since lightning doesn't need air...
So it also won't be to much overpowered, against water: take out the oxygen of water, and then it would be useless. But to stop blood bending it would require to take all oxygen out of your own body, which will kill yourself. So it's completely in balance. Air and Earth are opposites, so it wouldn't affect earth nor would metal bending affect air (simply dodge the junk of metal fired at you)

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
I think one of the theories they had was that some of the airbenders actually transformed into the air when the fire nation invaded. I can kinda see that being there advance technique. Break down there bodies into air molecules and then reappear at another place.

shinyponita

Friendly Trainer
Hi! Sory for didn't post for so long time but I have lots of work now in school I had at least one test for week.

About the question of the full moon, that's realy need for blood bending. Those are some of my favourite episodes, and I remember well the one of shouthern raiders, and the second turn I seen it I have repaired that was full moon, I'm shore.

What is/ should be the specialization of the Air Nomads?
I have think about this a lot of times and never got any ideia. But may the best of the ones I read is: (if I understand well) that they could separet the different gases of air, I bend it separately.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Welcome, avatarsokia! I will add you to the members list as soon as this message is posted!

I think they were skilled enough to take the different gases from the air and bend it away. If water benders could bend vines, or even blood, I'm almost 100% sure they'd be able to do that.

they could separet the different gases of air, I bend it separately.

First of all, I would like to point out that you cannot purify air by taking other gasses out of it. Air itself is the combination of multiple gasses, and removing them to only leave one would simply be breaking it down to just one gas. If, by chance, you mean to remove the nitrogen and other gasses from air so that all that remains is oxygen, that still wouldn't be very handy for Airbenders, as far as I can tell.

I think one of the theories they had was that some of the airbenders actually transformed into the air when the fire nation invaded. I can kinda see that being there advance technique. Break down there bodies into air molecules and then reappear at another place.

This is probably one of the best speculations for this. I never even thought of that. Brilliant.

lawmaster

What is that?
Hello i am a large fan of avatar and would love to be part of this club if i am excepted water tribe is what i would like to be

Status
Not open for further replies.