• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Awakening Signatures/Banners

Naw I use gimp <.> I am still a bit new at it XP but eh. And yes I did look for brushes and found a few. I haven't used them yet though <.>' Probably soon though ^_^ and I will try to not over use images.. dump <.> Xp

Okie well I tried making what you guys recommended and so I made a quick banner and tried finding the commands that change the logo wording <.> (So new XD) Anyways, I did found them yay and tried using one I guess found likable <.> >.>

So this is another one <.> an experiment of sorts with the wording. <.>

ExpSeby.png

I guess you can judge the wording, Its.. neon glow <.>

Haha cool I use GIMP too! I can teach you to make glows and outlines; they're not hard.

1) Create your text layer
2) On the Layers window, right click the text layer and duplicate it. You should now have two text layers
3) On the Layers window, activate the lower text layer by clicking on it
4) Now that the layer is activated (it means you're working on that layer), go to the main GIMP window
5) Layers > Layer to Boundary Size. Now the layer should no longer appear to be a text layer on the Layers window, right? This is important by the way. If you skip this step, the glow will be awkwardly cut off to the left like on your Black Butler banner.
6) Right click the layer on the Layers window and click Alpha to Selection. Remember that there's two pieces of text directly on top of each other! The lower text should now be selected (the "marching ants" should be marching around it)
7) On the main GIMP window, go to Select > Grow > Grow Selection by 1 pixel and press OK
8) Now the marching ants should be a bit farther away from the text. On the Toolbox window, change your Foreground color to the desired color of the glow. Got it?
9) Now that you got the Foreground color, go back to the main GIMP window and Edit > Fill With FG Color
10) Press Ctrl + Shift + A or go to Select > None to deselect the selection. Tada! You should have your outline!
Kay you got your outline. Now turn it into a glow!
11) Assuming you haven't touched anything since step 10, the active layer should be the one under the text layer. Go to Filters > Blurs > Gaussian Blur and set it to 5 pixels for both vertical and horizontal and hit OK
12) You should have a glow! Easy as that. 5 pixels of Gaussian Blur should work well for most sizes of text, but for especially bigger fonts (ex. Size 78 fonts) you should try increasing the number. Also, in this guide, I had you Grow the Selection by 1 pixel in step 7. Again, 1 pixels is usually good for most sizes but you might want to Grow the Selection by more pixels if you intend on using very large text sizes.

After a bit of practice glows and outlines, they should be a snap! I listed twelve steps but it'll seem like 3 once you get used to it.

[Edit]
I see that your latest banner
AABBanner.png

has the glow effect already applied to it. If you're comfortable with what you're doing now, you can disregard my guide. You can always come back here if you want to do my kind of glows!

Last edited:

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Haha cool I use GIMP too! I can teach you to make glows and outlines; they're not hard.

1) Create your text layer
2) On the Layers window, right click the text layer and duplicate it. You should now have two text layers
3) On the Layers window, activate the lower text layer by clicking on it
4) Now that the layer is activated (it means you're working on that layer), go to the main GIMP window
5) Layers > Layer to Boundary Size. Now the layer should no longer appear to be a text layer on the Layers window, right? This is important by the way. If you skip this step, the glow will be awkwardly cut off to the left like on your Black Butler banner.
6) Right click the layer on the Layers window and click Alpha to Selection. Remember that there's two pieces of text directly on top of each other! The lower text should now be selected (the "marching ants" should be marching around it)
7) On the main GIMP window, go to Select > Grow > Grow Selection by 1 pixel and press OK
8) Now the marching ants should be a bit farther away from the text. On the Toolbox window, change your Foreground color to the desired color of the glow. Got it?
9) Now that you got the Foreground color, go back to the main GIMP window and Edit > Fill With FG Color
10) Press Ctrl + Shift + A or go to Select > None to deselect the selection. Tada! You should have your outline!
Kay you got your outline. Now turn it into a glow!
11) Assuming you haven't touched anything since step 10, the active layer should be the one under the text layer. Go to Filters > Blurs > Gaussian Blur and set it to 5 pixels for both vertical and horizontal and hit OK
12) You should have a glow! Easy as that. 5 pixels of Gaussian Blur should work well for most sizes of text, but for especially bigger fonts (ex. Size 78 fonts) you should try increasing the number. Also, in this guide, I had you Grow the Selection by 1 pixel in step 7. Again, 1 pixels is usually good for most sizes but you might want to Grow the Selection by more pixels if you intend on using very large text sizes.

After a bit of practice glows and outlines, they should be a snap! I listed twelve steps but it'll seem like 3 once you get used to it.

[Edit]
I see that your latest banner

has the glow effect already applied to it. If you're comfortable with what you're doing now, you can disregard my guide. You can always come back here if you want to do my kind of glows!

Well I am comfortable with how I am doing so far, but I would still love receiving advice from anyone ^_^ Just getting a few more skills to improve and get the skills a bit more broad :D

And I will definitely try to use the guide you just gave me :3 Thanks ^_^

For naow XP

DarkTruth.png

FilmDarkTruth.png

TeamAwa.png

Last edited:

Skarm™

Light It Up
Icarus you're getting so much better at your art!! I love the last one with Joltik!

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Well haven't had time to make banners >.> But I did one yesterday for the Code Lyoko ^_^ Here:

WilliamBanner.png

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
You're getting better but I can see VERY FAINT (very very very very faint) lines around the text, it's like a box around it.
But you're definitely getting better.

Yeah I actually tried my hardest to reduce that but the neon was being.... not friendly with moi. Too low made it not pop out and overly, well that would show the boxed neonness.

Yeah I actually tried my hardest to reduce that but the neon was being.... not friendly with moi. Too low made it not pop out and overly, well that would show the boxed neonness.

I know this problem. I had it when I was learning glows, too. It's easy to fix and is caused by a minor overlook of detail. Before you apply any effects to the text, you must remember to change the Text Layer into a Regular Layer. You know how when you create text, there's a text box where your text goes in? Yeah. That's the box that cuts off the glow. Activate any Text Layers and go to Layer → Layer to Image Size to increase the boundary of the layer box. This way your glows won't get cut off from the sides (mostly the left).

This is what happens when you forget to change the layer boundary:
egsgsegseg.png

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
keep going awakening your getting better :) i can't help as much since i have photoshop but if want i can help you other ways XD listen to pika...he has gimp, im sure he can help you..

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
Can you make me a 3DS banner?

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I know this problem. I had it when I was learning glows, too. It's easy to fix and is caused by a minor overlook of detail. Before you apply any effects to the text, you must remember to change the Text Layer into a Regular Layer. You know how when you create text, there's a text box where your text goes in? Yeah. That's the box that cuts off the glow. Activate any Text Layers and go to Layer → Layer to Image Size to increase the boundary of the layer box. This way your glows won't get cut off from the sides (mostly the left).

This is what happens when you forget to change the layer boundary:
egsgsegseg.png

Ah... that sounds easy enough :3 Thanks! ^_^

keep going awakening your getting better :) i can't help as much since i have photoshop but if want i can help you other ways XD listen to pika...he has gimp, im sure he can help you..
Yeah, I still need to use Pikas' first advice, but haven't ad time to use it properly with classes and such >___> sucks for moi. I try to though ^_^

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Well I haven't been in here in a long time and i have done quite a lot so please check my first post with new aditions XP I want to know how to improve on those new banners... like the extraction ones :3

Here are a few new ones:

Pop out banner.. ish XP
WarTeamTini_zps24fc26ff.png

ExBanner:
LilligantDance_zps2e99e701.png

Simple Banner:
LuHaxTyph.png

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Well I haven't been in here in a long time and i have done quite a lot so please check my first post with new aditions XP I want to know how to improve on those new banners... like the extraction ones :3

Here are a few new ones:

Pop out banner.. ish XP
WarTeamTini_zps24fc26ff.png

ExBanner:
LilligantDance_zps2e99e701.png

Simple Banner:
LuHaxTyph.png

already critiqued the the first one in the art club but the other too are nice lucina...the text on the lilligant like i said is hard to read but other wise its really nice :) your getting better ;)

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I'm Lovin It™ McDonalds

Thanks Skar XD

already critiqued the the first one in the art club but the other too are nice lucina...the text on the lilligant like i said is hard to read but other wise its really nice :) your getting better ;)

Ah yes just saw it <.> I didn't know what other color to use on the Wording of Lilligant and I spent like half an hour trying to find how to remove Gallades' white pixely things on his upper body. I gave up after that <.> >_>

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Thanks Skar XD

Ah yes just saw it <.> I didn't know what other color to use on the Wording of Lilligant and I spent like half an hour trying to find how to remove Gallades' white pixely things on his upper body. I gave up after that <.> >_>

here is a tip...you can't remove that white pixels spots very easy you you would need to have a extremely steady hand to erase those things with the eraser...my advice try finding images that are png and already extract and as well try finding images that are already rendered to the point for you...im thinking of making a rendering of my own on day of a game or person...it takes alot of work to get images at good quality...normally png images are the best to extract without getting those white pixels...there are some out there that do but its really rare to find...

like this for example:

ssbbkirbyrenderbydarkfipe0.png

this is already a pre render for you to use since you see that symbol..these are the best to use in your banners but if you own a art shop like me your not so lucky for that option...that is the power of decling and accepting requests though ;) hope that helps... for the lilligant try toning down the text color a bit and also try making it gradient or something give it something to pop right now imo the grass is blending in with grass...im here to help you as best as i can lucina :)

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
Thanks Skar XD

Did you see my post at the artist club?

Cause this place: pldh.net

Gives Pokemon renders-transparency included. Also a suggestion on removing the monocolor background. Also one for getting transparent.